2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

All Things Michigan Golf.....The Three Putt

knickerbocker

1 hour ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

I’m looking for opinions on Greywalls. Vacationing this summer in northern Wisconsin but not all that close. Trying to decide if I take a day to drive over and play it or not. Would be 2.5-3 hour drive each way. Playing after a drive of that length doesn’t bother me. 

Sand valley is a similar drive and I have done that trip already. Have considered Sentry World but from what I know I’m not sure if it’s my cup of tea or not. 

Its worth that drive to play it once.  Its wild.

10 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

I’m looking for opinions on Greywalls. Vacationing this summer in northern Wisconsin but not all that close. Trying to decide if I take a day to drive over and play it or not. Would be 2.5-3 hour drive each way. Playing after a drive of that length doesn’t bother me. 

Sand valley is a similar drive and I have done that trip already. Have considered Sentry World but from what I know I’m not sure if it’s my cup of tea or not. 

Yes.....why not make a day of it and spend a night?  Could play the Heritage too or maybe see if there is a way to finagle your way into playing the original Langford and Mareau 9. IMO worth the effort to try!  Where will you be staying/playing in Wisco?

43 minutes ago, ode said:

Yes.....why not make a day of it and spend a night?  Could play the Heritage too or maybe see if there is a way to finagle your way into playing the original Langford and Mareau 9. IMO worth the effort to try!  Where will you be staying/playing in Wisco?

We stay near Minocqua and this would most likely be my only round. Usually I just play somewhere local but last year I did 36 at Sand Valley. (I’ve actually considered doing that again but I’m unsure. Kind of depends if Sedge is open for play and I can get a tee time or not.) My lovely wife is usually fine with me taking a day to play golf so I’m trying to take advantage! I don’t see myself getting anywhere near Marquette aside from our semi yearly summer trip so was thinking I may take advantage of it this year. 

I’m able to get a day away but it is a family trip so spending the night elsewhere is a non starter. 

Edited by StudentGolfer4
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

We stay near Minocqua and this would most likely be my only round. Usually I just play somewhere local but last year I did 36 at Sand Valley. (I’ve actually considered doing that again but I’m unsure. Kind of depends if Sedge is open for play and I can get a tee time or not.) My lovely wife is usually fine with me taking a day to play golf so I’m trying to take advantage! I don’t see myself getting anywhere near Marquette aside from our semi yearly summer trip so was thinking I may take advantage of it this year. 

I’m able to get a day away but it is a family trip so spending the night elsewhere is a non starter. 

Nice......enjoy the time in Wisco .... definitely owe it to yourself to make the trip and play Greywalls at least once!

If you are bored of the regulars in Minoqua and don't mind a little jaunt, Bass Lake (north of Antigo) is worth some consideration.....maybe an hour from Minoqua. 

F’ing amazing win today!!!  Go lions!!

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Stream PodcastDetroit | Listen to Forward Down the Field on ...

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

It seems like a long way off with the snow and ice on the ground right now, but I am really looking forward to this year's golf season. I'm starting it off in a big way in late March with my dad at Pebble Beach, which will be the first time either of us has played there (I've been there and stood by the 18th green and had a beer in the Tap Room). We're planning to do a long road trip to visit family in Texas and L.A. beforehand, with a stop in Palm Springs for a few days, in between, and I'm hoping to get in 4-5 rounds before hitting the first tee shot at Spanish Bay. The only thing that would make it better is if I become friends with a member of Cypress Point before then, but those are different circles than the ones I run in, lol.

Once we get back, I did end up getting a membership at the Cardinal at St. John's for the year, so I'm looking forward to making good use of that. The course looks amazing, and it should be fun to have a home base less than 5 minutes from my house.

• Like 4

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Is anyone playing the 36 hole Golfweek Am event at American Dunes?  

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1”
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GT 33.5” short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX

On 1/23/2024 at 10:27 AM, 3_Jack_Par said:

It seems like a long way off with the snow and ice on the ground right now, but I am really looking forward to this year's golf season. I'm starting it off in a big way in late March with my dad at Pebble Beach, which will be the first time either of us has played there (I've been there and stood by the 18th green and had a beer in the Tap Room). We're planning to do a long road trip to visit family in Texas and L.A. beforehand, with a stop in Palm Springs for a few days, in between, and I'm hoping to get in 4-5 rounds before hitting the first tee shot at Spanish Bay. The only thing that would make it better is if I become friends with a member of Cypress Point before then, but those are different circles than the ones I run in, lol.

Once we get back, I did end up getting a membership at the Cardinal at St. John's for the year, so I'm looking forward to making good use of that. The course looks amazing, and it should be fun to have a home base less than 5 minutes from my house.

Will St John have public availability or will it be private?  I know you mentioned something about it before but I can't find the post. 

6 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Will St John have public availability or will it be private?  I know you mentioned something about it before but I can't find the post. 

It’s public, but they’re also going to have about 75 members, from what I understand

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, looking at a few options for a stay and play trip this summer. Treetops, Arcadia and Forest Dunes are sold out for the dates we are looking at. We have Boyne at the top of our list right now with availability but also looking at a couple of other options. Has anyone stayed at Garland recently, if so how were the courses looking this summer? Another option is to Stay at Tullymore play those courses along with a couple others off property. 

Does anyone have experience with the lodging at the UAW in Onway at Black Lake? They have a package with Black Lake, Michaywe, and Gaylord CC. I know there are a few other options in the area as well in terms of course’s within an hour driving including Treetops.

Thanks in advance! 

33 minutes ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Hello all, looking at a few options for a stay and play trip this summer. Treetops, Arcadia and Forest Dunes are sold out for the dates we are looking at. We have Boyne at the top of our list right now with availability but also looking at a couple of other options. Has anyone stayed at Garland recently, if so how were the courses looking this summer? Another option is to Stay at Tullymore play those courses along with a couple others off property. 

Does anyone have experience with the lodging at the UAW in Onway at Black Lake? They have a package with Black Lake, Michaywe, and Gaylord CC. I know there are a few other options in the area as well in terms of course’s within an hour driving including Treetops.

Thanks in advance! 

Did Garland 4 years ago.  For the price, you cant beat that package and convenience.  Just know you are getting "good" golf courses and not Boyne type courses.  No complaints about anything except the bugs.  Bring spray.

Did Boyne 3 years ago.  If you dont mind ponying up the money, we loved Boyne Highlands.  We did the Heather, Hills, Ross, and Bay Harbor.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Thanks in advance! 

We did a combined Forest Dunes/Garland trip a few years ago. Arrived at FD on a Thursday, played Dunes then the par 3. Spent the night, then played Dunes again the next morning before heading to Garland and playing another three rounds over the next day and a half. The lodging in the condos across the street was nice and the courses are good, but not great. Overall I'd say everyone enjoyed the trip.

This year we're doing a combined Bucks Run/St Ives trip with a similar schedule. Drive up Thursday morning, play Bucks Run. Spend the night in their new condos, then play again the next morning before heading to St. Ives for another 54 holes between Friday afternoon and Saturday. 

45 minutes ago, 1puttTUT said:

We did a combined Forest Dunes/Garland trip a few years ago. Arrived at FD on a Thursday, played Dunes then the par 3. Spent the night, then played Dunes again the next morning before heading to Garland and playing another three rounds over the next day and a half. The lodging in the condos across the street was nice and the courses are good, but not great. Overall I'd say everyone enjoyed the trip.

This year we're doing a combined Bucks Run/St Ives trip with a similar schedule. Drive up Thursday morning, play Bucks Run. Spend the night in their new condos, then play again the next morning before heading to St. Ives for another 54 holes between Friday afternoon and Saturday. 

I'd love to hear to hear a report about the new condos once you go.  Our group is eyeing that trip for 2025.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1puttTUT said:

We’ve Looked into Tullymore/St. Ives as well, just waiting back on a quote. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, countvelvet said:

My group of 24 has gone to the Loon the last 4 years but they have almost doubled their price.  This summer we have rented 2 houses in Michaywe Pines through Pinecone Vacations.  We are playing Michaywe twice, Gaylord Golf Club and The Tribute.  Staying 2 nights for a great price.

My group of 8 has used Pinecone several times, and they were always pretty good about putting together decent packages for fairly reasonable rates. That have a decent stable of houses to rent, so getting everything planned in one shot was nice and convenient. We haven’t used them for a while, but it’s good to hear that they’re still doing a good job

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

My group of 8 has used Pinecone several times, and they were always pretty good about putting together decent packages for fairly reasonable rates. That have a decent stable of houses to rent, so getting everything planned in one shot was nice and convenient. We haven’t used them for a while, but it’s good to hear that they’re still doing a good job

Yes they are great to deal with.  Both houses back onto the 8th fairway of Michaywe and are about 200 feet from one another.

Played and got these maybe 15 years ago.

Not remembering the course, I found Macatawa Legends FB page on the web which showed the same logo as found on these tools. Clicked on the website there which took me to Macatawa Golf Club… with a different logo.
Why did they change the name?

62F6880A-F2A3-46B6-AB52-A109D93EC921.jpeg

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

On 2/18/2024 at 4:50 PM, Bob Cat said:

Played and got these maybe 15 years ago.

Not remembering the course, I found Macatawa Legends FB page on the web which showed the same logo as found on these tools. Clicked on the website there which took me to Macatawa Golf Club… with a different logo.
Why did they change the name?

Change in ownership.  Speculation on my part but since it also went fully private the new owners presumably wanted a break from the past when it was not.

• Like 1

Trying to plan my group of 12's trip for 2025.  We are now looking at Michigan after getting shut down at Sand Valley, insane how quickly it books up.  We are coming from all over the country - From NC to Seattle.  Varying handicaps from 5 - 30. 

For courses - Was thinking Forest Dunes (Loop Red/Black, OG course)  and Arcadia Bluffs (both courses).

Thoughts on stay and play vs Airbnb/VRBO?

Is stay and play required for advance group booking for these courses?   How quickly does everything fill up/ when can I book stuff?

Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tte720 said:

Trying to plan my group of 12's trip for 2025.  We are now looking at Michigan after getting shut down at Sand Valley, insane how quickly it books up.  We are coming from all over the country - From NC to Seattle.  Varying handicaps from 5 - 30. 

For courses - Was thinking Forest Dunes (Loop Red/Black, OG course)  and Arcadia Bluffs (both courses).

Is stay and play required for advance group booking for these courses?   How quickly does everything fill up/ when can I book stuff?

Thanks!

We booked forest dunes for July of this year in April of 2023. We are staying onsite. It’s my understanding that you couldn’t book any golf prior to around right now for this year without staying onsite.

In summary, if you are looking at 2025, I’d reach out to them for information right away, but I’d guess you got a little time.

We are playing a course on the way up on day one, 36 onsite on day 2, 18 on day 3, then waking up and heading home on day for. So three nights and 54 holes at Forest dunes.

Edited by Pepetito
More text
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 9:28 AM, tte720 said:

Thanks!

I believe that tee times for next year at Arcadia open up for booking on November 1st, and the weekends book up really quickly. To give you an idea, I was looking to plan a trip in late July or early August for this year, and I went in to look on November 6th, and only one of the three Saturdays we were looking at had any availability other than twilight. Fortunately, it was the weekend that we had been leaning toward, and I did end up booking them, but if you want to lock something in on your preferred dates, you should be ready to do it the day that bookings open. 

• Like 2