2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

GolfWRX 2021 Best Fairway Woods - Discussion Thread

Having the right fairway woods is essential for golfers of all skill levels looking to get the most out of their long games—whether it be approach shots into longer par 4's and par 3's, going after par 5's in two, or just trying to hit more fairways off the tee—finding the best fairway woods of 2021 one to fit your needs is a must.

This is why in 2021 we continue to see more fairway wood options from every manufacturer. What used to be a single model release has been expanded to three—and in some cases even four—models to fit specific player types. These new fairway woods impress us with their ability to utilize new technology and construction methods to go faster, and further, while also offering never-before-seen levels of forgiveness. It's now easier than ever to find the right one that matches your swing.

That being said, ultimately the best way to find the best fairway woods for you is to work with a professional fitter using a launch monitor. The difficult part is a lot of people don’t have easy access to fitters, launch monitors, and club builders—so at GolfWRX, we have done a lot of the work for you.

Read the rest of "2021 best fairway woods" here.

• Sad 1

Absolutely stunned that the Cobra RadSpeed fairways didn't make it into any category. I added the RadSpeed 3 wood to my bag about six weeks go replacing a Sim 3 wood and the changes are amazing. Great off the tee, long and forgiving plus a breeze to hit off the deck. Couldn't find a 3 wood that would work off the tee and off the deck--Cobra solved it for me!

• Like 2

No love for the radspeed? I also upgraded to a radspeed fairway wood and couldn't be more happy with the results. Long, forgiving, easy to hit off the tee & fairway, adjustable, very solid motore stock shaft offering and cheaper than most options. Cobra did a great job this year on the radspeed products. 

Edited by Hershey27
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodie said:

I just wonder: The guys at TXG did a review and praised the Mizuno ST-Z fairway wood as even better than the G425... 

Where is it now? 

After the dust settled and people started looking at the actual specs, the ST-Z was much less appealing even with the glowing TXG praise initially.

It's a pretty large head that sits/looks closed and is draw biased at the end of the day. Not to mention Mizuno wood faces STILL have that coating on them that only takes 6 balls to get scratched up, and their hosel adapter requires a grip readjustment each time you move it around (if you have a grip that isnt one of the velvet/pattern styles).

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / SPDRL-NCK+ CT 120

1 hour ago, third-times-a-charm said:

After the dust settled and people started looking at the actual specs, the ST-Z was much less appealing even with the glowing TXG praise initially.

It's a pretty large head that sits/looks closed and is draw biased at the end of the day. Not to mention Mizuno wood faces STILL have that coating on them that only takes 6 balls to get scratched up, and their hosel adapter requires a grip readjustment each time you move it around (if you have a grip that isnt one of the velvet/pattern styles).

Re: the bolded, yes, it’s a fairly large head, but smaller than the Sim Max and roughly the same size as the TSi2.  Also, the default address position of the ST-Z is 1* open, and even Matt from TXG who plays a draw didn’t have any issues with any draw bias.  So far, all the people I’ve seen comment on the STZ have stars how neutral the head plays.

And as to your last point, the same can be said for Ping, SimTi and Cobra woods but I hardly see anyone complaining about it on them so why single out the Mizuno?

Edited by th6252
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, th6252 said:

Re: the bolded, yes, it’s a fairly large head, but smaller than the Sim Max and roughly the same size as the TSi2.  Also, the default address position of the ST-Z is 1* open, and even Matt from TXG who plays a draw didn’t have any issues with any draw bias.  So far, all the people I’ve seen comment on the STZ have stars how neutral the head plays.

And as to your last point, the same can be said for Ping, SimTi and Cobra woods but I hardly see anyone complaining about it on them so why single out the Mizuno?

Not sure...I dont see why there was any reason it wasnt included in the article.

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / SPDRL-NCK+ CT 120

All the results came from the fitters we interviewed and the survey included every current model fairway wood on the market.  

The reason any one club is either on or not on this list is based solely on what the fitters encounter on a day to day basis while working with golfers based on the two categories.

Any fairway wood on or off this list could be the perfect fit you you based on your swing dynamics, but this list is intended to be a baseline for golfers to start their selection process. 

27 minutes ago, mojomover said:

Feels like a pretty basic survey- essentially the FW's from the top 4 companies (TM, Titleist, Callaway, Ping). 

Exactly...I mean, the ultimate goal of the fitters is to move product and most consumers are going to have a bias towards the big names.  And in all likelihood, most golfers are going to find something that is plenty optimized among those companies so why even bother with more “fringe” brands.

• Like 1

Says a lot about the TSi2 that it gets top 5 in both categories.  They certainly figured something out with the 2 fws recently.  They are so good

Edited by jokerusn
  • Like 1

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

I dunno. I saw a 4mph jump in ball speed from my epic flash SZ to the PXG proto 3wd. 

that’s without tinkering with various settings and shafts. AD DI 7x tested in both heads. I also felt like the PXG was easier to hit off the surface and really confidence inspiring off the tee. All in a small head package that doesn’t sit closed to my eye. 

I wonder how it’d fair against the g425 as the PXG and Ping woods were typically quite close for me in the past. 

22 hours ago, RyanBarathWRX said:

All the results came from the fitters we interviewed and the survey included every current model fairway wood on the market.  

The reason any one club is either on or not on this list is based solely on what the fitters encounter on a day to day basis while working with golfers based on the two categories.

Any fairway wood on or off this list could be the perfect fit you you based on your swing dynamics, but this list is intended to be a baseline for golfers to start their selection process. 

I somewhat understand where you’re coming from here.  But this is really a test of the big 4.  Fitters put people in what they want to them in without even trying all the rest.  Did each fitter surveyed have access to all high end 3 woods on the market?  It doesn’t seem that way.  Also hat was the handicap range?  GWRX normally does a good job of including all the higher end brands but this article doesn’t even mention them.  If they aren’t good at least tell us why.  Otherwise title this the “Ping, Titleist, Taylormade and Callaway review.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond- 8* Ventus TR Black 6X
TM Stealth 2 Plus - 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Titleist U505- 2 Iron Hzrdous Black 6.5
PXG GEN 5 Tour - 4-PW LA Golf 120 S
Artisan Hand Grind- 50, 55, 60 DG TI S400
Tyson Lamb- Bridgeport Custom

No Srixon love either, and this is their best offerings in FW and Drivers, but marketing plays a big role in what people come in and ask to hit or be fit for. 

Edited by Long Shot

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

I have little to no faith in fitters. Every shop I’ve been to that offers fittings, the fitters just hand them clubs until the guy hits one straight. Never messes with shafts, lengths, weighting, etc. ‘Looks like the Callaway is the one’ 

TXG has shown me that there are guys out there, it’s just not at any kind of normal golf shop. 

On 3/20/2021 at 6:31 AM, QuigleyDU said:

As a fitter myself I will give you my personal top three for you high speed and low speed player and why.

high speed.

1. titleist Ts3 or tsi2. I put these as equal because they really are. To me it comes down to looks and launch. If you need spin go tsi2 if you need to take some off go tsi3. Plus the 7 wood tsi2 is freaking money.

2. Mizuno st-z. This fairway wood is soo underrated it is not even funny. It is slightly larger looking so that may turn some off but it is so easy to hit and very very forgiving. Plus the amount of hosel adjustment is hard to beat.

3. taylormade SIM2. The titanium head is hot. The were able to add just a touch of spin to make it more playable. 

slower swingers

1. callaway B21.  This fairway wood is a godsend as a fitter. It is pretty low spin but also more slice correcting than anything else out there. Yes it has offset. But if it goes long and straight who cares.. if fit there is nothing out there better for your high handicap slicer.

2. Tour edge 721. It just flat works. It spins a little much in my experience. So if you have speed it may cost you some distance. But if you lack it, it will help keep the ball in the air.

3. Ping SFT. It is the shortest fairway wood out of all of them. But it launches high and straight. They also have improved the looks..

Any love for the G425 Max?

Went by the local golf store yesterday to do some casual testing of the 3 wood alternatives for 2021. I'm quite open minded when it comes brands and pretty much tried all of the big brands. The off shelf alternatives were limited in terms of shaft options so it was far from an "apple to apple" comparsion but my take is more or less that if I don't get a feel for the club after a couple of swings a shaft change (within 10g) won't completely change that first impression. SS of the day 103-107. Quick summary of each club:

- Cobra Rad Big Tour Motore X F1 7S,

Bomber, when middled this is as pure as it gets. Great height even off the ground, touching perhaps a bit on too low spin (2800-2900 off the ground)
Not the most consistent. Shaft was ok.

- Cobra Rad Fairway Motore X F3 6S

Hit it straight after the Big Tour, lesser looks and tended to miss more to the left (something I don't want to see)

- Titleist TSi2 Tensei Raw AV Blue 65S & Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 70 6.5

Great feeling at impact, sound/feel improvement over TS line, great numbers, highest smash factor of all when struck right (Av Raw). Two way misses that I partly blame the lighter shaft for. Switched to heavier shaft (RDX 70 6.5) but instantly lost the good strike contact, never really liked the Project X Black designs though.

- Ping G425 Max Alta Ping Alta CB 65

Matte finish which I always liked, sounds and feel better compared to G400 & G410, a bit too high launching and spinning to my liking (+4000 rpm). Should be said that head delivery wasn't the best though.

- Callaway Epic Speed HZRDUS Smoke IM10 60g 6.0

"Cheaper" looks IMO, sat closed. Lighter overall feeling, failed to produce any good strikes. Glued shaft, no adjustments. Was put away quite quickly.

- Mizuno ST-Z Motore X F3 7S

Awesome at setup, straight/to slightly open face which I prefer. Despite the relative large head it didn't feel/look as big as something as last years SIM Ti.

Consistent strikes with good spin and descent angle (3200-3300+ & ~45degree descent). Slight draws as stock shot for me, also the one that contained my AoA

at the best levels of all, around 0 to +1.

Conclusion:

If I were to choose one after this quick test, with these limited fitting possibilites, I'd definitely go with the Mizuno. Ball speeds were a few MPH behind Big Tour and TSi2 on good strikes, but consistent wise it was the clear winner (most important factor for me now when picking a new fw). Next step is to book a proper fitting. Will be interesting to see what Big Tour and TSi can bring consistent wise with shafts similar to the Motore X F3 - if no improvement I'll go with a ST Z with a F3 7X.

Taylormade M1 '17 9,5° UST Elements Platinum Prototype PT6F5
Cobra Radspeed Big Tour 15,5° Rdx Blue 70 6.5
Ping G410 Crossover 20° Tensei Blue 80 TX
Wilson Staff V6 Irons 4-PW True Temper X100 AMT
Mizuno T5 52° & 56° True Temper Gold S300 --> Taylormade MG3 52° & 58° S200 TI
Nike Method Core 01W

3 hours ago, WhostherealSlimShady said:

Any love for the G425 Max?

Not really from me. I know ping makes good stuff. But I am not that impressed with the 425 series. Plus, ping is backordered worse than any other company..

it’s tough to fit someone. They are excited the say “yep I can get you this fairway wood in 3 months”..

• Like 2

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

On 3/20/2021 at 4:53 AM, joj said:

I have little to no faith in fitters. Every shop I’ve been to that offers fittings, the fitters just hand them clubs until the guy hits one straight. Never messes with shafts, lengths, weighting, etc. ‘Looks like the Callaway is the one’ 

TXG has shown me that there are guys out there, it’s just not at any kind of normal golf shop. 

stop going to golf galaxy.. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

On 3/17/2021 at 8:55 AM, third-times-a-charm said:

Interesting..

I did not find it that large in today's market. Face is deep so that takes it away from being a large profile.

It's lie is flat and from guys who own it and their comments, no draw bias. In fact, fades a little. Mizuno took the design from what their pros like- doubt they wanted draw bias.

Easy to change to a 360 grip.

They offer real deal shafts that in the aftermarket, cost almost as much as the club.

Not the highest launcher but easy to launch are other comments

Some guys are saying they turn the 5 wd down to 16 and are getting 3 wd distance of other OEMs.

Nice looking head and sound

Just sayin'.

Edited by SwingMan
  • Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if the new TM Sim 2 Max fairways sit with a (slightly) closed face at address please?

Saw an on line review that stated that (due to lockdown here in the Uk haven’t had the opportunity to look myself in person yet) and it’s something I’m really adverse to....especially with a glued head fairway! 

Thanks.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5 degrees Driver/MCA Diamana GT 60 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 LST 3 wood/15.0 degree (@ 17)/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey Ai One Cruiser Jail Bird 38” putter/Stroke Lab 140 double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022