2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Farmers Insurance Open 2021

MattyO1984

3 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

I was flipping between a hockey game and some early coverage.  Is it just me or is Sam Ryder really slow?  I don't know if they were waiting on a group to clear, but it sure seemed to be a long time to even grab a club, and then a long time to actually swing it. 

He is really slow!

4 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

Announcers and commentators blindly agreeing with officials is not how it should work. 

Blindly?  You serious right now?  Video. Commentary. Rules officials inputs.  Unless, we just can’t be happy with that any more and need to take the oath in court or start saying that rules officials are part of the conspiracy theory too. 24 hours later, video, interviews, etc...and you still moving the goal posts?

Edited by Golfrnut
  • Like 1

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

3 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Nantz hasn’t done anything with his life? He’s doing the play-by-play for the Super Bowl, the NCAA Tournament, and the Masters in a 9 week stretch. He might be considered the greatest sports announcer in history when he finally retires. 

Unless you have played the game and won something then you are just a color man.  Maybe he will get in the announcers hall of fame.   Give me Miller, Roger Maltby and actual players.   Nantz supposedly got his gig because the family knew someone.

• Like 1

People having a hard time squaring Reed's universal reputation as a cheat with the fact that his inelegant handling of this particular case may not have been cheating. That said, I really don't believe that he believed the ball had embedded, but what do I know?

TM 2016 M2, Graphite Design Tour AD DI

Callaway Rogue 3w, 15º, Fujikura Motore Speeder

Yonex EZone XPG 3h, 18.25º, Fujikura Motore Speeder

Srixon U65 4di, 23º, Aerotech Steelfibre i95

Mizuno MP-59, 5i-PW, Nippon NS PRO 950GH WF

Cleveland RTX Zipcore, 50º,54º,58º, Nippon NS PRO 950GH WF 

Ping B60 Scottsdale TR, Nippon NS PRO Putter

Volvik S4

Just now, Golfrnut said:

Blindly?  You serious right now?  Video. Commentary. Rules officials inputs.  Unless, we just can’t be happy with that any more and need to take the oath in course or start saying that rules officials are part of the conspiracy theory too. 24 hours later, video, interviews, etc...and you still moving the goal posts?

I think you missed the point of what I was saying. Announcers are paid to bring their personal opinion and insights to broadcast. Simply saying the officials ruling should be 'good enough' for the announcers is not how it should work. If the pitch was a strike and the call was a ball, I want the announcers to talk about that and not just accept the call. 

In this case the announcers had access to different information than the official I think it is very much appropriate for them to provide some analysis and for former players to share their opinions.

1 minute ago, 2bGood said:

I think you missed the point of what I was saying. Announcers are paid to bring their personal opinion and insights to broadcast. Simply saying the officials ruling should be 'good enough' for the announcers is not how it should work. If the pitch was a strike and the call was a ball, I want the announcers to talk about that and not just accept the call. 

In this case the announcers had access to different information than the official I think it is very much appropriate for them to provide some analysis and for former players to share their opinions.

Again, ball and strikes are judgement calls. 

And they didn’t have any additional information this morning that the rules official was talking about. He said he was fine in how he proceeded. If they don’t like that, they should be taking issue with the rule. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2bGood said:

one thing IMO to give your like/dislike for the rule...another to basically call out a player’s integrity even after a ruling is made.  ‘Not a fan of the rule’ is much different from outright saying that a player is wrong for touching a ball when the rules allow him to do just that. You just called someone a cheater that followed the rule book because of personal vendettas. That’s not commentating...

• Like 3

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)

Spider Tour X3

9 minutes ago, FakeClubPro said:

Unless you have played the game and won something then you are just a color man.  Maybe he will get in the announcers hall of fame.   Give me Miller, Roger Maltby and actual players.   Nantz supposedly got his gig because the family knew someone.

The best play-by-play commentators have not been great professionals in their sport or even great at them. That’s reserved for color commentators. Nantz is not a color commentator.

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Faldo had three different moves in that situation. A stab, a scything motion, and having an affair.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

TM 2016 M2, Graphite Design Tour AD DI

Callaway Rogue 3w, 15º, Fujikura Motore Speeder

Yonex EZone XPG 3h, 18.25º, Fujikura Motore Speeder

Srixon U65 4di, 23º, Aerotech Steelfibre i95

Mizuno MP-59, 5i-PW, Nippon NS PRO 950GH WF

Cleveland RTX Zipcore, 50º,54º,58º, Nippon NS PRO 950GH WF 

Ping B60 Scottsdale TR, Nippon NS PRO Putter

Volvik S4

1 minute ago, irvnasty said:

Faldo had three different moves in that situation. A stab, a scything motion, and having an affair.

ok that was funny!

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

14 minutes ago, irvnasty said:

People having a hard time squaring Reed's universal reputation as a cheat with the fact that his inelegant handling of this particular case may not have been cheating. That said, I really don't believe that he believed the ball had embedded, but what do I know?

I think he’s proven himself through calling all the sports biggest games. 

16 minutes ago, Golfrnut said:

one thing IMO to give your like/dislike for the rule...another to basically call out a player’s integrity even after a ruling is made.  ‘Not a fan of the rule’ is much different from outright saying that a player is wrong for touching a ball when the rules allow him to do just that. You just called someone a cheater that followed the rule book because of personal vendettas. That’s not commentating...

I actually wish there was more of it. The commentators are supposed to try to get us inside the ropes and show us the games as only those playing it and the insiders know it. Most often they fall well short of it. 

Off the record the pro's have lots of stories of who are well known cheats - I wish they would go on the record more often. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OgeecheeMac1 said:

Now all the announcers and commentators are blaming tournament officials for stating Reed was in the right. Their action calls into question the viability of the game. Rules officials word should be final, or it descends into chaos and second-guessing.

Yes, but they are saying that in embedded ball cases, officials should be brought in to make a ruling and the ball should not be touched before that. Then, officials can make the correct ruling. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Between all of the posts in the last couple days, good and bad takes (myself included), opinions, facts, commentators, video, etc etc. and even today’s broadcast, I am really still very surprised how far apart some of us are on a lot of the things that have happened. It’s almost like we’re in two different worlds.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, 2bGood said:

I actually wish there was more of it. The commentators are supposed to try to get us inside the ropes and show us the games as only those playing it and the insiders know it. Most often the fall well short of it. 

Off the record the pro's have lots of stories of who are well known cheats - I wish they would go on the record more often. 

I’m sure they do too, but only of one player.  One was given a pass for taking one less step and the other is being chastised for doing more. Teo minutes of griping about how one player handled it, 15 seconds of another...and probably only because they had to show it because the footage is known to be out there.  Again, not reporting, just bias to try and fit an agenda that they wanna fulfill to validate themselves. 

Spider Tour X3

4 minutes ago, OgeecheeMac1 said:

Now all the announcers and commentators are blaming tournament officials for stating Reed was in the right. Their action calls into question the viability of the game. Rules officials word should be final, or it descends into chaos and second-guessing.

I think you are being a bit dramatic. Announcers saying an official blew a call is pretty common in sports and does not call into to question ability of the sport to keep existing. 

The officials can't actually say if Reed was 'in the right'. The rules rely on Reed to act with integrity and that is something the officials assume in this case, but can not verify. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Yes, but they are saying that in embedded ball cases, officials should be brought in to make a ruling and the ball should not be touched before that. Then, officials can make the correct ruling. 

That’s not at all what they are saying. There has been no foot-stomping about the rule. If that was the case, both incidents for both players would be being treated equally. That’s far from the case.  If what you are saying is true, they would be all over Rory for never calling in anyone. Crickets...

Edited by Golfrnut

Spider Tour X3

1 minute ago, t4t3r said:

Between all of the posts in the last couple days, good and bad takes (myself included), opinions, facts, commentators, video, etc etc. and even today’s broadcast, I am really still very surprised how far apart some of us are on a lot of the things that have happened. It’s almost like we’re in two different worlds.

It’s sure been fun though hasn’t it? Seems like we needed something like this to give the forums a spark. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 80sFredriksson said:

New rule suggestion you cant put a club behind the ball in the rough and do the tap tap dance then change club, once its behind the ball you cant change

You’ll have to take all of Seve and players majors then. They invented that move. 

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

5 minutes ago, t4t3r said:

I disagree 😉.

Okay I do  actually disagree a bit, I think on these forum allot of nuance of the discussion gets lost and points of view are simplified. With all the nuance there is more agreement than it appears. 

Did the official(s) make the right call - yes. Do I think PR broke the rules - yes.  Do I really care - no. Just shooting the breeze while watching golf.

• Like 4