PXG Pricing Model

mosesgolf

I bought Gen 3 P model around 18 months ago paying full price. I didn't like them so I returned them. PXG kind of messed up not getting my refund in a timely manner so they waived the 10% restocking fee. When they offered their discount several weeks back, I bought a set of Gen 2 Player irons 4-PW. I paid a slightly higher price, $109 per iron, I called for a refund of the difference. They would not do that but did give me a credit that I used to buy a Gap wedge for basically just the price of shipping. Very fair in my mind.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, shaolingolfer said:

The Gen4 irons are super nice, have mine over 2 months now.  I paid for 2 iron fittings before I went to the PXG fitting and the Gen 4 P are the best for my swing, worth every penny.

Did you hit the gen 3 irons?  They are half the price, and it doesn't seem like there is any performance or feel difference(they strengthen loft 1* to get more distance on trackman).

I think the biggest difference between the gen 4 and gen 3 is PXG's actual costs.  They removed toe weights from the woods, and went from 2 materials in the head to 1.  Also removed tungsten weights on the high toe.  I could see the factory adjustable weight in the sole helping with fitting, but most people will go standard.  I used to work as a mech engineer, so "improvements" in our book was same quality at a lower cost.    

Just curious as i hit both and the gen 3s worked better for me (gen 4s seem to spin less, which i don't need).  I liked the Gen 4 woods and hybrids, but hated the crown.  The performance was so close the looks made the decision.     

13 minutes ago, NorCal678 said:

Did you hit the gen 3 irons?  They are half the price, and it doesn't seem like there is any performance or feel difference(they strengthen loft 1* to get more distance on trackman).

I think the biggest difference between the gen 4 and gen 3 is PXG's actual costs.  They removed toe weights from the woods, and went from 2 materials in the head to 1.  Also removed tungsten weights on the high toe.  I could see the factory adjustable weight in the sole helping with fitting, but most people will go standard.  I used to work as a mech engineer, so "improvements" in our book was same quality at a lower cost.    

Just curious as i hit both and the gen 3s worked better for me (gen 4s seem to spin less, which i don't need).  I liked the Gen 4 woods and hybrids, but hated the crown.  The performance was so close the looks made the decision.     

Had several sets of the Gen3 irons felt too mushy to me

3 hours ago, NorCal678 said:

Yes. I hit the Gen 3 also, very nice irons.  But when the fitter put the Gen 4 in my hands and after a few shots I know this is the one.  I am getting better and better ball speed and with better spin, able to really control the flight and distance. 

When I ordered the iron, it was $275 a club and I only play 6 iron to PW (5 Irons).  It cost more for sure but it worth the extra $ to me.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.

Callaway Paradym TD 15, Autoflex 505X.

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym AI Smoke HL 8 hybrid, Ventus 8S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 8 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

12 hours ago, shaolingolfer said:

Yes. I hit the Gen 3 also, very nice irons.  But when the fitter put the Gen 4 in my hands and after a few shots I know this is the one.  I am getting better and better ball speed and with better spin, able to really control the flight and distance. 

When I ordered the iron, it was $275 a club and I only play 6 iron to PW (5 Irons).  It cost more for sure but it worth the extra $ to me.

This is exactly it.

I was getting consistently less spin on the Gen 4's, and as a higher handicap player that's exactly what I was looking for.  

I think I got quoted for $1700 for any 7 clubs (from 4-G, I went with 5-G).

My one complaint is the fact they change the loft to be so aggressive on the 0311XP's that I got. My PW is 42 degrees....thankfully the Gap is 48. So I can go with my wedges for 52 and 56.  But jeez, what the hell is up with manufactures going so strong on their de-lofting?!? 

Edited by Thats

38 minutes ago, Thats said:

This is exactly it.

I was getting consistently less spin on the Gen 4's, and as a higher handicap player that's exactly what I was looking for.  

I think I got quoted for $1700 for any 7 clubs (from 4-G, I went with 5-G).

My one complaint is the fact they change the loft to be so aggressive on the 0311XP's that I got. My PW is 42 degrees....thankfully the Gap is 48. So I can go with my wedges for 52 and 56.  But jeez, what the hell is up with manufactures going so strong on their de-lofting?!? 

my buddy who just got one is THRILLED that his new 0311P irons go '15yds' further than his old one. .. smh

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, larciel said:

my buddy who just got one is THRILLED that his new 0311P irons go '15yds' further than his old one. .. smh

People don't understand it.

I currently game JPX 900 Forged, and all my friends play GI irons of some sort.

