Loving the growth of golf right now, Loving the influx of people from all backgrounds but...

stecho67

On 10/30/2020 at 1:45 AM, doobz said:

I don’t particularly give a damn as long as they play quickly. I can live with the rest.

Same here, couldnt give a hoot if you want to play in swim trunks, and play music at volume 50 as long as you keep moving and I'm not stuck on each tee waiting 10 mins.

I'm not enjoying the influx of new golfers at all .  There was a 3 hour waitlist just to hit balls at my local driving range yesterday. The same range has raised their prices from 12 to $16 a bucket in the last 1.5 years.

On the plus side, I've been able to sell almost all my extra clubs because of the increase in new golfers. I suspect a year from now there will be a glut of used clubs for sale at good prices.

• Haha 1

Bag Setup - changes too often to bother listing

3 hours ago, enduro said:

I'm not enjoying the influx of new golfers at all .  There was a 3 hour waitlist just to hit balls at my local driving range yesterday. The same range has raised their prices from 12 to $16 a bucket in the last 1.5 years.

On the plus side, I've been able to sell almost all my extra clubs because of the increase in new golfers. I suspect a year from now there will be a glut of used clubs for sale at good prices.

Last week our usual range was so packed they ran out of balls and had no picker, Sr. Large there is $8. Went to a nearby course range-and it was $16. May as well play 9 at that rate.

49 minutes ago, tannyhoban said:

Last week our usual range was so packed they ran out of balls and had no picker, Sr. Large there is $8. Went to a nearby course range-and it was $16. May as well play 9 at that rate.

Playing 9 would be great... If you could get on the course during non-twilight hours without being up at 12:01 AM a week prior trying to secure a tee time.

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

6 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Playing 9 would be great... If you could get on the course during non-twilight hours without being up at 12:01 AM a week prior trying to secure a tee time.

We open at 10AM. When I get in at 8AM I swear there's always at least 1 or 2 cars in the parking lot waiting for us to open. There was one day a morning regular tried to get in before opening and the sliding auto doors weren't unlocked, so she slid them partially open and tried to climb between them, but got her bag stuck. It was like a scene from The Walking Dead. Her half in the door, flailing, trying to get our front desk peoples attention. I was watching all this from the 3rd floor. 

This whole week we've been super packed. Tuesday night around 830 the wait got so long we were telling people there was a good chance they wouldn't be able to play. I don't know if we're helping or hurting the problem, but that's a different discussion all together. 

My bigger concern with sharing the course with newbs is their cavalier approach to safety , it irks me no end to be near missed by a mis hit ball with NIL warning , it’s selfish behaviour that should have no place as we all share the course and owe it to one and other , in Aus just this week a poor elderly chap has died after being hit in the head by a ball, now I don’t pretend to know the details other than it underlines how dangerous this game can be 

• Like 2

On 1/4/2021 at 9:34 PM, tw_focus said:

The other day I went out to hit some range balls early in the morning. It was hella early so almost nobody was on the large putting green. There was a guy who had a bunch of RANGE balls who was chipping the entire length of the green, like 20 yard bump and runs, despite the "no chipping" sign. After doing this for a while, he just walked away and left, leaving range balls all over the green. WTF??

This combined with my range finder getting stolen a few weeks ago makes me worry for the future of my local course.

Saw that the other day too.  I don't understand how people have no concept to sort of evaluate the situation before jumping into something that you aren't sure about.  Maybe I am more self-conscious but if I feel like I don't know how to act or react in a social situation I will sort of hang back a bit and see how others are acting/playing it before jumping in.  

Most everyone is packing a little computer in their pocket.  Google "practice putting green etiquette" and I bet there are some answers.

Or there is the alternative, they are so self-important that they just don't care.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 2:15 AM, 4x4GGG said:

We open at 10AM. When I get in at 8AM I swear there's always at least 1 or 2 cars in the parking lot waiting for us to open. There was one day a morning regular tried to get in before opening and the sliding auto doors weren't unlocked, so she slid them partially open and tried to climb between them, but got her bag stuck. It was like a scene from The Walking Dead. Her half in the door, flailing, trying to get our front desk peoples attention. I was watching all this from the 3rd floor. 

This whole week we've been super packed. Tuesday night around 830 the wait got so long we were telling people there was a good chance they wouldn't be able to play. I don't know if we're helping or hurting the problem, but that's a different discussion all together. 

10 am lol. R first tee time is 6am tomorrow. U should see the idiots in their cars at 5:30. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 10:35 PM, 4x4GGG said:

There is a specific thread about music on the course. I posted my thoughts there but can sum it up here. I agree with a lot of what you say, but music... it's different for me. 

I usually hit my drive before my partners have their head covers off. I usually hit my approach while a partners ball is in the air. I'm in my stance and taking a last look as they're picking up their ball on the green. I often play with co-workers and the big joke is about how little time I spend braining my shot. I step, I fire, I walk away. 

I'm not in a rush. I can easily relax as a solo behind a 4 ball and chip and putt around my green until they're clear. I'm not about pushing any one. 

What happens with me is my own internal shot clock. I've done all my calculations before getting behind the ball.  It's my turn. The landing area is clear. Approach, set target, fire. In that time there's an internal metronome speeding up in my head. Beep...... beep.... beep... beep .. beep . beepbeepbeepbeep-Fire. So many times a playing partner will walk up to pick up their ball and miss the pick up or scoop up and I literally have to walk away to reset the mechanism. 

This rhythm  is  undeterred by people talking, lawmowers, weed whackers, bag chatter... none of it. But music, I'm not Danny Carey. I can't play the drums in a 4/4 while Justin the Bassist is playing a 5/8.  My swing is the Fibonacci sequence while the music playing will always be Lucas Sequence. People don't talk, mowers don't mow and whackers don't whack in a sequence. Music does. Music throws off my inner metronome so bad.

I'd rather have 1980's Robin Williams doing stand up right behind me than a golf car 40 yards away playing Nickle Back.  

Also, I suck at golf and will blame anything I can on a bad round. 

I've never played a round with Chatlie Babbitt, maybe your playing partners could tell me what it's like.

I was going to play early yesterday as a single hoping to walk on to the course.   At 9 am, the course still wasn't open.   I asked the ground crew what time they opened and got mixed thoughts, some said 9 others said whenever the pro shows up.   I made a tee time at another course.  

Recently we were paired up with a 28 y.o. who joined our group. He was very friendly and polite. However, once he hit, he took off ahead of us to get his ball. What was driving this? Not knowing one of golf's simple rules of waiting for the others to hit before going to your ball. After a while, I stopped saying, heads up to, if he gets hit, it's his fault. 

14 hours ago, Tanner25 said:

Recently we were paired up with a 28 y.o. who joined our group. He was very friendly and polite. However, once he hit, he took off ahead of us to get his ball. What was driving this? Not knowing one of golf's simple rules of waiting for the others to hit before going to your ball. After a while, I stopped saying, heads up to, if he gets hit, it's his fault. 

I tend to do this as a walker. I'll be in a group of 3 in their own cars and actively try to "keep up" with them. Mind you, they're rushing as hard as they can so they can wait in the fairway or on the tee. But, if I have a chance to play ready golf I will try to Tee off first and bag up right away so when #4 hits I can just start walking. Even if I've out driven one of them I'll try to pick a clean line to my ball while staying hyper focused on anyone I've out driven. I just do it to keep pace with the cart goblins. 

Today while practicing my short game there was a young guy that came over from the range with a 1/2 bucket of balls.  He proceeded to hit each of them from off of the green, sculling quite a few.   He then putted them to every hole on the practice green.   He did pick most of them up before heading back to his car. 

Played my little exec course with my son today. 1115 yards and par 29, and it took 2 1/2 hours to get around.

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

We had a very unusual early start here in Canada. Usually our season does not start till mid April or end of April here in where I am. And so far, tee times on weekends are being booked solid and you'll run out of them if you are not quick to book. I played 4 games now since March and I have noticed in the last two games in the last two weeks, most of the people playing now are younger generation compared to pre covid. I rarely see the usual seniors who I see when I play our local muni courses. 

So far, we had our close calls at being hit by golf balls. And nope, no one shouted fore on those instances. So far, no long waits on the course, thank goodness for that. I don't mind the music tbh. As long as rounds don't last for 5 hours, I am good.Yesterday after we played, the parking lot was full and I have never seen it that full ever. Then all the bays at the range were all being used. 

It's quite amazing. Good for the sport and the courses I guess. But it does have it's downsides for sure. But so far, so good.  

Our local Golf Town here, the manager told me that they have record sales in the last three weeks. He said they have not seen this kind of boom in more than 10 years or so. 

Not sure if anybody has mentioned this but the biggest gripe I have is with courses overbooking tee times and doubling up tee times.

At least half of the time I golf it is a complete log jam getting off the 1st tee and its almost always a 4-5 hour round. You have a group of 3 then 2, then 4, then 1, then 4 and nothing makes sense. I cant tell you the frustration of playing solo and being behind a group of 4 for a entire round of golf.

Last year I walked up to the tee box and a group asked me what my tee time was and I said 1:22 and they said 'us too'. Cmon.

15 minutes ago, akronswitness said:

Not sure if anybody has mentioned this but the biggest gripe I have is with courses overbooking tee times and doubling up tee times.

At least half of the time I golf it is a complete log jam getting off the 1st tee and its almost always a 4-5 hour round. You have a group of 3 then 2, then 4, then 1, then 4 and nothing makes sense. I cant tell you the frustration of playing solo and being behind a group of 4 for a entire round of golf.

Last year I walked up to the tee box and a group asked me what my tee time was and I said 1:22 and they said 'us too'. Cmon.

LOL. Last year, I walked to the first tee box and found 6 of us had identical tee time. 

What happened is 2 guys were late and starter told them they can tee off next, which is a double and 2 singles. 

9 hours ago, Medson said:

LOL. Last year, I walked to the first tee box and found 6 of us had identical tee time. 

What happened is 2 guys were late and starter told them they can tee off next, which is a double and 2 singles. 

As a starter I can not tell you the number of groups that show up late and think nothing of it like its their right to tee up when they show up. We have done everything from the extreme of not letting them go out, solid tee sheet 6am -4pm to telling them you will have to hang out and I'll fit you in eventually. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 8:46 PM, msg said:

We had a very unusual early start here in Canada. Usually our season does not start till mid April or end of April here in where I am. And so far, tee times on weekends are being booked solid and you'll run out of them if you are not quick to book. I played 4 games now since March and I have noticed in the last two games in the last two weeks, most of the people playing now are younger generation compared to pre covid. I rarely see the usual seniors who I see when I play our local muni courses. 

So far, we had our close calls at being hit by golf balls. And nope, no one shouted fore on those instances. So far, no long waits on the course, thank goodness for that. I don't mind the music tbh. As long as rounds don't last for 5 hours, I am good.Yesterday after we played, the parking lot was full and I have never seen it that full ever. Then all the bays at the range were all being used. 

It's quite amazing. Good for the sport and the courses I guess. But it does have it's downsides for sure. But so far, so good.  

Our local Golf Town here, the manager told me that they have record sales in the last three weeks. He said they have not seen this kind of boom in more than 10 years or so. 

Similar to last year yeah. In Quebec everything is banned same as last year, so right now golf is one of the only things people are confident they will be able to do. 

The indoor driving ranges had to close due to indoor sports being forbidden. And there's only one Outdoor driving range within 45 minutes of my house. 

I went there the other day LOL, it looked like a scene from "World War Z". Just a horde of people. There was a 1.5-2 hour wait at the ball dispenser! Each stall itself had 3-4 people waiting behind it.

Probably a 3-4 hour wait to hit balls.

This is definitely safer than just having indoor ranges open though LOL ....sigh

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

22 minutes ago, Gsea said:

As a starter I can not tell you the number of groups that show up late and think nothing of it like its their right to tee up when they show up. We have done everything from the extreme of not letting them go out, solid tee sheet 6am -4pm to telling them you will have to hang out and I'll fit you in eventually. 

I just really with courses would space out tee times a bit more. I know they want to maximize the amount of money they can make, but offering a tee time literally every 2-3 mins creates such a issue on the course. I really wish tee times were just offered 10 mins apart so that people can breath a little bit off the first tee.

When you login to Golf Now, pull up your favorite course and it looks like this:

8:02

8:05

8:09

8:13

8:17

You know you are going to be in for a long day.

3 minutes ago, akronswitness said:

I just really with courses would space out tee times a bit more. I know they want to maximize the amount of money they can make, but offering a tee time literally every 2-3 mins creates such a issue on the course. I really wish tee times were just offered 10 mins apart so that people can breath a little bit off the first tee.

When you login to Golf Now, pull up your favorite course and it looks like this:

8:02

8:05

8:09

8:13

8:17

You know you are going to be in for a long day.

wow that's crazy. we are state mandated for 10min between tee times, b4 covid we ran 8 min gaps.

40 minutes ago, Gsea said:

wow that's crazy. we are state mandated for 10min between tee times, b4 covid we ran 8 min gaps.

shoot I wish. A lot of Ohio golf courses are closing, so the ones that were able to remain open are really trying to take advantage of the influx of golfers. What they dont know is that it is making playing their course a headache.

2 hours ago, Gsea said:

I'm one of those people for whom early is on time, and on time is late. My normal course doesn't have a range, but I still like to roll in 30 minutes before the tee time to relax, roll some putts, stretch a bit, etc.

One member of our normal group lives literally about around the corner from the course and he can barely make it on time. I'd like to cut him a little slack because he's got a 9 month old baby at home, so I'm sure getting out the door can be an issue. I've been there. But instead I usually just tell him our tee time is 10 minutes earlier than it is.

• Like 1

Sometimes I feel absolutely crazy and like I'm the only person alive who doesn't care about slow play. Give me more bang for my buck. If I'm spending my hard earned money to play golf, I'd rather take my time and enjoy it than blow through it and be done before I know it.

Also, some of these golf YouTubers that OP is talking about are the young 20-something year old kids that are scratch golfers and play in t-shirts and joggers. 

Edited by jacobEDGE
  • Thanks 1

It is certainly a double edged sword. I hate the kooks like everyone else. The other day at the driving range I listened to a 25 minute conversation about how the biggest hurdle to making the tour is being able to walk 18 holes of golf. Jeezy creezy.....

But, the busier the golf course is, the more a******* around, the more free golf is available for those that know what they are doing and just hang around the starters shack. Pays to be cool, friendly, and ready to go. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

6 minutes ago, Gsea said:

Free golf? How does that work

Get to know the starters. Walk and carry. Be cool.

Before you know it, they'll be telling you to put the receipt back in your pocket and save it for next time. Been doing it since I was 11 years old.  

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge