Loving the growth of golf right now, Loving the influx of people from all backgrounds but...

stecho67

On 11/10/2020 at 2:38 PM, FakeClubPro said:

Oddly enough about tennis - a pretty extensive study was done on which sports/exercise added the most to a persons life span.  Tennis was the winner.   An Indian guy I know who is a PhD loves tennis.  He said it had everything to help keep people healthy and younger.

Tennis - basically shuttle runs masquerading as a sport. Reckon it must hammer the heart and cardio system, hence the health benefits. 

• Like 1

This "unwritten rules" stuff can often be silly, just like in baseball. If these things were truly important they'd be written rules. 

Slow play is a problem. Not respecting the course is a problem. Pretty much everything else is just not worth fretting over. 

A great example of a course getting this balance right Sweeten's Cove which is pretty close to me. They take golf seriously, sure, but it's serious fun. The manager has poured my group shots of whisky before a 10am tee time. I've seen dogs and toddlers running around, fivesomes and sixsomes and people creating their own routing the second or third time around. I've been in a group where we threw dice to choose which tee to play on each hole. You can enjoy the course any way you please as long as you don't overly bother anyone else. 

If golf is going to keep growing after this crazy COVID year it's going to have to adapt to the style of entertainment that young people enjoy. If you jump into that way of thinking you might be surprised how much fun you have. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

4 hours ago, me05501 said:

This "unwritten rules" stuff can often be silly, just like in baseball. If these things were truly important they'd be written rules. 

Slow play is a problem. Not respecting the course is a problem. Pretty much everything else is just not worth fretting over. 

A great example of a course getting this balance right Sweeten's Cove which is pretty close to me. They take golf seriously, sure, but it's serious fun. The manager has poured my group shots of whisky before a 10am tee time. I've seen dogs and toddlers running around, fivesomes and sixsomes and people creating their own routing the second or third time around. I've been in a group where we threw dice to choose which tee to play on each hole. You can enjoy the course any way you please as long as you don't overly bother anyone else. 

If golf is going to keep growing after this crazy COVID year it's going to have to adapt to the style of entertainment that young people enjoy. If you jump into that way of thinking you might be surprised how much fun you have. 

Im not sure I’d enjoy a 6 some cutting across the course randomly to end up a couple of holes in front of me..

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

Im not sure I’d enjoy a 6 some cutting across the course randomly to end up a couple of holes in front of me..

“as long as you don’t bother anyone else” is the biggest rule there. 

• Confused 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I wish more courses had great marshals that would politely enforce pace of play and maybe even teach people how to fix their ball marks, etc. if they are new to the game.

It seems like none of the courses I play in the Southern Cali area seem to have marshals anymore. 

A great marshal could go a long way toward helping to fix these issues and teach new players the little things. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, straightshot7 said:

I wish more courses had great marshals that would politely enforce pace of play and maybe even teach people how to fix their ball marks, etc. if they are new to the game.

It seems like none of the courses I play in the Southern Cali area seem to have marshals anymore. 

A great marshal could go a long way toward helping to fix these issues and teach new players the little things. 

I am in SoCal too and couldn't agree more. I only know of a few courses with marshals and it is really starting to show.

Pace of play is horrible, course conditions are shot, and golf etiquette is nowhere to be found. 

• Like 3

Marshalls receive a free round of golf for every 4 hours of time served working as a Marshall.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

25 minutes ago, erikalfstad said:

I am in SoCal too and couldn't agree more. I only know of a few courses with marshals and it is really starting to show.

Pace of play is horrible, course conditions are shot, and golf etiquette is nowhere to be found. 

Only Marshall’s I see in SoCal are the ones I buy my close out nikes from which we can’t post on the BST.  

Edited by TIM929
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

But then we couldn't come on here and complain endlessly about people who don't play the game exactly like we do.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

19 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

I wish more courses had great marshals

The more I play the more I want to see this. It's always good to have a chat with a starter, but even better if you see a few faces on the round too. It's some how nice to know someone gives a flying frisbee about the product they are selling. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 2:23 PM, cval said:

Teach the most important etiquette lesson in golf, pace of play. I can live with all the other stuff to a certain extent but please play quickly. If you are putting for 10 pick-up, go to your ball and get ready to hit while your partners play. Play ready golf.

Amen, brother.  I too can tolerate a lot of stuff on the course, but the one thing that really gets under my skin is slow play.  I've even played with drunks on a few occasions and the guys ended up to be pretty cool albeit a bit loud and at times obnoxious although not overly so.  People come from all walks of life so we must learn tolerance and I will be the first to admit I have gotten a lot better at it now that I am older and have more life experience under my belt.  With that being said, there is absolutely no excuse for slow play.  

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I think half of this thread can just be summed up as “Old man shakes fist at sky” Gentleman, things change over time. I’m sure your grandfathers were complaining about how slow pace was back then and they hated that you drove carts nowadays and that nobody fixed ball marks. They probably hated listening to your 70’s and 80’s rock bands too!

• Like 2

No one has even brought up the most important golf etiquette there is, pay your bets quickly.  I don't want to run you down in the parking lot before you leave to get that money.  Fast pay makes fast friends.  Download Venmo, download CashApp, stop by your local C-store and get money before you come to the course.  Whatever you gotta do.  If someone gives you work, you gotta square up.  Make peace with the fact you just caught the smoke.  If your kid has to skip lunch a few days at school, so be it.  Don't be triggered because your game is trash.  Gotta take a loss to be a boss.  

