Anyone tested ‘21 V1X or TP5X vs Tour BX?

hammergolf

On 3/15/2021 at 8:06 PM, G-Bone said:

I played BX last season and will this season as well.

I have tested BX against 21 V1x through several on course rounds as well as Trackman. The happy news for me is Trackman confirmed everything I experienced on the golf course.

My results/opinions:

• BX has a softer feel through the bag for me.
  • BX handled wind better through the bag for me.
  • BX is longer and faster as well as a little straighter with driver. 
  • Fairway woods and long irons both balls performed similarly with distance and spin.
  • Mid irons BX was slightly longer, and V1x had slightly more spin.
  • Short irons and wedges BX was about a half club longer, and V1x has a fair amount more spin, which is negative for my game.
  • Greenside and bunkers, for me, are where BX shines the most... I find it has more bite and control than V1x and, for that matter, more than any tour ball on the market (excluding Tour BXS).

I have not tested the 21 TP5x, yet. 

Maybe you can help me understand more on the Pro V1, I just absolutely struggle with that ball. Some just take off, some fall out of the sky, spin is all over the place. I also think it's a good 10 yards shorter than the BX. Around the greens the ProV is really solid, but I'm not exactly sure what's coming out of the barrel on the long stuff. Fully admit I'm a unicorn here with 80%+ of the Tour using it, clearly user error.

I did play the BX all last year and completely agree with your comments, it is a fantastic ball, I've ordered some to get me through spring but patiently waiting for the 4-for-3 deal to come out again. 

On 3/29/2021 at 9:17 AM, gators78 said:

Maybe you can help me understand more on the Pro V1, I just absolutely struggle with that ball. Some just take off, some fall out of the sky, spin is all over the place. I also think it's a good 10 yards shorter than the BX. Around the greens the ProV is really solid, but I'm not exactly sure what's coming out of the barrel on the long stuff. Fully admit I'm a unicorn here with 80%+ of the Tour using it, clearly user error.

I did play the BX all last year and completely agree with your comments, it is a fantastic ball, I've ordered some to get me through spring but patiently waiting for the 4-for-3 deal to come out again. 

Yikes... I have not experienced that.

V1 can be a low spin ball and if you get a little flyer lie I would imagine anything is possible. 

• Like 2

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

On 3/29/2021 at 8:17 AM, gators78 said:

It’s funny you say that. I have always struggled with Pro V1. Same thing it would just fall out of the sky. It’s just flat out shorter off every club for me. Don’t know why, but I’ve tried in many times. The ball just doesn’t work for me either. And it’s not to bash on Titleist, I was a long time V1X player until they made it rock hard. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

3 hours ago, Kyle M said:

I need to make a decision soon and with our weather just have not had a chance to do a good test.  I played V1's for the last couple years since "the swap".  Anyone know how the 21V1 rates between the 21 BX and the 21 V1X?  G-Bone, any thoughts on this as you seem to have thorough analysis.  Thanks!

Hey Kyle,

For me, I find BX to be virtually the perfect blend between V1 and V1x.

- BX is firmer than V and softer than X.

- BX is longer off the tee than both.

- Woods, long and mid irons I find all three balls about equal. 

- Short irons and wedges BX spins more than V and less than X... of course, just the right amount for me lol.

- Greenside BX bites harder than both V and X by a significant margin.

I hope this helps some.  Feel free to fire any questions at me you might have.

On a side note - I will be posting my results soon comparing BX with 21 TP5x.

Edited by G-Bone
  • Like 4

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

11 minutes ago, G-Bone said:

Hey Kyle,

- Short irons and wedges BX spins more than V and less than X... of course, just the right amount for me lol.

On a side note - I will be posted my results soon, comparing BX with 21 TP5x.

Looking forward to the BX and 21 TP5x

I've been playing the V1x for years, but lately I find I'm spinning it way too much on my wedge and short iron approach shots into greens. To the point where I'm spinning 8 and 9 irons off of the front of par 3 greens. Distance has never been a concern for me, it's all about the spin. 

I bought a dozen BX's and I plan to test out them out this weekend and see how they do. Based on what I've heard / read so far I think it might be the best ball for me.

• Like 2

I hesitate to say this because it's based on literally fewer than 100 full-swing shots spread out over several rounds of golf in various weather conditions. But I *think* the 2021 Pro V1x may actually spin a little more than the 2019 Pro V1x on full wedge and short iron shots. 

Honestly, I'll never know. I liked the 2021 Pro V1 much better than the 2021 Pro V1x so I'm sticking with the one that worked best for me. I do have a lot of experience with earlier Pro V1x versions and they've always been a high-spin ball to me.  But from that little try-out with the 2021 version it almost reminded me of a B XS that makes even my puny swing suck the ball backwards after it lands. Too beaucoup!

2 hours ago, G-Bone said:

Hey Kyle,

On a side note - I will be posting my results soon comparing BX with 21 TP5x.

That sounds like one heck of a ball.  Interesting that on short irons and wedges it spins between the V1 and V1x but then greenside bites harder.  Must be something about that cover.  Thanks for the feedback.  EDIT --- what about trajectory of each?  is it between the V1 and V1x?

Edited by Kyle M

14 minutes ago, Kyle M said:

That sounds like one heck of a ball.  Interesting that on short irons and wedges it spins between the V1 and V1x but then greenside bites harder.  Must be something about that cover.  Thanks for the feedback.  EDIT --- what about trajectory of each?  is it between the V1 and V1x?

I would agree, it seems Bridgestone has figured something out with their new cover.

You guessed right, sir... I find BX to launch between V and X.  But I would consider it closer to V than X, so lower than higher. 

• Like 4

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

I think Bridgestone is on to something with their reactive cover. I’ve never played a ball as long with the long clubs, but that spins as much on the shorter shots. For me, the new Tour B X is the unicorn of golf balls. And btw, I’m not a high club head speed guy. I’m low 90’s with the driver.

I agree with you an G Bone. Unicorn. I am going to start trying to lose my 21 V1 as fast as I can so I can pick up the B X again. Forgive me for going away from it for a dozen 21 V1. B X is such a better ball for me. 

• Haha 2

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Well I took a sleeve of BXs out this weekend to test against the V1x I'd been playing for years. I'm happy to say that overall I was really pleased with the decreased spin on my low irons and wedges (this was the outcome I was hoping for). I didn't notice too much of a change in distance (the BX might have been 5 yards longer with the driver) or with greenside spin which was about the same with the BX as V1x. The BX will be my ball of choice for this year so I'm happy I made the switch. 

However, there was an area that the BX really let me down in. Durability... I went through a sleeve of balls in 18 holes and never lost one. I had to replace one on the 4th hole after a routine greenside bunker shot shredded the cover and another replacement on the 11th hole after a 105 yard wedge shot scuffed the cover pretty bad. I'll be sticking with the BX for the foreseeable future, but only getting a few holes in before having to demote a ball to my shag bag was disappointing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Abh159 said:

Well I took a sleeve of BXs out this weekend to test against the V1x I'd been playing for years. I'm happy to say that overall I was really pleased with the decreased spin on my low irons and wedges (this was the outcome I was hoping for). I didn't notice too much of a change in distance (the BX might have been 5 yards longer with the driver) or with greenside spin which was about the same with the BX as V1x. The BX will be my ball of choice for this year so I'm happy I made the switch. 

However, there was an area that the BX really let me down in. Durability... I went through a sleeve of balls in 18 holes and never lost one. I had to replace one on the 4th hole after a routine greenside bunker shot shredded the cover and another replacement on the 11th hole after a 105 yard wedge shot scuffed the cover pretty bad. I'll be sticking with the BX for the foreseeable future, but only getting a few holes in before having to demote a ball to my shag bag was disappointing. 

Happy to hear you like the BX!

I would agree it's not the most durable tour ball on the market.  I generally get a full 18 out of one ball... bummer it's not the same for you.

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

46 minutes ago, G-Bone said:

Happy to hear you like the BX!

I would agree it's not the most durable tour ball on the market.  I generally get a full 18 out of one ball... bummer it's not the same for you.

No worries. It's not bad enough to keep me from playing it so that's all that really matters. The strangest part was that I landed my drive on the cartpath on #18 and that did minimal damage compared to the damage caused by the wedge and bunker shots. I probably could have kept playing that ball if it hadn't happened on the last hole of the round. Strange to say the least...

Thanks for all the insight into these balls though! Without your feedback I might not have made the move to test out the BX and I'd still be stuck spinning my V1x's off the greens.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

No worries. It's not bad enough to keep me from playing it so that's all that really matters. The strangest part was that I landed my drive on the cartpath on #18 and that did minimal damage compared to the damage caused by the wedge and bunker shots. I probably could have kept playing that ball if it hadn't happened on the last hole of the round. Strange to say the least...

Thanks for all the insight into these balls though! Without your feedback I might not have made the move to test out the BX and I'd still be stuck spinning my V1x's off the greens.

Truly my pleasure... as you can tell I'm bit of a nerd and enjoy all the testing.  Always cool to hear when it actually helps someone out!

• Like 4

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

On 4/2/2021 at 12:05 PM, Abh159 said:

I've been playing the V1x for years, but lately I find I'm spinning it way too much on my wedge and short iron approach shots into greens. To the point where I'm spinning 8 and 9 irons off of the front of par 3 greens. Distance has never been a concern for me, it's all about the spin. 

I bought a dozen BX's and I plan to test out them out this weekend and see how they do. Based on what I've heard / read so far I think it might be the best ball for me.

You do know they flipped them so the pro v1 is now the low spin ball and the X is the high spin?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, G-Bone said:

Truly my pleasure... as you can tell I'm bit of a nerd and enjoy all the testing.  Always cool to hear when it actually helps someone out!

I'm the same way. I've been testing the 2019 Pro V1x, 2021 Pro V1x, 2021 Pro V1, BX, and the ProV1x LD. All my testing has been done on a launch monitor in the wind (between 20-30 mph consistently). The beauty of the midwest is even though it's nice outside, you have to deal with gale force winds. Will post my findings soon. Going to test wedges today from 100 yards and 50 yards. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jc0 said:

You do know they flipped them so the pro v1 is now the low spin ball and the X is the high spin?

Yes I'm aware. Knew about it when it happened several years back. I didn't even mention that in my original post because I've tried the regular Pro V and have just never been a fan. 

I could still see the V1x being an option for me if I'm playing somewhere with really firm/hard greens, but since I pay 95% of my rounds at my club where I'm a member I needed something that was better for those greens (soft - medium firmness). 

Here is my test. Don't know what to make of it. I'm a high ball hitter so the shots that were hit higher obviously didn't do so well into the wind. I hit both into the wind and downwind (more sidewind out of the left than down) with a 7 iron. It was gusty so I'm not too concerned with carry distance as it would dependent on the gust. Overall wind was anywhere from 15 mph to 35 mph. This was done over 3 days. Also hit a 100 yard shot with a SW and a 50 yard shot with a LW. 

I think for me, it looks like the ProV1 has the best mix of everything. Left dash did really well everywhere except around the green. I felt like I couldn't spin it at all. I like as much spin as I can get around the green as it's better to have it than not. 

image.png.5790bec1183f6280d47dbda21600434f.png

Edited by CardsChamps11
  • Thanks 4

I got my 4 for 3 BX balls this weekend and actually played tonight. I never played this ball, but based on the reviews I just ordered them. I’ve played the Srixon XV for the past few years, but was not very impressed with that ball.

I have a pretty steep swing into the ball, so I produce a lot of spin. My irons are set up with Z585’s that have strong lofts with Nippon 980GH shafts that launch high, but the strong lofts help with the high spin. I typically don’t have any roll out with any iron into a green.

The greens today we’re playing a little firmer than usual. The BX is definitely firmer than the XV. My first putt went by 6 ft, but I started to adjust to the ball. Once I got the feel of the ball the putts were more consistent.

I would say that the BX off the driver is definitely one of the longer balls I’ve played. I hit some tee shots that were long for me today. Even my playing partner noticed the added gain. I’m not sure if it was my swing today, but the BX doesn’t move much. I play a cut/fade but the BX doesn’t move much, it just holds the line. I had to adjust and shut my stance down to keep it from going to the right (left handed).

After the first two holes I thought I made a mistake with this ball, but as the round went on I adjusted to the ball I think it’s a great fit for me and my game. The back nine was really good from tee to green and I’m glad with the BX.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CardsChamps11 said:

Here is my test. Don't know what to make of it. I'm a high ball hitter so the shots that were hit higher obviously didn't do so well into the wind. I hit both into the wind and downwind (more sidewind out of the left than down) with a 7 iron. It was gusty so I'm not too concerned with carry distance as it would dependent on the gust. Overall wind was anywhere from 15 mph to 35 mph. This was done over 3 days. Also hit a 100 yard shot with a SW and a 50 yard shot with a LW. 

I think for me, it looks like the ProV1 has the best mix of everything. Left dash did really well everywhere except around the green. I felt like I couldn't spin it at all. I like as much spin as I can get around the green as it's better to have it than not. 

image.png.5790bec1183f6280d47dbda21600434f.png

That is an admirably thorough test, thanks for sharing all the details.

I know the gusty wind adds a lot of uncertainty to your decision making process but on balance I think it's still nice to have gathered information on how the balls perform upwind and downwind like that.

The one number I wanted to remark on is the 50-yard shots into wind with 2021 ProV1x. That is one spinny ball around the greens, at least with your wedge game. Wow.

Not sure how much help this will be since I typically preferred the softer versions but I just did a test of pretty much every tour level golf ball. 
Started with Putting, then moved further from the green. I surprisingly didn't like the PROV1X off the putter.
Bridgestone BXS won out for me. The Srixon Z-star an XV both made it to the final round along with both the TP5 and TP5x. 

The TP5 vs TP5x comparison is tough for me because I prefer the TP5 around the greens but much prefer the X on longer shots and off the tee. 
In the end it didn't really matter because the Bridgestone was absolutely perfect for me personally. 

If you love the BX I wouldn't even bother switching. They are a great ball. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Not sure how much help this will be since I typically preferred the softer versions but I just did a test of pretty much every tour level golf ball. 
Started with Putting, then moved further from the green. I surprisingly didn't like the PROV1X off the putter.
Bridgestone BXS won out for me. The Srixon Z-star an XV both made it to the final round along with both the TP5 and TP5x. 

The TP5 vs TP5x comparison is tough for me because I prefer the TP5 around the greens but much prefer the X on longer shots and off the tee. 
In the end it didn't really matter because the Bridgestone was absolutely perfect for me personally. 

If you love the BX I wouldn't even bother switching. They are a great ball. 

Nice write up. Thankyou.

To confirm: these are all 2021 versions ? 

I agree with your thoughts for the TP5 and TP5X: in regard of the prior version(s) I used exclusively.

However I thought the latest 2021 versions of each had ‘morphed’ a lot closer to each other.....?

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Just now, sevenfourate said:

Nice write up. Thankyou.

To confirm: these are all 2021 versions ? 

I agree with your thoughts for the TP5 and TP5X: in regard of the prior version(s) I used exclusively.

However I thought the latest 2021 versions of each had ‘morphed’ a lot closer to each other.....?

They are definitely closer and the TP5x feels a lot better and still made it into the final selection I just prefer the softer feel of the TP5 off the putter and for chip shots. That said for all but one course in my area if you held a gun to a head and made me choose between the two I would go with the X since most of the greens here are pretty soft and the spin difference becomes negligible. 

To further expand on my review while the ZStar and XV had excellent flight and spin characteristics their covers are still the least durable of everything I tested. First full shot out of a fairway bunker and I had a cut on the cover on a ZStar. No such problems on any other ball I tested that made it to that level of testing. (Several balls didn't even make it past the chipping phase including both offerings from Callaway.)

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

They are definitely closer and the TP5x feels a lot better and still made it into the final selection I just prefer the softer feel of the TP5 off the putter and for chip shots. That said for all but one course in my area if you held a gun to a head and made me choose between the two I would go with the X since most of the greens here are pretty soft and the spin difference becomes negligible. 

To further expand on my review while the ZStar and XV had excellent flight and spin characteristics their covers are still the least durable of everything I tested. First full shot out of a fairway bunker and I had a cut on the cover on a ZStar. No such problems on any other ball I tested that made it to that level of testing. (Several balls didn't even make it past the chipping phase including both offerings from Callaway.)

Fantastic information. Thankyou very much indeed.

Im a Yellow ball man these days. And where I am in the U.K.: the Yellow version isn’t available / released until the 15th of this month.

I previously predominantly used the standard TP5 for its short game prowess. The times I did use the X version - it was a bit ‘hot’ from 40 yards in at times. AND the Yellow paint over the top of the cover made visual (durability) very poor.

So hoping some extra spin / softer feel for the short game: and the solid yellow Urethane cover improves the weak areas of this ball for me.

Ive been waiting excitedly for the release of these since the new model was debuted 👌👍

Edited by sevenfourate
Spelling !!

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

I'll just drop this right here for some fun viewing once Masters coverage is over today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdTMkRTwrxs&t=655s

• Thanks 1

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12