2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

My chipper is now riding the bench

theorangeman

2 minutes ago, theorangeman said:

I started this thread about a year ago, which is when I finally committed to taking my chipper out of my bag and instead, started learning how to use my wedges.  While it took some time to make the transition, I can say happily now after a year, I have so much more to work with using my 58, 54, and 52 for most shots around the greens.  I've also learned how to use my 9 iron pretty well on really thin lies (~30-50 yards out) when I don't have confidence in my 54.  That's what I love about my short game now - I have options. 

For anyone thinking about doing this, I would encourage it!  That said, I live on a golf course and get out 6 days a week.  If I were only playing once a month like I used to, I probably would have just kept using my chipper because it does take time to make the switch.

couldn't agree more. I was in the same boat, and after pulling the chipper out of my bag, and learning how to correctly use a bump&run 8i or chippy 52*, i don't miss it at all. 

• Like 2

Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60g 

3 Wood: Titleist 910F 15* w/ Fujikura Diamana Kai'li 75g

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 2H 21* w/ Fujikura Diamana Kai'li 80g

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal 4i-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 Neo +1/2

GW: Titleist Vokey SM6 Tour Chrome 52/12f +1/2

LW:  Titleist Vokey SM6 Tour Chrome 58/8m +1/2

Putter: Odyssey O-Works Red #7s w/ SS Zenergy Pistol 2.0

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Bag: Ping Hoofer

I bagged a chipper when I was early on in golf. It got the ax when I finally developed a good wedge game. Been sitter in the garage for years now. My daughter used it a little, but a good mate was recently missing having one in the bag so it's finding a new home. He is about the same score as me but not around greens so this will keep us both improving. No shame. Build a bag that works for you

• Like 2

TM 300 Mini 

Adams Idea Pro Gold Tour Proto 20*

Callaway X-Forged UT @24*

Miura CB-501's; 6-PW

Vokey Spin Milled @51*

Cleveland 588 Rotex @56*

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4 or Odyssey WH XG #9

All tucked in a Jones Utility with a single strap

Get a higher lofted hybrid head (4, 5, 6 or whatever that you like), add a shorter graphite shaft with plenty of extra head weight (heavy removable weights, shaft tip weight, maybe metal ferrule) to get the swingweight that you like and you have a great triple duty club: chipper, recovery club from rough, under trees etc and an approach club.

I've done this with a Titleist 818H1 head with graphite shaft that I have set-up to play at 38 inches as an experiment and it has potential. 80 gr shaft, 20 gr removable weight, 8 gr metal ferrule and 10 gr shaft tip weight. swingweights at D4. Just mucking around with it and my chipping is great now but in the past I have been a crappy chipper, if I regress I have an interesting 'solution' (sorry, bandaid).

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

On 3/15/2021 at 9:58 AM, theorangeman said:

I just thought I'd report back for those who might be entertaining dumping their chipper as well.  In my experience, it is so much worth it.  Yeah, my short game took a step backwards after letting the chipper go, but after probably about 35 rounds or so and a LOT of practice chipping around the green, I love the versatility that I have now.  

I still have a long way to go, but it's great to have more options.  On my course, we have a lot of bare lies that can be tough for me to hit the ball cleanly so depending on the lie and my level of confidence, I can now pull out my 8, 9, W, U, S or Vokey 58.  

Sometimes you just have to blow things up and start over.  Dumping my chipper was definitely worth it.  However, if I didn't live on a golf course and had the opportunity to get out almost every day, I'm not so sure I would have done it.  

Yeah, I made the transition of dropping the Chipper last season and it was best thing I ever did for my Golf game.

Absolutely brutal in the short term trying to learn how to properly chip and use wedges, but it opens up so many more options within 50 yds of the green.

I don’t ridicule or shame anyone using a Chipper, because I used one myself and was really good with it…but it’s a crutch and a one-trick-pony that stunts your short game and hurts you in the long term.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 1/6/2022 at 9:25 AM, BallerNate said:

Yeah, I made the transition of dropping the Chipper last season and it was best thing I ever did for my Golf game.

Absolutely brutal in the short term trying to learn how to properly chip and use wedges, but it opens up so many more options within 50 yds of the green.

I don’t ridicule or shame anyone using a Chipper, because I used one myself and was really good with it…but it’s a crutch and a one-trick-pony that stunts your short game and hurts you in the long term.

Definitely agree.  No shame at all with using a chipper, although some like to do so.  I would actually recommend it to players who don't get out very often.  Unless you have the opportunity to practice using your wedges, the chipper might be the better option.  This past year, I had the opportunity to get out probably 6 days a week.

• Like 1

The thing about using a chipper is that it removes another club from the bag that may be much more useful. The last time I used one was way back when I only had two wedges, because PW and SW was all they made. A chipper has the advantage of using the same stroke as a putter, but you can do that with just about any club. I chip with my 6 through 9 irons, choked down to duplicate my grip on my putter. The further from the green I am the more loft I use, to pop the ball over the turf to the green. I don't chip with a wedge, as I find them more difficult to control the roll out distance.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

I don’t use a chipper, but there are plenty of players at my club who do. We have a guy in his 50’s who is a 4. He has a repeatable powerful swing. (He hits his 3 wood 240 carry at sea level) and he uses the exact club the OP said he took out of his bag.

He’s not only a magician with it around the greens, he’s deadly with it on full swings from 95-100 yards. It’s not like he can’t use his 60* Vokey on touch shots, he’s great with that also but in his words his chipper is “so easy, it’s like cheating.”

I read a post like the OP’s and shake my head. Why anyone would take a club they hit well out of their bag, because “perception” is beyond me.

• Like 3

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

• 1 year later...

Hello, Im a newbie here but would like to chime in on the subject of Chippers. Anyone that is a "purist" thinking that it's a "crutch" is neglecting to accept improvements in technology. In other words why accept the oversize drivers that everyone uses, and go back to wooden clubs. Tennis should go back to the smaller rackets that McEnroe played with. Hybrids, Chippers and improvements are all part of mankind attempting to improve the sport so that everyone will have to "up" their game even more. Anyone who resents the chipper is jealous that it's helping people who didn't have it the hard way. Get over it ! Im sure when Titleist, Callaway, Ping or whoever comes out with a killer new Driver that will add 10 yards to anyones drives, you'll be the first to buy it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Misterdoggy said:

Hello, Im a newbie here but would like to chime in on the subject of Chippers. Anyone that is a "purist" thinking that it's a "crutch" is neglecting to accept improvements in technology. In other words why accept the oversize drivers that everyone uses, and go back to wooden clubs. Tennis should go back to the smaller rackets that McEnroe played with. Hybrids, Chippers and improvements are all part of mankind attempting to improve the sport so that everyone will have to "up" their game even more. Anyone who resents the chipper is jealous that it's helping people who didn't have it the hard way. Get over it ! Im sure when Titleist, Callaway, Ping or whoever comes out with a killer new Driver that will add 10 yards to anyones drives, you'll be the first to buy it.

All though I agree with some of your comparisons one of the problem people have with chipping is that they are playing the wrong club, too much loft.

They then have success with a chipper because of the less loft.

It's not that "purists" are against chippers, it's that you already have that club in your bag.

31 minutes ago, kiwigolf72 said:

All though I agree with some of your comparisons one of the problem people have with chipping is that they are playing the wrong club, too much loft.

They then have success with a chipper because of the less loft.

It's not that "purists" are against chippers, it's that you already have that club in your bag.

Right I agree with you as I use my 7 iron which has the same 37 degrees as the x-act. I look it as, a putter has a narrow use, and the chipper has about as narrow a use as a 60 degree wedge. Limited circumstances club. But if its a legal club, then no one should judge its use. When the large driver Big Bertha came out it changed drivers. The game is in constant evolution and the result will  be better playing by everyone. Same clubs are available to everyone. There will always be improvements as the manufacturers want to sell us clubs. Titanium who knows what’s next, gotta go with the flow

6 minutes ago, Misterdoggy said:

Right I agree with you as I use my 7 iron which has the same 37 degrees as the x-act. I look it as, a putter has a narrow use, and the chipper has about as narrow a use as a 60 degree wedge. Limited circumstances club. But if its a legal club, then no one should judge its use. When the large driver Big Bertha came out it changed drivers. The game is in constant evolution and the result will  be better playing by everyone. Same clubs are available to everyone. There will always be improvements as the manufacturers want to sell us clubs. Titanium who knows what’s next, gotta go with the flow

no judgement from me

I mean I've seen my dad use his chipper to be wildly better chipper than he could have done with a 7-9.  Just depends if you actually have the spot in your bag to fill with it or not.  My dad uses a driver 3/5/7 woods and a 6i, so he's got plenty of space in his bag to use it, if you're taking out a useful club in your bag I'd think chipping would need to be a very detrimental part of your game to justify having a specific club for this use.  

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

It’s funny as I got down to a +1.7 handicap this summer but still carry a niblick chipper. Battled yips for a stretch years ago and I lean on it when I am nervous in matches or tournaments.

Always funny when guys see it though haha.

regarding wasting a spot in my bag though that was always hilarious to me. I logged all of my clubs and shots for an entire month and used my 3w for three shots in a month and my four iron six times in four weeks of playing.

I had gaps in my bag I didn’t even realize until I charted it all. I used my hybrid over my 3w off the tee and my four iron if I could attack the odd par five in two. It was easy to remove one when my chipper would come out a few times a round. 

Edited by Mcgeeno