2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Edel EAS 4.0 putter fitting 'review'

Tupperwolf

Sounds like an awesome experience and I always say these Edel fittings are definitely eye opening for how you aim a putter. Hope the putter treats you well and that feel they give it isn't a big deal when you're draining putts or leaving tap ins from long lag putts. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Amazing how much attention is paid to alignment lines on putters and yet so many players aim better without them. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

38 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Amazing how much attention is paid to alignment lines on putters and yet so many players aim better without them. 

It's funny, I have never liked straight alignment lines, I've never seen one that looked square to my eyes.  The longer the alignment line (like on a big mallet) the more crooked it looks to the face.  If I line up the face the line looks way right, if I line up the line the face looks way left.  I blacked out the line on my Tyne with a sharpie.  I think I have moved into mallets because the shape of the back isn't straight, so it forces me to look at the blade and line it square. I aimed both of the blade model Edel putters right of the cup which jives with what he's found in years of fitting.  For this style of putter I like the fangs because even though they are perpendicular to the face they don't look crooked to me like a line does.  I can set the face, then glance at the fangs to get a sense of motion in the correct direction.  It's so mental!

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

1 minute ago, Tupperwolf said:

It's funny, I have never liked straight alignment lines, I've never seen one that looked square to my eyes.  The longer the alignment line (like on a big mallet) the more crooked it looks to the face.  If I line up the face the line looks way right, if I line up the line the face looks way left.  I blacked out the line on my Tyne with a sharpie.  I think I have moved into mallets because the shape of the back isn't straight, so it forces me to look at the blade and line it square. I aimed both of the blade model Edel putters right of the cup which jives with what he's found in years of fitting.  For this style of putter I like the fangs because even though they are perpendicular to the face they don't look crooked to me like a line does.  I can set the face, then glance at the fangs to get a sense of motion in the correct direction.  It's so mental!

Could not agree more. I have a sight dot only, no line. A solo line is often aimed incorrectly because it depends so much on eye position. Can be very tricky. Your eyes can make that line look left, right or on target. 

I cannot tell if it is aimed where I think unless I have 3 lines on the flange so I can see a pattern, but even then I aim just as well with no lines. 

Awesome to hear.  Edel fitting is a whole other level and I hear they are doing some really cool stuff in the near future.

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

Echoing somewhat that the Club Champions I've been to have also not necessarily pushed the Edel fitting system either. I was fit for mine when Edel first came out and was also disappointed with the pixel insert at the time. 

Hope yours stays in your bag for some time! Enjoy!

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

Here are some more pics of the finished product.

PXL_20210916_211039932.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210916_211044679.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210916_211058163.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210916_211110237.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210916_211132067.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210916_211152087.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210916_211208797.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210916_211216541.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210916_211220437.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210916_211249003.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210916_211236387.PORTRAIT.jpg

Edited by Tupperwolf

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Very nice flat stick !  Super clean

How does the Edel EAS 4.0 feel? It looks really good without lines. 

It feels unique for sure, I can see why there I have read some complaints about the feel but I think that's just what you get with the torque balanced milling requirements. It provides a lot of feedback for a mallet, with a nice feeling sweet spot and a slight jarring feel when you miss it.  It certainly feels firmer overall than my Ping with the insert which had a soft 'thock' sort of feel.  The Edel funnily enough makes a 'ping' noise which I didn't expect, I don't think the fitting head made a similar noise, and since sound contributes to feel.. If you get a chance roll one, I think the alignment and swing weighting benefits of getting fit outweigh the feel not being exactly what I am used to so we'll see how it goes long term.

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying the weight kit for my putter because after a few rounds of golf I wasn't 100% sure that the head weight was correct; it felt just a little too light.  I'm coming from a 365g head weight putter, which is the heaviest head I've ever used, and I was having the best results and confidence with it over any putter I've ever used.  My understanding is that the 4.0 head is 340g and the weight kit includes weights from 5g up to 25g in 5g increments, a nice branded wrench, and a neon string in a nice zippered pouch.  My putter was fit with a 10g weight for a head weight of 350g.  The idea is that you drop the string on the green and roll a few putts to it and change the weight of the head depending on if you come up short/long.  I doubt that I will change head weight based on green speed like that but I wanted to give myself the best chance of making the putter "perfect" after going through the fitting process.  I took the putter to the practice green and tried a few different weights and ended up settling on the 15g weight.  The 20g weight felt good, nice and heavy, but inconsistent results.  The 15g weight felt absolutely perfect in my hands for both lag and short putts.  So, it goes to show that the fitting process isn't perfect, and a little adjustment and $$$ might be required, but the $75 weight kit is a good deal considering what you get (and I used a discount code that was provided after purchasing the putter so it wasn't even that much).

