2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Hybrids plus Driving Iron?

achappy

On 10/19/2020 at 2:52 PM, leftymatt said:

This is a super interesting post to me because I find myself in this exact dilemma! My driving iron and long irons are easily my best clubs from the tee. I had a 16* low launching hybrid in the bag a few years ago that was money when I could catch it right, but I just never got comfortable with it.

Right now, I'm bagging exactly what you listed: a 22* hybrid AND an 18* driving iron. This seems weird to me "on paper," but nearly every time I hit the course w/o the 22* hybrid, I regret it. It's just a lot easier to trust that club for long shots from the rough and other bad lies, even if I'm leaving it short of the green.

There was another post on the forums recently about gapping and someone had really great advice. They more or less suggested to keep what you have in the bag depending on the types of shots you encounter and not to get too caught up in gapping and what looks good on paper.  I'm a strong follower of this advice!

I just recently switched to this setup about a month ago and im never turning back!

like the OP ive tried 17 or 18* hybrids and I just dont care for them. Nowhere near as accurate with them as I am a driving iron. Also ive found the consistency in launch with a hybrid is kinda all over the place

ive dropped my 4i bc I hardly ever used it and put in a sim max rescue 22* and that thing is automatic!

• Like 1

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM BRNR Mini 13.5 ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Qi10 Tour 6w... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

TM Qi10 Tour 4h... KBS Proto Hybrid 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

11 hours ago, Adamjoyce15 said:

I do find that I hardly ever hit my 50* wedge, if it came down to it I would probably switch up my wedge gapping to something like a pw at 46ish and then something around a 53 and then a 60 (7 degree gaps) which would leave room to carry both. Don't tell anyone but I normally carry both anyway with all the wedges in there and have 15.. 

I played almost all last year with 46 p and only 52 and 58 wedges. I found it made me much more consistent using the 52 everywhere around the green that didnt require a high shot or needing to stop quickly. 

dropping a wedge also took away any indecision from that awkward 75 - 100 yard shot where I would debate between a 50 or 54 that I played at the time. Dropping a 50 and 54 and instead chaining to the 52 helped me so much in my wedge game

now wondering why the hell I went back to 50 , 54 , 58 this year lol

and to the original post it let me carry both an extra club at the top of my bag

Edited by JoeFrigo

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM BRNR Mini 13.5 ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Qi10 Tour 6w... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

TM Qi10 Tour 4h... KBS Proto Hybrid 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

Timely discussion for me. I was at the range last night with my Z745 3i, a Srixon U45 20 deg, and a Titleist H16 21 deg hybrid. I'm trying to decide which stays in the bag in the 3i slot. At this point my plan for windy days is the 3i as it is easy to flight low out of the wind. But the U45 vs H16 is a toss up. I've always felt comfortable with long irons, and struggle a bit with standing over a hybrid, but you can't deny the benefits of a hybrid. I play the 3i slot off the turf, not only the tee, and don't see a real difference between the hybrid and utility iron with regards to turf interaction. The base of the U45 is pretty large. Anyone else in a similar spot with hybrid vs. utility iron?

4 hours ago, JoeFrigo said:

I played almost all last year with 46 p and only 52 and 58 wedges. I found it made me much more consistent using the 52 everywhere around the green that didnt require a high shot or needing to stop quickly. 

dropping a wedge also took away any indecision from that awkward 75 - 100 yard shot where I would debate between a 50 or 54 that I played at the time. Dropping a 50 and 54 and instead chaining to the 52 helped me so much in my wedge game

now wondering why the hell I went back to 50 , 54 , 58 this year lol

and to the original post it let me carry both an extra club at the top of my bag

Seems like we have similar preferences. I too only use a 52/58* which is why I have the extra spot in the top of the bag.  Given all of the replies it doesn't look like I'm too crazy (no more than normal :crazy2:) for considering this route.

I played a few tournaments over the Summer where the rough was brutal and there were some long par 3s so the hybrid was required.  But I never felt comfortable hitting it on the shorter, tighter par 4s so having both in my bag would've helped some (nothing can help my putting).

Maltby KE4 TC Max UST V2 HL Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW C-Taper Lite Stiff

Titleist SM7 52*/S, 58*/D DG120 Stiff
<Searching>

17 hours ago, Adamjoyce15 said:

I do find that I hardly ever hit my 50* wedge, if it came down to it I would probably switch up my wedge gapping to something like a pw at 46ish and then something around a 53 and then a 60 (7 degree gaps) which would leave room to carry both. Don't tell anyone but I normally carry both anyway with all the wedges in there and have 15.. 

That's what I'm currently using; my PW is 47* (716 CB) so I've gone to 52*, 58*.  We'll see how it goes but I was beginning to hate my 60* because I had so many blown shots with it. 

I did an online fitting with Ping that suggested 4h and 3 crossover that got me thinking about clubs on both ends of the bag as role players.  

I don’t need more than one FW wood and only for long FW shots, not tee.  My driver and FW woods are equally straight/crooked off tee.

I have a 4h that’s easier to launch from bad lies, but goes left sometimes.  Right now I favor 4i-GW (PXG 0211s), SW, LW.  The four wedges each have special roles.

Leaves the 3 slot.  Wonder about PXG 0311 XP 3i vs. gen 2 DI.  I read their DI launches lower, but the XP might already be low enough.  Anybody tried either/both?   My guess is the right club might go same as FW wood, FW  is mostly carry, DI rolls 30 yards.  

Edited by rmgatl

I just bought a 21 degree 4 iron that I'm going to try as a driving Iron. I think it should be good for 205-210 off the tee. I was going to get a #3 hybrid which I feel like I could hit 215 but then my 5 wood is my 225 club so I'm going to hold back for a while because honestly I don't hit too many shots from that distance other than tee shots on short par 4's. Plus I'm thinking that if I do find myself in the rough over 200 yards that I should be able to choke down on the 5 wood as it's head size is not much bigger than the hybrid.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

I'm a fan of the concept and did 3 iron 4 hybrid for a bit.  I see it as having a comfortable low-mid launch long iron and a high launch long iron.  Comfort level off the tee is higher for me with an iron vs hybrid, so 2-3 hybrid never panned out as a reliable tee club.  I get a little more out of a 3 iron vs 4 iron off the tee while still being reliable.  I also figured a 4 hybrid could be more useful as a trouble club having 22+* of loft.  I'm not so precise with distances at that "long iron" range, so I like to be able to control launch more than hitting specific yardages or gaps.  I'm sure 3 hybrid 4 iron is more common like some pro bags, but no right or wrong, just preference.  Similarly I like 3W for easy low launch and 5W for easy high launch.  Fwiw I've found to like a utility-like 4 iron over 4 hybrid from my limited experience. 

• Like 1

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 4W TEE CBX 119, OG HZ Black 75 6.5 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, RIPα105X 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

The setup that works best for me is a 19° M3 hybrid and Callaway X-Forged UT bent to 22°.  Both have graphite shafts.  I use both off the tee, from the fw and into long par 3s.  I can hit the hybrid higher so it's great into par 5s and easier out of the rough.  The UT has a more penetrating flight and I feel like I can hit it on a string better than the hybrid, when needed.  It's great on windy days.

TaylorMade M5 10.5° /  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 S
Cobra King Speedzone 18.5@17° / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 S
TaylorMade  M3 3/19° Rescue/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 80H S
Callaway X Forged Utility 21°@22° /  TT Elevate 95 S

Honma T//World Rose Proto MB 5-10 / N.S. Pro Modus3 120TX
Edison 51° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 56° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T22 60° / DG Tour Issue S400
L.A.B. B.2 Brass/ BGT Stability Tour Black
Maxfli Tour X

My "long game" setup for the past two years has been Driver, 5w lofted down to play more like a 4w, then a 2/3 driving iron, and then a 4 hybrid.  Starting with the hybrid, it is my swiss army knife for any type of shot between 190-210.  The driving iron and 4w are only a degree apart in loft, however these are both very specific tools.  Anytime I try and hit a low shot with a fairway wood, it is guaranteed to be nothing more than a smother hook that spends about a half second in the air, yet I deal with some sort of wind at all the courses I regularly play and often need a tee club for the shorter par 4s.  My DI (MP-H4 2i) is a cruise control low bullet off the tee, and the 4w gives me elevation off the deck when going into par 5's.  They can each sort of do the other's job, too.  The 2i has a wide enough sole to be able to hit from the fairway, and if shot height isn't an issue, I've hit the 4w off the tee, but for the most part, they make the game easier by having built-in go-to shots that I can turn to when needed.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

I just bought a 21 degree Callaway X Forged UT driving iron with a 95g Tour AD shaft and I really like the club...but I bought it at the absolute wrong time of year for a low launching stinger machine. I think it'll go back in the bag when fairways firm up again, as of now it doesn't carry as far as my 21 degree (tuned down to 20) Titleist 818H2 hybrid. I like the idea of having both as options depending on the time of year/course(s) that I'll be playing.

I’ve been fiddling around at this end of the bag, was playing 

sim max 15 diamana 818h1 21 tensi blue stiff (set to 20) and 818h1 tensi red stiff  (25 set to 24) and then 770 5 iron. 
new plan 

ts3 16.5 diamana set to 17.25/18 ( am getting almost as much carry as sim max 15, but more consistently  from fairway)

818h1 19 tensei white stiff 

818h1 21 tensei white stiff (set to 22 or 23)

dhy #5 diamana 

this looks like it should tidy up the gapping for me a bit and give me better options from 220/230. 

Tsr2 Kai-li white 60g

tsr2 16.5 tensei av raw white 75g

tsr2 20 degree, tensei av raw white 90g

T200/T150/T100 PX Lz

sm9 54.10S/60.4T

odyssey Toulon Daytona
Pro V1

I have never hit anything above a 3 iron, but just recently decided to pick up a Nike CPR 3 and Nike VR pro 4 hybrid and really like the 4. The 3 needs a new grip, but I was impressed with how well both hit off the fairway and light rough. I hit the 4h off the tee Sunday and got great results. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

On 10/20/2020 at 4:00 AM, OsnolaKinnard said:

I am about to put an 18* tour edge exotics CBX 116 into o,ya, and will eventually add a 21 and 24 degree utility/driving iron.

the TEE is a VERY low spin, low flying monster and is exactly what I was looking for on windy days on the Texas gulf coast.

You’re a smart guy. I have the 16* TEE CBX 119 hybrid and it’s just better than a driving iron for me. Easier to hit, very low spin and trajectory, but can hit a high hybrid shot if needed with it. Underrated!

• Like 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

On 10/27/2020 at 5:45 PM, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

You’re a smart guy. I have the 16* TEE CBX 119 hybrid and it’s just better than a driving iron for me. Easier to hit, very low spin and trajectory, but can hit a high hybrid shot if needed with it. Underrated!

Underrated indeed.  The only reason I don’t have the 22* version is I would hit it to far.  My 4 iron is going to be a 190-205 club, and I would probably hit that one a touch to far.  They really are great clubs.

i have the regular CBX 3 wood and it is a hoss.  Truly very good clubs.

Edited by OsnolaKinnard
  • Like 1

Does anyone use their 5 wood in lieu of a 2/3/4 hybrid for those in between shots or out of the rough over 200 yards?  (my 5 wood is only marginally larger than my hybrid)

I had a hybrid but recently got a 60 degree wedge and need to lighten my bag (I only walk) and since I have a 21 deg.  driving iron I feel I can't justify both.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

EEUW, that will look horrible! Please don't post it in the WITB thread we have here...! 

LOL, just kidding! If you have space for it put both in the bag. Whatever works for ya.. 

Personally, no, don't like long irons but love hybrids. Hit them straight enough too. I also don't like 2 clubs that give the same distance in the bag. So my longest iron (5) is followed by the 5 hybrid, which goes longer. Then 3h, 3w, D. 

Set 1: Inesis 100 set: D, 4h, 6/7i, 8/9i, pw, sw, P + Cleveland 52o and 60o wedges

Set 2: Srixon ZX 2h, Cobra One Length 3 utility (set to 4i), MD 7i & 9i, TM RSi 50o, Cleveland RTX full face 54o & 58o, Wilson Putter