Taylormade Fade Biased?

hangontight

My son hit his buddies SIM yesterday at the course.  My sons normal flight is a slight draw with his XR16 (std settings), the TM was sending everything Left to Right (std settings).  He had to try to hit a hook for it to go straight.    Picked up his driver - back to normal slight draw, so it wasnt like his swing was off that day.   I've heard before that the Callaways may be a bit upright/draw biased.  Does anyone know if the TM's are fade biased?    In the market for a new driver, curious for feedback if anyone has experienced any bias with TM or any other manufacturers - also wanting to try Cobra.

*No need to recommend he get a fitting - he already has, but lack of shorter shafts meant limited options.  Just looking for experience opininions* Thanks! 

1 hour ago, hangontight said:

My son hit his buddies SIM yesterday at the course.  My sons normal flight is a slight draw with his XR16 (std settings), the TM was sending everything Left to Right (std settings).  He had to try to hit a hook for it to go straight.    Picked up his driver - back to normal slight draw, so it wasnt like his swing was off that day.   I've heard before that the Callaways may be a bit upright/draw biased.  Does anyone know if the TM's are fade biased?    In the market for a new driver, curious for feedback if anyone has experienced any bias with TM or any other manufacturers - also wanting to try Cobra.

*No need to recommend he get a fitting - he already has, but lack of shorter shafts meant limited options.  Just looking for experience opininions* Thanks! 

From personal experience I have found the same thing.  Can't hit a TM driver to save my life but Cally, Ping or Titleist are all money.  I thought it was just a mental block of mine but I'm going with your belief that they are fade biased.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

4 hours ago, hangontight said:

I don't know how old your kid is, but I do know I read that overweight Clubs can impede a kids progress to hit the ball further in long term.  While you may pick up ball speed with the OEM head, long term speed will suffer.  So the question is, Do you want them to hit the ball long now or longer in their teens?

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

I don't know how old your kid is, but I do know I read that overweight Clubs can impede a kids progress to hit the ball further in long term.  While you may pick up ball speed with the OEM head, long term speed will suffer.  So the question is, Do you want them to hit the ball long now or longer in their teens?

10 next month, and THE question was simply (and slightly rephrased to try to keep the thread on topic) :   does anyone notice if, in your experience, TM Drivers are fade biased ?  ...thats it.  

So,  @heavy_hitter-  you have brought up two kids in golf who surely have gone through many many drivers.   Your response to THE question would be appreciated and very helpful information to myself and probably many others on here.  In your experience , have you noticed that TM drivers tend to be more fade biased than others?

Thanks! 

I haven’t owned a TM driver since the R501 TP in the early 2000’s. (Possibly my favorite driver of all time. When something came loose inside the head, TM sent me an R7 TP, which I did not like at all.)  At the time, their TP lines were fade biased. I didn’t think their regular models were. Since most amateurs have trouble with fades/slices, I’d be surprised if that’s changed.

Edited by bdecena

I ran into a similar issue and found that taylormade tends to be fade biased at least in the stock shafts. It didn’t make sense because Rory and some other on tour seem to have no problem hitting draws.

I found out the problem isn’t really the head but the flex in the shafts they provide at least in my kids swing profile this was the case.

In a lot cases we also found the stock shafts in Ping and Callaway were very similar your going to hit a fade with those shafts too.  That is assuming the shaft doesn’t fit the swing.

Going to a fitting where they have hundreds of shafts is great way to solve this but for me it resulted in a new driver and - choice of premium shafts that all were over $300.  I learned a lot but sure wish there was a better way. 

With modern drivers the shaft is probably more important then the head.

Edited by tiger1873

41 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

... It didn’t make sense because Rory and some other on tour seem to have no problem hitting draws.

The TM drivers they use on tour are nothing like the drivers you or I could buy at retail.  There's no reason to ever try and compare the two.

The exception to this rule is PING.  Their drivers are the same on tour (minus some hotmelt and tighter tolerances on the lofts) that you can buy in retail.

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

55 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

The TM drivers they use on tour are nothing like the drivers you or I could buy at retail.  There's no reason to ever try and compare the two.

The exception to this rule is PING.  Their drivers are the same on tour (minus some hotmelt and tighter tolerances on the lofts) that you can buy in retail.

That is not entirely true.  There playing the same stuff everyone else is.  They need confirming clubs like everyone else does.

They however have the advantage of fitting vans and ability to customize the equipment as needed. Plus they can and do replace their equipment a lot more.

