KHT Autoflex shaft

chocolate_rehab

34 minutes ago, rlb4 said:

Does reducing the backweight on these drivers, especially Ping G425, reduce their MOI and thus forgiveness? The heavier/lower CG backweight is the main reason for their high MOI and forgiveness.

I would think that is correct.  Making the G410 PLUS and LST perhaps a better match.

I picked up this weight kit cheap (used) on Facebook marketplace - and it really allows for all sorts of fine tuning with the 410.

Gofotu 9PCS Golf Weights&Wrench Compatible with Ping G410 SFT Plus Driver 4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20g

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Fujikura Speeder Evo II 661 X (with 20g weight in butt)

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Taylormade MG4 56* and 60*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

6 hours ago, rlb4 said:

Does reducing the backweight on these drivers, especially Ping G425, reduce their MOI and thus forgiveness? The heavier/lower CG backweight is the main reason for their high MOI and forgiveness.

I am sure there is some effect, but two things.

On a G400 max....there are two tungsten weights.  One is interchangeable (copper weight with screw) and the other is fixed.  You can see it right behind the removable one.  Has tungsten written on it and is 16 grams.  So it is not like there is no weight back there.

What I am seeing is the removal of the screw in copper weight...gets the G400 max to an acceptable overall weight for the shaft to handle.  Will other lighter OEM heads work better...likely...but I didn't want to change heads.

I am playing at 44" so the shorter shafy does somewhat stiffen it up vs 46 inches.  I am finding the forgiveness to be fine and less weight along with lower loft keeps the spin and launch angle down....again 195 grams is working well for me at 44".  May need even lighter if playing much longer.

• Thanks 1

Played 18 holes yesterday first time with the Autoflex, Sim 10.5 degree.  A few observations.

1.  It seems to go slightly longer with a easier swing

2. The ball launch higher even though I turn the Sim down to 9 degree from my usual 9.75

3. Still learning to be able to hit it harder, need to master the smooth fast swing.

4. Not as easy to flight it down in a windy condition.

5. It is so much easy to hit it straight, the dispersion is unbelievable good.

I need to get a 9 degree head to test it out.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.

Callaway Paradym TD 15, Autoflex 505X.

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym AI Smoke HL 8 hybrid, Ventus 8S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 8 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

My view after a couple of rounds and some range work with SF505.  It is definitely staying in the bag.  Observations:

Agree with post above...the key is hitting it harder while STILL hitting it smooth.  Trying to smash it does not work like it does with traditional shafts.  You have to let time for the shaft to kick.  What makes AF different is the spin stays in low even while feeling the shaft move so much.

I have played around with different grip weight and tee heights just to see what changes.  Ultimately...i have moved to slightly lighter weight grip and about 1/2 of the ball above the club head at address.  Any more and launch angle jumps north of 20*.  Any less and spin jumps north of 2500rpms.

Still no outrageous distance gains as some have gotten, but same distance +/- 5-7 yrds with easier swings.  Plus, much tighter dispersion comes from swinging within myself.  I know many don't want to cut their shafts so as not to kill resale value, but in my opinion you should play the Autoflex at whatever length you are used to as it will match your swing plane.  Then its just a matter of trusting the club head will be there at impact even though it feels like it will be late as heck.

On 2/18/2021 at 5:36 PM, bward said:

Their suggestion is about mass, not swing weight. A 193 gram head and a 207 gram head can swing weight the same based on shaft length, but the 207 gram head will impart much greater flex and overall impact on the shafts dynamics. Short and heavy may work, but it isn’t what they are suggesting.

Thats a misunderstanding
Flex as CPM and SW follows 1:1 and thats means high SW = weaker flex, lower SW stronger flex.
2 clubs, different shaft length, different head weight but the same SW value would be as close to each other on flex as we can get it, so head wgt numbers is relates to play length, that number has no meaning without.

in your example you have 14 grams head wgt difference, and at the playable play lengths for drivers we are in the area of 1.6 to 1.65 grams pr SWP. if we use 1.65 we get 8.5 SWP if used at the same play length.

If we want the heavy head to play like the lighter one, we will have to adjust play length on the club with the heavy head, equal to 8.5 SWP = Go 1.40" inch shorter.

