62* or 64* wedge

hypergolf

Currently using 58* as the highest loft but thinking of adding a 62* or 64* wedge. Would really like something that will get the ball high up and stop on tight green especially over a hazard. Not really comfortable with opening my 58* to get more loft.

There are two parts to this question.

Part 1: Which is more suitable for gapping? Currently play 46*, 52* and 58*.

Part 2: Should I even consider 62* or 64* wedge? I heard it is extremely hard to put into practice. But same thing was said about 3 iron or blades when I was thinking of using them, which I have no issues with currently.

Thanks.

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

I carry a 62 degree and really love it. I use it for exactly what you’re describing. After PW I play a 51, 56, 62

Driver Taylormade Qi10

3W Ping G430 LST 5W Callaway Apex UW 

4i Mizuno Fli Hi 5-PW Ping Blueprint S

GW 50 Ping Glide 4.0 SW 56 Vokey S LW 62 Vokey M

Putters Kevin Burns 9306 Ball Titleist Pro V1

4 hours ago, hypergolf said:

Currently using 58* as the highest loft but thinking of adding a 62* or 64* wedge. Would really like something that will get the ball high up and stop on tight green especially over a hazard. Not really comfortable with opening my 58* to get more loft.

Part 2: Should I even consider 62* or 64* wedge? I heard it is extremely hard to put into practice. But same thing was said about 3 iron or blades when I was thinking of using them, which I have no issues with currently.

Thanks.

I like my 64* very much because (unlike a 58* or 60*) it is clear and obvious when to play the 64*. My set is 48*, 52*, 56*, 64*.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

6 hours ago, hypergolf said:

Thanks.

My highest loft was a zipcore 58 with full sole so wasn't great for opening up to play lob shots. Put a 62 low in last week but haven't had much cause to use it as yet. Have played a couple of nice shots with it but it's just nice to have that option plus the variety in the bag.

I have been playing various Titleist 64(s) for 8+ years and love the way they stop for me. I play on very fast elevated greens and short siding yourself and being above the hole is a no no. However, I'm able to save par A LOT thanks to this club and knowing when/when not to use it. I go 50, 56/58, and 64. Not going to lie, a 62/64 requires practice time to perfect. If you'll commit to practicing, go for it and enjoy!  

If you like your gapping with 46, 52, 58 then adding a either a 62 or 64 can be nice to have when short sided. I used a 62 SM6 M bent to 63 for a bit, and it was unbelievable when shortsided in bunkers - like silly good. No offence to some of the above posters, but I really don't like the idea of going GW, 56, and then 64. Reason being is 99% of golfers should not be using that much loft for fairway approaches. What happens is you start to get the ball going up the face and distance control gets inconsistent. Most handicap golfers will actually spin a 56 or 58 more than a 60+. If you are using it for a specific purpose greenside and you have room in the bag, it can be very useful. May I suggest trying a Hi Toe or similar. The extra room height of the club lowers launch and adds spin. For a specific purpose, the Hi Toe is unbelievable. 

I'd probably look at a 60 max, unless you can keep the gapping through the bag where you want it. I've been looking at ways to combine my hybrid and 3 iron but that would be to add a gap wedge, I feel like I do what I need with my 60 everywhere else. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

To me, what you're describing is the difference between a 58o and a 60o. I'm fond of my 60o as it can do anything: 100-yd moon-ball, smooth 80-yd knock-down, 50-yd pitch, 30-yd punch, baby chip, casual flop, bunkers of all kinds, etc.

I even tried going down to a 58o in the same exact specs but I didn't like it. I felt it performed a little more like a SW and didn't have quite the lob / flop abilities that made the 60o so incredibly versatile around the greens. 

I can't in good faith recommend a 62o or 64o club. Those are often a different animal. However, it's possible you'd do better with a 60 or a different bounce/sole than what you've got. Try the super-lofts if you like but they seem excessive. You can't possible need that. 

If I were you I might just bend the 58 back to 60 for awhile and try it. See if there's a noticeable difference. At least with that you'll retain some bounce in the process. 

Edited by MelloYello

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

17 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

To me, what you're describing is the difference between a 58o and a 60o. I'm fond of my 60o as it can do anything: 100-yd moon-ball, smooth 80-yd knock-down, 50-yd pitch, 30-yd punch, baby chip, casual flop, bunkers of all kinds, etc.

I even tried going down to a 58o in the same exact specs but I didn't like it. I felt it performed a little more like a SW and didn't have quite the lob / flop abilities that made the 60o so incredibly versatile around the greens. 

I can't in good faith recommend a 62o or 64o club. Those are often a different animal. However, it's possible you'd do better with a 60 or a different bounce/sole than what you've got. Try the super-lofts if you like but they seem excessive. You can't possible need that. 

If I were you I might just bend the 58 back to 60 for awhile and try it. See if there's a noticeable difference. At least with that you'll retain some bounce in the process. 

Exactly. I can hit the ball stupid high with my 60. No need for more loft. If you have the right grind you can turn it into an 80 degree wedge lol 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hypergolf said:

Part 2: Should I even consider 62* or 64* wedge? I heard it is extremely hard to put into practice ...

Maybe 1 in 20 golfers can benefit from a LW with loft > 60*. You might borrow a 62* or so to see if you are among the chosen few.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

• 2 months later...

After aome testing, I am about to go with that exact same set-up for my home course (46, 52, 58, 64). It's a short tight course with small, firm, fast greens and I like the 64 degree for when I get short-sided (and which happens enough for it to be worth a club).

For more traditional courses, I plan on subbing out the 64 for a 7 wood or 3 hybrid.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

On 5/17/2021 at 10:40 PM, hypergolf said:

Thanks.

64* because unlike a 58* or 60*, it is obvious when to use the 64*.  The 64* does one thing, which is produce shots that stop where the ball lands.

It's a a very useful loft for playing 30 to 70 yard shots.

For your bag I would go 46*, 52*, 56* and 64*

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I play a 50, 56, 62 set up. I use the 62 primarily inside 50 yards, and can stretch it to 90 if needed. I dont find the 62 difficult to use at all, but I did use a 60 for years.  

I spent some time this week with a 64, practicing and playing. The 64 to me is a different animal, requiring perfect technique. Its fun when your game is on, but it quickly exposes small issues in your game when you are off. My opinion would be to go slow, try a 62 first, and if it isn't enough loft for you, then try a 64. 

I played similar gaps as you before.  48/53/58.  I recently threw in a 62 for a recent tournament.  I like to lay back in the 100-130 range of the green.  This course made me choose between laying further back or play inside of my comfort range.   The 62 came in very handy as a reliable 60 and 85 yard club, and it was clutch around the smallish hard elevated greens.  I don't see it leaving the bag now.  Worst case you will have an option to throw into the bag when playing a course where it will see lots of use.

You didn't plan to fail, you failed to plan!

SIM/9*/UST Elements Platinum
M5/15*/Kai'li 70s//M5/19*/Kai'li 70s
Titleist u500 3/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4

SUB 70 649 MB Raw 4-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Mizuno t20 Raw 51*/56*/61*/KBS Tour 120 s
Bastain Milled BM-009 Long Neck Proto

I played a 62 for years and loved it (after some experimentation with a 64 that didn't go so well).

The caveat here is anything over 60 (58 really) is just not meant to be hit full, and I think that's where most people get turned off without even truly realizing why.  They are great for little pitches and chips and some approach shots but if you're aping a super lob, you're just doing it wrong.  The distance control is very unreliable at that loft.  You'll try to give it a little extra and it just won't go any farther, only higher.

Additionally, something to keep in mind is once you get that lofted the gapping is going to be a little funky.  Instinctively, you're going to want the 64 to keep your spreads at 6, but in the real world that could actually end up creating too big of a gap behind the 58.

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

Oh no... I tired a 64 was useless

I run 52 and 60 works great

drop the 58 for a 60

Now for a Thread jack.... we are now talkin why in the hell you aren't comfortable opening up your 58!  Practice that ish stat!!!  It's so important unless you're fine shooting in the 90s...  It's not hard at all cause you aint gotta open it to a full lob.... which aint hard either.... just open it the smallest amount you can and don't lean forward and that ball will pop right up.... such a useful technique when you need to take a little speed off or your just out of range of the green with a chip

Can't figure how to like my own posts

On 5/18/2021 at 12:40 AM, hypergolf said:

Not really comfortable with opening my 58* to get more loft.

How much more loft do you need? If you get the ball up, a steep descent angle will help stop the ball (works with spin).

A side story, bear with me on this... About 12 years ago, one of the most popular wedge models was the Cleveland CG14. The early ones had the old-style grooves that can't be used after 2024! So, along with the 50, 54 and 58 I played, I was able to collect for about $50 each one wedge for all the loft options CG14 had. I have the 64* that I have hit on occasion. While it's a fun club to hit, I don't see much it could do for me that my 58* can't do. For longer than 30 yards, the 64* was tough to control.

If you're having loft launch problems with a 58*, are you playing a ball that has a urethane or soft ionomer cover? Balls with these covers grab better on the wedge face and improve launch.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |