2021 US Women's Open, June 3-6

18majors

15 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

And yet he admits he doesn't watch much LPGA golf. Is it that difficult to find an analyst(s) who actually follows the tour? 

I'm retired now. Hey, NBC/GC, give me a call. 

What a  job. I'd love it. I'd have to lie about my handicap though. Just put the decimal point in the wrong place.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, DanoCanuck said:

I'm not familiar with all the on course ladies commentating but the ones I've heard so far on the golf channel are not very good. 

Kay Cockerill and Karen Stupples are on course as is Jerry Foltz. All 3 are fine IMO, and far superior to Paige Mackenzie who is in the booth half of the time, whom I cannot stand to listen to.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, DanoCanuck said:

I'm not familiar with all the on course ladies commentating but the ones I've heard so far on the golf channel are not very good. 

Women’s analysts in general on GC know the players, are at the events and do a great job, IMO.  If you are familiar with and following LPGA you can’t help but be familiar with the analysts. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

True. Judy, Karen, Kay, Paige, and now Morgan have all played professional golf, and are knowledgeable about the players and the game. Yeah, each of them may have some minor faults, but they get the job done.

Grant, Jerry, Tom, and Jim are also top notch.

I completely agree... Certainly in terms of knowledge... I'd even include Ryan (Lavner) on the Collegiate circuit... My only "fault" for Paige is her "over" laughing / expressions (WOW! LOL)... 

I am not a fan of Aaron on the PGA side... Tripp neither (in the coverage of the featured group yesterday, for example)... and I also feel Amanda should stick with NCAA bec as someone said yesterday, she takes the LPGA 10 yrs back LOL...   

I certainly look forward to watching (and unmuting) when it's Judy, Jerry, Tom, Grant and Karen...  I usually muted it when Fox covered all US Open's events...  

TO ME, true knowledge and effort of the journalists come when I get additional insights on International Players - over and beyond what I already know, especially Southeast Asian players (that's how I "test" these guys if they truly do their work or just rehash - the ones who I know literally talk to the players and do their homework are Foltz, Stupples -- those two I can vouch for ☺︎)  -- I've always wondered how some of these intl players from Asia that were unknown would be "covered" when they go to the LPGA, I found my answer slowly but surely as they played more and more in the LPGA  -- interesting to see how they start getting more knowledge about Jeen, Yuka, etc

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 2

Well, what do you know, the cut stayed at +6. It appeared to me that the scores were improving towards the end of the coverage. 

Hannah and Muni both snuck into the weekend. Pleasantly surprised to see In Kyung make the cut. She hasn't had a lot of success this season, and didn't play much last year.

Sophia didn't quite have it this week. I'm curious how much a factor her 4 rounds this past weekend contributed to her play. She had to be running on empty. Ally seemed to weather the first two days.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

13 minutes ago, 3whacker said:

very disappointed in Team Jelly, thought they would both show a lot better than they did, the course should have set up nicely for both...

I'm actually not sure if it does (raised question earlier).  I think the lines and angles off the tee here are a lot different than what players often see.  Far different from many modern courses that are wide open and only protected by water or bunkers at the corners (which aren't a problem when you can fly them).  Brooke also struggled (over 2 days) and I'd put her in the same category off the tee.

Edit:  It's only one week so hard to know for sure / not claiming any "grand" insight or predictions here.

Edited by agolf1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

I'm actually not sure if it does (raised question earlier).  I think the lines and angles off the tee here are a lot different than what players often see.  Far different from many modern courses that are wide open and only protected by water or bunkers at the corners (which aren't a problem when you can fly them).  Brooke also struggled (over 2 days) and I'd put her in the came category off the tee.

Yuka must really be managing her misses. She only hit half of her fairways, but still hit 66% (24/36) of the greens. 

Jessica hit three more fairways than Yuka, and only one less green, but she's 10 shots back. Wow. 26 vs. 31 putts per green will do that.

'Same with Nelly. 17 fairways and 22 greens, so you'd think she'd still be in it, but 33 putts per round = trunk slam.

• Like 3

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

interesting to see how they start getting more knowledge about Jeen, Yuka, etc

No problem, American media will gather information we already know and Beth Ann Nichols will write in depth articles about them.  The real issue is whether they'll be treated like Michelle Wie, Paula Creamer or Lexi Thompson when it comes to TV coverage.  

All players get TV coverage when they contend on weekends.  The difference between superstars and run of the mill stars is superstars get coverage when they're 10 or 15 shots behind, especially on weekdays.

Recent stars like Lydia Ko, Minjee Lee, Jessica and Nelly Korda and all Asian stars are not treated like superstars. The only recent star that's treated close to a superstar is Brooke Henderson.

So the real issue is the producers of Golf Channel and NBC Sports; they're the people who decide what to show on TV.  My impression is they're all like Amanda Blumenherst, they aren't in tune with what're happening now but continue to live in the past.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Yuka must really be managing her misses. She only hit half of her fairways, but still hit 66% (24/36) of the greens. 

Jessica hit three more fairways than Yuka, and only one less green, but she's 10 shots back. Wow. 26 vs. 31 putts per green will do that.

'Same with Nelly. 17 fairways and 22 greens, so you'd think she'd still be in it, but 33 putts per round = trunk slam.

I've only seen the highlights vs. the full broadcast but Yuka seemed to get a few "playable" shots in the deep stuff.  Either the lie wasn't that bad and/or the angle still gave a decent shot to that particular green.

Of course hit it good or bad still need to make putts per above.  I just wasn't sure if this course sets up well for the long and reasonably accurate group off the tee.  They could be in the fairway off the tee with a fairway or long iron but playing from the same spot as everyone else has eaten into one of the (relative) advantages they have.

I'm sure we can find some less accurate shorter driver that is doing well so again I realize it is only one week....I wouldn't have expected Lexi to be where she is on this course so we are all genius and moron over the four days...

It's hard to know what Yuka Saso, Lee6, Megha Ganne and Meghan Kang will do over the weekend.  So, the important numbers are Shanshan Feng -3, Inbee Par -2 and Lexi Thompson -2.

On this course, any player can shoot -5 or +7 on any given day; so leaderboard is a bit meaningless until we're further down the line.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

I've only seen the highlights

A true fan normally follows and watches the broadcast.

We have two more rounds to gather more data about the Olympic Club; what we've seen is Sarah Burnham (Rolex #280) shot a -5 and Brooke/Nelly shot +7.

The angles off the tees are clearly different here, but the course hasn't played as difficult as advertised.  USGA has gone out its way to set up the course as easy as possible for the players to score.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 18majors said:

It's hard to know what Yuka Saso, Lee6, Megha Ganne and Meghan Kang will do over the weekend.  So, the important numbers are Shanshan Feng -3, Inbee Par -2 and Lexi Thompson -2.

On this course, any player can shoot -5 or +7 on any given day; so leaderboard is a bit meaningless until we're further down the line.

My hope is that Yuka sustains some sort of competitive play over the weekend  (competitive - still there on the first page, not fade away -- doesn't need to be a win) -- based on her results in LPGA events so far, she has "faded" over the weekend... usually a strong first two days... it was like that in last year's USWO too -- but here's hoping she's already got some experience on her belt on that front -- eg last few pairings on the weekend -- the pressure is there for sure and will be different from most, if not all JLPGA events where she's already used to by now (heck she's won 2x there as most of you know).  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 18majors said:

No problem, American media will gather information we already know and Beth Ann Nichols will write in depth articles about them.  The real issue is whether they'll be treated like Michelle Wie, Paula Creamer or Lexi Thompson when it comes to TV coverage.  

All players get TV coverage when they contend on weekends.  The difference between superstars and run of the mill stars is superstars get coverage when they're 10 or 15 shots behind, especially on weekdays.

Recent stars like Lydia Ko, Minjee Lee, Jessica and Nelly Korda and all Asian stars are not treated like superstars. The only recent star that's treated close to a superstar is Brooke Henderson.

So the real issue is the producers of Golf Channel and NBC Sports; they're the people who decide what to show on TV.  My impression is they're all like Amanda Blumenherst, they aren't in tune with what're happening now but continue to live in the past.

They claim to provide "equal opportunity" - but so far, have fallen short of that -- so yes, not hopeful on that front (eg TV coverage). 

On print, yes Beth and Julie (Williams) have been ok in that regard...  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 18majors said:

A true fan normally follows and watches the broadcast.

Sorry, some other priorities and time zone differences making it hard.  I watched a fair amount of Brooke-Lexi-Patti R1 but didn't catch much of R2.

Personally, I think this type of scoring is great.  Can shoot -3 to -5 if you get it going but can easily shoot 75-80 if off.  Let's see how the weekend is but it could be similar to the recent PGA (mens).

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

Personally, I think this type of scoring is great.  Can shoot -3 to -5 if you get it going but can easily shoot 75-80 if off.  Let's see how the weekend is but it could be similar to the recent PGA (mens).

Phil Mickelson led almost wire to wire to win; are you saying Yuka Saso would win?  The Philippines will declare a two-day national holiday to celebrate!

Just kidding, I'm pretty sure you're comparing women's scoring here to men's scoring at Kiawah Island.

Edited by 18majors
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

I've only seen the highlights vs. the full broadcast but Yuka seemed to get a few "playable" shots in the deep stuff.  Either the lie wasn't that bad and/or the angle still gave a decent shot to that particular green.

Of course hit it good or bad still need to make putts per above.  I just wasn't sure if this course sets up well for the long and reasonably accurate group off the tee.  They could be in the fairway off the tee with a fairway or long iron but playing from the same spot as everyone else has eaten into one of the (relative) advantages they have.

I'm sure we can find some less accurate shorter driver that is doing well so again I realize it is only one week....I wouldn't have expected Lexi to be where she is on this course so we are all genius and moron over the four days...

Megan has "only" averaged 237 yds off the tee, but she has hit 20 fairways, and 27 greens. 28 putts per round.

Shanshan at 229 yds, 23 fairways, and 24 greens. Inbee at 234 yds, 22 fairways, and 23 greens.

All seem to be getting it done staying in the short grass, and averaging ~28 putts per round. 30+ putts isn't doing it.

Megha averaged 246 yds per round with only 17 fairways and 22 greens. Scrambling is top notch.

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, agolf1 said:

I'm actually not sure if it does (raised question earlier).  I think the lines and angles off the tee here are a lot different than what players often see.  Far different from many modern courses that are wide open and only protected by water or bunkers at the corners (which aren't a problem when you can fly them).  Brooke also struggled (over 2 days) and I'd put her in the same category off the tee.

Edit:  It's only one week so hard to know for sure / not claiming any "grand" insight or predictions here.

I have played Olympic, it favors a high ball hitter because the ball does not travel well..It is often called the longest "short course" you will ever play, because the uphill holes may be short in distance but the damp air easily adds at least one club and on some days especially during " June gloom" maybe two extra..We all know JK and NK can hit the ball long and launch it high, and they aren't exactly crooked off the tee. JK got off to a great start and just seemed to go in reverse, NK never seemed to get untracked...guess it just wasn't their week or their championship

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Greg_B said:

Kay Cockerill and Karen Stupples are on course as is Jerry Foltz. All 3 are fine IMO, and far superior to Paige Mackenzie who is in the booth half of the time, whom I cannot stand to listen to.

Paige Mackenzie sounds like she's auditioning for a reboot of 'Valley Girl'.

18 minutes ago, 3whacker said:

I have played Olympic, it favors a high ball hitter because the ball does not travel well..It is often called the longest "short course" you will ever play, because the uphill holes may be short in distance but the damp air easily adds at least one club and on some days especially during " June gloom" maybe two extra..We all know JK and NK can hit the ball long and launch it high, and they aren't exactly crooked off the tee. JK got off to a great start and just seemed to go in reverse, NK never seemed to get untracked...guess it just wasn't their week or their championship

Well, played it or not the long and high didn't exactly win any of the men's US Opens there.  When you consider the doglegs and reverse camber fairways I'd bet the landing area for these players off the tee is much much narrower (with the driver) than your typical blast it down the fairway over everything courses.

Inbee Park, one of the shorter and lowest ball flight players, is just a tad ahead of JK and NK.    I will give you than NK's total shots in the tournament will be lower than Inbee's total shots.

You may be right but the scoreboard says something else.  I'd think about whether you may be wrong but that's just me.

Another Lexi article, but this one is not bad

Lexi Thompson Continues To Battle

"For Thompson, it’s not too late to become the player she was supposed to be, and this U.S. Women’s Open represents a monumental opportunity. But win or lose she seems to have found the balanced perspective that so long eluded her. “Golf is a crazy game and you can never perfect it,” she said following the second round of her 52nd major. “That’s why I think we’re all crazy for playing it, but it keeps me coming back out.”

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Well, what do you know, the cut stayed at +6. It appeared to me that the scores were improving towards the end of the coverage. 

Hannah and Muni both snuck into the weekend. Pleasantly surprised to see In Kyung make the cut. She hasn't had a lot of success this season, and didn't play much last year.

Sophia didn't quite have it this week. I'm curious how much a factor her 4 rounds this past weekend contributed to her play. She had to be running on empty. Ally seemed to weather the first two days.

Ariya and Shenshen also both making statements after a long; albeit not as long, previous week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SwooshLT said:

Ariya and Shenshen also both making statements after a long; albeit not as long, previous week.

Unfortunately the Bank of Hope was put in an awkward spot. 'Glad they stepped up to offer the new tournament, but the scheduling was poor. There's plenty of room in the schedule earlier in the season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

I think someone comes from 3-5 back on Sunday to win this .......the one-off 66-67 round will come at the right time! 

Patty Tavatanakit will keep her 2021 Grand Slam dream alive with a low round today.  She can do it, she's the best long game and short game; she's the best.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Patty Tavatanakit will keep her 2021 Grand Slam dream alive with a low round today.  She can do it, she's the best long game and short game; she's the best.

Unsure what happened to her in Thailand 🇹🇭 but her talent is unparalleled......tiny bit more experience then......

• Like 1