2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

All Things Michigan Golf.....The Three Putt

knickerbocker

On 6/5/2023 at 8:10 PM, golfortennis said:

Another question for GR guys.  Looks like I might be playing Watermark in a few weeks.  I see on their website they did a redesign in 22.  Was that before or after last season?  Reason I'm asking is whether what is on google maps is actually useful or not in making myself a yardage book.

I am not a member but do play there 1-2 times a year.   If memory serves it was under construction in 22.  I played there early summer and they had already widened 3 and 5 but they were still working on the back 9 (there was a temp green on the par 5).

1 hour ago, joekloo said:

I am not a member but do play there 1-2 times a year.   If memory serves it was under construction in 22.  I played there early summer and they had already widened 3 and 5 but they were still working on the back 9 (there was a temp green on the par 5).

Thanks for that update.  So is it still under construction then, or has it been completed?  I take it then a June 22 image from a satellite would not give me the right images then?

3 hours ago, golfortennis said:

Thanks for that update.  So is it still under construction then, or has it been completed?  I take it then a June 22 image from a satellite would not give me the right images then?

Google earth shows most of the updates that I remembered.  3 had the path on the left that was added, 5 was opened on right and the par 5 on the back that is furthest most west looked like it was the actual green, not the temp.

Anyone have recommendations near Ludington?  Probably spending a couple days there in July.  Have played both Arcadia courses before - wondering what else in the area could be good?

I looked up:

Manistee Golf Club

Manistee National

Hemlock

Lincoln Hills

Bear Lakes

Any of these that you'd recommend, or is there something else I missed putting on a potential list?  Looking to stay within an hour of Ludington.

Thanks!

Hemlock is an easy yes.  It's a very nice course.  

Haven't played Manistee National, but I've generally heard favorable things about both courses.

I enjoy Oceana Golf Club in Shelby, 30 min south.   Two very different nines, ownership has been putting money into the course.  It's not expensive, either.  Not as nice a course as Hemlock, but a fun one.  Same ownership owns Benona Shores, a par 60 that's always in great shape.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 8:13 PM, postfold said:

Hemlock is an easy yes.  It's a very nice course.  

Haven't played Manistee National, but I've generally heard favorable things about both courses.

I enjoy Oceana Golf Club in Shelby, 30 min south.   Two very different nines, ownership has been putting money into the course.  It's not expensive, either.  Not as nice a course as Hemlock, but a fun one.  Same ownership owns Benona Shores, a par 60 that's always in great shape.

I play Oceana quite a bit. It's the nicest course close to my in-laws house so we generally play a quick 9 there so we're not gone too long (they used to watch my son, but now he comes with us and they watch our dog instead). I was there for Memorial day weekend and the greens were in great shape. It's no destination course, but a great bang for the buck if you're in the area.

On 6/12/2023 at 1:58 PM, Kuhndogg8 said:

Anyone have recommendations near Ludington?  Probably spending a couple days there in July.  Have played both Arcadia courses before - wondering what else in the area could be good?

I looked up:

Manistee Golf Club

Manistee National

Hemlock

Lincoln Hills

Bear Lakes

Any of these that you'd recommend, or is there something else I missed putting on a potential list?  Looking to stay within an hour of Ludington.

Thanks!

I'm heading to Manistee National for the first time July 5-7.  Can report back then.

Manistee National is good, not great.  Course across the street is extreme target golf which I don't like - even though I shot a 68 there and is last time I broke 70.

I love Hemlock. Hearne is underrated designer which reminds me....I miss Yarrow!!

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

On 6/5/2023 at 8:10 PM, golfortennis said:

Another question for GR guys.  Looks like I might be playing Watermark in a few weeks.  I see on their website they did a redesign in 22.  Was that before or after last season?  Reason I'm asking is whether what is on google maps is actually useful or not in making myself a yardage book.

I’m a member at one of the sister courses and I have never liked watermark. But I just played the front after the redesign and I didn’t notice much difference. I will be playing it again hopefully at least once for for their Annual Audi Cup. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 6:25 PM, Jspangler said:

I’m a member at one of the sister courses and I have never liked watermark. But I just played the front after the redesign and I didn’t notice much difference. I will be playing it again hopefully at least once for for their Annual Audi Cup. 

Just played Watermark yesterday.  The only complaint I could come up with is that it is somewhat tight, so it will bite you if you aren't hitting tee shots well.  I really enjoyed it though, personally.  Our only issue, but given it's  a member's course I understand why there are no signs, is that it was a bit confusing to know which hole was which on a couple of occasions.  But play it once and you know where it is.

We did find it tough walking being followed by some carts(we were far from the only walkers, just where we fell in the tee sheet).  It's a long walk from #1 to #2, and 15 to 16 will get people on your butt in no time, especially having to go back to the tee.  We let the family in the cart play through at that point.  But overall we really enjoyed it.  We are hoping we can get another shot at it now that we know lines, etc.  It has been many years since I played Thousand Oaks, but I think I would play Watermark over that one 9 times out of ten.  But as they say, that's what makes a market.  

1 hour ago, golfortennis said:

Just played Watermark yesterday.  The only complaint I could come up with is that it is somewhat tight, so it will bite you if you aren't hitting tee shots well.  I really enjoyed it though, personally.  Our only issue, but given it's  a member's course I understand why there are no signs, is that it was a bit confusing to know which hole was which on a couple of occasions.  But play it once and you know where it is.

We did find it tough walking being followed by some carts(we were far from the only walkers, just where we fell in the tee sheet).  It's a long walk from #1 to #2, and 15 to 16 will get people on your butt in no time, especially having to go back to the tee.  We let the family in the cart play through at that point.  But overall we really enjoyed it.  We are hoping we can get another shot at it now that we know lines, etc.  It has been many years since I played Thousand Oaks, but I think I would play Watermark over that one 9 times out of ten.  But as they say, that's what makes a market.  

That is why I tell people to go play and form their own opinions. I personally would play Thousand Oaks 10/10 times over Watermark. Honestly I’m glad they bought Thornapple Pointe as well because I would play that 10/10 times over Watermark. But people love Watermark obviously because they have no shortage of members. 

I love the reply though. Normally I get met with you are dumb for that opinion remarks🤣. I don’t know how many times people tell me I’m wrong because I don’t like American Dunes and preferred it when it was Grand Haven Golf Club 🤷‍♂️.

But anytime you want to play Thousand Oaks or they just purchased Muskegon CC which is a gem, especially as a walker, feel free to message me. 

1 hour ago, Jspangler said:

That is why I tell people to go play and form their own opinions. I personally would play Thousand Oaks 10/10 times over Watermark. Honestly I’m glad they bought Thornapple Pointe as well because I would play that 10/10 times over Watermark. But people love Watermark obviously because they have no shortage of members. 

I love the reply though. Normally I get met with you are dumb for that opinion remarks🤣. I don’t know how many times people tell me I’m wrong because I don’t like American Dunes and preferred it when it was Grand Haven Golf Club 🤷‍♂️.

But anytime you want to play Thousand Oaks or they just purchased Muskegon CC which is a gem, especially as a walker, feel free to message me. 

How do you know I didn't think that in my inside voice?  :classic_biggrin:  Nah, I get it.  There are courses I've not been as impressed with as people would think I should be.  I have had Thornapple Pointe on my radar for playing when going down there.  I just know my buddy who came with me had never played Shepherd's Hollow, and we're not sure how many more trips he can take, so I wanted to make sure he got to see that place.  Had the bluewater bridge not been reduced, we may have played TP this morning before coming home, but felt a late night crossing would be easier on the stress levels.

There are some seriously nice houses along Watermark.  We keep "claiming" the ones we want. 

Thanks for the offer, I will certainly file that one away.  My other buddy teaches at Ferris St for a weekend every so often, so GR is his airport, which makes for a nice hub of golf. 

• Like 1

Had my annual trip this past weekend.

Day one: Arcadia bluffs

Day 2: Manistee national - retreat and revenge

Day 3: Arcadia south

Arcadia bluffs: Havent been to the bluffs in like 10 or so years and man.  What a course.  Might be my favorite in the state.  Highlight was my buddy who has never broken 40 in his life shot 35 on the front 9  including an eagle hole out from like 110 yards.  We used a forecaddie for the first time which was a cool add-on.  Stayed and ate dinner there which was quite good also.

Manistee courses were slightly better than expected.  Solid B's I'd say.   A little more tighter than i like and if you miss the fairway its punching out of trees.  That said, good conditioning.  We enjoyed them.

Arcadia South: love love love it.  First time i played it.  Wild greens.  Very fast.  Can use alot of imagination.  Big fan.

All 16 of us stayed at a giant cottage at Manistee.  They own 3.  I'd highly recommend if looking to do a similar trip.

Had a great time though we came in last place.

Onto 2024.  Forest Dunes (and both loops) plus the Nightmare on the way up is already booked.

Edited by Pepetito
typo
  • Like 2

Heading to forest dunes Sunday. Anyone play the loop recently and any advice?  I knew early on you couldn’t fly it to the pin but wondered if that has changed somewhat as it’s grown in. 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland CBX4 50, 56, 60 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 Wedges

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

20 hours ago, Pepetito said:

Had my annual trip this past weekend.

Day one: Arcadia bluffs

Day 2: Manistee national - retreat and revenge

Day 3: Arcadia south

Arcadia bluffs: Havent been to the bluffs in like 10 or so years and man.  What a course.  Might be my favorite in the state.  Highlight was my buddy who has never broken 40 in his life shot 35 on the front 9  including an eagle hole out from like 110 yards.  We used a forecaddie for the first time which was a cool add-on.  Stayed and ate dinner there which was quite good also.

Manistee courses were slightly better than expected.  Solid B's I'd say.   A little more tighter than i like and if you miss the fairway its punching out of trees.  That said, good conditioning.  We enjoyed them.

Arcadia South: love love love it.  First time i played it.  Wild greens.  Very fast.  Can use alot of imagination.  Big fan.

All 16 of us stayed at a giant cottage at Manistee.  They own 3.  I'd highly recommend if looking to do a similar trip.

Had a great time though we came in last place.

Onto 2024.  Forest Dunes (and both loops) plus the Nightmare on the way up is already booked.

Bluffs in good shape? Playing next Thursday as opening round of a couples trip. 

Also playing Champion Hill and both Crystal Mountain courses.

Heading up this weekend for my month in Grand Rapids, my favorite time of the year. Definitely playing Pilgrim's Run and also a few times the Meadows, but looking for probably one other round. Normally I play Thornapple, but curious if anyone has played Quail Ridge lately. I've never played there, so not sure what to expect there.

Edited by MattSTL88

7 hours ago, 1puttTUT said:

Bluffs was in great shape when I was there yesterday.  Greens were firm and rolling true, rough was green and lush, bunkers were fantastic, zero complaints. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 1puttTUT said:

I found the bluffs to be in fantastic shape.

I"m heading the Champion Hill and Crystal Mtn - Betsie Valley in a month.  Looking forward to playing Betsie for the first time post renovations.  I've always really enjoyed the Crystal Mtn - Mountain Ridge course.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pepetito said:

I found the bluffs to be in fantastic shape.

I"m heading the Champion Hill and Crystal Mtn - Betsie Valley in a month.  Looking forward to playing Betsie for the first time post renovations.  I've always really enjoyed the Crystal Mtn - Mountain Ridge course.

Nice! It will be my first time playing Mt Ridge and Betsie Valley. 

9 hours ago, hackeraz said:

Heading up to Michigan next week and playing Ravines, Meadows, Gull Lakeview, Angels Crossing, and then a couple old stops from when we were kids. Any issues (course shape and such) that anyone is aware of with those listed? 

Played Meadows last week, in great shape.  Haven't played any of the others this season.

Played Timber Trace in Pinckney yesterday.  What was apparently a neglected goat track previously is making a marvelous rebound under new ownership.  Course was spotlessly clean, flat tee boxes, well pitched fairways and tough, fast rolling greens filled in nicely and being maintained.  Rough is penal with trees and thick wild grasses to trap errant shots.  Bunkers were a mix of good, recently refurbished and other clearly marked GUR and slated for repair with work ongoing as we played.

Practice facilities - driving range on mats, huge rolling putting green and a nice sand bunker/pitching practice area.

New deluxe carts with GPS, fitted with divot fill bottles that had been topped up that morning.  Course is most assuredly NOT walkable.  There are two very lengthy traverses, one on each nine.  5 minutes plus in a gas cart!  Pricing is reasonable.

Clubhouse was nice, grille food was mediocre.  Wrapped heat lamp burgers and dogs vs freshly cooked food after the round were a letdown.  No deep fryers available for French fries or other sides.

We were started on the back 9 and were immediately met with a traffic jam.  It lasted the entire first 9, but the slow play ended at the turn with no one in front of us.  We played much better there with a properly paced round.  My son and I will be returning.

Edited by SnowbirdTom
  • Like 3

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Taylormade MG4 52/56 wedges

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

On 7/11/2023 at 7:14 PM, odshot68 said:

Heading to forest dunes Sunday. Anyone play the loop recently and any advice?  I knew early on you couldn’t fly it to the pin but wondered if that has changed somewhat as it’s grown in. 

Sorry, wish I saw this earlier. What did you and your group think of the courses? 

The loop is definitely firm but it’s not stupid firm. More than anything it depends what you are use to playing. Shots will need to land short of the pin but don’t let it psych you out and think you can’t hit normal golf shots. You definitely can. The most important things is having confidence in shots around the greens. I love that it can be putter, 56degree, pw, 8 iron, or even hybrid. You just need something you’re confident in. 

• Thanks 1