Inversion for back pain

Tanner25

We have a Teeter Inversion table.   It has worked very well for me.    There have been multiple times that I have pulled a muscle round my belt line that would make bending over terribly hard.   I turn to the inversion table and within a few days, I'm good to go.   Recently, I had sciatica and believe me, the table has paid for itself many times over.  

• Like 2

Is this that thing where you can control time and make it go backwards?

didn't know you could buy those yet, though you had to be some sort of scientist oligarch

Edited by MtlJeff
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I've had a teeter for years. I will never be without one. I NEVER invert totally upside down.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Travel for work eliminates my perfect attendance award but after a few hours on a plane or a 7-hour drive I honestly look forward to it. 

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Have one. Wished it worked better than it does but was worth the experiment. I have better luck with my back massage pad that has the shiatsu/rolling options with the heated nodules.  Was doing the chiro thing for a bit, but it takes me a couple trips to get anything freed up enough to get anything to pop. That and Tylenol 3 (codein) keeps me in decent form. Have 3 bulged L spin discs and one T spine (pretty uncommon) so my biggest issue is tension which the inversion table just wasn’t killing. Wasn’t any harder to set up than any other piece of equipment that requires assembly. Does take up some room, but many now have the ability to breakdown to a point where they will slide under a bed. 

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

I started using it. It's my wife's one which she bought 20+ years ago so it doesn't have all the fancy bulge and stuff as these new ones have. But hey, it works perfectly fine. You have to adjust it for your height and it does take a little while to get use to it.

I still have a hard time getting use to the blood into the head but any relief is better than no relief. Sometimes the back pops, mostly it doesn't but take as much as you can.

My chiro recommended me to continue using it but she said I do not have to spend a long time on it.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I use mine usually about 3 or 4 times a week for about 5 minutes and only invert enough to give myself a good stretch.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

I've had a Teeter for at least twenty years and have upgraded to the newer models twice.  I used to use it daily and sometimes more than once in a day.

However, about five years ago I started seeing a chiropractor once a month and now I don't feel the need to invert nearly as often although it would probably still be beneficial.

It takes awhile to get the "hang" of using one correctly but I experienced life changing results back in the beginning.  I went from constant lower back pain that bordered on crippling to being able to resume all of the activities that I enjoy.

Incorporating the use of an inversion table in combination with other basic stretches and exercises is what worked best for me.  I don't think there's any one magic fix that makes back pain disappear.  It's a matter of perseverance and experimenting and finding out what works best for you but an inversion table would be a sound investment to that end.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

7 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

I use mine usually about 3 or 4 times a week for about 5 minutes and only invert enough to give myself a good stretch.

I keep expecting my vertebrates to "pop" but last month or so, it has not. I think you're right, a good stretch is really all I should expect. Like I said, I don't like the feel of the blood in my head since I have hypertension, its not recommended so I do it less time now... but yeah, it gives temporary relief for sure.

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

I can get my back to pop pretty good by taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly all the way. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

It's not really necessary to hang totally vertical although I do from time to time.  Although it doesn't feel very aggressive I often find that my best relief comes from only about a two thirds tilt and for a longer period of time.

And yes exhaling and relaxing definitely enhances the effect.  In fact, at least once or twice a day I will lie flat on my stomach with my arms outstretched and exhale completely and let my body go totally limp.  When doing this the sensation I experience in my lower back is one of decompression and I always feel better afterwards.  It only takes a couple of minutes and is so simple but I find it very beneficial.

Another simple maneuver that always helps is to again lie flat on my stomach but then raise my head and rest my chin on my hands like we used to do when watching TV as kids.  It creates a nice arch in the lower back that opens up the vertebrae and relaxes the lower back muscles.  Again, it's super simple and only takes a few minutes but you might be surprised at the benefit.

I perform these two stretches first thing every morning as well as something called "Supermans". Again, lie flat on your stomach with arms outstretched and slightly raise both arms and legs as if you were flying like Superman.  I typically will raise and lower my arms and legs slowly ten times and then raise and hold both for about ten seconds.

Just a couple of things that I've found work for me over the many years I've dealt with lower back issues.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

I have had one for about 30 years. Using the table type one does not need much tilt - I found research that about 10 degrees is enough. That doesn't give a blood rush. I think stretching the muscles allows the vertebrae to move instead of locking in a position where they .cause an issue. Little and often helps. I rarely use it these days but keep it. They are a bit bulky but ok.

3x a week .. great stretch 

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I got an inversion table. It may help some people because it can help stretch the body some, but is limited. It didn't really help me for back pain. In my opinion, the best thing you can do for back pain is stretch your hamstrings, calves, glutes, and lower back (everything on your back side). Everything is connected in the back, so when the muscles and connective tissue shortens (which happens everyday), it starts pulling everything causing pain. Usually the lower back is the weak link for the pain to start.  I truly believe that most chronic pain as you age is due to people getting less flexible and decreasing range of motion. When you start to stretch regularly, you will notice those aching pains go away. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

I got an inversion table. It may help some people because it can help stretch the body some, but is limited. It didn't really help me for back pain. In my opinion, the best thing you can do for back pain is stretch your hamstrings, calves, glutes, and lower back (everything on your back side). Everything is connected in the back, so when the muscles and connective tissue shortens (which happens everyday), it starts pulling everything causing pain. Usually the lower back is the weak link for the pain to start.  I truly believe that most chronic pain as you age is due to people getting less flexible and decreasing range of motion. When you start to stretch regularly, you will notice those aching pains go away. 