• Like 1

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

2 hours ago, bap1130 said:

Not exactly a glowing endorsement for the AutoFlex....

He just needs to change how he swings to accommodate the shaft.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

My swing with my driver is not the same I use with my irons

TSR3 9* | Ventus Blue TR 6X

TSR2+ 13* | Ventus Red 7X 

T200 2-Iron | Ventus Blue HY 10X

T150's 3-PW | DG TI X100

SM10 Raw 

50.12F | DG TI X100

54.12D | DG TI S400

60.08M | DG TI S400

TM MySpider X Blk on Blk 34"

Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, Bad9 said:

He just needs to change how he swings to accommodate the shaft.

1 hour ago, pgatw said:

It seems to me that Adam's driver is just too different from the rest of his clubs. Trying to adjust his swing for one club is not 

sustainable under the gun.

1 hour ago, 1s1k said:

My swing with my driver is not the same I use with my irons

WOW, I guess I should consider myself lucky!!!!

I didn't have to change anything once I put the AF in play. Worked from the very first swing.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG One and Done w/Super Stroke 5.0
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Adam's autoflex problem is not a swing problem but more a set up problem I believe.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.

Callaway Paradym TD 15, Autoflex 505X.

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym AI Smoke HL 8 hybrid, Ventus 8S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 8 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

I think I am going to pull the trigger on the AF SF505x. I have a Cobra SZ, but will likely pair the shaft with the Radspeed 10.5*. Does anyone know how much this clubhead weighs? I've searched online and can't find anything. Seems like to get the most out of the shaft you need a club head in the 190-192 g range. 

My SS right now is around 100 MPH and I'm doing tge superspeed program to pick up more speed. My ballspeed avg is in the mid-140s. Spin rate is typically around 2500 and I don't get a ton of height on my drives - probably because I have a negative angle of attack that I'm working to get back to neutral/positive. This is killing my carry which avgs about 225 - so I'm looking to pick up clubhead speed and ballspeed to improve distance. 

Have a bunch of golf trips coming up in March and April so hopefully can get my setup soon and get into a groove before hitting Pinehurst a few times and Scottsdale over the next few months.

10 hours ago, JMATHEEENS said:

I think I am going to pull the trigger on the AF SF505x. I have a Cobra SZ, but will likely pair the shaft with the Radspeed 10.5*. Does anyone know how much this clubhead weighs? I've searched online and can't find anything. Seems like to get the most out of the shaft you need a club head in the 190-192 g range. 

My SS right now is around 100 MPH and I'm doing tge superspeed program to pick up more speed. My ballspeed avg is in the mid-140s. Spin rate is typically around 2500 and I don't get a ton of height on my drives - probably because I have a negative angle of attack that I'm working to get back to neutral/positive. This is killing my carry which avgs about 225 - so I'm looking to pick up clubhead speed and ballspeed to improve distance. 

Have a bunch of golf trips coming up in March and April so hopefully can get my setup soon and get into a groove before hitting Pinehurst a few times and Scottsdale over the next few months.

I have a 505x and had to get my head weight down to 183-185g to work properly for me. Just make sure you get a head that has the ability to take out a bunch of weight for experimenting. Mine was 179g with the 14g weight removed. Started to get a 2 way miss this light, and ball speed dropped a bit.. 190-193g definitely didn't work for mine either at 46". Unplayable - high and right to massively right. This shafts performance is extremely sensitive to head weighting. 

I wouldn't recommend the 505x for a 100mph swing speed. You should be in a 505. I was at 110 range pre autoflex and still thinking of dropping down to a 505.   

Edited by RyanP

Just to give an experience that seems to differ from most other users, I seem to be getting better performance at a heavier head weight (199g vs 192g) in my PXG Proto X+.  I’m getting better dispersion and ~4-5mph extra ball speed at the heavier head weight.  So, it is worth experimenting.

