2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos Γ—

Will Sam Burns win a major in the next three years?

Kdaniel72

10 hours ago, KizIsTheMan said:

Didn't you hear, the Players Championship has replaced the US Open as a major so that Phil can finally complete the career grand slam and Rickie can be a major champion!

Great sarcasm however my post was meant in seriousness.Β  There are 12 majors over any three year period.

Glad to see he saw around Β those flared nostrils and drained the putt ! Β Would have loved to see Nesmith win though. Β 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7xΒ 

TM Sim2 max tour Β 16* GD Β ADHD 8xΒ 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5TΒ 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70Β 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125txΒ 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlockΒ 

3 wins in 12 months, #2 in Fed Ex, Defended the Valspar and top 10 in the world. Β I’m betting $100 at 4,300 odds. Β I guess that’s the terminology. I don’t gamble much.
Β 

Go Sammy B!Β 

• Like 1

Ping 425 Max 10.5*

Titleist Β Tis2 15*

Titleist Β Tis2 18*

Hybrid Ping 410 22*

Ping I525 5-PW Project X 5.5

Cleveland CBX 50*

Titleist Β Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pistol GripΒ 

On 10/5/2021 at 12:21 PM, phizzy30 said:

I disagree.Β  There are plenty of PGA Tour players that have the game to win a major but very few that have the right mind set and mental fortitude to actually pull it off.Β 

I know we have been trained to think it takes a special talent to win a major. Legends like David Toms, Michael Campbell, Geoff Ogilvy, Todd Hamilton, Ben Curtis, Rich Beam and Shaun Micheel have us buying into the idea that majors are reserved for the elite players only. I just happen to believe that on any given week a ham and egger can have there game together enough to be the best guy that week.

Β 

Majors are only different off the course.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, johnseg said:

I know we have been trained to think it takes a special talent to win a major. Legends like David Toms, Michael Campbell, Geoff Ogilvy, Todd Hamilton, Ben Curtis, Rich Beam and Shaun Micheel have us buying into the idea that majors are reserved for the elite players only. I just happen to believe that on any given week a ham and egger can have there game together enough to be the best guy that week.

Β 

Majors are only different off the course.

All the guys you mentioned won in '01-06.Β  I remember reading that in the early 2000's the integration of the solid core golf ball had an abnormal leveling of the field affect in the period you reference and that period had more obscure major winners than any stretch in history.Β  If you look over the last 5+ years there haven't been many if any of those types.Β  The lowest ranked recent major winner was outside the top 100 but also had 5 majors already.

Β 

It obviously will happen again at some point, forever tends to be a really long time.Β  But my prediction would be with the depth of talent at the top that's young and improving we're unlikely to see any major winners ranked outside the top 50 for awhile.Β  Β 

6 hours ago, Cincy_Ken said:

All the guys you mentioned won in '01-06.Β  I remember reading that in the early 2000's the integration of the solid core golf ball had an abnormal leveling of the field affect in the period you reference and that period had more obscure major winners than any stretch in history.Β  If you look over the last 5+ years there haven't been many if any of those types.Β  The lowest ranked recent major winner was outside the top 100 but also had 5 majors already.

Β 

It obviously will happen again at some point, forever tends to be a really long time.Β  But my prediction would be with the depth of talent at the top that's young and improving we're unlikely to see any major winners ranked outside the top 50 for awhile.Β  Β 

You could start at 2010 and see similar results. There are a bunch of one timers with 5 or fewer wins on tour. My only point being that majors aren't reserved for guy with 10+ wins. Anyone in the field on any given week. Look at a Gary Woodland. Do you consider Woodland a guy you have to watch out for week in and week out? I certainly don't. He gets a win here and there and one happened to be at a major. I would consider Jimmy Walker the same along with Dufner and Bradley. All good players that you aren't completely surprised when they are on the leaderboard but you don't expect them to be there when the field is announced.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, johnseg said:

You could start at 2010 and see similar results. There are a bunch of one timers with 5 or fewer wins on tour. My only point being that majors aren't reserved for guy with 10+ wins. Anyone in the field on any given week. Look at a Gary Woodland. Do you consider Woodland a guy you have to watch out for week in and week out? I certainly don't. He gets a win here and there and one happened to be at a major. I would consider Jimmy Walker the same along with Dufner and Bradley. All good players that you aren't completely surprised when they are on the leaderboard but you don't expect them to be there when the field is announced.

Good point with Gary.Β  Didn't seem like an obscure winner and was ranked 25th when he won but you're probably right that 10 years from now he'll seem like a more obscure winner when his resume is 6-8 wins with a major.Β  Danny Willet for sure will be looked at that way.Β  Some of the ones you mentioned though were outside the top 100; Ben Curtis' first ever PGA top 10 was his open win.Β  I still believe we're in an era where we're not likely to see the Ben Curtis, Michael Cambell level obscurities.

1 minute ago, Cincy_Ken said:

Good point with Gary.Β  Didn't seem like an obscure winner and was ranked 25th when he won but you're probably right that 10 years from now he'll seem like a more obscure winner when his resume is 6-8 wins with a major.Β  Danny Willet for sure will be looked at that way.Β  Some of the ones you mentioned though were outside the top 100; Ben Curtis' first ever PGA top 10 was his open win.Β  I still believe we're in an era where we're not likely to see the Ben Curtis, Michael Cambell level obscurities.

That is probably true but sometimes perception is different. Everybody considers Oostie a great player but...

PGA Tour WinsΒ  Β 1

Euro Tour WinsΒ  Β 9

(Open is in both so really 9 career wins - won't count Asian Tour, Sunshine Tour etc)

The guys out there are good players and anyone in the Top 50 could win any week. Would you really be surprised if Sam Burns, Cameron Smith, Tommy Fleetwood, or Kevin Kisner won a major? I would be surprised but not floored/blown away.

I predict he will win the 7th Major Championship, The Greg Norman Cup.

Β 

End of story! πŸ™‚

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-WΒ 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star TourΒ 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
β€œCheck your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...