In the driver cases they might try 4 or 5 heads until they find one they like.  You or me get what whatever they give you.  

18 hours ago, hangontight said:

10 next month, and THE question was simply (and slightly rephrased to try to keep the thread on topic) :   does anyone notice if, in your experience, TM Drivers are fade biased ?  ...thats it.  

So,  @heavy_hitter-  you have brought up two kids in golf who surely have gone through many many drivers.   Your response to THE question would be appreciated and very helpful information to myself and probably many others on here.  In your experience , have you noticed that TM drivers tend to be more fade biased than others?

Thanks! 

No.  My son has always used a TM Driver until this year.  He plays a draw and has never had a problem with it.  He didn't like the look of the Sim head.  He plays a Mavrik Sub Zero now which is supposed to be fade bias and does not have an issue hitting the Draw with it either.

• Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Very helpful replies. Thank you.    It did have the stock TM shaft in it - someone mentioned that .  Very well could be a non-issue with his trusty Recoil in it.  Will make sure to try that if we can and look at it from all angles but little bits of information along the way is helpful. Thank you.  

It may be because TaylorMade tends to tip their shafts 1" from the factory, regardless of the OEM tipping instructions.

Go to the TaylorMade website and go to the "Custom Shop".

Then choose the SIM Driver, with whatever shaft and flex you want.

Then select "Tipping Adjustment".

You'll see you have the ability to adjust the tipping to 1" Soft.

Now, think about it.  You can't add 1" to the tip of a graphite shaft.  The only way to add that 1" is to not tip the shaft from the jump.

I've experienced this firsthand when I ordered a Standard TM shaft, as well as a 1" Soft TM shaft.

Tip to first graphic measurement was exactly 1" shorter on the Standard TM shaft, because it was tipped, even though the OEM suggests 0" tipping in their spec sheet.

Search around WRX on this topic and you'll see further validation.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2020 at 7:57 PM, tiger1873 said:

That is not entirely true.  There playing the same stuff everyone else is.  They need confirming clubs like everyone else does.

They however have the advantage of fitting vans and ability to customize the equipment as needed. Plus they can and do replace their equipment a lot more.

In the driver cases they might try 4 or 5 heads until they find one they like.  You or me get what whatever they give you.  

You probably want to tour a tour truck sometime. 

Edited by TripleBogeysrbetter
  • Haha 1

On 9/23/2020 at 10:07 AM, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

You probably want to tour a tour truck sometime. 

I have and the customizations they do to clubs can completely alter them. 

You can get pretty much the same service if you know where to go. 

Most people though need to hit the ball better then worry about customizations to the club.

if you find a club fade biased and another draw biased good Chance it has more to do with the shaft then actual club head. 

Before I would blame the shaft though I would blame the actual swing path of the golfer. You really only know you have a problem if you try altering that path and it just doesn’t work. 

This why having access to a good launch monitor is so important.

On 9/26/2020 at 8:11 AM, tiger1873 said:

I have and the customizations they do to clubs can completely alter them. 

You can get pretty much the same service if you know where to go. 

Most people though need to hit the ball better then worry about customizations to the club.

if you find a club fade biased and another draw biased good Chance it has more to do with the shaft then actual club head. 

Before I would blame the shaft though I would blame the actual swing path of the golfer. You really only know you have a problem if you try altering that path and it just doesn’t work. 

This why having access to a good launch monitor is so important.

or owning one. 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

im in my sophomore year of college and switching from a taylormade has been the best thing I can do for myself, I naturally hit a fade and like to play the power fade like DJ and a few other of the newer golfers play, I had an M3,M5 and almost purchased a SIM but when I did more testing I found that with same shafts same lie loft etc... the taylormades were more fade bias, which sure can help my fade but on bad days makes it uncontrollable, when I changed manufactures in my fitting the bad shot were not as punishing. Might just be me but I agree TM is way more fade bias then other maufactures. 

SrixonZX7 9.5 degreee, HZRDOUS Smoke Green 6.5tx 60g 

Callaway- Rouge SZ, Hazardous Yellow 6.5 76g 

MizunoMP18 MMC Fli High 2 Iron, C Taper 130x 

Mizuno- MP20 MMC 4-6 1Degree Week, MP20 Blade 7-PW 1 Degree Strong, C Taper 130x

Titlelist- SM8 52 12F, 56 12D, 60 10S, C Taper 130X 

Putters - Evenroll ER2 Black 35.5in