Club Conex - What’s going on?

kjbuckeye

Been trying to purchase club conex components. I couldn’t order from their website. I have emailed them, called them, left a voicemail, and even reached out to True Spec (their owner) to see what was up. True spec said someone would get back to me. No luck. 

Has anyone had any contact with Club Conex lately? 

Thanks. 

WITB:

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5*, NS Setting, Accra TZ6 55 M4 @ 45.5"

5 Wood: Maltby KE4 TC, 19*, ProjectX HZRDUS Yellow 60 6.0 @  42"

7 Wood: Maltby KE4 TC Hyway 21*, Aldila RIP beta, 70S, @  42" 

Irons: Maltby TS1 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105S, 7i 37"

Wedges: GW - TBD, SW - Maltby TSW Forged 54.10 bent 56.12, DG S300

Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 4 - 33"

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4 STD

Arccos accross the board.

Instagram: @buckeyegolf

True Spec purchased them a couple of years ago.  I was able to get through and speak with Anthony a couple weeks ago as I was having the same issue with the website not allowing you to checkout.  He informed me that they had disabled their website while their legal team finalized the details on a new business model which would "allow them to serve the customer better" and that details would be sent out shortly.  A few days later I received an email with the details of their new business model.  In order to purchase their components go forward, you must become a Club Conex member which requires a $300 per month contractual commitment for a minimum of 24 months.  That is for your first facility, if you have multiple facilities then you pay an additional $100 per month per facility for the same 24 month term.  This just gets you the privilege of being allowed to purchase their product.  The product pricing itself appears to be pretty much in line with what they have offered in the past.  I know they have struggled with Chinese knockoffs of their adaptors, but I don't see how this does anything to help them on that front.  Requiring a club builder to pay you $3600 a year just to be able to purchase your product is going to do nothing but drive customers to their competitors.  Wish I had better news as I have been a loyal customer since the company was founded, but I will be forced to switch to a competing product in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

A terrible company who is lucky to have a patent.

Cant wait till it runs out and the market is flooded with options and they go bankrupt.

This isn’t the first time their shady practices have been under discussion like this.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

4 hours ago, ThreePuttForePar said:

True Spec purchased them a couple of years ago.  I was able to get through and speak with Anthony a couple weeks ago as I was having the same issue with the website not allowing you to checkout.  He informed me that they had disabled their website while their legal team finalized the details on a new business model which would "allow them to serve the customer better" and that details would be sent out shortly.  A few days later I received an email with the details of their new business model.  In order to purchase their components go forward, you must become a Club Conex member which requires a $300 per month contractual commitment for a minimum of 24 months.  That is for your first facility, if you have multiple facilities then you pay an additional $100 per month per facility for the same 24 month term.  This just gets you the privilege of being allowed to purchase their product.  The product pricing itself appears to be pretty much in line with what they have offered in the past.  I know they have struggled with Chinese knockoffs of their adaptors, but I don't see how this does anything to help them on that front.  Requiring a club builder to pay you $3600 a year just to be able to purchase your product is going to do nothing but drive customers to their competitors.  Wish I had better news as I have been a loyal customer since the company was founded, but I will be forced to switch to a competing product in the near future.

A couple other folks have told me that same thing since I posted this initially. That is the worst business practice ever. 

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5*, NS Setting, Accra TZ6 55 M4 @ 45.5"

5 Wood: Maltby KE4 TC, 19*, ProjectX HZRDUS Yellow 60 6.0 @  42"

7 Wood: Maltby KE4 TC Hyway 21*, Aldila RIP beta, 70S, @  42" 

Irons: Maltby TS1 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105S, 7i 37"

Wedges: GW - TBD, SW - Maltby TSW Forged 54.10 bent 56.12, DG S300

Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 4 - 33"

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4 STD

Arccos accross the board.

Instagram: @buckeyegolf

5 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Cant wait till it runs out and the market is flooded with options and they go bankrupt.

This isn’t the first time their shady practices have been under discussion like this.

Do the chinese care about patents?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Unless it's a government held patent, it's easily beatable. Esp w a component like the CC; I could go in CAD and alter a little here, a little there and have basically the same product. It's just having someone who wants to go down that road. 

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

I spoke with Anthony about 3 weeks ago, just happen that he picked up the call that day. That was in mid to late January. In that conversation, the guy that handled the sales just walked away from that position. As well, Anthony said his company was effected by COVID, one of his staff caught it so they had to shut down. As well, they did some audits of the fitters and found they had issues with counterfeits. He said CC was talking with their lawyers to draft an agreement for the fitters but I said to him, I am not a fitter, I am just a consumer that loved his product and now that it was USGA legal for tournament, it seemed like a great product that I can use in my backup driver heads that I liked to play. He acknowledged that in the conversation since, I think his mindset was that this CC was all fitters... Anthony seem to be happy that his adapter is now USGA legal for tournament and he played in one.