Ping G425 Max 9˚ w/Mayazaki Mizu 5554 6s shaft and BestGrips Microperf grip

Taylormade SIM Ti 3W 15˚ w/Evenflow Riptide 60 6.0-S shaft and BestGrips Microperf grip

Taylormade SIM Ti 5W 19˚ w/Evenflow Riptide 60 6.0-S shaft and BestGrips Microperf grip

Callaway Apex 20˚ Hybrid w/Kuro Kage Black 80Hyb stiff shafts and BestGrips Microperf grip

Srixon Zx7 5-7, AW and Z-Forged 8-PW w/Project X 6.5 shafts and BestGrips Microperf grip

Vega 52˚ (bent to 53˚) VW-10 and 60˚ VW-06 wedges w/KBS FLT shafts and BestGrips Microperf grip

Cobra King Grandsport Armlock 

OGIO Silencer stand bag

Uneekor EyeXo launch monitor w/TGC2019 and E6 Sim software

1 hour ago, tngolfer1976 said:

Cobra RAD 10.5 head weight is 195 grams.

Thanks for the response - do you know if this is inclusive of the 12 and 2 gram weights that come with the club? Do you have any idea how much the Radspeed XB weighs? I'm going to hit that one to see if I like the spin rate tradeoff for extra forgiveness.

1 hour ago, RyanP said:

I have a 505x and had to get my head weight down to 183-185g to work properly for me. Just make sure you get a head that has the ability to take out a bunch of weight for experimenting. Mine was 179g with the 14g weight removed. Started to get a 2 way miss this light, and ball speed dropped a bit.. 190-193g definitely didn't work for mine either at 46". Unplayable - high and right to massively right. This shafts performance is extremely sensitive to head weighting. 

I wouldn't recommend the 505x for a 100mph swing speed. You should be in a 505. I was at 110 range pre autoflex and still thinking of dropping down to a 505.   

What clubhead are you playing? 

I ordered the 505x at 45.75 inches based on the club maker's recommendation. I'm doing superspeed training so I think my swing speed will ultimately end up 105+ without the increase I hopefully get from the shaft. 

The shaft with adapter and grip installed should get in on Tuesday/Wednesday then I'll do a lot of tinkering with my settings on my flightscope mevo. Can't wait to start this experiment!

What grips are people using on the rainbow AF shaft? I'm thinking maybe a blue or green Pure Pro or Pure DTX grip.

2 hours ago, JMATHEEENS said:

What clubhead are you playing? 

I ordered the 505x at 45.75 inches based on the club maker's recommendation. I'm doing superspeed training so I think my swing speed will ultimately end up 105+ without the increase I hopefully get from the shaft. 

Currently Callaway Epic. Wanted to use standard Mavrik but I can't get it quite light enough (for me), since it only had a 5 gram removable weight. So swapped to a Mavrik Sub-Zero to try next week. It's about 193g and can remove up to 16g so I will have a lot of flexibility to tinker with. 

Edited by RyanP

I've tried so many different configuration with the Autoflex.  I had the Sim, then went PXG ProtoX.  Sim was the better of the two.  Then a freind of mine was able to hook me up with a new Callaway so I switched back to my Epic Flash until the new Max LS got delivered.  Flash was OK but spun too much.  Had the same issue with the Max LS as it was spinning about 600 more than a stock Callaway shaft that was fit for me.  I reached out to Autoflex since I had the club at D1.7 and confused why it was still super spinny.  The way I got to D1.7 was by adding lead tape in the but of the shaft under the grip.  Autoflex guys said that it doesn't help to counterbalance in the grip to get the swing weight down.  I took out the sliding weight and added lead tap to the front of the driver head which moved the weight forward.  This got the spin down a bit but the sound and feel just wasn't right.

I picked up the new Radspeed and it's such a good fit  Being able to put all the weight forward.  Also the head weight is already light enough.  I've added close to 20 yards out on the course.  Just have to tinker with the head weights and find what works the best.  But once you do...just swing slow and smooth and the ball just takes off.

JMATHEENS, you and I are similar swing speed.  See my review on page 22 on a 505 butt cut down to 44".

As many have mentioned...even though you are trying to increase speed to fit into the 505x, don't try to overswinging.  The AF loves smooth transitions.  I like the choice of the cobra rad speed (worked for for txg), but don't think you need 10.5 degree if your are already struggling with spin.  Most are finding success lofting down and putting positive attack angle.

We have same swing speed and ball speed.  You have about 25 yards more carry potential easy.

