Hybrids plus Driving Iron?

achappy

So I have a dilemma where I go back and forgth between hybrids an a driving iron.  I love driving irons off the tee and I'm so much more accurate with them. But I also realize the benefit of a hybrid, especially on long par 3s and out of the rough.  I've tried 17-19* hybrids as driving irons and I'm just not as accurate with them nor as comfortable off the tee.

So I was wondering, has anyone bagged both and been relatively successful?  20-22* hybrid and a 18* driving iron. 

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

A few years back I tested hybrids, but never put one in the bag, never like the look.  I have carried only Driver & 3/4 wd and either a 1 or 2 iron since taking up the game and currently enjoy 718 T-MB 17' 2 iron.  It could be called a driving iron, but it's just a 2 iron to me as it's part of a set; U500 is a driving iron.  My buddy, however, has 2 hybrids, 5wd and 3wd and most of the time hits them decently.  He does not get along with long irons or a driving iron. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

I like to think as clubs as tools, you need a hammer and a wrench, carry them lol.

Last time out I had a 18* driving/utility iron and a 21* hybrid, the hybrid is for trouble shots and/or soft landings on the green, the DI for for tight driving holes and punch outs lol.

• Like 2

Titleist Tsr2 9*

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 16*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

Just now, spring7 said:

I like to think as clubs as tools, you need a hammer and a wrench, carry them lol.

Last time out I had a 18* driving/utility iron and a 21* hybrid, the hybrid is for trouble shots and/or soft landings on the green, the DI for for tight driving holes and punch outs lol.

Yep, I totally agree.  Been looking at putting a 2i in the bag for tee shots, and taking out the 3w and putting in a 5w for high 230ish shots into a handful of par 5's at my home course.  I'm no more accurate with the 3w than my driver, and trying to air out a 3w usually just gets me into more trouble than anything else.  

• Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I have a P790UDI and then go to a 21° hybrid. Like you said, driving iron is great for off the tee or low punch runners out of the crap. Hybrid is good for getting it up in the air and landing soft. For me hybrids always go sky high, at least for me a driving iron is more versatile off the tee. High? Low? Stinger? You got it.

I carry both a DI (2U500 2iron) and a hybrid 22*.  I live near the water and some early mornings when the wind is kicking a bit, I use the 2iron as the hybrid has a tendency to spin up in the air. The 2 iron gets more play than the hybrid, but probably every 4-5 rounds I'm happy I have the hybrid in there. 

End of the day it really depends on what shot you need to hit and what club lets you do that. If you are bagging those two clubs, are you taking a club from somewhere else that may hurt you

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9*| Ventus Black 6X
Titleist TSR2+ 14.5*| Ventus Black 7X
Titleist TSR2 18*  | AV Raw Blue 8TX
Mizuno 245 5-PW  | Project X LS 6.5
Titleist SM9 46 - 50 - 54 - 58 | PX Rifle 6.0
Odyssey Ai-One Seven CH 

I've really considered doing this myself.  I love my 18 degree driving iron and don't want to give it up, but definitely need some more versatility for 200+ shots out of less than perfect lies.  

Question is - do you drop the 4 iron in favor of the 22 degree?  Seems like 22 degree hybrid to 5 iron might create a large gap in the bag 

I play both a 2 iron mizuno driving iron and a 3 hybrid. I find myself hitting the 2 iron if I need that 250 yard shot off the tee and hardly ever off the turf. My hybrid is my go to when I need that 225 to 240 yard shot and don't want to risk spraying my 2 iron OB lol. 

Hope this helps. 

2 minutes ago, manima1 said:

I've really considered doing this myself.  I love my 18 degree driving iron and don't want to give it up, but definitely need some more versatility for 200+ shots out of less than perfect lies.  

Question is - do you drop the 4 iron in favor of the 22 degree?  Seems like 22 degree hybrid to 5 iron might create a large gap in the bag 

I dropped a wedge to go this route. I okay pw, 54, 58 so I can carry my 2 iron, hybrid, 3 wood & driver. My irons are 4-pw. 

I am playing around with a 22 degree hybrid and a 24 degree long iron to see which works best. 

I have thought about getting a lower lofted driving iron but most seem to be so big and have more offset than I like which takes away confidence. Ideally I would like to find a really forgiving small cb at 19-20 degrees with no more than 4 mm of offset.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

18 minutes ago, manima1 said:

I think it could create a larger gap for some than others. I find that since I hit the 22* hybrid pretty high, there is less of a gap between it and my 5 iron than I would have thought. I can get a bit more out of the 5 by keeping the trajectory down. I could probably go without the 4-iron and am considering it, but right now it still gets quite a bit of use.  Lately I've been going from 18* DI straight to the longest club in the bag (which I've been messing with this whole season between mini driver, driver and strong 3 wood)

I've seen some others go with a bit more loft when dropping the 4i and opting for a 23-25* (could also tweak shaft length/SW a little bit on the 22*)

Again, I think this gets back to balancing how the club fills a void for the types of shots you encounter vs. having perfect distance gaps 

13 minutes ago, chipa said:

I am playing around with a 22 degree hybrid and a 24 degree long iron to see which works best. 

I have thought about getting a lower lofted driving iron but most seem to be so big and have more offset than I like which takes away confidence. Ideally I would like to find a really forgiving small cb at 19-20 degrees with no more than 4 mm of offset.

This^ was a huge reason why I held out on a driving iron for so long. The 2018 X Forged UT was what I've been waiting for. Picked one up slightly used this year and I love it. 

Edited by leftymatt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, leftymatt said:

I think it could create a larger gap for some than others. I find that since I hit the 22* hybrid pretty high, there is less of a gap between it and my 5 iron than I would have thought. I can get a bit more out of the 5 by keeping the trajectory down. I could probably go without the 4-iron and am considering it, but right now it still gets quite a bit of use.  Lately I've been going from 18* DI straight to the longest club in the bag (which I've been messing with this whole season between mini driver, driver and strong 3 wood)

I've seen some others go with a bit more loft when dropping the 4i and opting for a 23-25* (could also tweak shaft length/SW a little bit on the 22*)

Again, I think this gets back to balancing how the club fills a void for the types of shots you encounter vs. having perfect distance gaps 

I am trying to fill the 210 slot with either a hybrid that I just ordered or a long iron. After that I have a 5 wood for 225 off the tee and then the driver at 265. Since my course is very hilly and has small hard elevated greens I ordered a 68 degree cheap wedge to give it a try as I am dismal with the flop shot where I have to open the face a lot.  I don't have anything I can hit over 220 off the fairway but then again I'm dismal with those too so I don't have anything in my big for that. That may change depending on the TM M4 my brother is giving me, I've never had such a good quality fairway wood in my bag.

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

3 minutes ago, leftymatt said:

This^ was a huge reason why I held out on a driving iron for so long. The 2018 X Forged UT was what I've been waiting for. Picked one up slightly used this year and I love it. 

I just looked at the specs, it looks sweet. I don't think I could afford it for now. I am looking at some Maltby alternatives though.

Notes:

5 hours ago, achappy said:

So I have a dilemma where I go back and forgth between hybrids an a driving iron.  I love driving irons off the tee and I'm so much more accurate with them. But I also realize the benefit of a hybrid, especially on long par 3s and out of the rough.  I've tried 17-19* hybrids as driving irons and I'm just not as accurate with them nor as comfortable off the tee.

So I was wondering, has anyone bagged both and been relatively successful?  20-22* hybrid and a 18* driving iron. 

More clubs to play from tee boxes is always a good idea, so yes to the 18* driving iron.  22* hybrid is ideal for long distance shot from rough or other less than ideal lies, so yes to that club as well.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

This is a great topic, and something I talked myself into doing this evening. I’m going to be playing an HMB 3 (19*) and a CLK 4 (22*). The HMB I use for a ton of tee shots, punch outs, etc. and the CLK will replace my 4 iron. Into par 5s, from the rough. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

I am about to put an 18* tour edge exotics CBX 116 into o,ya, and will eventually add a 21 and 24 degree utility/driving iron.

the TEE is a VERY low spin, low flying monster and is exactly what I was looking for on windy days on the Texas gulf coast.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, manima1 said:

My 4 iron length in 38.5” and the clk 4 hybrid is 40” stock. I’m going to play the hybrid at 39” to bridge the gap and not let the gap between the 5 iron and 4 hybrid get too large 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

The 4H flies longer than the 4i, which was refitted with a graphite hybrid shaft. The 4i gives a lower, very straight ball for holding tight landing areas.

If I go back to four wedges, I likely will select either the 4H or the 4i, depending on the course.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 10/19/2020 at 3:47 PM, chipa said:

I am trying to fill the 210 slot with either a hybrid that I just ordered or a long iron. After that I have a 5 wood for 225 off the tee and then the driver at 265. Since my course is very hilly and has small hard elevated greens I ordered a 68 degree cheap wedge to give it a try as I am dismal with the flop shot where I have to open the face a lot.  I don't have anything I can hit over 220 off the fairway but then again I'm dismal with those too so I don't have anything in my big for that. That may change depending on the TM M4 my brother is giving me, I've never had such a good quality fairway wood in my bag.

Try a 58-60* wedge with more bounce.  It worked for me on the open face.

Edited by butch10x
spelling
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, butch10x said:

Try a 58-60* wedge with more bounce.  It worked for me on the open face.

I have a problem opening the club but I am working on it, I am trying John Daly's (and others takeaway) by turning the left hand over to start the swing and get the clubface open early. If I can get comfortable opening it 20 degrees I'll probably get a 64 degree wedge. The heads only $10 and won't have the greatest feel but then again I'm not a wedge player of any caliber and I've had expensive wedges and still hit them poorly.

Notes:

On 10/19/2020 at 2:13 PM, achappy said:

I have tried exactly what you suggested: MMC Hi-fli 2-iron compared to a 818 H2 19 degree 3 hybrid.  

It turns out that these 2 are almost identical for me.  I find the hybrid more versatile, but off the tee, hit well, they are both 245-260 yard clubs.  There is a ton of overlap.  I am going to sell the MMC as I can also hit my 4W off the tee. 

This is super interesting. I do it a little different I guess.  I have an 18deg hybrid I will use occasionally off the tee and 2nd shots into par 5s. Then I have a graphite shafted 21deg DI that I primarily use as a rescue if I need to get out of trouble on par 5s where I know I can’t get there. And also sometimes off the tee. 

20 minutes ago, JackpotJohnny said:

This is super interesting. I do it a little different I guess.  I have an 18deg hybrid I will use occasionally off the tee and 2nd shots into par 5s. Then I have a graphite shafted 21deg DI that I primarily use as a rescue if I need to get out of trouble on par 5s where I know I can’t get there. And also sometimes off the tee. 

Exactly what I was going to say. I'd rather have the longer club be the hybrid to hold greens and then have the 4i equivalent function as a driving iron when I want that.

• Like 1

I do find that I hardly ever hit my 50* wedge, if it came down to it I would probably switch up my wedge gapping to something like a pw at 46ish and then something around a 53 and then a 60 (7 degree gaps) which would leave room to carry both. Don't tell anyone but I normally carry both anyway with all the wedges in there and have 15.. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 3:13 PM, achappy said:

I'm experimenting with just that type of setup right now actually.

I've tried and liked a few different driving irons over the years, but they never stayed in the bag.  Like you said, they're great off the tee, but not great for approach shots.  I'm not a super high speed player (I suspect I hit 105 with driver, on the top end), and I play long enough tees that my need for a 210-225 yard shot into a green far exceeds my need for a 225 yard tee shot.

I just joined a place where I need the 225 yard tee shot, with very little room for error on half a dozen holes.  Great as it is into greens, I just can't rely on the hybrid for that shot.  Especially if it's real wet, and/or windy.  I just bought a GAPR Mid 3 iron (18 degrees) to use for those tee shots.  However, I'm also keeping my hybrid (20 degree turned down to 19) in the bag, because there's one long par 3 where it'll come in handy, along with one par 5 where it'll see some action on second shots.