@lincolnduff, there is a $100 fitting fee on top of the price of the putter.  Going all in on an Edel putter isn't cheap, but when you're a head case on the greens like me I think it can be worth it!

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Interesting story, thanks for sharing.

Someone needs some news shoes, though.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Nothing better than a pair of well-worn and well-loved Quoddys.  http://www.quoddy.com

They've taken me all over the world and been resoled twice.

• Like 1

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Congrats!  great that it all worked out for you.  Pretty cool fitting experience.  

I got fitted for my Edel last year and could not be happier with it.  A good fitting is really eye opening as Edel seems to focus on elements other brands-fitters ignore, I love that almost everything can be customized to you - seems super simple, yet not many do this.

My putter ended up very similar in specs to my previous putter of @15 years, biggest changes were hosel config (no offset), top marks, backweighting shoved deeper down into the shaft vs my previous putter, and the round grip.

I feel so comfortable with mine - from day 1, and it has gotten better.  Stats show that I am saving roughly 3 strokes per round with the Edel putter.  I have had more numerous low # of putts per round with this putter too...had my career best last week of 25 putts in a round.

edel1.jpg

edel2.jpg

• Like 2

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

• 6 months later...

OP, not to put you on the spot, but do you still play this putter.  I was researching Edel fitting and found this thread. But didn't see the putter in your WITB signature.

I'm thinking about treating myself to an Edel fitting for a milestone birthday. Putting is the weakest part of my game and I've never been fit. But I'm pretty frugal and am wary of dropping $$$ for a putter unless I am confident it'll be in the bag for years....

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

• 5 weeks later...

I am also interested if these are still in play,  interesting fitting system and local to me only Golftec does it so no real idea if they are up to the task.

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9* GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

17 hours ago, Jim53 said:

I am also interested if these are still in play,  interesting fitting system and local to me only Golftec does it so no real idea if they are up to the task.

If it helps I still game mine. Such it gets dropped occasionally but to me 100% worth it. 

Other than learning aimpoint I’d say it the best ‘golf money’ I’ve ever spent. 

although I’d still prefer a 009.. 😎

Thanks, 

I don't have the patience to learn aim point and frankly I think it looks silly for a hack like me to be doing such things. For a pro I guess it makes sense but even watching them or their caddies doing it looks silly to me.  I have missed putts with all the big brand putters and will most likely continue to miss them but I do want to see if I am fit correctly as an excuse to buy another putter.

I have a friend that does it and it is incredibly irritating to watch and wait for him to miss the putt anyway. 

The Edel method seems to make a lot of sense and for $95 not crazy expensive to learn something. I was willing to do the SIK fitting for $150 but those chumps don't need the Business evidently.

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9* GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 4/26/2022 at 1:27 AM, mantan said:

OP, not to put you on the spot, but do you still play this putter.  I was researching Edel fitting and found this thread. But didn't see the putter in your WITB signature.

I'm thinking about treating myself to an Edel fitting for a milestone birthday. Putting is the weakest part of my game and I've never been fit. But I'm pretty frugal and am wary of dropping $$$ for a putter unless I am confident it'll be in the bag for years....

Also curious whether OP @Tupperwolf still plays this Edel putter ... or whether there's potentially a spring-cleaning good deal on that clean Edel 4.0 'fang' putter! 🤞😬🚫🤬

I still do have this putter in the bag!  I haven't been playing much golf since having a baby 7 months ago (and for the months before that when my wife was pregnant..) but nothing has kicked it out yet.  I have tried a couple of LABs, a few vintage Teardrops and Ansers, but I've gone back to the Edel every time as it lines up perfectly and just seems to work well - as one would hope as it was custom fit for me.

Edited by Tupperwolf
  • Like 2

Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

On 4/9/2023 at 10:59 AM, Tupperwolf said:

I still do have this putter in the bag!  I haven't been playing much golf since having a baby 7 months ago (and for the months before that when my wife was pregnant..) but nothing has kicked it out yet.  I have tried a couple of LABs, a few vintage Teardrops and Ansers, but I've gone back to the Edel every time as it lines up perfectly and just seems to work well - as one would hope as it was custom fit for me.

Glad to hear it's still working well for you.  I also play the 4.0 and it's been the most consistent putter I've ever owned.  Not because its magic but because it was so customizable to my specific stroke.  

Always respected Edel for their focus on fittings. They pretty much offer anything you can imagine...except LH clubs 😢

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

On 4/11/2023 at 7:03 PM, 5hort5tuff said:

Always respected Edel for their focus on fittings. They pretty much offer anything you can imagine...except LH clubs 😢

Yeah Id love to offer the new lines in lefty like the previous but it's tough at the size we are to justify right now. That's the truth no fluff.  In time we will add lefty options, just not sure when.