My Nicklaus-Inspired Custom Putter Project by Clay Long

Nice information and really nice putter. Clay is doing some cool things in his little shop and getting better and better with every putter. I like watching his trouble shooting and process on Instagram. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I didn’t know anything about clay long, very interesting insight. I also didn’t know about his work with the milled grind wedges either. I just picked up a Ardmore 3 as well so in thought I have a clay long too lol.  Appreciate your post 🙏🏻

Edited by SylvesterLundgren
  • Like 1

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

Awesome looking putter...but those irons!!!! Oh my those look incredible. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

On 4/25/2021 at 10:25 PM, SylvesterLundgren said:

I didn’t know anything about clay long, very interesting insight. I also didn’t know about his work with the milled grind wedges either. I just picked up a Ardmore 3 as well so in thought I have a clay long too lol.  Appreciate your post 🙏🏻

Appreciate you taking time to read it!

On 4/26/2021 at 3:33 AM, mogc60 said:

Awesome looking putter...but those irons!!!! Oh my those look incredible. 

The irons are CL-90.  It's an original design by Clay Long for the Japanese market circa 1990.  If you notice the bullet in the muscle - it's reminiscent of the Wilson Dynapower.  I guess that is a heavy influence on Mr. Long as that's also what he did with the Milled Grind wedges with that red false bore through in the wedges.

7 hours ago, Wild Turkey said:

Thanks for taking the time to share all of this history.  I honestly have not heard of Clay Long.  I love all of the little details you shared from Nicklaus reserved fluted shafts to, hiding the welded neck and even the no longer made Royal wrap grip.  Congrats on your new sled!!

I just felt Mr. Long is not as recognized as he ought to be and I was very excited about this putter!  I guess my excitement made me write something very very long, so I truly appreciate it when people like you really read it through.  Thank you so much!

• Like 2

I had Lamont Mann at Mannkrafted do something similar for me.  I’ve always done well with a heel shafted, flanged putter like an 8802.  I have several different putters of that design.  What I didn’t have, and could never have, was a George Low Wizard 600.  I could never have one because I’m LH and the Wizard 600 was never available in LH.  I contacted Lamont about doing something like this and he was all on board.  We started with the basic Wizard 600 design and made a few tweeks to modernize it.  He had a Wizard 600 on hand so it was easy to work from that original.  My main worry was weight.  The original Wizard 600 head weights about 310 gms.  Quite light by modern standards.  I wanted 335-340 gms.  This is the head weight of a Cleveland Ben Crenshaw designed by that I had Tom Slighter modify for me with tungsten weights.  So after discussion with Lamont we made the following changes.  First, the head would be 5% larger than the original.  Not enough difference to notice visually but giving a little extra weight. It also resulted in a slightly thicker face which gives a very solid feel on impact.  He also added 4 tungsten inserts on the sole.  These changes brought the head weight to 340 gms.  I chose a brushed, nickel finish and fine face milling.  I’m not a big fan of deep face milling.  Purely a personal preference.  Lastly, the original Wizard  600 uses an inserted shaft.  I really like the Wilson headspeed putter shaft for this type putter.  The headspeed is an over the hosel design.  He didn’t have a headspeed to use but he did have several of the original Bullseye, fluted, putter shafts.  He had purchased these as new, old stock at some point.  He told me these feel much like the headspeed and it turns out that is quite an accurate assessment.  So I have this beautiful, one of a kind, LH, Wizard 600ish clone.  I have used it for the last 5 years and still haven’t found anything to best it.  It doesn’t mean I haven’t tried and used some other putters.  This is WRX after all.  But I always come back to this one.

Edited by skraly
  • Like 2

Clay Long is an unsung legend that I have come to know a bit about and love the fact that he still produces putters.   Jick, that putter you had made is SWEET!!!  It is awesome to hear that you were able to have as much input as you were.  The part regarding the shaft choice was quite personally interesting.  I had a gentleman reach out to me, a few months ago with a stash of shafts that were taking up space in his garage, still in the original cardboard case, from the 90's.   They are the fluted tip, with flutes a little longer than those found on the old flare tip or .395 tip Bullseye shafts.  Finding them in .355 tip was an absolute treat.

Love the looks of your new wand and I hope that it treats you amazingly well. 

I know that in the past, you and I have exchanged notes over at PutterTalk.com, but my memory is shot and I am lost to say just exactly what ideas we shared.  If you think of anything that we might need to cover, please reach out here, via PM and say, "HI!"

Be well and enjoy that lovely new stick!

LaMont in AZ

• Like 3

On 4/30/2021 at 7:23 AM, golfluvzme said:

Clay Long is an unsung legend that I have come to know a bit about and love the fact that he still produces putters.   Jick, that putter you had made is SWEET!!!  It is awesome to hear that you were able to have as much input as you were.  The part regarding the shaft choice was quite personally interesting.  I had a gentleman reach out to me, a few months ago with a stash of shafts that were taking up space in his garage, still in the original cardboard case, from the 90's.   They are the fluted tip, with flutes a little longer than those found on the old flare tip or .395 tip Bullseye shafts.  Finding them in .355 tip was an absolute treat.

Love the looks of your new wand and I hope that it treats you amazingly well. 

I know that in the past, you and I have exchanged notes over at PutterTalk.com, but my memory is shot and I am lost to say just exactly what ideas we shared.  If you think of anything that we might need to cover, please reach out here, via PM and say, "HI!"

Be well and enjoy that lovely new stick!

LaMont in AZ

Yes I am sure we have gotten in touch. It could have been with my involvement with the Pinoygolfer forum back then as I think they made a group order with you.

Also, over a decade ago, I started a topic here called "The Fall of the Cameron Empire" when I predicted many independent putters makers will spring up and challenge the premium $300 milled putter market, as during the time of my post, Cameron had the monopoly on $300 putters. I think that post got deleted, but an archive copy of it was shared in other forums. But today, my prediction is reality. There are so many players now in the high end putter market. So you could have remembered me for that.

In 2011, I attended the Bettinardi Summer Social, flying all the way from the Philippines. Some guys recognized me and said "you're the one who wrote about the fall of the Cameron empire, I want to shake your hand."

Over the years, I had the privilge of getting custom one-of-a-kind putters by Bettinardi, Byron Morgan, and David Whitlam all of whom I have met in person and seen their facilities. So to get something from Clay Long is almost like icing in the cake.

So far, the putter has been very m good too!

• 1 year later...

Bumping this old thread because Mr. Long is still putting out some really nice stuff. He just finished some "active face" heads that have a metal insert with a hinge across the top. Not sure if it actually works to reduce backspin/skid but he knows what he's doing and nice to see some innovation in the boutique putter market. They look great. His shaping on the heads is excellent.

Screenshot_20230217-184621~2.png

Screenshots_2023-02-17-18-46-43.png

Edited by nova6868
  • Like 2

Also for anyone who wants to easily see his work the new Wilson Staff putters were designed by Clay. 

Obviously not the same as his work above but a good idea of what it would be like. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana