Thoughts On Getting Paired Up With Randoms?

Just now, larrybud said:

Maybe, but that's also the chance you take when going out as a single. 

I will say, for someone who has played a lot of "single" golf, I can count on maybe 1 hand bad experiences that I've had. The vast majority are positive, and I've met some tremendous characters being paired up with randoms. I can only remember 1 time where one of the guys (out of the 3) didn't want me in his group (as I heard vocally his displeasure). Who knows, maybe I was paired with the OP!

His two buddies were cool, but the 3rd guy was a DB.

I mean I try to make the best of it but being paired up with strangers isn't my cup of tea either.  I am not a social person though.  I am not awkward socially or anything like that, I am just quiet and would rather not make small talk while sharing a cart with a stranger.

I don't think it hurts to make the request to keep a group together or not have a single added.  I also don't think a course has to accommodate that request either.  There are ways to politely deny it.  "We will do what we can for you but we have been incredibly busy and most times we have a full tee-sheet."  At least the course is letting you down easy.  If they let you know when you book you can just pass and stick to the range or go somewhere else.  Though I have run into places that won't let you hit on the range unless you are playing.  Which does suck if you are on vacation and need to keep loose or just need to hit a bucket to stay in the groove so to speak.  One place in Florida had $10 small buckets for non-playing people.  I thought that was a rip-off given they were badly beat range balls and the range was wet and grown up.

I don't particularly like it when people gush over my playing.  And I play to a 14, there should be absolutely nothing to gush over.  I screwed around and made a birdie on a short par four playing with a stranger as a two some.  Dude was beside himself.  I guess he had never seen it before or something.  It was awkward.  Apparently he missed the bogeys and doubles and drops I had most of the round.

I could see a practice round being really weird.  I played yesterday afternoon and nobody needed to be witness to it.  I embarrassed myself with no one around I was so bad.  But at the same time I am not going to a resort course and dropping $125 to play two balls and work on my iron shots either.  I try to do that on the range if it is available.  Practice is still a foreign concept some places.  The range is only there for warming up before a round.

I have no problem with people asking to be left by themselves, but I have no problem with the course saying no.

When my wife plays, she doesn't like to play with strangers. Since we play at off times, this request is usually granted by the course. But 3 or 4 times we were told no because they were so busy. While she was nervous (I still don't know why, she's better than many of them!), she did great, and in fact, we played with these two other guys who couldn't have been nicer. She always gives them "I'm a new golfer" routine (which at this point, she really isn't), and she's a blast to play with. Came out of the box with a solid par on the first hole too.

I think she saw the other side of this. One time we were paired up, a twosome in front of us made a complete a** out of themselves because they wanted to be alone (and in all fairness, the a** was the parent, not the kid). It was ridiculous.

• Like 1

My two cents...most people are nice and just want to have a good time.  With that being said, I swear every time I get paired up with random folks at least one of them has only played golf about twice.  Further, these guys so rarely hit greens they never think to fix their pitch-marks and they never have a ball marker.  Seriously, why does no one ever have a ball marker?  I think it's time to leave the muni-life behind...

On 7/19/2021 at 2:54 PM, akronswitness said:

I dont want to entertain strangers and tell them my life story about who I am, where Im from, what I do for a living, ect when Im on vacation.

Then don't.  When I get paired up with people, I do not speak to them beyond the golf.  "Would you like me to mark my ball?"   etc.  We may exchange names at the start of the round, but that's about it.  Most people are focused on their golf and do not start talking about random things.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 2:54 PM, akronswitness said:

Sometimes I golf to have a practice round and work out the kinks in my swing. Its hard to just have a practice round when you have to keep pace with the other people in your group and not slow them down. Theres some sort of weird pressure playing with randoms that you have to play well, making practice/hitting bad shots for the sake of science extremely hard.

If you want to golf alone, then pay for all 4 tee times.  Also, what do you mean by "practice round"?  If you want to play several balls, for example, you need to join a private club that has a fraction of the foot traffic.  Yuo don't get to slow up other people.   You seem to have a basic lack of understanding of business and economics.   A public course is not your private practice ground.   Some people!

• Like 2

I've played with plenty of randoms with no issues but something new happened to me over the past few months that I thought would never happen ..... being forced to share a golf cart with a random player. Is that where maybe you the draw line?

Case #1: Booked and paid a Golf Now 18 holes with a cart, get there only to be informed that there is an extra $15 fee to have your own cart. I was a little shocked but all 4 of us had fun playing and my golf cart random was a good player, no issues.

Case #2: Another Golf Now tee time, paired with a random and only a twosome for that tee time. Clubhouse forces me to be in a cart with him. The random even incredulously asks the clubhouse why I can't have my own cart since there are plenty sitting there waiting to be used. The guy turns out to super cool, threw me a couple beers, played some decent golf and had fun. No issues.

I know the goal of the golf course is to maximize profit, but pairing randoms with other randoms in the same cart when there are plenty of carts available might be a little ridiculous lol.

18 minutes ago, Scrubby said:

Case #1: Booked and paid a Golf Now 18 holes with a cart, get there only to be informed that there is an extra $15 fee to have your own cart. I was a little shocked but all 4 of us had fun playing and my golf cart random was a good player, no issues.

You should have been here a month ago. There was a guy that went on a whole rant about how the course didn't warn him before he came to play that there would be an additional fee if he didn't want to share a cart. He was very upset.

It sort of ended up turning out like this thread oddly enough...

• Haha 1

I usually play solo or with 1 or 2 friends depending if they can play the same days as me so I'm usually paired up with randoms. I've honestly have had some great experiences with it. Some have helped me navigate a new golf course for me. I haven't really paired up with anyone that was overly annoying this past year. I played a few solo rounds this year as well but it's more fun to play with people as you can crack and joke here or there about the group in front or behind you or even laugh at your own mistake as long as you don't take it personally.

So cart fee...

I book as a single in a cart and let's say it is $50 for the round and $10 for the cart.

Me and my buddy book as a twosome and it is $100 for the round but now $20 for the cart (total obviously).  Still using one cart.

Wife wants to ride they charge her (some places have had a riding fee where you pay the cart rate, others said I had to buy the round for her too even though she wasn't playing)  Wife stays in car, no charge.

Is the cart fee covering the cart?  Does a second person in same cart double the expense of the cart for the course?

I never learned that in my Golf Course Management class but did learn that concrete cart paths wear out golf cart tires faster than asphalt.

14 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

You should have been here a month ago. There was a guy that went on a whole rant about how the course didn't warn him before he came to play that there would be an additional fee if he didn't want to share a cart. He was very upset.

It sort of ended up turning out like this thread oddly enough...

It seems to be new thing that courses are doing, pairing 2 randoms together in the same golf cart.

I guess they want to minimize golf cart gas/electric expense as much as possible, but pace of play can be negatively affected.

I played a fancy TPC course last weekend, and I was annoyed that 1. they made me share a cart, and 2. the fee for my own cart was an additional $50. 

Round was fun nonetheless though

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

52 minutes ago, Scrubby said:

It seems to be new thing that courses are doing, pairing 2 randoms together in the same golf cart.

I guess they want to minimize golf cart gas/electric expense as much as possible, but pace of play can be negatively affected.

The wear and tear a golf cart causes to the course is huge compared to walking golfers. There was some good articles and studies that came out mid covid when groups were going off in 4 carts per foursome about the course maintenance issues it was causing. Effectively double the carts was nearly the same damage as having double the rounds. 

I not saying this is the only reason you are seeing a sharing trend, but for many courses it would be part of it.

Edited by 2bGood

Some of the best rounds of golf I've ever played are being paired with groups I didn't previously know and have even made some regular playing partners this way. If it's that big of a deal just join a private club. If you're routinely paying $125+ green fees it probably saves you money long term anyway.

Edited by doobz

19 hours ago, akronswitness said:

Did you miss my previous 5 posts where I said Ive played golf with randoms eight of the last ten rounds Ive played or did you just gloss over that part to cherry pick something to try and prove your point.

You started the thread, but failed, for clarification purposes, to write a thesis and inform readers we need to read all your subsequent posts to get a better more articulate picture of a poor communication. 

Stating a conditional fact, (playing as a single, which we all do) in no way covers up the subject of your rant.  Oh, and I am not here to bicker.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

2 hours ago, david.c.w said:

The irony is so thick....

Look man, I get your rant.  Sometimes you want to play without any random folks.  We all like that sometimes.  But it is very hard to listen to a rant like this when you come later and say "I wont pay for that membership, that is too much" and "I have kids so I can only play in the premium slots".

Most here think your rant is ridiculous and have offered some suggestions that you seem to be not interested in.

• Find another friend to play with
  • Join a private club
  • Play when there is less demand
  • Suck it up

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion and you are free to rant, but you have turned it into 5 pages of an argument with almost everyone against you.  At some point you need to think that maybe your rant was not well received, and your repetitive demands of 5 min tee times and complaints of $125 fees are not helping.

That would be because surprisingly enough, not a single one of the extremely intelligent posters that decided to comment actually answered the original question. Ive mentioned the original question about 4x now and still very few have answered it. They decided to go on rants against me against my original post. I even stated in the first line of my OP that I was about to go on a rant, and im sure your smart enough to figure out the difference between a well rounded post and a emotionally driven rant is--but then again who knows at this point.

The original question was: If it was a option would you prefer to get matched up with randoms or play with just your group. And then I stated my ranting reasons for wanting a option to just play with my own group. Not overly difficult until a bunch of people tried to take me to church over business and economics of a golf course and essentially complain about the details of my OP without ever getting around to answering the dam question. So I apologize for the desire to defend myself a bit over a rant post.

My points still remain. You all put way too much stock into giving sympathy for the financial earnings of a golf course who earn a lot more money that you think they do. I had to pay a $50 rider fee for my wife for crying out loud in Florida just so she could sit next to me in the cart and twiddle her fingers for 4 hours--and there was STILL 3 other guys in our group. Thats free money for the course for zero reason. Im not over here crying about the financial support of golf courses who have raked me over the coals enough in my life like some of you others are. These courses also have a lot more flexibility that you think they do. Not every single tee time is filled every single day. I understand if the course is jam packed and the clubhouse tells you sorry but we are swamped so we have to pair you up, but more times than not this year the course isnt overly crowded and they could have let us off individually with no hindrance to any other golfers.

My whole OP was about this year more than previous, courses Ive been to (your typical midwest neighborhood course) have been pairing people up when they never used to because in the 4 months Ive been paired up more times than I have been in the past 5 years at our local public courses. Again, my original question was 1) What is your feelings on getting paired with randoms and 2) Would you prefer to play with just your group if it was a option. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, akronswitness said:

That would be because surprisingly enough, not a single one of the extremely intelligent posters that decided to comment actually answered the original question. Ive mentioned the original question about 4x now and still very few have answered it. They decided to go on rants against me against my original post. I even stated in the first line of my OP that I was about to go on a rant, and im sure your smart enough to figure out the difference between a well rounded post and a emotionally driven rant is--but then again who knows at this point.

The original question was: If it was a option would you prefer to get matched up with randoms or play with just your group. And then I stated my ranting reasons for wanting a option to just play with my own group. Not overly difficult until a bunch of people tried to take me to church over business and economics of a golf course and essentially complain about the details of my OP without ever getting around to answering the dam question. So I apologize for the desire to defend myself a bit over a rant post.

My points still remain. You all put way too much stock into giving sympathy for the financial earnings of a golf course who earn a lot more money that you think they do. I had to pay a $50 rider fee for my wife for crying out loud in Florida just so she could sit next to me in the cart and twiddle her fingers for 4 hours--and there was STILL 3 other guys in our group. Thats free money for the course for zero reason. Im not over here crying about the financial support of golf courses who have raked me over the coals enough in my life like some of you others are. These courses also have a lot more flexibility that you think they do. Not every single tee time is filled every single day. I understand if the course is jam packed and the clubhouse tells you sorry but we are swamped so we have to pair you up, but more times than not this year the course isnt overly crowded and they could have let us off individually with no hindrance to any other golfers.

My whole OP was about this year more than previous, courses Ive been to (your typical midwest neighborhood course) have been pairing people up when they never used to because in the 4 months Ive been paired up more times than I have been in the past 5 years at our local public courses. Again, my original question was 1) What is your feelings on getting paired with randoms and 2) Would you prefer to play with just your group if it was a option. 

There is without a doubt a private club in your area that you can join for less than $600/mo after initiation which you'll come out ahead on if you play like >4 times a month. Just try to not be as insufferable to everyone there if you can.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, doobz said:

There is without a doubt a private club in your area that you can join for less than $600/mo after initiation which you'll come out ahead on if you play like >4 times a month. Just try to not be as insufferable to everyone there if you can.

Thats the problem, per month. Thats close to $4k-4.5k for the year for a course that probably costs anywhere from $55-75 per round. You would have to play 60-85 rounds of golf per year just to break even for the cost of the membership. I probably play 25x per year. A membership makes no sense for me to buy at their cost. I dont know how anybody on this earth has the time to play 85+ rounds of golf per year unless your retired.

If you think a person asking to play with the group they came with is insufferable.....whewww.....your in for a real doosie in other areas of your life.

Edited by akronswitness
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, akronswitness said:

Thats the problem, per month. Thats close to $4k-4.5k for the year for a course that probably costs anywhere from $55-75 per round. You would have to play 60-85 rounds of golf per year just to break even for the cost of the membership. I probably play 25x per year. A membership makes no sense for me to buy at their cost.

If you think a person asking to play with the group they came with is insufferable.....whewww.....your in for a real doosie in other areas of your life.

If you can't understand the concept of paying for convenience I believe it's you who is in for the "doosie". 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, akronswitness said:

Thats the problem, per month. Thats close to $4k-4.5k for the year for a course that probably costs anywhere from $55-75 per round. You would have to play 60-85 rounds of golf per year just to break even for the cost of the membership. I probably play 25x per year. A membership makes no sense for me to buy at their cost. I dont know how anybody on this earth has the time to play 85+ rounds of golf per year unless your retired.

Sounds like you have champagne tastes on a beer budget. 

If you want more freedom on the tee sheet, typically private clubs are your best option and this may mean you pay more per round. It is all about what is valuable to you. 

This thread has been interesting to follow as you seem to have the challenging combination of a high level of entitlement and a very low level of self awareness. (at-least as demonstrated in this thread).

The vast majority of people in this thread have pointed out that your expectations are unrealistic. But you double down and tell us we all don't know what we are talking about and you deserve what you want. Okay.🤷‍♂️

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, akronswitness said:

This is just a guess but I can see this happening.

Average muni monday morning ops meeting during covid.

Head dude - "Guys, we are getting hammered these past few weeks and are having to turn folks away.  We need to make sure we are filling out foursomes and pairing people up so we can get everyone out."

So head golf dude just created/dictated policy heard and to be followed by all the HS kids and retired part time guys taking down tee times.  Fill foursomes.  That's all they heard.

So when things have slowed down.  And they have here a great deal.  They are still following marching orders to fill foursomes.

So you call for a tee time and ask what is the earliest you can get out.  They stick you in that threesome to fill it out when there might be an opening later in the day.

I don't think it hurts to ask.  I don't think the course should get rude about the request.  I wouldn't come to expect that they would ever entertain it with a full tee sheet.  Go early or go twilight or go during the middle of the day mid-week if you want that flexibility.

1) I don't like being paired up.

2) That would be my preference.

Sometimes if there is another twosome that is behind or ahead and we are all waiting we will agree to create a foursome.  So long as both agree we will.  It is super frustrating (to me anyway) to play with someone who is constantly in their pocket or in the weeds and killing the flow.  I am sure I have been that guy as well and truthfully, I don't want to be the reason that someone doesn't enjoy their round either.

23 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

Sounds like you have champagne tastes on a beer budget. 

If you want more freedom on the tee sheet, typically private clubs are your best option and this may mean you pay more per round. It is all about what is valuable to you. 

This thread has been interesting to follow as you seem to have the challenging combination of a high level of entitlement and a very low level of self awareness. (at-least as demonstrated in the thread).

The vast majority of people in this thread have pointed out that you expectations are unrealistic. But you double down and tell us we all don't know what we are talking about and you deserve what you want. Okay.🤷‍♂️

Sounds like I dont want to pay $4k a year to only play $1k worth of golf. 

1) Quit being dramatic. Anybody who pays for a service a business provides is entitled to something. Ive spent many of my working years going above and beyond for the customer even if they didnt ask me to because it provides them with a great experience and a chance to earn their money again in the future--even at my own personal time/cost. Golf courses that rule with a iron fist and act like they are doing you a favor by letting you play there I have no tolerance for.

2) The expectations are not unrealistic on the courses Im referring to. Again, you assume Im talking about CC golf and Im talking about the neighborhood course. Ive been told courses only do 10 min splits with finite numbers in a day, Im here to tell you thats not true from personal experience. These courses have wiggle room. No course Im referring to is booked 4 people per time slot the entire day every day. There are a lot of gaps in play. Even a 'Hey, if you want to wait another 30min we will have a open slot for you to go out without being paried up' would be nice. 

Bonus) Im not asking the golf course to serve me a 5 course meal because I asked for it or a discount because its not perfect weather conditions. Im asking for the option, on occasion, to not get paired up if they have the room. Lets not be overly dramatic about what Im asking for.

Edited by akronswitness
  • Haha 2

Fishing is a great solo hobby. Or you can do it with friends. Best part is if you have the boat you can control who is on it. Same thing if you own a golf course. If you don't then your options are limited.

To the OP yeah. I think that paying off a 4th spot could be a viable paid option. I.e. you and 2 buddies can pay to fill the 4th spot. A 3 some is not much different than a 4some with regard to pace of play. Just don't expect to play through. I think a golf course could make that a stated policy without too much griping.

Beyond that, I think that if you show up to a busy course expect to be paired up. If playing a new course I highly prefer to be paired up. Getting someone with some course knowledge generally makes the day much more fun. No matter what their attitude is like. Plus golf is a competition (if it was just a hobby where I didn't care about winning, I would have went back to fishing a long time ago). I enjoy being paired with players better than me, I can watch their approach to the game as well as maybe learn something. Further if you are going to play competitive golf, getting used to playing with strangers is really important.

56 minutes ago, akronswitness said:

The original question was: If it was a option would you prefer to get matched up with randoms or play with just your group. And then I stated my ranting reasons for wanting a option to just play with my own group.

I'll try.

To your original question, I think most of us would prefer to play in our own group if allowed to by the golf course.

The bolded part is the crux of the issue. The course makes the rules. If they say you're getting paired up, you get paired up.

If you really want to play in your own group, you could always go to St Andrews. When we went we were booked as a twosome on the Old Course and the starter asked us if we were OK having others join our time. We could have said no and gone out as a twosome. Since St Andrews doesn't need the money they can have that policy. Most courses can't afford it.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I understand your question, and yes, it is ok to prefer not being paired up with someone.  If that is your rant then fine, many will agree, heck I agree.  But that does not mean the course will let you do it.  If there is space, sure, but as everyone has said, it is a request by you.  You cannot make it a demand.  If you don't like it, find somewhere else to play.  If you cant find somewhere else to play who will not pair you up, then maybe, just maybe, you are looking for something that does not exist.

37 minutes ago, akronswitness said:

Thats the problem, per month. Thats close to $4k-4.5k for the year for a course that probably costs anywhere from $55-75 per round. You would have to play 60-85 rounds of golf per year just to break even for the cost of the membership.

Private clubs or memberships or whatever are not about the cost.  It is about meeting folks, playing in leagues or tournaments, and being able to play with just your wife or kid without being paired up.

Also, you many want to delete this comment before you get run over:  "Anybody who pays for a service a business provides is entitled to something".  

You are entitled to play golf.  Not act like you own the place.

13 minutes ago, akronswitness said:

1) Quit being dramatic. Anybody who pays for a service a business provides is entitled to something. Ive spent many of my working years going above and beyond for the customer even if they didnt ask me to because it provides them with a great experience and a chance to earn their money again in the future--even at my own personal time/cost. Golf courses that rule with a iron fist and act like they are doing you a favor by letting you play there I have no tolerance for.

2) The expectations are not unrealistic on the courses Im referring to. Again, you assume Im talking about CC golf and Im talking about the neighborhood course. Ive been told courses only do 10 min splits with finite numbers in a day, Im here to tell you thats not true from personal experience. These courses have wiggle room. No course Im referring to is booked 4 people per time slot the entire day every day. There are a lot of gaps in play. Even a 'Hey, if you want to wait another 30min we will have a open slot for you to go out without being paried up' would be nice. 

Bonus) Im not asking the golf course to serve me a 5 course meal because I asked for it or a discount because its not perfect weather conditions. Im asking for the option, on occasion, to not get paired up if they have the room. Lets not be overly dramatic about what Im asking for.

Sounds to me like you want to pay $1K a year for golf but be treated like you pay $10K. Short of being wildly anti-social, I don't even understand what the big deal is. You already have something in common with the folks you're paired with, which is that you're playing golf. Might even make a friend or two if you weren't so closed minded.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

I understand your question, and yes, it is ok to prefer not being paired up with someone.  If that is your rant then fine, many will agree, heck I agree.  But that does not mean the course will let you do it.  If there is space, sure, but as everyone has said, it is a request by you.  You cannot make it a demand.  If you don't like it, find somewhere else to play.  If you cant find somewhere else to play who will not pair you up, then maybe, just maybe, you are looking for something that does not exist.

Private clubs or memberships or whatever are not about the cost.  It is about meeting folks, playing in leagues or tournaments, and being able to play with just your wife or kid without being paired up.

Also, you many want to delete this comment before you get run over:  "Anybody who pays for a service a business provides is entitled to something".  

You are entitled to play golf.  Not act like you own the place.

Im not acting like its my own place, Im putting in a simple request to ***ON OCCASION*** not be paired up **IF THE COURSE HAS THE ROOM**

Im not asking for this every time I go out, but now we are just running in circles. I understand if the course is swamped and cant make it happen, no crap, but at the same time I expect the course to give the option IF they have some open times available to go out independently and not just automatically pair you up in hopes that some random group will walk into their clubhouse asking for open tee times.

47 minutes ago, akronswitness said:

2) The expectations are not unrealistic on the courses Im referring to. Again, you assume Im talking about CC golf and Im talking about the neighborhood course. Ive been told courses only do 10 min splits with finite numbers in a day, Im here to tell you thats not true from personal experience. These courses have wiggle room. No course Im referring to is booked 4 people per time slot the entire day every day. There are a lot of gaps in play. 

Bonus) Im not asking the golf course to serve me a 5 course meal because I asked for it or a discount because its not perfect weather conditions. Im asking for the option, on occasion, to not get paired up. Lets not be overly dramatic about what Im asking for.

1) You are entitled to what you paid for. Nothing more. You paid for 3 tee times - you got 3 tee times. You don't deserve 4 times.

2) I used to own a "neighbourhood" golf course. We always tried to get people out as close to the time as they wanted. That meant filling foursomes in prime-times (weekend mornings mostly). In slow times we could be flexible. From what I have seen the last year golf courses are just way busier and there are not as many slow times. I admit we treated our  loyal customers better. Our loyal customers golfed 3 or 4 times a week. If your threesome (who pops by the course once a month) was in a primetime and regular wanted to play at that time, we would not think twice about adding the single.

Bonus) What you asking for is paying for 1,2 or 3 course meal but expecting a 4 course meal. Your comment that you want to be able to go out as single (in a spot for 4 golfers) so you can practice is beyond silly. That is like paying for a 1 appetisers and expecting they will give you a free drink, main course and apple pie. 😀

Edited by 2bGood

To answer your questions-

If I go out as a single, I would prefer to be paired with other playing partners. 

If I go out as a twosome and the course is slow, I would prefer to be paired with other playing partners.  If the course is wide open or I am going out as a threesome, I am indifferent to being paired with other playing partners.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

1) You are entitled to what you paid for. Nothing more. You paid for 3 tee times - you got 3 tee times. You don't deserve 4 times.

2) I used to own a "neighbourhood" golf course. We always tried to get people out as close to the time as they wanted. That meant filling foursomes in prime-times (weekend mornings mostly). In slow times we could be flexible. From what I have seen the last year golf courses are just way busier and there are not as many slow times. I admit we treated our  loyal customers better. Our loyal customers golfed 3 or 4 times a week. If your threesome (who pops but the course once a month) was in a primetime and regular wanted to play at that time we would not think twice about added the single.

Bonus) What you asking for is paying for 1,2 or 3 course meal but expecting a 4 course meal. Your comment that you want to be able to go out as single (in a spot for 4 golfers) so you can practice is beyond silly. That is like paying for a 1 appetisers and expecting they will give you a free drink, main course and apple pie. 😀

When they called and said "I would like a tee time for 10:15" was your response "We can get you off with another group at 10:15 but if you would not like to be paired up we can get a twosome off at Noon, what works better for you?"

Because again, no local run of the mill course is booked every 10 mins with a 4some every single day.

Edited by akronswitness
  • Haha 1

This thread is absolutely hilarous. In public golf, if you book less than a foursome, EXPECT to be paired up with other golfers. If you end up getting to play with just your group then consider that a lucky day. Especially with the golf boom that has happened since COVID.

I play by myself all of the time (book as a single). I always expect to be paired up and if I am riding because it is too hot then I expect to have to ride with a random as well. If it shakes out in the way that I am the only one riding or there is a twosome riding and I get lucky then great, but I don't EXPECT it. 

Seems like common sense to me.

• Like 1