It was a decent and open conversation.

I didn't hear anymore further but I was still anxious to get some Uni-Fit sleeves for my incoming Max LS.

And just  like @ThreePuttForePar mentioned, I received an email from Club Conex with that $300 per month agreement. $100 per additional facility. This was not going to fly with me, I am not a fitter, just a regular WRXers like each of you here in this thread that likes to tinker and play golf.

I emailed back to Anthony about his agreement saying this won't work for consumers. I am not a business, can't afford a $300 a month, hell, I don't even spend that much on green fees a month. I have yet to hear back from him...

Unfortunately, I have 3 of my costly shafts with his tip. With a sleeve for 2 different heads, I think I can survive and if these sleeves or adapters go, I am done with Club Conex. Before this CRAZINESS on their part, it was simple to order and I really liked the concept and product - it's such a pity Club Conex has decided to turn this way.

Edited by SwingBlues

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

See if True Spec will sell you the sleeves. I have access to the adapters that go on the shafts but no extra vendor sleeves.

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

56 minutes ago, davo32683 said:

Well, this brings up the question. What are the other alternatives out there? This obviously won't work for a guy that doesn't own a shop, just has a severe shaft addiction 🙋‍♂️

I haven't looked into it too deeply, but I noticed Billy Bob's golf looks like they have a fitting system now.

https://store.billybobsgolf.com/product-category/cmx-club-fitting-system/

https://store.billybobsgolf.com/product-category/cmx-reg-universal-oem-fitting-system/

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

I haven't looked into it too deeply, but I noticed Billy Bob's golf looks like they have a fitting system now.

https://store.billybobsgolf.com/product-category/cmx-reg-universal-oem-fitting-system/

That setup looks pretty legit.  I'm actually intrigued that they have a counterweight system offered also.  Would be good to see those stackable to add multiple weight together, but it's cool to see people coming up with some useful new stuff like that.

• Like 1

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

3 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

It looks like they have the main OEM (titlesit, TM, Cobra) but Ping was missing so I just reached out to Billy Bobs - their response was that the website does not show the Ping adapter, its missing but they have that available. Also, the other tidbit is that they are looking into carrying another system and will announce it soon...

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 1

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

UPDATE on the CMX system. First, thank you to Billy Bob's for the great information on the CMX system. They were so prompt in their reply.

Straight up - this system, you need weights at the end of the grip to counter balance the weight of the CMX adapter system. CMX is really 2 parts - it's an adapter that fits into the head and then there is a "screw in ferrule" for the adapter. This screw in part is where your shaft will be inserted into. As such, it appears to be weighty compared to OEMs and therefore, you will need to counter balance this with weight at the end of the shaft. How much is dependent on the length of the shaft but here is a screen shot from Billy Bob's info...

image.png.dbbb6143992ee497fe7abe1587227daf.png

So if you need a Ping, you need some "weight" at the end of your shaft.

Billy Bob's has amazing customer service for sure 👍

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ThreePuttForePar said:

I second/confirm this. Its a real d*ck in the Word not allowed for anyone, even for rather large custom fitting facilities. They have 100% cut out any retail consumer who wants a few adapter and a few COGs.  

We had a really big order we tried to place for 2 months starting in December and the per-unit price tripled on us overnight because of this new agreement.

There is a 'movement' if you will of written pushback that is being compiled at the moment as a last ditch effort.  

This is pure speculation.... but I have a feeling that True Spec Golf doesn't want people to buy these adapters. In their dream situation, they would win their legal case against Club Champion (this is public information https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/14286685/true-spec-golf-llc-v-club-champion-llc/ , thanks Freedom of Information Act), put them out of business, and be the only place that can offer fittings with universal adapter. Like I said, I have no facts to specifically support this, just a guess. 

I'll try to keep you guys posted on the situation. 

If anyone wants to talk about it more, DM me.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

UPDATE on the CMX system. First, thank you to Billy Bob's for the great information on the CMX system. They were so prompt in their reply.

Straight up - this system, you need weights at the end of the grip to counter balance the weight of the CMX adapter system. CMX is really 2 parts - it's an adapter that fits into the head and then there is a "screw in ferrule" for the adapter. This screw in part is where your shaft will be inserted into. As such, it appears to be weighty compared to OEMs and therefore, you will need to counter balance this with weight at the end of the shaft. How much is dependent on the length of the shaft but here is a screen shot from Billy Bob's info...

image.png.dbbb6143992ee497fe7abe1587227daf.png

So if you need a Ping, you need some "weight" at the end of your shaft.

