Can forgiveness become a bad thing?

CW13

46 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

You’re a 15 enamored with 300 yard drives and 180 yard 7 irons? Do you hit those regularly or just hoping to?  Just curious as I have never ever met one of those.

Pretty funny eh ?

Perhaps it's just my perception but "lashing" at the ball implies, to me anyway, an uncontrolled swing. It's not the same as swinging "easy" or "hard".

So he's "lashing" at the ball but uses smaller heads to focus more ? Hmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

4 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Pretty funny eh ?

Perhaps it's just my perception but "lashing" at the ball implies, to me anyway, an uncontrolled swing. It's not the same as swinging "easy" or "hard".

So he's "lashing" at the ball but uses smaller heads to focus more ? Hmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,

I would also add that it could be the difference between a swinger and a hitter.  Do you swing through the ball or hit at the ball?  I could interpret a hitter as a lasher as well as the uncontrolled swing.

I can get this way when I get a bit too focused on the ball and impact vs. making a good swing.

• Like 1

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

10 minutes ago, gwelfgulfer said:

I would also add that it could be the difference between a swinger and a hitter.  Do you swing through the ball or hit at the ball?  I could interpret a hitter as a lasher as well as the uncontrolled swing.

I can get this way when I get a bit too focused on the ball and impact vs. making a good swing.

You can interpret it any way you like - just as I did.

I'm still trying to figure out how someone complains about someone else "conveniently leaving out part of the story" and then leaves out 4 years between a 4.7 handicap index and an 18. :classic_laugh:

I mean a 4.7 index, even having never picked up a club in 3 years, playing on an easy course and losing 13 balls ??? :classic_rolleyes: 

Not that I'd ever be out of golf that long sans a significant health issue but I'd like to think that wouldn't happen to me - butt who knows ? ¯\_()_/¯

Titleist Pro V1X

Don’t get caught up in the whole blades are for better player and GI irons are for beginners. Clubs is such a personal thing that you will probably go through theee or four sets before you start to realize what you like. When I started playing, I loved blades for the pure aspect of getting instant feedback on if I’m hitting it well. Between then and now I’ve owned probably 20 sets of golf clubs both with GI in the design and others with nothing but a solid mass of metal. I’ve also hit combo sets of both. Try different ones and see what performs for you but also looks and sounds good. Believe it or not, that is also something to take into consideration when looking for clubs. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I've been playing a long time. For me personally, I prefer a smaller clubhead overall which doesn't necessarily mean unforgiving. Some of todays designs with the use of tungsten, etc.. have produced exceptionally stable player's irons. From my own experience, the biggest factor for me is the sole of the l club. Turf interaction for any specific swing is key in my opinion. That's just me. Others may feel differently.

7 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

I play almost all my golf at primarily 2 clubs. The Club Champion at one is a +1 and plays G410 irons. The other is a scratch and plays older FG59 Wilson blades. 

So SGI clubs ARE better. I KNEW IT. 

All kidding aside, forgiveness for me is losing less distance on toe or thin strikes. And that works with those designs. 
But I can’t look at them, so I play clubs „designed for low single hcps“. Which is a bullcrap statement. I shoot in the 90‘s currently and no club design will shave enough strokes off my scores to make me a single handicapper. The turnout is too little and looks are very important to me, so I accept the distance loss on the bad strikes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

2 hours ago, Shilgy said:

You’re a 15 enamored with 300 yard drives and 180 yard 7 irons? Do you hit those regularly or just hoping to?  Just curious as I have never ever met one of those.

To be honest that was about 10 years ago before I took a break from gold. Still, since my clubhead speed was measured in the 120's I have been able to hit it over 300 yards pretty consistently and had my h.c to single digits playing from the back tees. However, I was horrible with wedges and chipping. I also played a hook.

Fast forward to the present and since I am still pretty active at 55 years old I still have the tendency to lash at the ball and now my back hurts more than it did. I clearly have a disconnect between my brain and my body because the brain still thinks I'm 25. Playing blades requires me to relax and do an easier swing. This is my experience and I can't speak for anyone else.

• Like 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

57 minutes ago, chipa said:

To be honest that was about 10 years ago before I took a break from gold. Still, since my clubhead speed was measured in the 120's I have been able to hit it over 300 yards pretty consistently and had my h.c to single digits playing from the back tees. However, I was horrible with wedges and chipping. I also played a hook.

Fast forward to the present and since I am still pretty active at 55 years old I still have the tendency to lash at the ball and now my back hurts more than it did. I clearly have a disconnect between my brain and my body because the brain still thinks I'm 25. Playing blades requires me to relax and do an easier swing. This is my experience and I can't speak for anyone else.

So when you pick up a blade your brain knows you're 55,,,,, but when you pick up something else it thinks you're still 25 ? :classic_blink: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Titleist Pro V1X

My view is it depends what type of golf you want to play. 

Forgiving clubs will help you to play the best possible golf right now. But there are trade off's. 

Less forgiving clubs will give you more shot feedback, that if used correctly can improve your game over time. Be mindful that if you go this route may get worse before you get better. 

• Like 1

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

27 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

So when you pick up a blade your brain knows you're 55,,,,, but when you pick up something else it thinks you're still 25 ? :classic_blink: 

Good grief 😉

I feel like most pros nowadays feel more at ease taking a lash at the driver compared to when drivers were the size of a small orange.

Anyway I have found a solution which is what we golfers do getting equipment that we feel will help us the best.

• Like 1

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

30 minutes ago, chipa said:

I feel like most pros nowadays feel more at ease taking a lash at the driver compared to when drivers were the size of a small orange.

This is true, no doubt about it. And for that reason I admire the Tour pros who shot low scores using steel shafted persimmon woods.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

1 hour ago, chipa said:

Good grief 😉

Anyway I have found a solution which is what we golfers do getting equipment that we feel will help us the best.

Congratulations, it takes a lot for someone to admit they are mentally weak.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chipa said:

Good grief 😉

My thought exactly,,,,,,,,,,:classic_wink:

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

1 hour ago, chippa13 said:

Congratulations, it takes a lot for someone to admit they are mentally weak.

Actually it's quite a common Catholic trait.

Notes:

6 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Pretty funny eh ?

My friend I think you are getting there. 🙂 Yes I make lashing uncontrolled swings at times so having an unforgiving club helps me refrain from doing that (at times) at least with the irons.

Notes:

Golf equipment companies have misled consumers. Specifically. the club design engineers employed by Callaway, Ping, Titlieist, TaylorMade, Mizuno etc...hang their hats on computer modeling data which reveals a larger head size club produces better shots from mishits. 

But if a larger head causes more mishit shots than a smaller head, is the larger head truly "more forgiving"? The answer is no, and that is why so many posts within this thread are from players proclaiming they strike better shots with a relatively small head.

2 hours ago, kizzy911 said:

Forgiveness is not a bad thing.

Ego is bad thing

Personally I think this is the bigger question. 

Bigger, chunkier, “more forgiving” irons might help my miss, but they get my ego fired up...which causes problems. 

In my view, smaller heads take the ego out of the equation (sounds backwards, but my brain thinks it’s fine). I know I need to be ON, otherwise, I’m dead. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6S

Fairway: Titleist TSR2 18* | Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X

Fairway: Titleist TSi2 21* | Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7X

Irons: Mizuno Pro 223 4-P | Project X 6.0

Gap Wedge: Callaway MD5 Jaws 50* | Project X 6.5

Sand Wedge: Titleist SM9 54* | Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+ | LAGP P-Series 135 | Superstroke Pistol GT Tour

Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X

15 hours ago, chipa said:

Yes. Big ball vs small ball.  And it is a mental setting.  Scalpel vs sledge hammer.   

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

10 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

Golf equipment companies have misled consumers. Specifically. the club design engineers employed by Callaway, Ping, Titlieist, TaylorMade, Mizuno etc...hang their hats on computer modeling data which reveals a larger head size club produces better shots from mishits. 

But if a larger head causes more mishit shots than a smaller head, is the larger head truly "more forgiving"? The answer is no, and that is why so many posts within this thread are from players proclaiming they strike better shots with a relatively small head.

Aha.  This guy ^ is actually think about this. Chicken or the egg?  I can’t get anyone to think about it this way.   But you’re onto the truth.   

flat driving range mat , big and wide may rule.  But golf isn’t played there.  

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

14 hours ago, nsxguy said:

I’ll regret this reply i know. But....

i identify with his statement.  Give me forgiveness and I instantly and instinctively want to hit it harder and farther.  I don’t know why.  But it’s quite detrimental to your game.   It’s The “ because I can” thing.  If I know a 9 iron “ can “ fly 175 on a max swing ... and I pull a 173 yardage I’m going to try to nuke the springy 9.  Vs normally where that’s a smooth 7 iron all day every day unless massive downhill or wind. 

I think it’s for several reasons.  One - ego.  My ego comes into it when I have the launcher type irons in the bag. If I’m not hitting less club , what’s the point of carrying them ?  Right ?   And 2.  Spin.  You need to hit these irons harder to get them to spin.  Spin is control.  Faster players aren’t thinking  release. We’re thinking carry only.  Ball will be dead where it lands , even on dry greens with a 5 iron down if I’m playing an MB.  Because of spin. Seeing a 9 iron fly 160  and then roll isn’t forgiveness. Or distance control . So you try to hit it higher and harder for the stopping power.  

and no this isn’t a fall over swing.  It’s just a hard swing.  Most good players are going about  80 % on most irons swings. Which I know someone will say booo too.  But it’s true.  Distance irons make me swing harder.  It’s not an isolated though as you Can see. Folks are being honest whne they say this.  It’s been said too many  times by too many people who aren’t just copying each other. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

OP, the 716 CB is actually quite a “forgiving” iron. Low CG, reasonably centred sweet spot, tungsten weighting forged into the head, high MOI, and a slim sole that won’t interfere with you getting to the back of the ball. I played them for quite a while and can say they are easily as forgiving as some bigger clubs. 

I broke par for the first time this year with blades. I’ve also broken par with small players CBs. There isn’t a massive difference to be honest. Some for sure, but not tons. Make sure the shaft you have fits and your lie is correct. Stick with your clubs and find a good coach. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Now it is just getting silly.

No it's just like every other thread similar to this one

Guys are basically suggesting that Game Improvement clubs take over your body the same way Dr Octopus's mechanical limbs did, severing the part of your cortex that deals with concentration, thus forcing you to into hitting bad shots. 

As i said in the other (and other, and other) threads, there are degrees of truth in many things said, but we tend to extrapolate them to comical proportions to satisfy our confirmation bias

a 6 yard difference in strikes becomes "I overshoot greens by 40yards!" , and not liking the way an offset club looks becomes "They force me not to concentrate!"

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

3 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

No it's just like every other thread similar to this one

Guys are basically suggesting that Game Improvement clubs take over your body the same way Dr Octopus's mechanical limbs did, severing the part of your cortex that deals with concentration, thus forcing you to into hitting bad shots. 

As i said in the other (and other, and other) threads, there are degrees of truth in many things said, but we tend to extrapolate them to comical proportions to satisfy our confirmation bias

a 6 yard difference in strikes becomes "I overshoot greens by 40yards!" , and not liking the way an offset club looks becomes "They force me not to concentrate!"

You’re not wrong Jeff.  But isn’t the opposite true too ?  The “ I put g410 Irons in the bag and my handicap dropped 8 shots last week “ guys.  There’s literally a thread saying just that on the first page now.  

bottom line is play what suits you.  That’s what will be forgiving to YOU. Right ?  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Some guys claim "focus improves with a smaller head" but not me. I've played lots of rounds of golf with the  largest head designs and also the smallest heads with no difference in terms of focus and, or, concentration.

What I do notice is that the larger the head size , the harder the club is to square at impact, especially from less than ideal lies.

Consider the fact that players struggle to play good shots with a driver from the fairway. The reason for this is that without a tee, a 300CC to 460 CC size head is hard to square at impact. The same is true for irons, as the head size becomes larger the club becomes more bulky to swing, square at impact. This is a key factor of club design which engineers and their computer models ignore.

2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

You’re not wrong Jeff.  But isn’t the opposite true too ?  The “ I put g410 Irons in the bag and my handicap dropped 8 shots last week “ guys.  There’s literally a thread saying just that on the first page now.  

bottom line is play what suits you.  That’s what will be forgiving to YOU. Right ?  

Oh yeah i agree, the "immediate improvement threads" can also become high comedy... posts where it's like "i cut 1/4 of an inch of my driver shaft and went from hitting 0 fairways a round to now hitting 14"....or "I swing so poorly with 460cc drivers i would often just swing and miss the ball entirely, but since i went to 445cc it's nothing but 275yd  fades down the middle"

Obviously i'm exaggerating now, but you get the idea

I believe in the launch science and stuff, i mean there are differences. And guys SHOULD play what they are most comfortable with as you say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique