Jump to content

Hybrids plus Driving Iron?


achappy
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I have a dilemma where I go back and forgth between hybrids an a driving iron.  I love driving irons off the tee and I'm so much more accurate with them. But I also realize the benefit of a hybrid, especially on long par 3s and out of the rough.  I've tried 17-19* hybrids as driving irons and I'm just not as accurate with them nor as comfortable off the tee.

 

So I was wondering, has anyone bagged both and been relatively successful?  20-22* hybrid and a 18* driving iron. 

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60
Callaway '18 Apex 3H, 4H Aldila NV 105

Taylormade Rocketbladez Tour “F” Heads 3-PW DG120 S300

Callaway Jaws CC 52*, 58* DGS300
Nike Method Mod 00

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few years back I tested hybrids, but never put one in the bag, never like the look.  I have carried only Driver & 3/4 wd and either a 1 or 2 iron since taking up the game and currently enjoy 718 T-MB 17' 2 iron.  It could be called a driving iron, but it's just a 2 iron to me as it's part of a set; U500 is a driving iron.  My buddy, however, has 2 hybrids, 5wd and 3wd and most of the time hits them decently.  He does not get along with long irons or a driving iron. 

  • Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 Series S
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 6 Series S
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125S
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125S
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125S
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like to think as clubs as tools, you need a hammer and a wrench, carry them lol.

 

Last time out I had a 18* driving/utility iron and a 21* hybrid, the hybrid is for trouble shots and/or soft landings on the green, the DI for for tight driving holes and punch outs lol.

 

 

  • Like 2
Titleist Tsi2 9*
Homna TR-21 Big-LB 14*
Cobra King Tec 18*
Callaway UT 21*
Ping iE1 5-UW
Titleist SM8 56S & 60S
Ping 2021 Fetch 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, spring7 said:

I like to think as clubs as tools, you need a hammer and a wrench, carry them lol.

 

Last time out I had a 18* driving/utility iron and a 21* hybrid, the hybrid is for trouble shots and/or soft landings on the green, the DI for for tight driving holes and punch outs lol.

 

 

 

Yep, I totally agree.  Been looking at putting a 2i in the bag for tee shots, and taking out the 3w and putting in a 5w for high 230ish shots into a handful of par 5's at my home course.  I'm no more accurate with the 3w than my driver, and trying to air out a 3w usually just gets me into more trouble than anything else.  

  • Like 1
G425 LST 9* - SIM2 17* - G410 3 Crossover - i500 5-W (5i 2* strong, 6i 1* strong) - Glide 3.0 54*/58* - Hitoe 62* - F22
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a P790UDI and then go to a 21° hybrid. Like you said, driving iron is great for off the tee or low punch runners out of the crap. Hybrid is good for getting it up in the air and landing soft. For me hybrids always go sky high, at least for me a driving iron is more versatile off the tee. High? Low? Stinger? You got it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I carry both a DI (2U500 2iron) and a hybrid 22*.  I live near the water and some early mornings when the wind is kicking a bit, I use the 2iron as the hybrid has a tendency to spin up in the air. The 2 iron gets more play than the hybrid, but probably every 4-5 rounds I'm happy I have the hybrid in there. 

 

End of the day it really depends on what shot you need to hit and what club lets you do that. If you are bagging those two clubs, are you taking a club from somewhere else that may hurt you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've really considered doing this myself.  I love my 18 degree driving iron and don't want to give it up, but definitely need some more versatility for 200+ shots out of less than perfect lies.  

 

Question is - do you drop the 4 iron in favor of the 22 degree?  Seems like 22 degree hybrid to 5 iron might create a large gap in the bag 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, manima1 said:

I've really considered doing this myself.  I love my 18 degree driving iron and don't want to give it up, but definitely need some more versatility for 200+ shots out of less than perfect lies.  

 

Question is - do you drop the 4 iron in favor of the 22 degree?  Seems like 22 degree hybrid to 5 iron might create a large gap in the bag 

I dropped a wedge to go this route. I okay pw, 54, 58 so I can carry my 2 iron, hybrid, 3 wood & driver. My irons are 4-pw. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am playing around with a 22 degree hybrid and a 24 degree long iron to see which works best. 

 

I have thought about getting a lower lofted driving iron but most seem to be so big and have more offset than I like which takes away confidence. Ideally I would like to find a really forgiving small cb at 19-20 degrees with no more than 4 mm of offset.

 

Home course - 6100 yds.