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, From_Parts_Unknown said:

No one has even brought up the most important golf etiquette there is, pay your bets quickly.  I don't want to run you down in the parking lot before you leave to get that money.  Fast pay makes fast friends.  Download Venmo, download CashApp, stop by your local C-store and get money before you come to the course.  Whatever you gotta do.  If someone gives you work, you gotta square up.  Make peace with the fact you just caught the smoke.  If your kid has to skip lunch a few days at school, so be it.  Don't be triggered because your game is trash.  Gotta take a loss to be a boss.  

Ha! I got stiffed for $20 a couple of weeks back and the guy was supposedly a friend of mine.  It was his idea to play for money anyways

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, From_Parts_Unknown said:

I had a friend tell me a long time ago that "unpaid golf debts are bad karma". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

On 11/1/2020 at 7:59 AM, nsxguy said:

1.2 Standards of Player Conduct

All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by:

• Acting with integrity – for example, by following the Rules, applying all penalties, and being honest in all aspects of play.

• Showing consideration to others – for example, by playing at a prompt pace, looking out for the safety of others, and not distracting the play of another player.

• Taking good care of the course – for example, by replacing divots, smoothing bunkers, repairing ball-marks, and not causing unnecessary damage to the course.

You've NEVER hit a bad shot ? Or you just don't know what caused it ? :classic_biggrin:

There's a reason there is "dead silence" in golf and in tennis. You are out there on an island and concentration and preparation for the shot is paramount. You're not in a huge stadium in a TEAM game where reflexes, reaction, and quickness and conditioning are the main ingredients. Concentration ? Not so much.

And it's never really dead silent on the golf course anyway. Birds are chirping, traffic is often driving right by. It's the unexpected noise and/or unnatural noises that distract a player - often right in his backswing. :classic_tongue:

Also from the Rules FAQs - 

Making a Stroke

Playing Music During Stroke

Q.May I play music?

A.Yes. However, you may not do so if the purpose is to eliminate distractions or help you with your swing. You should also show consideration to others (see Rule 4.3a(4) and Rule 1.2).

Rule 4.3a(4)

(4) Audio and Video.

• Allowed.

• Listening to audio or watching video on matters unrelated to the competition being played (such as a news report or background music).

• But in doing so, consideration should be shown to others (see Rule 1.2).

• Not Allowed.

• Listening to music or other audio to eliminate distractions or to help with swing tempo

It's 2020.....Rules are for suckers! (Sarc)

• Haha 1

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

On 11/24/2020 at 10:47 AM, RoyalMustang said:

I am with you. The first round I ever played, with my grandma in 5th grade, was a lesson etiquette.  It had nothing to do with hitting the ball. It was: "where do you stand? When is it your turn?  How do you replace a divot?  Why you don't walk in someone else's putting path.  When is it appropriate to pull the pin?   Why you don't move or speak when someone else is hitting."

I spent 25 years away and things are shockingly different today.  Every day I play, there is usually at least one group of idiots I have to contend with, usually guys on the younger side.  Playing multiple balls, goofing around in carts, being super loud, holding up play.   I recently had a group of college frat bros pick up my ball as I was walking toward it.  They were looking for their wayward ball, saw mine, and decided to pocket it; I had to chase them down!  Later, I saw the same group driving a cart up on the green. 

Yesterday, we had a group of little kids out there driving carts (about 9 years old-they shouldn't have been operating carts as they kept hitting one another), and they were spending 10 minutes on the green, just goofing around while a big stack of groups waited behind.  Last week, it was Jr. high kids who knew not a thing about etiquette and were playing in groups of 8; they just showed up for a shotgun start in the middle of the day and everyone already playing got stuck out the course.  

Certainly, back then as a kid, it was different: loud music at the course wasn't a thing. Carts weren't a thing.  It was about golf and not so much about getting drunk with buddies and being loud.  One didn't just show up and start playing golf: you were brought in by someone and taught the ropes. 

Very telling that there's only one "Like" on this post.

Sad state our society is in....

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

On 11/24/2020 at 2:53 PM, golfer929 said:

I think half of this thread can just be summed up as “Old man shakes fist at sky” Gentleman, things change over time. I’m sure your grandfathers were complaining about how slow pace was back then and they hated that you drove carts nowadays and that nobody fixed ball marks. They probably hated listening to your 70’s and 80’s rock bands too!

Really? Nothing changed from my grandfathers time to mine. I’ve never taken a buggy, always fixed ballmarks,  never played music etc. They’d have had no cause to complain at all.

the recent yobbery, yes they would 

• Like 2

On 11/18/2020 at 5:15 PM, straightshot7 said:

Too many word not alloweds threatening marshalls is why they don't have them anymore at most public courses.

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

18 hours ago, Amps said:

You complained and got your money back though, yeah? 

Not exactly: he credited my account for a future round when I complained. It was all he could do, but I was OK with that. They are usually pretty cool to me at that course.  The people I was playing with however were pissed, as they paid for 18 and had to catch a plane later in the afternoon.  They didn't expect to be at the course for 5 hours playing a 3800 yard par 60 exec. course so they had to bail after 7 holes. 

On 11/24/2020 at 1:30 PM, From_Parts_Unknown said:

Easy there Green Bast*rd.

• Like 2

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler