Anyone move from DGX100’s to a lighter weight X shaft?

VanTheMan0519

50 minutes ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

Intrigued by lighter weight steel shafts. Still in an X flex. Noticed TT has some lighter weight dynamic gold models. 

My personal experience being a DGS300 user is that anything lighter than 115-120g has no benefit for me. Timing wise, it's a disaster because it disrupts the rhythm of my swing. Flex is important, but I would caution against thinking a light X100 (DG105 X100)  and a heavy X100 (classic DG X100) will be similar. I'd start with the DG120 X100 as it will be familiar, but perhaps just feel a little easier to swing. 

You can always build a test club of what you'd like to try out. 

• Like 1

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

I went from X100‘s, which I foolishly chose at a 30 or so hcp, to DG 120 X100‘s. I’m tall and strong and have a pretty violent swing (hockey player), but they got too much to handle later in the round. 
I‘m very happy with the change, in my 4th season now, 19 hcp but haven’t played in tournaments in a while, scoring in the low 90‘s and occasional mid-high 80‘s. 

I think the 120 X100 is a great shaft, but with what’s available now in graphite options, that’s where I’ll go in the near future. 
Never liked the Project X profile, haven’t tried KBS, but it’s astonishing how True Temper managed to preserve the DG feel in the 120g version. It’s a winner in my book. 

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

3 hours ago, rsballer10 said:

My personal experience being a DGS300 user is that anything lighter than 115-120g has no benefit for me. Timing wise, it's a disaster because it disrupts the rhythm of my swing.

100% agree, Still using DGS300 also and at 36 years old I know I need to move to something lighter but it's been difficult.

Tried the AMT version and it didn't seem to work at all. Missing shots both left and right

I played DG X100 for 20+ years and moved into  XP 115’s pretty seamlessly 

The DG120X are good as well, but I feel the Elevate Tour x were better (they are around 120g as well) 

I heard the Elevate ETS are great too at 115g

dont be fooled by the name Elevate. They were barely higher than my DG X100’s 

if the DG x100 are low launch/ mid spin, the Elevate Tours were Low-Mid launch/ mid spin. They were lower launch and spin than the DG 105x for me and about the same as the DG120X 

I play a Modus 105 which is more Mid launch, mid-high spin 

For instance, I would launch my TMB 2 iron at 85-90ft with the DG x100, 90-95ft with the XP 115, and 100-110ft with a Modus 105. The Elevate Tour x and XP 115 were the same in testing as far as launch and spin went, but the Elevate Tours felt amazing at impact due to the vibration dampening. 

I ended up in a modus 105 because I liked the feel, they flew higher and spun more. I never had a problem flighting the ball low as needed, I found that trying to flight the ball high was more difficult for me, plus I was moving into hollow bodied irons (HMB’s which are stronger lofted) so more spin was good  and I wanted a steeper descent angle with my longer irons. 

DG 120X/ Elevate Tour X / ETS are all very seamless transitions from a DG X100

I felt like I had to swing out of my shoes to get the feedback I wanted from the DG x100’s, with the aforementioned shafts, I feel like I could swing freely in a more controlled manner and get the feedback I was accustomed to getting from the DG x100’s 10 years ago! 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BREWMASTER95060 said:

lighter shafts and same head weights=different swing weights

Not consistently true across shaft models. Different balance points.

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

12 hours ago, sgersten19 said:

100% agree, Still using DGS300 also and at 36 years old I know I need to move to something lighter but it's been difficult.

Tried the AMT version and it didn't seem to work at all. Missing shots both left and right

Try DG120, 10g of weight makes a difference in my opinion. AMT white gets way too light in the long irons. I think it's a good idea, but the weight progression needs to be more subtle.

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

I didn't switch from X100 to Nippon 125X but I have hit X100 extensively. I played 125X for probably 3 years. The biggest thing I noticed was I picked up a little speed which translated into a higher ball with a tad more spin. For me it was less the weight and more the profile change. 125X has a touch softer midsection but I like the stiffer handle which gives me better feedback.  X100 is clunky and heavy and soft in the handle. Less feedback, less consistent trajectory.  Its either high or knuckle low, never in between. 125X being lighter, felt easier to manipulate trajectory.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

About 10 years ago I went from S300 to X100.  Loved the stability of X100 and had no issues with the weight. 

In the last year or so, I noticed fatigue setting in a bit at the end of the round.  I'm 52 now, and though my distance hasn't suffered I would lose a few shots right b/c of loss of focus or just a poor swing.

Current sticks have Modus 120X and I am very happy with them.  Swingweights feel similar (newer iron heads are probably heavier, offsetting the lighter weight of the Modus vs the X100).

If you wanted to stay within the DG family, I'd start with the DG120 in X100.  The feel should be similar (about 10g less weight),  although if you are going to be using the same iron heads, the swingweight might change.

I would definitely try out a few different shafts to see what works for you in a lighter weight.  But my experience has been a positive one, and I definitely have more energy/focus down the stretch with the lighter shafts.  

Edited by hagimihale

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

On 8/18/2021 at 9:31 AM, Drivingrangehero said:

The DG120X are good as well, but I feel the Elevate Tour x were better (they are around 120g as well) 

if the DG x100 are low launch/ mid spin, the Elevate Tours were Low-Mid launch/ mid spin. They were lower launch and spin than the DG 105x for me and about the same as the DG120X 

For instance, I would launch my TMB 2 iron at 85-90ft with the DG x100, 90-95ft with the XP 115, and 100-110ft with a Modus 105. The Elevate Tour x and XP 115 were the same in testing as far as launch and spin went, but the Elevate Tours felt amazing at impact due to the vibration dampening. 

I ended up in a modus 105 because I liked the feel, they flew higher and spun more. I never had a problem flighting the ball low as needed, I found that trying to flight the ball high was more difficult for me, plus I was moving into hollow bodied irons (HMB’s which are stronger lofted) so more spin was good  and I wanted a steeper descent angle with my longer irons. 

I felt like I had to swing out of my shoes to get the feedback I wanted from the DG x100’s, with the aforementioned shafts, I feel like I could swing freely in a more controlled manner and get the feedback I was accustomed to getting from the DG x100’s 10 years ago! 

The part about ‘easier’ to hit it high(er) and then flight one lower when needed: as opposed to vice-versa - is absolutely me too.

Ive primarily played coastal golf (Therefore windy) all my life. And my game and eqpt have grown around a lower ball-flight.

Approaching 50 - and noticeably now seeing distance loss, s/speed decreasing and flight lowering even more: I’m right in the middle of equipment changes to get my stock Apex heights up from where they are. Knowing I have a far better chance of getting one lower (and under control) when required - that trying / having to be able to elevate one - with much or any control at all !!

Interesting to hear you say that too…..

• Like 1

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

On 8/18/2021 at 4:31 AM, Drivingrangehero said:

Do you think there is anything to gain going from DG120 -> ETS 115?  I currently have DG120 S300s in my irons and they perform great.  But having a little more height/feel wouldn't be a bad thing but it sounds like you had the same launch/spin so the only thing to gain would be the vibration dampening?

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

The only difference I had between the DG 120x and Elevate Tour was feel at impact. The launch and spin numbers were within 1* and 150rpms. I actually launched the Elevate < 1* higher, but spun it about 150rpms less. For me that is within a margin of error 

I haven’t Hit the ETS model in 115, only the Elevate Tour X, the XP 115 s300/ X100 versions and the Dynalite XP as well.

I think the Elevate Tour X was a little better than the XP 115’s, because I never felt like I had to check my tempo with them, but I really only made a conscious effort with the XP 115 s300’s, whereas the  XP 115 X100 version, I could swing freely. 

I still have a Dynalite XP in a backup gap wedge I hit at the range regularly and I couldn’t distinguish it from my XP 115’s 

If you are thinking the flight may change from the DG 120 to the ETS, I think that it’s very swing dependent and other have said you would need a very late release to see a change in launch 

The couple of times I went on the  Mizuno shaft Optimizer my numbers were (rounding up and down from .67 and .33 readings)

94mph                 92mph

5 tempo.              4

4 Toe Down.        4

5 shaft kick          3

4 release.             3

so I don’t have a late release, more mid to mid-late and I didn’t see much change in launch or spin in the DG120X to Elevate Tour.

Edited by Drivingrangehero
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 4:49 PM, sgersten19 said:

Still using DGS300 also and at 36 years old I know I need to move to something lighter but it's been difficult.

66 years old maybe, but as long as you are reasonably healthy DG S300 should serve you well for the next 30 years.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Another vote for the Elevate Tour X.

Feel great, launch abit easier than X100 but definitely not hitting moon balls. Kind of feels like hitting a smoother but tighter S300, so easier to swing but still tight. Personally, I thought that the DG120 X100 and DG105 X100 both felt abit 'dead'.

Edited by Skipperation