Gamer set yardages: 4w/225, 7w/212, 4h/195, 5i/180, 6i/170, 7i/159, 8i/148, 9i/137, P/126

4w - P-22, 7w - '98 Big Bertha, 4h - BMT, Irons DCI 990B, Putter - 8802, Ping O-blade

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, manima1 said:

I've really considered doing this myself.  I love my 18 degree driving iron and don't want to give it up, but definitely need some more versatility for 200+ shots out of less than perfect lies.  

 

Question is - do you drop the 4 iron in favor of the 22 degree?  Seems like 22 degree hybrid to 5 iron might create a large gap in the bag 

I think it could create a larger gap for some than others. I find that since I hit the 22* hybrid pretty high, there is less of a gap between it and my 5 iron than I would have thought. I can get a bit more out of the 5 by keeping the trajectory down. I could probably go without the 4-iron and am considering it, but right now it still gets quite a bit of use.  Lately I've been going from 18* DI straight to the longest club in the bag (which I've been messing with this whole season between mini driver, driver and strong 3 wood)

 

I've seen some others go with a bit more loft when dropping the 4i and opting for a 23-25* (could also tweak shaft length/SW a little bit on the 22*)

 

Again, I think this gets back to balancing how the club fills a void for the types of shots you encounter vs. having perfect distance gaps 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, chipa said:

I am playing around with a 22 degree hybrid and a 24 degree long iron to see which works best. 

 

I have thought about getting a lower lofted driving iron but most seem to be so big and have more offset than I like which takes away confidence. Ideally I would like to find a really forgiving small cb at 19-20 degrees with no more than 4 mm of offset.

 

This^ was a huge reason why I held out on a driving iron for so long. The 2018 X Forged UT was what I've been waiting for. Picked one up slightly used this year and I love it. 

Edited by leftymatt
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, leftymatt said:

I think it could create a larger gap for some than others. I find that since I hit the 22* hybrid pretty high, there is less of a gap between it and my 5 iron than I would have thought. I can get a bit more out of the 5 by keeping the trajectory down. I could probably go without the 4-iron and am considering it, but right now it still gets quite a bit of use.  Lately I've been going from 18* DI straight to the longest club in the bag (which I've been messing with this whole season between mini driver, driver and strong 3 wood)

 

I've seen some others go with a bit more loft when dropping the 4i and opting for a 23-25* (could also tweak shaft length/SW a little bit on the 22*)

 

Again, I think this gets back to balancing how the club fills a void for the types of shots you encounter vs. having perfect distance gaps 

 

 

 

I am trying to fill the 210 slot with either a hybrid that I just ordered or a long iron. After that I have a 5 wood for 225 off the tee and then the driver at 265. Since my course is very hilly and has small hard elevated greens I ordered a 68 degree cheap wedge to give it a try as I am dismal with the flop shot where I have to open the face a lot.  I don't have anything I can hit over 220 off the fairway but then again I'm dismal with those too so I don't have anything in my big for that. That may change depending on the TM M4 my brother is giving me, I've never had such a good quality fairway wood in my bag.

 

Home course - 6100 yds.

Gamer set yardages: 4w/225, 7w/212, 4h/195, 5i/180, 6i/170, 7i/159, 8i/148, 9i/137, P/126

4w - P-22, 7w - '98 Big Bertha, 4h - BMT, Irons DCI 990B, Putter - 8802, Ping O-blade

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, leftymatt said:

 

This^ was a huge reason why I held out on a driving iron for so long. The 2018 X Forged UT was what I've been waiting for. Picked one up slightly used this year and I love it. 

 

I just looked at the specs, it looks sweet. I don't think I could afford it for now. I am looking at some Maltby alternatives though.

 

Home course - 6100 yds.

Gamer set yardages: 4w/225, 7w/212, 4h/195, 5i/180, 6i/170, 7i/159, 8i/148, 9i/137, P/126

4w - P-22, 7w - '98 Big Bertha, 4h - BMT, Irons DCI 990B, Putter - 8802, Ping O-blade

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, achappy said:

So I have a dilemma where I go back and forgth between hybrids an a driving iron.  I love driving irons off the tee and I'm so much more accurate with them. But I also realize the benefit of a hybrid, especially on long par 3s and out of the rough.  I've tried 17-19* hybrids as driving irons and I'm just not as accurate with them nor as comfortable off the tee.

 

So I was wondering, has anyone bagged both and been relatively successful?  20-22* hybrid and a 18* driving iron. 