They always talked s*** about how I was always 1-2 clubs below them and "wow you're really weak." I never even bothered to explain how lofts work, it's not worth the fight. But now I'll be right with them since I got the XPs.  

f*** my ego, we're going with what's best for my game!

It is sad to see the company shifted direction like this. IMO, this is not really about Bob. This is about a few guys in the management rank who doesn't really have a clue of what they are doing and got greedy in the process. However, the way they ditched the people who helped them got to where they are right now and how they treated their partners is jut wrong on so many levels. 

However, I did not ever recall Bob saying that his goal is to make it affordable in the future. If anything, I remember one of their promises is NEVER to put their older model on sale because they will not roll out a new model unless they can produce something better than the previous model.

Edited by Yarra

9 hours ago, Yarra said:

It is sad to see the company shifted direction like this. IMO, this is not really about Bob. This is about a few guys in the management rank who doesn't really have a clue of what they are doing and got greedy in the process. However, the way they ditched the people who helped them got to where they are right now and how they treated their partners is jut wrong on so many levels. 

However, I did not ever recall Bob saying that his goal is to make it affordable in the future. If anything, I remember one of their promises is NEVER to put their older model on sale because they will not roll out a new model unless they can produce something better than the previous model.

So selling off older models at a discount, and discounting the current model leading up to a new product release is "clueless" and "greedy"? This is literally what just about every company does. 

They're still profiting off of clubs 2 generations old, pulling more people into the brand, etc. Giving folks like myself a chance to buy the clubs and try them out. And guess what? I firmly believe they're the best irons made in terms of forgiveness and playability while keeping the look of a players iron. Irons were so good, I bought the driver. Now I'm thinking about trying the wedges, why? Because my Dad did the same as me, got irons, then picked up an 0311 forged wedge. He loves it. My driver, awesome, Dad bought one of those too, he loves his. Now I'm looking to test out their fairways and hybrids.

I'm willing to bet there are some folks out there who bought these irons on sale and didn't like them, however, I'm willing to bet there's even more just like myself, who are now adding even more PXG clubs to their bag.

Draw any conclusion you want, but I believe this strategy is working. I used to rarely see PXG clubs out and about. Now i'm seeing more and more of them. They are gaining a lot of traction.

Here's the truth, and it's this simple. PXG is polarizing. There's a group of folks that can't stand that the clubs cost so much money for the first few years, so they hate the brand and always will. Then there's the other side, those that bought PXG to be members of the exclusive club and they're mad that the kids from across the tracks can buy them now, so they feel like their elite clubs are now watered down and they've lost their status. Believe it or not, there are a lot of folks in these outer groups. Don't believe me, read any PXG thread and see where it leads. The rest of us are now getting a chance to try these clubs out, and for me, I'm finding out that they are absolutely fantastic.

Edited by pollock21
  • Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4
Fairway: TSi2 3 & 5 PX RDX Black 6.5
Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 3 4-P
Wedges: Zipcore Tour Rack 50/54/60
Putter: 2021 Ping Tyne CS

17 minutes ago, pollock21 said:

So selling off older models at a discount, and discounting the current model leading up to a new product release is "clueless" and "greedy"? This is literally what just about every company does. 

They're still profiting off of clubs 2 generations old, pulling more people into the brand, etc. Giving folks like myself a chance to buy the clubs and try them out. And guess what? I firmly believe they're the best irons made in terms of forgiveness and playability while keeping the look of a players iron. Irons were so good, I bought the driver. Now I'm thinking about trying the wedges, why? Because my Dad did the same as me, got irons, then picked up an 0311 forged wedge. He loves it. My driver, awesome, Dad bought one of those too, he loves his. Now I'm looking to test out their fairways and hybrids.

I'm willing to bet there are some folks out there who bought these irons on sale and didn't like them, however, I'm willing to bet there's even more just like myself, who are now adding even more PXG clubs to their bag.

Draw any conclusion you want, but I believe this strategy is working. I used to rarely see PXG clubs out and about. Now i'm seeing more and more of them. They are gaining a lot of traction.

Here's the truth, and it's this simple. PXG is polarizing. There's a group of folks that can't stand that the clubs cost so much money for the first few years, so they hate the brand and always will. Then there's the other side, those that bought PXG to be members of the exclusive club and they're mad that the kids from across the tracks can buy them now, so they feel like their elite clubs are now watered down and they've lost their status. Believe it or not, there are a lot of folks in these outer groups. Don't believe me, read any PXG thread and see where it leads. The rest of us are now getting a chance to try these clubs out, and for me, I'm finding out that they are absolutely fantastic.

Good to know that you are enjoying your clubs. I am just saying what I know from my perspective who's been with the company from the days they were a nobody. Wasn't talking from a customer perspective.

Anyway, enjoy it!

2 hours ago, Yarra said:

Good to know that you are enjoying your clubs. I am just saying what I know from my perspective who's been with the company from the days they were a nobody. Wasn't talking from a customer perspective.

Anyway, enjoy it!

No worries, I'm basically just saying that I think this current strategy is growing the brand.

It also sounds like you have some insider knowledge that you can't/won't share which I can respect as well.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4
Fairway: TSi2 3 & 5 PX RDX Black 6.5
Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 3 4-P
Wedges: Zipcore Tour Rack 50/54/60
Putter: 2021 Ping Tyne CS

15 hours ago, pollock21 said:

No worries, I'm basically just saying that I think this current strategy is growing the brand.

It also sounds like you have some insider knowledge that you can't/won't share which I can respect as well.

You are welcome to DM me if you would like to know more. I do not think sharing their bad sides to the public will benefit me in any way at this point. It might even come back as a boomerang to me, instead.

• Like 1

Growing the brand's market share while taking advantage of the current supply chain shortages of competitors is a smart move. I have a good buddy who ordered a set of irons last night because they finally hit his price point. He's been a Ping loyalist like myself prior to his new order, but enjoyed hitting various clubs of mine and now is willing to take the PXG plunge. From a company's perspective, this is exactly what they're looking to do with their pricing models. Win win for the consumer and the company. The change in direction may not sit will with everyone affiliated with PXG, however, they can choose to deal with it or move on.   

On 8/5/2021 at 8:50 AM, snagy2000 said:

... The change in direction may not sit will with everyone affiliated with PXG, ... 

I think that's probably the issue with many. PXG started off with the principle of making ultra-premium club where money was not a factor, for the group of customers with deep pockets and would pay the premium for something "better". Reaching the mass market was not their intention or end goal. 

From marketing perspective, this shift of principle could be a dangerous one. Surely it got a group of new customers to try out their products but the immediate impact is the move just destroyed the resale value of used Gen 2 clubs. Ok perhaps those customers were pretty well-off anyway they didn't care if the set they paid $3K a few years ago now only worth $300.  If untra-premium car manufactures such as Bentley or Rolls-Royce decided to keep building an selling their previous models before the last major update for 70% off what they sold them for, it's unlikely their current customers would be very happy about it. 

The 2nd issue is really a bit more long term. The whole goal of drawing in new customer by lowering entry cost is so that you can upsell them later to move up in the product chain. The group that got brought in is hardly the right target group for $3K set of irons, and now everyone is thinking this $3k set is gonna be worth $300 in 3 years. We already hear it about TM products because they update them so fast. Anything new is gonna be going for half in a year or less on secondary market, and it makes a lot of people feel it's just not worth it to buy the newest from TM. Brands that hold its resale value well tend to make people be more willing to buy new. 

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

1 hour ago, mister2cool said:

I think that's probably the issue with many. PXG started off with the principle of making ultra-premium club where money was not a factor, for the group of customers with deep pockets and would pay the premium for something "better". Reaching the mass market was not their intention or end goal. 

From marketing perspective, this shift of principle could be a dangerous one. Surely it got a group of new customers to try out their products but the immediate impact is the move just destroyed the resale value of used Gen 2 clubs. Ok perhaps those customers were pretty well-off anyway they didn't care if the set they paid $3K a few years ago now only worth $300.  If untra-premium car manufactures such as Bentley or Rolls-Royce decided to keep building an selling their previous models before the last major update for 70% off what they sold them for, it's unlikely their current customers would be very happy about it. 

The 2nd issue is really a bit more long term. The whole goal of drawing in new customer by lowering entry cost is so that you can upsell them later to move up in the product chain. The group that got brought in is hardly the right target group for $3K set of irons, and now everyone is thinking this $3k set is gonna be worth $300 in 3 years. We already hear it about TM products because they update them so fast. Anything new is gonna be going for half in a year or less on secondary market, and it makes a lot of people feel it's just not worth it to buy the newest from TM. Brands that hold its resale value well tend to make people be more willing to buy new. 

No one in the golf industry cares about resale value of their clubs, nor should they. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, snagy2000 said:

No one in the golf industry cares about resale value of their clubs, nor should they. 

Perhaps they should. Resale value inevitably affects how new products are sold. 

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

• 1 month later...

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope