2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2021 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

13 hours ago, KBong said:

I think the LPGA gals keep their relationships very private as I think disclosure might hinder their endorsement potentials???

Yet on the PGA tour...the pro's relationships, GF's are quite public....but then again....there's more attention/exposure  on the PGA tour vs. the LPGA tour.

I've read on these forums that keeping relationships quiet due to endorsements was a Korean tendency. But Bo Mee Lee did announce her engagement. It seems recently the JLPGA players are more private. But the media coverage there is bigger.

Many of the engagements seem to be revealed in the US: Kupcho, Austin Ernst, Alley Ewing, Creamer the 2nd time around, Cheyenne Woods, Wie-West, Anna Norqvist, Pernilla, Brittany(who caddies for her sister Brooke) among others.

I'm thinking the Kordas (not sure about Sebastian) aren't really interested in the media and wish to be "normal" people. Jess and Nelly for the most part have been below average interviews despite growing up in a sports family and having success at a young age.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AWinfortheAges said:

I've read on these forums that keeping relationships quiet due to endorsements was a Korean tendency. But Bo Mee Lee did announce her engagement. It seems recently the JLPGA players are more private. But the media coverage there is bigger.

Many of the engagements seem to be revealed in the US: Kupcho, Austin Ernst, Alley Ewing, Creamer the 2nd time around, Cheyenne Woods, Wie-West, Anna Norqvist, Pernilla, Brittany(who caddies for her sister Brooke) among others.

I'm thinking the Kordas (not sure about Sebastian) aren't really interested in the media and wish to be "normal" people. Jess and Nelly for the most part have been below average interviews despite growing up in a sports family and having success at a young age.

For sure the Koreans are more private than the Americans.

I used to golf with a Korean lady....who did not care to golf with random Koreans because of the gossip factor....she had her usual circle of Korean golfing GF's.

Edited by KBong

More details about the Drive On event on February 3-5, 2022:

LPGA Tour event on the verge of coming to Crown Colony in Fort Myers in February

"The Fort Myers event will not have a gallery or sell tickets. Crown Colony members will be able to attend the 120-player tournament, which also will not have a pro-am. It also will only be streamed on the Golf Channel or NBC's Peacock service, and not be televised."

"Feb. 3-5 is a Thursday-Saturday, with the final round not played on the usual Sunday.  There will be a Monday qualifier on Jan. 31, but only practice rounds the following two days. The field will be cut to the top 70 and ties for the final round."

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Some good news about Gabriela Ruffels from Golf Channel video:

Ruffels looks to 2022 after Cactus Tour win

She's an interesting one - still only 21 with a terrific golf pedigree (US am + some very good pro event results).

Not sure what to make of her but can't deny the potential is still there.

• Like 3

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

Some good news about Gabriela Ruffels from Golf Channel video:

Ruffels looks to 2022 after Cactus Tour win

Been following her due to some of my Aussie friends having mentioned her (though they're mostly Minjee fanatics) - always wondered why Gabi  (and to a lesser extent, her brother) hadn't gotten "in stride". 

No doubt has the athlete(s) gene in the family -- just need to have it translated to golf... needless to say, her, her brother and JDay are good friends (obvious why I follow JDay along with Hideki on the PGA even if JDays glory days are long over).    JDay and her brother even played pairs in a "sanctioned" PGA event a few years back. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

She's an interesting one - still only 21 with a terrific golf pedigree (US am + some very good pro event results).

Not sure what to make of her but can't deny the potential is still there.

Overhyped???....didn't even advance out of Stage II.

A USGA Women's Am championship often doesn't translate to LPGA stardom.

In the past 2 decades....all we have are Lydia, Kang and Pressel as LPGA winners.

4 hours ago, 18majors said:

More details about the Drive On event on February 3-5, 2022:

LPGA Tour event on the verge of coming to Crown Colony in Fort Myers in February

"The Fort Myers event will not have a gallery or sell tickets. Crown Colony members will be able to attend the 120-player tournament, which also will not have a pro-am. It also will only be streamed on the Golf Channel or NBC's Peacock service, and not be televised."

"Feb. 3-5 is a Thursday-Saturday, with the final round not played on the usual Sunday.  There will be a Monday qualifier on Jan. 31, but only practice rounds the following two days. The field will be cut to the top 70 and ties for the final round."

WTH???....is this a JOKE or is it April 1?

Kinda like the post/thread from @fredogolfer about the LPGA Afgan🤣 event.

If it's true.....Bravo Mollie...GREAT WORK.🤣

3 minutes ago, KBong said:

A bad tournament!  Jack had bad tournaments, Tiger had bad tournaments.

Yuka Saso didn't advance out of 2019 Q-School Stage II; she turned around and won USWO two years later.   Incidentally, USWO is the only tournament every Korean player, including Jin Young Ko, dreams of winning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KBong said:

Do you know how much players appreciate to have one extra tournament?  Do you rather not have a tournament?

What else can you do other than screaming, cursing for your own purposes?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KBong said:

Good grief, a private event for members of a private club, for subscribers of a service that is only partially free. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fredogolfer said:

Good grief, a private event for members of a private club, for subscribers of a service that is only partially free. 

This is how a commissioner earns his or her keep!

She doesn't need to have this tournament for herself; but she went extra miles to schedule a tournament for the players.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

This is how a commissioner earns his or her keep!

She doesn't need to have this tournament for herself; but she went extra miles to schedule a tournament for the players.

LMAO....yup Mollie has her fingerprints all over this event.

Mollie still hiding under a rock doing nothing.

Has she even responded to you to lift you LPGA event restraining order?

Kent said he received an email from South Florida PGA Section executive director Geoff Lofstead a month ago asking if the club would be willing to having a conversation about hosting an LPGA Tour event. The process just grew from there, including talking with Andy Bush, a partner at Outlyr, the company that took over the LPGA events previously managed by Octagon over the past year and also owns and runs the PGA Tour Champions’ Chubb Classic in Naples.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/12/14/lpga-drive-on-championship-to-fort-myers-in-2022-is-imminent/

9 hours ago, KBong said:

A USGA Women's Am championship often doesn't translate to LPGA stardom.

In the past 2 decades....all we have are Lydia, Kang and Pressel as LPGA winners.

I don't think its overhyped, more excitement and anticipation for an elite amateur (in addition to the US amateur, she also won the North and South amateur) that has done well in pro events as an amateur.  That points to someone that can handle top pro event pressure (I acknowledge that expectations on an amateur in this scenario can be different from a pro):

image.png.2e77fbead935bd74becdf9b8a2c1c6e5.png

She turned pro only in 2021, so she had 3 top 15's in majors as an amateur - impressive.

One thing that we shouldn't forget is the impact covid has had on the pro golf world. It will have affected all golfers to some degree but can't have been easy on new, young pros in particular.

So I'm giving her a leave pass and at 21, she has plenty of time to 'make it' as a very good pro.

C'mon @KBong, give her some love.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Jessica Korda got married this past weekend. Of course Nelly, brother Sebastian and brother Petr were there. 

Bridesmaids included, Nelly, Austin Ernst, Jodi Ewart, and Allison Lee. Did not see Sophia P or Meghan Kang.

Surprised about Austin Ernst, she seems to be more in the Cheyenne Knight, Ally Mcdonald, Amy Anderson group. 

Other notable guests, Rickie Fowler, Morgan Pressel, Justin Thomas, and Patrick Cantlay.

Rumor has it there were a couple of scantily clad women going around offering massages to the guests as a perk and that the wedding hall was decorated with orchids.

If I were to invite 10 LPGAers to my wedding I’d pick

1. Muni He so she could bring Alex Albon

2. Georgia Hall

3. Charley Hull

4. Gaby Lopez

5. Dame Laura Davies

6. Lorena Ochoa

7. Ingee Chun, although ideally she’d be the bride

8. Anna Nordqvist ( we need a tall blond)

9. Aditi Ashok

10. Ariya so she could bring Moriya

I’d also consider Simi Mehra, Bianca P, Dottie Ardina, Brooke H, Pernilla, So Yeon Ryu, Jin Young Ko

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, fredogolfer said:

If I were to invite 10 LPGAers to my wedding I’d pick

1. Muni He so she could bring Alex Albon

2. Georgia Hall

3. Charley Hull

4. Gaby Lopez

5. Dame Laura Davies

6. Lorena Ochoa

7. Ingee Chun, although ideally she’d be the bride

8. Anna Nordqvist ( we need a tall blond)

9. Aditi Ashok

10. Ariya so she could bring Moriya

I’d also consider Simi Mehra, Bianca P, Dottie Ardina, Brooke H, Pernilla, So Yeon Ryu, Jin Young Ko

LUV Dumbo.....Korean SMOKESHOW.

In bold...you have some questionable taste...WTH???

I'd just invite FIGJAM....he's GENEROUS....likely would buy me a house as a wedding gift.🤣

1 minute ago, KBong said:

You know me...I have my 20 fav gals...anyone outside this group ...they are all POSERS.....and Ruffels POSED....she couldn't advance out of Stage II playing against some wash-outs.🤣

Only 20 fav gals - why limit yourself?🤣

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, KBong said:

I have other fav gals...but they are retired.

Jan?

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, fredogolfer said:

I'm assuming this is what occurred.

I assume when they announced the Drive On event a while ago as a TBD event on the LPGA sked....they had a host course venue in place....then for some reason the club bailed...now they are scrambling for a host club.

Nov-Mar is prime season for golf in FLA....so many FLA clubs don't want to host a LPGA event and disrupt play.

Crown Colony is all they could come up with.

Maybe Crown Colony....a course in a gated community has a small infrastruture and can't handle the normal amenities required to broadcast or host spectators.
But likely the members voted to say...they wanted as little disruption as possible and wear & tear to their course/club.

Bush and the LPGA couldn't event negotiate with Crown Colony that money raised from ticket sales would all be donated to a charity.

In the article...seems like Crown Colony has selfish reasons to host the event for their own branding purposes.

If Mollie had any back bone she'd cancel the event considering Crown Colony is putting a gun to the head of all parties involved.

Mollie chirps about growing the game and more exposure to the LPGA...how is no TV, no spectators, no pro-am growing the exposure to the LPGA game...especially if the LPGA is funding the purse....there has yet to be an announcement of a presenting sponsor.

This event has MICKEY MOUSE written all over it.

15 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

Jan?

Yes, Jan is one of many retired pros that I like.

Jan is the SINGULAR reason why I started to watch the LPGA...back in the 70's and 80's...IMO...she was the ONLY LPGA SMOKESHOW....I never cared for Laura Baugh.

I have a DVD of an instructional golf vid by Jan....but I have no clue where it is nowadays....I also have a selfie with Jan from 1980...again...no clue where it is.

I understand Jan can be a bit of a B*TCH.....that's OK....I like my women FIESTY and GOOD LOOKING.🤣

I heard Jan walked out of a pro-am because she thought one of the Am's was a TOOL.

The sun really took a toll on Jan's face as she aged.

I also like another Oz gal golfer too....Nikki Garrett (sp??)...another SMOKESHOW.

I'm a Su Oh fanboy...and I do like Minjee...even though she has no personality and a sore loser.🤣