Billy Bob's has amazing customer service for sure 👍

Check out switch grips, they have grips with a place to change out counter weights without having to regrip like you would with tour lock pro. Also Billy bobs counter weight system doesn't look as secure. It's funny club champion doesn't counter weight from what I've read but they fit you with a heavy swing weight because of the adapters and then to get that heavy swing weight without the adapter you need them or someone else to build it heavy.

I believe TXG has said they take into consideration the adapter weight and build all of their fitting heads so that it is still a normal swing weight.

Someone also approached TXG and said his engineering students wanted to design a better universal fitting adapter for them. Ian said yes but I don't think they have them yet.

Edited by enfuego
  • Like 1

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

Yeah, it comes up a lot here, I don’t think there are too many that advocate the counterweighting as a viable option. Yeah, the balance will change, but the heft/Moi is still there. Change weights, shave wrights, drill weights, whatever it takes to compensate for the head weight in other ways IMO. The good thing is, most heads these days have some sort weight option to allow you to alter them in some way. 

• Like 1

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

12 minutes ago, Hack Daddy said:

Billy Bob's is a stand up organization. 

But the CMX line is absolute garbage. 

Can you be a bit more specific?   I'd have to disagree based on my experience but willing to be open minded.  I've used tons of CMX adapters (TM, Ping, and Callaway) and the quality has always been equal to or even better than the OEM adapters.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Golfrnut said:

Yeah, it comes up a lot here, I don’t think there are too many that advocate the counterweighting as a viable option. Yeah, the balance will change, but the heft/Moi is still there. Change weights, shave wrights, drill weights, whatever it takes to compensate for the head weight in other ways IMO. The good thing is, most heads these days have some sort weight option to allow you to alter them in some way. 

^^^^ This.  Counterbalancing is not the way to compensate for a heavy fitting system.  The only proper way is to reduce the head weight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2021 at 7:36 PM, Stuart_G said:

Can you be a bit more specific?   I'd have to disagree based on my experience but willing to be open minded.  I've used tons of CMX adapters (TM, Ping, and Callaway) and the quality has always been equal to or even better than the OEM adapters.

I used the CMX fitting system for a while when it came out around 6 years ago. Ran into the issue with lefties right away. Not willing to invest in 2 of every shaft to be able to fit RH and LH.

Edited by trhode

1 hour ago, trhode said:

I used the CMX fitting system for a while when it came out around 6 years ago. Ran into the issue with lefties right away. Not willing to invest in 2 of every shaft to be able to fit RH and LH. All-Fit is the way to go! 

Which system are you using these days?

Nothing is safe in my bag!

Man, I am going to be so bummed if I can't get anymore Uni-Fit stuff. I have gone kinda all in on that system and from the looks of the Billy Bob's CMX design, I don't want to mess with headweights and counter weights with all the procut I am swapping on the range. 

• Like 1

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

2 hours ago, knudson81 said:

Man, I am going to be so bummed if I can't get anymore Uni-Fit stuff. I have gone kinda all in on that system and from the looks of the Billy Bob's CMX design, I don't want to mess with headweights and counter weights with all the procut I am swapping on the range. 

Dude - you're the one that inspired me to switch to Uni-Fit with that FANTASTIC YouTube video you did... the exact length and no CB was one really nice aspect of Uni-Fit

I'm going to email Anthony and see if he'd like to have some input into this discussion.

37 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

Dude - you're the one that inspired me to switch to Uni-Fit with that FANTASTIC YouTube video you did... the exact length and no CB was one really nice aspect of Uni-Fit

I'm going to email Anthony and see if he'd like to have some input into this discussion.

Now I feel pretty bad about the recommendation! DIdn't know they were going this route.

• Like 1

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

On 2/23/2021 at 8:02 AM, knudson81 said:

Now I feel pretty bad about the recommendation! DIdn't know they were going this route.

Don't feel bad, we can't predict the future and Uni-Fit was around for years (I believe) and honestly, I didn't think I would go this route until I had to 2 Blue Velocores sitting in my garage and it was time to streamline things with my shafts/heads. I don't think anyone knew except Club Conex (Anthony). I was able to purchase all the parts in December and then the gate shut in January.

Hopefully Anthony comes and gives some input. I think I will reach out to parent company True Spec as well as some have done here.

Edited by SwingBlues

10 minutes ago, knudson81 said:

Ah, you found the thread then. This is such bad practice from a business point of view. If they had marketed their system differently they could have had so much more consumer engagement rather than just focusing on fitters. I know so many golfers who love to tinker and had no idea of this system and now its pretty much off limits as they are pricing everyone out.