1 hour ago, ewill48 said:

JMATHEENS, you and I are similar swing speed.  See my review on page 22 on a 505 butt cut down to 44".

As many have mentioned...even though you are trying to increase speed to fit into the 505x, don't try to overswinging.  The AF loves smooth transitions.  I like the choice of the cobra rad speed (worked for for txg), but don't think you need 10.5 degree if your are already struggling with spin.  Most are finding success lofting down and putting positive attack angle.

We have same swing speed and ball speed.  You have about 25 yards more carry potential easy.

My swing speed is on the top end of the 505 but the bottom end of the 505x. I don't really like to go after driver swings and prefer a smoother tempo'd swing, which typically works best for me. I just reached out to see if I can swap for 505 - we'll see. I play a UST Helium Silver stiff shaft now (56", 59 g's, SS recc. of 90-105) so I am used to swinging a lighter shaft.

2 hours ago, jdorfman said:

I picked up the new Radspeed and it's such a good fit  Being able to put all the weight forward.  Also the head weight is already light enough.  I've added close to 20 yards out on the course.  Just have to tinker with the head weights and find what works the best.  But once you do...just swing slow and smooth and the ball just takes off.

How do you have the Radspeed configured? Looking to mainly hear which AF shaft, what length you're playing, then how you have your weights configured in the clubhead and what weights you are using. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the Radspeed 9* soon.

5 hours ago, JMATHEEENS said:

My swing speed is on the top end of the 505 but the bottom end of the 505x. I don't really like to go after driver swings and prefer a smoother tempo'd swing, which typically works best for me. I just reached out to see if I can swap for 505 - we'll see. I play a UST Helium Silver stiff shaft now (56", 59 g's, SS recc. of 90-105) so I am used to swinging a lighter shaft.

How do you have the Radspeed configured? Looking to mainly hear which AF shaft, what length you're playing, then how you have your weights configured in the clubhead and what weights you are using. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the Radspeed 9* soon.

I have the SF505 and my swing speed fluctuates from 100-105 MPH.  I picked up the 9 degree Radspeed and the first round I played it at 7.5 but yesterday played it at 8.  I wanted to get a little less roll and a little more carry.  Autoflex already launches the ball higher than normal so 8 really works for me.  I have the 12g weight upfront and the 2g weight in the back.  Mostly to help keep the spin down as I don't tend to have a problem hitting the center of the club face and don't need the higher MOI of the weight in the back.  I have the shaft uncut from Dumina so I think it's 45" playing to around 47.25".  I thought the SIM was a good fit and only switched because my client got me a Callaway.  But after that fail I thought I would try the Radspeed as I heard it was great to lower spin and so happy I did.  I was close to getting the TSi4 as that was hitting some monster drives with the stock shaft.  But mishits were brutal.  Not to mention Radspeed is "cheap" compared to the other new drivers.

Can some folks chime in on Radspeed vs Radspeed XB? As well, going with 10.5 and lofting it down?

My miss is usually toe so I think I should be looking at the more forgiving heads. 

I have tried Sim Max, G425 Max, Sim 2, Sim 2 Max and Mavrik SZ...haven’t quite found the right combo. 

I do prefer softer feel on the face. I would have gone with the G425 Max (I bought additional weight to dial it in) I just couldn’t deal the noise that Ping drivers make. 

appreciate the help!

Driver - Test Mode
TM BRNR Mini 12.5 - Rogue Black 60X

TM Stealth 16.5 - Rogue Black 70TS

Titleist TS2 5W - Rogue Black 70TX

PXG 0211 7W - Rogue Black 70TX

PING G425 5H - Proforce V2 F5

PXG Gen4 PW-6 Steelfiber fc115cw

PXG Milled Wedges 50, 54, 58 - Recoil Wedge

Ping Tyne V2

ProV1x

Ok, update. 

mavrik SZ at 9 degrees N. SF 505x Stock length with Iomic Sticky 2.3. Took out back weight and have 2g in front. Added 3g lead tape weight to back (too cover hole) with 1g leaning to fade (toe). 

sitting at D6. Seems when I push to get to D1/2 she’s to inconsistent. I am 6’ 1” and 215lb. It’s hard for me to swing a light driver. Maybe there is something to the NA dudes not always needing D1/2. 

best feel so far, good numbers, not bad dispersion but still have a couple slipping left but I think that’s me swinging to fast (getting tired, it’s been a long weekend with hundreds of balls hit).

I ordered some Mavrik weights and will play around with some different settings. 

Edited by stealthall

Driver - Test Mode

Ping Tyne V2

ProV1x

1 hour ago, stealthall said:

Can some folks chime in on Radspeed vs Radspeed XB? As well, going with 10.5 and lofting it down?

My miss is usually toe so I think I should be looking at the more forgiving heads. 

I have tried Sim Max, G425 Max, Sim 2, Sim 2 Max and Mavrik SZ...haven’t quite found the right combo. 

I do prefer softer feel on the face. I would have gone with the G425 Max (I bought additional weight to dial it in) I just couldn’t deal the noise that Ping drivers make. 

appreciate the help!

One vote for G400 max.  Maybe the most forgiving driver ever made.  I find the sound to be better than G425 max.  I lofted my 9* down to 8*.

That's an amazing number of heads you have tried.  Did any setup beat your pre-autoflex gamer?  I guess what I am saying is this autoflex thing has a never-ending search for unicorn setup written all over it.

Finding a head you love to look down on and can stand the sound of seems to then allow dialing in the shaft.  I really think STATIC club weight is crucial.  If you are used to a heavy club you can add grip weight to keep tempo in check...even if it means swing weight in the C range. 

Good luck...you have changed that adapter a few times.  Hope you hit the jackpot.

14 minutes ago, ewill48 said:

Sorry...realized you asked only about Radspeed.  Didn't mean to redirect you.

no worries. The answer to your question about being better then my gamer is yes, 100%. I struggle with down AoA. The Autoflex addresses that for me. 

i do like the sound of the Mavrik. I may also try the Proto X. If the Mavrik stays then I will have the orange parts painted pink. 

Driver - Test Mode

Ping Tyne V2

ProV1x

21 minutes ago, ewill48 said:

One vote for G400 max.  Maybe the most forgiving driver ever made.  I find the sound to be better than G425 max.  I lofted my 9* down to 8*.

That's an amazing number of heads you have tried.  Did any setup beat your pre-autoflex gamer?  I guess what I am saying is this autoflex thing has a never-ending search for unicorn setup written all over it.

Finding a head you love to look down on and can stand the sound of seems to then allow dialing in the shaft.  I really think STATIC club weight is crucial.  If you are used to a heavy club you can add grip weight to keep tempo in check...even if it means swing weight in the C range. 

Good luck...you have changed that adapter a few times.  Hope you hit the jackpot.

question on grip weight. Is it placed at the very butt end or front end of the grip?

Driver - Test Mode

Ping Tyne V2

ProV1x

35 minutes ago, ewill48 said:

also just weighed the current Mavrik head and it’s at 187g

Driver - Test Mode

Ping Tyne V2

ProV1x

On 2/23/2021 at 11:24 AM, RyanP said:

So far In initial testing I have found the same thing with my 505x.. lighter head weight is critical and makes HUGE changes with autoflex. Swing weight set to D1 solely by messing with the grip end didn't do much for me. It's just tricking the swing weight scale. Currently I am getting best dispersion results head weight of 185g plus 8g adapter. My initial build started at D6 with 193g head + 8g adapter. Did not work, High and right fade to unplayable ultra high slices.  Made most drastic change possible with my head and pulled out all 14g of weight, C7. Accuracy much improved, ball flight came down, but developed a slight 2 way miss and low smash. Added 6g lead tape, D1. Smash back up and accuracy unbelievably good. I am not an accurate driver normally yet I can no longer make this club draw or go left at all. My prior miss was 2 way with an overdraw or a high fade. My dispersion is unbelievably good now. I am not seeing club speed gains like others so far but accuracy and consistent strikes on a 46" driver is ridiculously good.

I would never have believed  a measly 8g of head weight could make a driver go from literally unplayable to laser accurate, but it did.  

Interesting. I have been struggling with getting to D1/D2. Best results came from the head weight being at 187g. Still need to do a little more work but getting close.

Driver - Test Mode

Ping Tyne V2

ProV1x