 

More clubs to play from tee boxes is always a good idea, so yes to the 18* driving iron.  22* hybrid is ideal for long distance shot from rough or other less than ideal lies, so yes to that club as well.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a great topic, and something I talked myself into doing this evening. I’m going to be playing an HMB 3 (19*) and a CLK 4 (22*). The HMB I use for a ton of tee shots, punch outs, etc. and the CLK will replace my 4 iron. Into par 5s, from the rough. 

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

300 Mini 13.5* / Ventus Black 10x

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100•s 4-9 / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 46, 50 / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 54, 58 / Dynamic Gold TI X100

 

Champion’s Choice / MC X-Firm
620 / MC X-Firm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am about to put an 18* tour edge exotics CBX 116 into o,ya, and will eventually add a 21 and 24 degree utility/driving iron.

 

the TEE is a VERY low spin, low flying monster and is exactly what I was looking for on windy days on the Texas gulf coast.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, manima1 said:

I've really considered doing this myself.  I love my 18 degree driving iron and don't want to give it up, but definitely need some more versatility for 200+ shots out of less than perfect lies.  

 

Question is - do you drop the 4 iron in favor of the 22 degree?  Seems like 22 degree hybrid to 5 iron might create a large gap in the bag 


 

My 4 iron length in 38.5” and the clk 4 hybrid is 40” stock. I’m going to play the hybrid at 39” to bridge the gap and not let the gap between the 5 iron and 4 hybrid get too large 

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

300 Mini 13.5* / Ventus Black 10x

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100•s 4-9 / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 46, 50 / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 54, 58 / Dynamic Gold TI X100

 

Champion’s Choice / MC X-Firm
620 / MC X-Firm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 4H flies longer than the 4i, which was refitted with a graphite hybrid shaft. The 4i gives a lower, very straight ball for holding tight landing areas.

 

If I go back to four wedges, I likely will select either the 4H or the 4i, depending on the course.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

 

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

     * MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2020 at 3:47 PM, chipa said:

 

I am trying to fill the 210 slot with either a hybrid that I just ordered or a long iron. After that I have a 5 wood for 225 off the tee and then the driver at 265. Since my course is very hilly and has small hard elevated greens I ordered a 68 degree cheap wedge to give it a try as I am dismal with the flop shot where I have to open the face a lot.  I don't have anything I can hit over 220 off the fairway but then again I'm dismal with those too so I don't have anything in my big for that. That may change depending on the TM M4 my brother is giving me, I've never had such a good quality fairway wood in my bag.

Try a 58-60* wedge with more bounce.  It worked for me on the open face.

Edited by butch10x
spelling
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, butch10x said:

Try a 58-60* wedge with more bounce.  It worked for me on the open face.

 

I have a problem opening the club but I am working on it, I am trying John Daly's (and others takeaway) by turning the left hand over to start the swing and get the clubface open early. If I can get comfortable opening it 20 degrees I'll probably get a 64 degree wedge. The heads only $10 and won't have the greatest feel but then again I'm not a wedge player of any caliber and I've had expensive wedges and still hit them poorly.

 

Home course - 6100 yds.

Gamer set yardages: 4w/225, 7w/212, 4h/195, 5i/180, 6i/170, 7i/159, 8i/148, 9i/137, P/126

4w - P-22, 7w - '98 Big Bertha, 4h - BMT, Irons DCI 990B, Putter - 8802, Ping O-blade

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2020 at 2:13 PM, achappy said:

So I have a dilemma where I go back and forgth between hybrids an a driving iron.  I love driving irons off the tee and I'm so much more accurate with them. But I also realize the benefit of a hybrid, especially on long par 3s and out of the rough.  I've tried 17-19* hybrids as driving irons and I'm just not as accurate with them nor as comfortable off the tee.

 

So I was wondering, has anyone bagged both and been relatively successful?  20-22* hybrid and a 18* driving iron. 

 

I have tried exactly what you suggested: MMC Hi-fli 2-iron compared to a 818 H2 19 degree 3 hybrid.  

 

It turns out that these 2 are almost identical for me.  I find the hybrid more versatile, but off the tee, hit well, they are both 245-260 yard clubs.  There is a ton of overlap.  I am going to sell the MMC as I can also hit my 4W off the tee. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is super interesting. I do it a little different I guess.  I have an 18deg hybrid I will use occasionally off the tee and 2nd shots into par 5s. Then I have a graphite shafted 21deg DI that I primarily use as a rescue if I need to get out of trouble on par 5s where I know I can’t get there. And also sometimes off the tee. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, JackpotJohnny said:

This is super interesting. I do it a little different I guess.  I have an 18deg hybrid I will use occasionally off the tee and 2nd shots into par 5s. Then I have a graphite shafted 21deg DI that I primarily use as a rescue if I need to get out of trouble on par 5s where I know I can’t get there. And also sometimes off the tee. 

Exactly what I was going to say. I'd rather have the longer club be the hybrid to hold greens and then have the 4i equivalent function as a driving iron when I want that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do find that I hardly ever hit my 50* wedge, if it came down to it I would probably switch up my wedge gapping to something like a pw at 46ish and then something around a 53 and then a 60 (7 degree gaps) which would leave room to carry both. Don't tell anyone but I normally carry both anyway with all the wedges in there and have 15.. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2020 at 3:13 PM, achappy said:

So I have a dilemma where I go back and forgth between hybrids an a driving iron.  I love driving irons off the tee and I'm so much more accurate with them. But I also realize the benefit of a hybrid, especially on long par 3s and out of the rough.  I've tried 17-19* hybrids as driving irons and I'm just not as accurate with them nor as comfortable off the tee.

 

So I was wondering, has anyone bagged both and been relatively successful?  20-22* hybrid and a 18* driving iron. 

 

I'm experimenting with just that type of setup right now actually.

 

I've tried and liked a few different driving irons over the years, but they never stayed in the bag.  Like you said, they're great off the tee, but not great for approach shots.  I'm not a super high speed player (I suspect I hit 105 with driver, on the top end), and I play long enough tees that my need for a 210-225 yard shot into a green far exceeds my need for a 225 yard tee shot.

 

I just joined a place where I need the 225 yard tee shot, with very little room for error on half a dozen holes.  Great as it is into greens, I just can't rely on the hybrid for that shot.  Especially if it's real wet, and/or windy.  I just bought a GAPR Mid 3 iron (18 degrees) to use for those tee shots.  However, I'm also keeping my hybrid (20 degree turned down to 19) in the bag, because there's one long par 3 where it'll come in handy, along with one par 5 where it'll see some action on second shots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
      2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club - Tuesday #1
      2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club - Tuesday #2
       
       
      Adam Scott - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Justin Rose - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Collin Morikawa - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Jason Day - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Justin Thomas - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Erik Van Rooyen - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Matt Jones - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Cam Davis - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Cam Smith - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Byeong Hun An - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Min Kyu - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Joohyung Kim - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Tommy Fleetwood - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Jordan Spieth - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Lucas Glover - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Keegan Bradley - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
       
       
       
      Gary Woodland's new Cameron putter - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Kevin Na's new Odyssey/Toulon putter - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Jucie wedges & Proto irons - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
       
       
       
       
      • 6 replies
    • 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open WITB Photos- Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here...
       
      Links:
       
      Harry Higgs - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Ian Poulter - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Corey Conners - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Harry Higgs - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Matt NeSmith - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Doug Ghim - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      New Cameron Las Vegas covers - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      New Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX shafts - 2021 Shriners Hospitals doe Children Open
       
       

       
        • Like
      • 14 replies
    • 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship - Discussion and Links
      2021 Sanderson Farms Championship - Monday
      2021 Sanderson Farms Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Sanderson Farms Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Sanderson Farms Championship - Tuesday #3
       
      2021 Sanderson Farms Championship - Tuesday #4
       
      WITBs
      Aaron Rai - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Brian Stuard - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Eugenio Chacarra - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Davis Riley - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Brice Garnett - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Curtis Thompson - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Richy Werenski - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Andy Ogletree - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Sahith Theegala - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Will Zalatoris - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Stephan Jaeger - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Kevin Chappell - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Jonas Blixt - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Kevin Streelman - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Sam Burns - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Matthew Wolff - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Jimmy Walker - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Gary Woodland - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Davis Thompson - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Sam Saunders - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship  
      Special Galleries
       
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship  
      Cameron putters - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship  
        • Like
      • 5 replies
    • 2021 Fortinet Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #7
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #8
       
       
      New Ping putter - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      New Bettinardi putters & Cover - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Ping Putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Cameron putter and new ball marker - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
      Sneds - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Peter Uihlein - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Charles Howell, III - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Scott Piercy - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Brandan Steele - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Mito Pereira - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Kevin Tway - WITB -2021 Fortinet Championship
      Joseph Bramlett - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
       
      • 19 replies
    • 2021 Tour Championship - Discussion and Comments
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Tour Championship
      LA Golf putter shafts - 2021 Tour Championship
       
       
       
      • 25 replies

×
×
  • Create New...