...learning a new swing 😜

So here's a question. Is it better to invert and then stretch or stretch and then invert?

On 11/29/2020 at 4:05 AM, Tanner25 said:

Amyone, invert for relief of lower back pain? I am sure most people are apprehensive before buying one. Tell us about your experience. Was it beneficial? Which one did you buy? Was it easy to set up? Are they heavy?

I’d just use a pull up bar, might not AS effective, but effective nonetheless. A few mins a day works wonder. 
U can also work on ur arms, shoulders, and lats while u are at it. 
Cheers

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tanner25 said:

Is there any other products out there, maybe an inversion chair or something else that are similar? But, you are not fully inverted? 

You only invert as far as you want to with the table. You adjust the table for your correct height and when you lay on it with your hands on your stomach you should be level. Just move your hands up a little at a time and you will invert more. I never fully invert. It's especially isn't a good idea to invert fully if you're older.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

I have a teeter and use mine on occasion as needed.  Helps with stiffness/soreness in my lower back.  Less so mid to upper back, but there’s still some benefit there as well.  I used to go to chiropractor 3-4 times a year but since owning it I barely go at all, maybe once in the last 3-4 years.

As others have mentioned, there are some risks.  If you have glaucoma or high blood pressure, might want to talk to your doc first.

Edited by blues72
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 11:11 PM, SwingBlues said:

...learning a new swing 😜

So here's a question. Is it better to invert and then stretch or stretch and then invert?

I didn't really come to any conclusions with that. Best to experiment.  But I would add to be careful with inversion tables and conservatively tilt at first because they can pull on the knee and ankle joints a lot. Also to add, a pull-up bar helps with stretching. I use a pull-up bar to hang from that stretches arms, shoulders, and parts of the back.

Edited by tacklingdummy

16 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

I didn't really come to any conclusions with that. Best to experiment.  But I would add to be careful with inversion tables and conservatively tilt at first because they can pull on the knee and ankle joints a lot. Also to add, a pull-up bar helps with stretching. I use a pull-up bar to hang from that stretches arms, shoulders, and parts of the back.

I would add that personally I have never found it necessary to EVER invert fully to get the full benefits of inversion therapy.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

Body inversions have multiple effects.  First is the function on the heart and blood vessels which ordinarily are familiar with the normal situation: 'head above heart'.  When up-side down the heart is above the head and now the blood in the legs in rushing down towards the heart and the blood in the heart is rushing down to the brain. This can cause problems for folks with blood pressure issues or capillary troubles in the eyes, so inversions for such folks is 'take it real slow'. (Of course, although i use the word 'rushing' there is no free flow of blood, it all under control and  pressure regulated, to some degree).

Next is the result of the inversion on the internal organs, heart, kidneys, liver etc.  These are now subjected to a new regime which may mean an increase or decrease in blood flow, but usually beneficial. Usually too, esp for beginners, is that  the breathing and  respiratory systems are stressed, which is good.  Here is where self-inversions cause much trouble for overweights and  smokers. 

Joints, esp the vertebrae, are treated to a new outlook and stress reduction when the normal weight of the body is flipped over. 

Now depending on how one inverts, the muscles, tendons and ligaments may be affected also.  If hung by your ankles from the ceiling by ropes your muscles will be doing little work and gravity is taking over.  But if you  are doing an unsupported head stand, then your body is getting a good workout coz the muscles, esp your core from the nipples to the knees, is really working to keep you up and straight.  The goal is vertical, not tilted, so that takes considerable balance and continual adjustment using various muscles, etc.

For older guys starting out i recommend the easiest inversion which is lie flat on the floor with both legs fully raised vertical against the wall. Here your heart will be pumping blood up to your legs, and your hamstrings stretched out. Good stuff.

For some back relief try this: flat on the floor (i'm a yoga guy so it's always on the mat with bare feet and few clothes) but no shoes and loose clothing on a clean floor will work. Then do the 'crocodile' pose: You probably won't be as limber as the model, nor breathe as easily but not to worry.  And there is no magic bullet to relieve life's torments or stiffnesses. Keep at it. 

• Like 2

Nice model, I could study that form all day long...l! 😍👍

I think for me personally, its my psoas muscle groups, thats the root cause of my rain. I found some stretches that relieve it including some Yoga forms. So I rely less on the inversion other than a minute or 2 max. As an earlier poster stated, its also a combination of other muscle groups that impact the area so I throw in additional stretches.

Good thing with the YouTube as in the old days, I would still be in pain & trying to figure out WHY...

Edited by SwingBlues