Cobra 2022 Plans

hartrick11

Cobra used to launch well ahead of TM and Callaway and usually in December.  What is the plan for this year?   They’ll be overshadowed by the Stealth and Rogue launches shortly. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 230 15.0 MCA Kaili Blue 70X

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

3 hours ago, Lemonde said:

Cobra used to launch well ahead of TM and Callaway and usually in December.  What is the plan for this year?   They’ll be overshadowed by the Stealth and Rogue launches shortly. 

We have a Cobra Demo Day at our Club on 1/29 which is the day after the PGA Show.  Really hoping they break out the new line of clubs for this event.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

3 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

We have a Cobra Demo Day at our Club on 1/29 which is the day after the PGA Show.  Really hoping they break out the new line of clubs for this event.

Seems so late for them.  Perhaps better to launch Feb instead of Dec?  Get out of that TM Cally shadow. 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 230 15.0 MCA Kaili Blue 70X

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

I the cobra stuff coming is really good.  But I think as others said. They do better with a bit of an off cycle release time. But maybe this real with really good performance at a lower price they will still compete.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I'm curious about the change in release timing.

In the past I think they released too early. By the time the TM, Callaway, etc had their releases out the Cobra stuff was all forgotten and I think a certain segment thought that they were "last year's" driver. By shifting the release I assume they are hoping to capitalize on the overall driver hype.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

On 12/16/2021 at 11:04 AM, adamwittman said:

Here found this 

1DF97D8A-1E9B-4E32-B745-93BB1CA93C10.jpeg

26FAF182-3A92-4740-95DE-4ACEEC340308.jpeg

Do you know why the lie angle is flatter in the PW than it is in the 4i.  I called Cobra tech support and the person was a bit mis-informed.  He tried to tell me all irons are flatter in the PW and more upright in the 4i.  When I referred him to the standard length irons, he told me I was reading it wrong!!

• Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik

3+ Wood: TM 300 Mini

4 Wood: TM Stealth

7 Wood: TM Stealth 

Irons: Callaway Ai Smoke (6-AW)
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 4 ZipCore  (54, 58)
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

43 minutes ago, Millhill88 said:

Do you know why the lie angle is flatter in the PW than it is in the 4i.  I called Cobra tech support and the person was a bit mis-informed.  He tried to tell me all irons are flatter in the PW and more upright in the 4i.  When I referred him to the standard length irons, he told me I was reading it wrong!!

i’m 90% sure that Cobra said that the one length irons have more shaft deflection in the long irons because people still swing them faster needing a more upright lie angle.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dbelles1 said:

i’m 90% sure that Cobra said that the one length irons have more shaft deflection in the long irons because people still swing them faster needing a more upright lie angle.

I think it makes some sense. I basically always swing with 100% speed when i hit the 4 iron and 5 iron.  But when I hit the GW and PW I often swing at 75% - 90% speed to dial in an exact yardage to the flag.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 1:48 PM, Millhill88 said:

In addition to what is said above, I think that there are a few things that cause the deflection in the way Cobra builds them. I have often seen it written that it is because people subconsciously swing them faster but Cobra also builds things into the clubs to make the "long" irons faster like using lighter shafts and I guess the added offset arguably adds speed. I haven't owned a set like these yet as both the single lengths I have have constant lie angles but have read users say they don't notice the lie change. The only area I am kind of skeptical on is the lower lie of the wedges. This doesn't make sense to me but I'm curious to see. Especially odd is that a wedge like the Cobra snakebite one wedge have a 62.5 lie where the Radspeed One goes all the way down to 61.5 with the gap wedge. That part doesn't make sense to me but maybe there is a good reason.

Driver: Cobra SZ 9*

4 Wood: Wishon EQ1-NX

4/5 Hybrids: Wishon EQ1-NX

5-GW: Sub 70 659 CB DG 105

56/60: TaylorMade Milled Grind

Putter: Edel E-3

Also, they apparently believe in it since every set since the F7 and Forged One have had this feature and those did not. Very interested in seeing the LTD irons. I am considering a used set of Radspeed One now.

On 12/29/2021 at 1:48 PM, Millhill88 said:

I picked up being serious about golf two years ago and since then have exclusively played OL irons. About 7 different sets in and I can say without a doubt the shaft deflection isn't an influence on my swing. I had two sets of edels and liked the same lie but didn't like other aspects of them. Recently bought the 2016 forged tour OL's since they are all the same lie at 62.5° and have struck my irons better than ever before with more GIR's. I can confidently say if the Mim tour OL's they're coming out with(the ones spotted in Bryson's bag) aren't all the same lie, then I'll keep playing these for years to come. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dwall39 said:

I picked up being serious about golf two years ago and since then have exclusively played OL irons. About 7 different sets in and I can say without a doubt the shaft deflection isn't an influence on my swing. I had two sets of edels and liked the same lie but didn't like other aspects of them. Recently bought the 2016 forged tour OL's since they are all the same lie at 62.5° and have struck my irons better than ever before with more GIR's. I can confidently say if the Mim tour OL's they're coming out with(the ones spotted in Bryson's bag) aren't all the same lie, then I'll keep playing these for years to come. 

Did you play any of the other Cobras? I am just wondering if something about the offset or anything else makes this not really noticeable or not? I feel like it would bother me and like the Forged Tour Ones a lot but looking to play something a little hotter faced. When I'm playing well I do love the Forged Ones though. I have a set of the Wishons and with some shaft and weight alterations they may be great too. Will be doing some testing of some options here to start the year. Interested in at least trying one of the newer Cobra sets though.

6 minutes ago, ben7e said:

Did you play any of the other Cobras? I am just wondering if something about the offset or anything else makes this not really noticeable or not? I feel like it would bother me and like the Forged Tour Ones a lot but looking to play something a little hotter faced. When I'm playing well I do love the Forged Ones though. I have a set of the Wishons and with some shaft and weight alterations they may be great too. Will be doing some testing of some options here to start the year. Interested in at least trying one of the newer Cobra sets though.

Started with the F8's and I think the gapping was too close at the bottom and top of the set and bunched my carry yardages closer. I played the 2020 forged tec's for the past year. They were fine when my driver ss was around 100mph. I outgrew the graphite shafts and was losing the clubhead in my swing. I would have reshafted them but my main gripe was the lie angle difference. GW and PW always had a short right miss cause of the flat lie angle. 4i and 5i were always a draw because they were too upright. Considered getting the lie angles all bent to 63° but then you have the offset difference. I'd love to see other major brands tinker in OL but it's such a niche market that I don't expect callaway or TM to take the risk. 

49 minutes ago, Gary Gutful said:

Who gives a s*** whether Bryson or Kyle like the driver?

It needs to appeal to the masses. Something that Cobra appear to have forgotten whilst flogging their long driving log.

Hope they release something steady, otherwise they've s*** the bed.

Probably the same people who said the Radspeed must be rubbish because Bryson wasn't using it

13 hours ago, dwall39 said:

I would have no idea where to start with the lie angles.  My current 8 iron is 37.5" and at 64*.  Since the OL PW is the same length as my current 8 iron, do I start at 64* in the PW and go from there?  Cobra is making this waaay harder to comprehend than it has to be.  Probably going to keep me away from trying these.....

Driver: Callaway Mavrik

3+ Wood: TM 300 Mini

4 Wood: TM Stealth

7 Wood: TM Stealth 

Irons: Callaway Ai Smoke (6-AW)
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 4 ZipCore  (54, 58)
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

12 hours ago, golfmatt said:

Probably the same people who said the Radspeed must be rubbish because Bryson wasn't using it

Well I think the fact that Bryson himself told the world that the driver sucks made it a bigger deal than it otherwise would have been.

People on this forum are the exception rather than the rule. Most golfers wouldn't have a clue whether Bryson uses the latest model driver.

18 minutes ago, Gary Gutful said:

Well I think the fact that Bryson himself told the world that the driver sucks made it a bigger deal than it otherwise would have been.

People on this forum are the exception rather than the rule. Most golfers wouldn't have a clue whether Bryson uses the latest model driver.

Bryson wasn't talking about that Radspeed driver though. He was talking about the particular prototype driver that he was using that weekend.

3 hours ago, Millhill88 said:

I would have no idea where to start with the lie angles.  My current 8 iron is 37.5" and at 64*.  Since the OL PW is the same length as my current 8 iron, do I start at 64* in the PW and go from there?  Cobra is making this waaay harder to comprehend than it has to be.  Probably going to keep me away from trying these.....

That is the part that doesn't make a lot of sense to me in that it would make most sense to match the 7 iron since that is what matches their standard set. So to your point, I don't know that moving the lie flatter in the shorter irons makes sense. Personally, I like to choke up on the wedges still so I have been considering making mine a bit more upright and heavier.

Regarding the Bryson talk, he constantly talks about wanting something more forgiving since when he misses it is way more punishing when someone like me who hits half his distance so I would think that it would be beneficial of everyone. Just was watching a video about the original LTD compared the SZ that TXG did and Ian mentioned about the design being very neutral on the LTD.

27 minutes ago, whumber said:

Bryson wasn't talking about that Radspeed driver though. He was talking about the particular prototype driver that he was using that weekend.

Yeah. Fully aware that Bryson doesn't do "off the shelf".

Which is kind of my point at the start. Bryson and Kyle are so far removed from what the average golfer can do that I personally dont care what they have to say. Appreciate the marketing appeal though. Just doesn't do it for me.

4 hours ago, Millhill88 said:

Cobra is doing it all wrong in my opinion and missing a bit opportunity. 

If they setup their OL sets like Wishon or EDEL it would actually make sense. 

My current PW is 36 5/8 at 66* lie... If i went to 61.5 lie i would miss the green 30 yards right. 

The entire point of SL is to swing every iron the same, you may not do it right away but you don't counterattack that will specs... Golfers are supposed to work to what's correct not be compensated for what's wrong. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gary Gutful said:

Yeah. Fully aware that Bryson doesn't do "off the shelf".

Which is kind of my point at the start. Bryson and Kyle are so far removed from what the average golfer can do that I personally dont care what they have to say. Appreciate the marketing appeal though. Just doesn't do it for me.

You are right, what they do isn't that relevant to most people, but it is pretty powerful marketing to say the world long drive champion and the longest player on the PGA tour use your driver, would say getting their input and keeping them happy was quite important.

5 minutes ago, golfmatt said:

You are right, what they do isn't that relevant to most people, but it is pretty powerful marketing to say the world long drive champion and the longest player on the PGA tour use your driver, would say getting their input and keeping them happy was quite important.

Very powerful. They still wont sell many drivers though. I suspect TM will dominate sales in 2022.

1 hour ago, Gary Gutful said:

Very powerful. They still wont sell many drivers though. I suspect TM will dominate sales in 2022.

Well certainly not as many as TM, the marketing $ behind the Stealth will be immense. If the LTD is good though and the price is right I think they might surprise.

• Like 1