Loving the growth of golf right now, Loving the influx of people from all backgrounds but...

stecho67

2 hours ago, mangohead said:

I've never heard of this music trend.

Are people bringing BT speakers in their cart?

Playing it from phone in pocket?

BT speakers....LOUD ones....Streaming music....The best was the group 2 behind me last week streaming Kendrick Lamar, loud enough for everyone within 5 holes to hear them. The one guy was playing in a basketball jersey barefoot....I s*** you not....Sigh...

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

Recently played a comp round at our neighborhood private club (was thinking of joining).  Unfilled divots all over the fairways and lots of unrepaired ball marks on the greens.  I definitely attributed it to all the new member who joined up during 2020 while they had free time that didn't grow up with a sense of decorum about the game.  On 18 (which the grill patio overlooks) there were 2 girls around age 10 playing in front of the green in the grass.  They saw me, didn't consider moving.  I waited silently as I would have expected one of the parents eating on the patio would scoop them up.  After a minute or two, yelled up and waved and they still sat there and no parents came out to retrieve them.  Finally skipped off on their own after 3 minute wait.  Kids will be kids, but obviously there were some parents who felt like it was no big deal for their kids to block play into the 18th green.  I didn't join...which is too bad.  The course is a walk from my house or a 2 minute car ride - right in the neighborhood.  So, yea...I am not overly fond of the new golf generation.

4 hours ago, jb93 said:

I definitely attributed it to all the new member who joined up during 2020 

I can guarantee you that people did NOT join country clubs out of the blue, in search of a new pandemic hobby.

No one drops $10k on a random hobby they have zero experience with when they can spend $30 at the local muni to try it out.

That club's culture was like that long before COVID.

Edited by mangohead

3 hours ago, mangohead said:

I can guarantee you that people did NOT join country clubs out of the blue, in search of a new pandemic hobby.

No one drops $10k on a random hobby they have zero experience with when they can spend $30 at the local muni to try it out.

That club's culture was like that long before COVID.

That is a fair statement.  However, the other side of the coin is that there were a lot of golfers who could never justify membership fee/dues who suddenly had freedom to play golf 3-4x a week.  The club sales director said they had loads of people join in 2020.  You may be right though, I didn't know the clubs culture before Covid so it could have been that way all along.

Edited by jb93

3 hours ago, jb93 said:

That is a fair statement.  However, the other side of the coin is that there were a lot of golfers who could never justify membership fee/dues who suddenly had freedom to play golf 3-4x a week.  The club sales director said they had loads of people join in 2020.  You may be right though, I didn't know the clubs culture before Covid so it could have been that way all along.

Those new golfers are very experienced golfers.  

21 hours ago, physasst said:

BT speakers....LOUD ones....Streaming music....The best was the group 2 behind me last week streaming Kendrick Lamar, loud enough for everyone within 5 holes to hear them. The one guy was playing in a basketball jersey barefoot....I s*** you not....Sigh...

That's absolutely ridiculous and pure garbage 

5 hours ago, jb93 said:

They had loads of people join because everything else was shut down including most kids sports so families had all kinds of time on their hands.

13 hours ago, chippa13 said:

They had loads of people join because everything else was shut down including most kids sports so families had all kinds of time on their hands.

Yes, that was my point.  Lots of new members without proper introduction to the game and etiquette  = perhaps a decline in golf decorum and care of the course.  

On 8/13/2021 at 8:09 AM, jb93 said:

Yes, that was my point.  Lots of new members without proper introduction to the game and etiquette  = perhaps a decline in golf decorum and care of the course.  

Last week I played with a ~ 60 year old member at one of the stuffier private clubs in my area complaining about the sudden influx of younger members in his club in 2020-2021 who have no concept of golf etiquette or how to behave themselves. At first I thought it was just the typical "old man complaining about those darn millennials" but once he described their behavior in detail, he had a valid complaint. People getting drunk and into fights, a group of women that likes to play a 5 hour round barefoot while getting drunk, people completely ignoring the dress code, people driving carts onto teeboxes and ignoring ropes/signage, people blasting music from carts that can he heard 2 fairways over, etc. He said these people are generally new-ish to the game and are just clueless not only about the game but how to be respectful of other people and adhere to the rules of an organization that they willingly joined.

These are high income people (think sales management for medical companies, software developers/engineers with stock awards, people taking over dad's family business, private equity types) for whom dropping $25k on an initiation is not a big deal and basically the cost of a few family vacations that they didn't take due to the pandemic. 

Edited by Bonneville85308

2 hours ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Last week I played with a ~ 60 year old member at one of the stuffier private clubs in my area complaining about the sudden influx of younger members in his club in 2020-2021 who have no concept of golf etiquette or how to behave themselves. At first I thought it was just the typical "old man complaining about those darn millennials" but once he described their behavior in detail, he had a valid complaint. People getting drunk and into fights, a group of women that likes to play a 5 hour round barefoot while getting drunk, people completely ignoring the dress code, people driving carts onto teeboxes and ignoring ropes/signage, people blasting music from carts that can he heard 2 fairways over, etc. He said these people are generally new-ish to the game and are just clueless not only about the game but how to be respectful of other people and adhere to the rules of an organization that they willingly joined.

These are high income people (think sales management for medical companies, software developers/engineers with stock awards, people taking over dad's family business, private equity types) for whom dropping $25k on an initiation is not a big deal and basically the cost of a few family vacations that they didn't take due to the pandemic. 

I like how people make genuine complaints, and then slip stupid ones in like dress code ones. 

Long rounds, loud people, fights, belligerent drunk. All those are problems.

Him being so threatened by people dressing how they want that he can’t stop staring, well that shouldn’t be a problem for anyone but him

Edited by extrastiff
  • Confused 1

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Don't really care how people dress. Don't really care whether people listen to music. Don't really care if people chat on tee.

I care about not fixing divots, ball marks and not keeping pace but these were literally always a problem at any course I have played in the last 5-7 years. I don't think this is an influx of new golfers not doing this it is all of the regulars who do it as well. I just fix what I see on the green and move on.

As far as keeping pace, it is young to old and everything in between from what I have seen. Honestly, in my experience, it appears to be people who look to take the game somewhat seriously and consider it a hobby. In my experience, a lot of the new people are anxious about holding people up and pick up.

Edited by madchens
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am happy to see the influx of new golfers.

Pre covid, golf courses are closing due to overhead, changing demographics (Us boomers are playing golf in the great beyond) , financial disasters (areas where oil extraction is slumping-don't get started on that) and developer greed. 

Hopefully some of them will continue to golf post pandemic (whatever that is) and keep courses making money.

Its all about my golf. I need courses to continue until my contract ends. Then I won't care