KHT Autoflex shaft

chocolate_rehab

3 minutes ago, keepingsanitythrugolf said:

Did your see swing speed increase by going 46.5?

The reason why I asked is because I noticed a few have been playing this shaft longer than what they normally would. In our case, we all trimmed to the length we normally play at because we didn't want this to be an expensive version of the Cobra Long Tom that came out about 10 years ago.

When cobra came out with the Long Tom, the concept was a long and super light build.

It was 48", 50 gram shaft, total weight of 269 grams. And it actually worked. Reviews at the time showed up to 20 yards in increased distance, due to the faster swing speeds because of the length and lightweight combo.

I think it did, along with the whip of the shaft.  I wanted to try 46.5" first, because once you cut you can't go back.  That said it's only .75" longer than my standard driver so it feels ok.  I would personally start with as long a shaft as you can handle, to maximize the speed you get.  I was pretty concerned with the extra length, but this shaft loves a long smooth takeaway.  

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9*, AutoFlex 505X 46.5" 
Titleist TSi3 15 - GD Tour AD-DI 7X
Titleist 818 H2 19 - GD Tour AD-DI 105X

Mizuno HMB - Modus 120X 4 Iron
Mizuno 921 Tour - Modus 120X 5-9

Vokey SM8 Raw 46, 50, 54, 60 DG Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron FTUO X5R 
Titleist ProV1

Looks like I’m done testing the autoflex.  Today on the sim I heard a crack in my transition.  Gave the club a once over and found this...

9035BB91-C679-4167-A0E5-57A499350A3E.jpeg.52a7694b2cdf8e0ed2462f27f7ca375b.jpeg

• Sad 1

Titleist             TSR3 10* w/ Tensei 1k white
Callaway       Apex 19' 3 hybrid w/ Nippon GOST tour stiff

NCW                Tour Department DW mid muscle MB 4-PW w/ Modus 105 S
Vokey            SM8 50f, 56s, 60m
Bettinardi       Studio Stock 17

8 minutes ago, outgolfing said:

Looks like I’m done testing the autoflex.  Today on the sim I heard a crack in my transition.  Gave the club a once over and found this...

Send an email to the OEM.  They will replace it.  

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

7 minutes ago, outgolfing said:

Email them. When one of the guys had his snap, they said they replacing it

Titleist TS3 8.5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 22* 

Srixon Zx7 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*

Indi 58*

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide

18 minutes ago, My2Dogs said:

Send an email to the OEM.  They will replace it.  

Email sent, fingers crossed...I see they only offer a 30 day warranty, today is exactly one month since I received the shaft. 

14 minutes ago, outgolfing said:

Email sent, fingers crossed...I see they only offer a 30 day warranty, today is exactly one month since I received the shaft. 

I jus messaged you the email and they told me they would warranty it come up to a year if it was the shafts issue.  

LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

13 hours ago, outgolfing said:

12 hours ago, My2Dogs said:

I jus messaged you the email and they told me they would warranty it come up to a year if it was the shafts issue.  

Already received reply’s back from both Steve and James.  Both reassured me they would take care of the issue and I only needed to send the shaft back.  
Anyone know the cheapest way to ship something overseas?  So far usps was the cheapest at $76, fedex and ups were both about $140, and dhl was $200 😳

Ok. So the shaft arrived today (505x)just as I was on my way out the door to the course. So, I did the smart thing and put it right in to TSi3 🤣

I didn’t have much time to warm up. Felt like I hit a few good ones on the range.

Anyhow, not surprisingly was a VERY inconsistent driving day. The club is set to play at 46 inches and that is definitely longer than I am used to.

So, first question is: any harm in cutting down to 45? Should I start at 45.5? 

I was gonna take it in and see what the swingweight is. I know the head weighs 193 grams.

Second, I found that even my good drives of the day were not particularly long (as compared to my other setups). Any tweaks other than cutting down a bit that people know of?

I will say that the shaft feels really good to me even though the results weren’t fantastic this first go. Totally agree it feels super whippy and easy to load and then firms up on the downswing.

Edited by HoganHO

32 minutes ago, HoganHO said:

Ok. So the shaft arrived today (505x)just as I was on my way out the door to the course. So, I did the smart thing and put it right in to TSi3 🤣

I didn’t have much time to warm up. Felt like I hit a few good ones on the range.

Anyhow, not surprisingly was a VERY inconsistent driving day. The club is set to play at 46 inches and that is definitely longer than I am used to.

I was gonna take it in and see what the swingweight is. I know the head weighs 193 grams.

Second, I found that even my good drives of the day were not particularly long (as compared to my other setups). Any tweaks other than cutting down a bit that people know of?

I will say that the shaft feels really good to me even though the results weren’t fantastic this first go. Totally agree it feels super whippy and easy to load and then firms up on the downswing.

I wouldn’t cut it down.  I would work with your set up and try it a few rounds before doing any cutting.  Also just to get used to it and how it plays.  Also slow your takeaway down and let it load at the top.  Once it’s cut, you can’t go back.  You can change weights in the head but I would just start with getting used to the shaft itself before doing anything.  

• Like 1

PXG Hybrid stand bag

39 minutes ago, HoganHO said:

What length do you normally play?

In my group the guy using TSi3 is playing the 405 at 45.25", with zerofit grip. Came out exactly D1.5 without any other adjustments.

I find the 46 or longer with lighter head thing to be fascinating as it was never an instruction we received from OEM.

Peter von Panda's review on youtube had him trimming 5" off with weights into the head because he explained he does single-length clubs, including driver. And it worked for him, as he got 6mph improvement as well as tighter dispersion. Just do you.

So I'd say cut to whatever length is comfortable for you.

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 8.5*

Titleist 915F 15*

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 22* 

Srixon Zx7 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*

Indi 58*

Odyssey O-Works 1 Wide

Finally got my 505x installed, went straight in no trim and it's just about 47" installed in my head.  I got head weight to 189grams and it is D2.5.  

TLDR: cool shaft, not some miracle shaft but has a lot of merit to it. 

Only have a range sesh with it so not going to compare numbers as it is hard to tell vs my gamer.  Should get on a monitor this weekend.  But in short this thing is just wild and so different than what we are so accustomed too.   Honestly the hardest thing for me with the shaft was the length, I normally play 45", been trying out 46".  Once I got the timing of the length of the club down it was game on.  I will say this is not some miracle shaft for me, but there is some merit to it and definitely worth some time with it.  For how whippy the shaft is just waggling it around, it doesn't feel that way swinging it.  Not once did I feel like I was losing the shaft in the swing.  Dispersion didn't seem dramatically different either, and from what I could tell it was flying off the face.

5 hours ago, HoganHO said:

I play mine at 45.5" and it's been great. I spoke with Steve and he said cutting it down a little is fine, though he recommended trying it first uncut and seeing how it went. I think Ian at TXG has mentioned cutting it a little bit for most people makes sense.

I'm like you, I typically play my drivers 44.5 - 45" so it's already about an inch longer than I usually play.

Which is just to say, yeah, I think being comfortable and able to hit it out of the middle is just as important as an extra inch. The shaft still works well for me and is longer than what I was playing before.

Edited by chocolate_rehab
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

Regripped today with a midsize MCC +4 ( about 13 g heavier than the previous grip)and I think this got the swing weight just right. Feels much faster through the swing.  Didn’t measure it, but the club feels great when I swing it now. Playing again tomorrow, so we will see if it helps. Still at 46 inches for the time being.

• Like 2

Will be going down the autoflex rabbit hole with 3 others.

All TSi3 head, and we are preparing pre-cut lead tape so we can made adjustments immediately once on the course to tinker with swing weights starting from D2.5 to D0 in increments of 0.5

autoflex2021.jpg.43719a5f6ebd3aa7f58b9a223afc8fd4.jpg

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3, Diamana X Series 60x

Titleist TSi3 FW, Tensei Orange 70x

Titleist 690 MB, 3- Pw, DG x100

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 & 56

Axis1 Joey Putter

I am 5'9", playing my sim at "standard" length, 45.75".  I probably should see if I can handle 46.5" and go from there?

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.

Callaway Paradym TD 15, Autoflex 505X.

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym AI Smoke HL 8 hybrid, Ventus 8S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 8 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

2 hours ago, shaolingolfer said:

I am 5'9", playing my sim at "standard" length, 45.75".  I probably should see if I can handle 46.5" and go from there?

yes

Scotty Cameron FTUO X5R 
Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, bfizzy said:

the shaft straight in my SIM is ~47" maybe just start there and trim down?

yes..try it, once you cut you can't go back.  But easy to cut down and regrip if you need to.

Scotty Cameron FTUO X5R 
Titleist ProV1

Played again today. Thinking this shaft probably is not for me. Hitting super high slices and the good shots (there were only 2) seemed to end up shorter than my usual.

maybe it’s an issue of the shaft length. Playing 46 is certainly longer than I’m used to. I’m tempted to take it down to 45, but don’t want to completely kill the resale value if I need to sell it. 

expensive experiment, but guess this thing is nit for everyone 

I posted mine for sale on BST - and have gotten a ton of interest - but am having a tough time taking any of the offers.  Not because of price, but because I really kinda love this shaft.  

For folks having trouble getting used to them, I'd say keep dialing them in.  If you aren't playing with the swing weight to find the sweet spot for you, and adjusting loft / lie a bit, choking up / down - you're going to have to get pretty lucky to get the right fit (like anything).

I also think it's hard to mentally get yourself to put your normal swing on the ball.  Somewhere deep down it's tough to believe the shaft will square up for you.  For me, that results in a shallow turn, running out of hip turn too early, and throwing my hands at.  When I trust it though, I end up places I've never been before.

Keep in mind this is the week after FINALLY playing a non-muddy course where the fairways weren't plugging.  I'm playing a swamp tomorrow - and will likely come back singing a different tune.

Last random note - Arccos has this as the tightest dispersion and highest fairways hit percentage for me over the Ventus Black 6x and TZ5 M5.  The longest drive still isn't there - however that's a function of conditions, not speed or launch (which are up according to launch monitors).

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

So this guy did an initial long review that was really detailed and even cut one open.  Here is his updated review after playing/testing dialing it in for about a month.

PXG Hybrid stand bag

Ian Fraser of TXG was very kind and responded to my question about cutting the shaft down. He said to go for it. I’m gonna do it. 

I actually feel like I swing a 46 inch club slower than a 45. Suppose I could see if that’s actually true on a monitor, but I don’t have a monitor on the course where it matters anyhow....

• Like 1

I’m back In the game.  Autoflex sent me a new SF505 shaft after the crack was discovered in mine.  Great customer service even with the big time difference from Florida to South Korea.  All I can say is thank you to those guys.  I’ll be getting it to my builder for a titleist sleeve and will be testing it in a TSi3 against my AD DI 6-s and a ventus (velocore) blue 5-S.  I’ll report back when I have some numbers.  

A quick AF Update:  With additional use, I continue to see an increase in speed.  I believe that this is due to the longer shaft (46") and getting more comfortable with how it loads (and some speed training in the basemen).  I'm a 7 HCP with a swing speed from 103-107 with a Ping Tour 65 shaft.  With the 505X, I'm in the 107-111 range and hit a few at 113 CHS this afternoon.  This is producing a ball speed of 162+  

I'm still struggling with getting to launch in a consistent window but I think this is as much me as the shaft.  Overall, I'm hopeful during the winter break and hope that it will come together as the weather improves.  I'm also interested to see how it pairs with the new Callaway Epic drivers.

• Like 2

I swapped out my 10.5* ( lofted down to 8.5* )Sim Max head which weighed 194 grams. To a Sim Max 8* ( play at 8* ) Head weighing 199 grams and it has made the driver even better. I've never looked forward to hitting my driver as much as I do now.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG One and Done w/Super Stroke 5.0
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag