2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

QSeries 2021

HMHS

Not sure if this is jumping the gun since Stage II is still to happen but feel free me to merge with another thread of there is already something out there...  QSeries 2021 will be interesting for me for the following reasons: ---

First off there Hinako (this is as of a few days ago so we can expect to see her more often in our time zone, hopefully) -- 

"I am planning to participate in the qualifying session (Q school) for the right to participate in the US tour next season from November 29th, but on that day "I think it will be until Ehimeair", Daio Paper Elleair Ladies (November) From 18th to 21st, Ehime / Eliere GC Matsuyama), he revealed that he is planning to participate without a break.

Even if he doesn't perform well at Q School and only qualifies for the lower tour, he has already said he is determined to make the United States the main battlefield next year. When it comes to actually going around the US lower tour, which has no match in Japan, next year, it is undecided that he will participate in the match in Japan on a regular basis."

Then, the ones who will have to participate to keep their cards after today's tournament:  Andrea Lee, Bianca, Dottie Ardina, Pernilla(?), Van Damm(?), etc

And finally, the up and comers -- hopefully, Atthaya T makes it through her US visa issues, etc...

• Like 1

I'd like to see some JLPGA & KLPGA pros register for Q-series....isn't there a RR cutoff to go directly to Q-series?

I hope the Japanese silver medalist registers?

The KLPGA is so deep...would love to see more KLPGA pros register on a yearly basis,

But many on both tours enjoy playing close to home...and the top pros can make a pretty good living.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KBong said:

I'd like to see some JLPGA & KLPGA pros register for Q-series....isn't there a RR cutoff to go directly to Q-series?

I hope the Japanese silver medalist registers?

The KLPGA is so deep...would love to see more KLPGA pros register on a yearly basis,

But many on both tours enjoy playing close to home...and the top pros can make a pretty good living.

Yes. From the Q-Series FAQ:

Players ranked within the Top 75 on the Rolex Women’s World Golf Rankings as of the entry deadline for Stage II (August 9, 2021). Players will be ranked in the order of their position on the list as of August 9, 2021. If more than 10 players apply through this Category, remaining players may be moved to start the qualifying process at Stage II.

Players currently qualified would include Min Ji Park, Mone Inami, Ayake Furue, Atthaya, Hae Ran Ryu, Yuna Nishimura, Hye Jin Choi, Hee Jeong Lim, Hinako, and a handful of other ranked 51st through 75th.

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

16 hours ago, Supermilo said:

Not sure if this is jumping the gun since Stage II is still to happen but feel free me to merge with another thread of there is already something out there...  QSeries 2021 will be interesting for me for the following reasons: ---

First off there Hinako (this is as of a few days ago so we can expect to see her more often in our time zone, hopefully) -- 

"I am planning to participate in the qualifying session (Q school) for the right to participate in the US tour next season from November 29th, but on that day "I think it will be until Ehimeair", Daio Paper Elleair Ladies (November) From 18th to 21st, Ehime / Eliere GC Matsuyama), he revealed that he is planning to participate without a break.

Even if he doesn't perform well at Q School and only qualifies for the lower tour, he has already said he is determined to make the United States the main battlefield next year. When it comes to actually going around the US lower tour, which has no match in Japan, next year, it is undecided that he will participate in the match in Japan on a regular basis."

Then, the ones who will have to participate to keep their cards after today's tournament:  Andrea Lee, Bianca, Dottie Ardina, Pernilla(?), Van Damm(?), etc

And finally, the up and comers -- hopefully, Atthaya T makes it through her US visa issues, etc...

I got confused reading the paragraph that starts with "I am planning to participate" and then I got even more confused with the references to "he". 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, North Texas said:

I got confused reading the paragraph that starts with "I am planning to participate" and then I got even more confused with the references to "he". 

Yeah, that's Google translate -- but that's Hinako quoted "verbatim" via google translate...

the other info on Hinako (on her latest win in the other thread in LPGA odds and ends) I paraphrased (since I don't think I know how to quote verbatim).  One thing's for sure, she'll participate in the JLPGA until late November then travel with her "team/manager" to the US. Her manager is fluent in English and for others who are fearful, no, it's not IMG LOL.  Her name is Mikako Taya (former competitive golfer also in Japan and knows how to caddie - dunno who her caddie will be for Qseries however). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

Yeah, that's Google translate -- but that's Hinako quoted "verbatim" via google translate...

the other info on Hinako (on her latest win in the other thread in LPGA odds and ends) I paraphrased (since I don't think I know how to quote verbatim).  One thing's for sure, she'll participate in the JLPGA until late November then travel with her "team/manager" to the US. Her manager is fluent in English and for others who are fearful, no, it's not IMG LOL.  Her name is Mikako Taya (former competitive golfer also in Japan and knows how to caddie - dunno who her caddie will be for Qseries however). 

How do you know so much about Shibuno and the JLPGA?

8 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

If more than 10 players apply through this Category

We've got one player each in 2018 and 2019; Jeong Eun Lee6 in 2018 and Yui Kawamoto in 2019.  By the same token, we should have two this year; one for 2020 and one for this year.

My bet is we'll get more than 2; but we'll need to wait until the end of November to find out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KBong said:

How do you know so much about Shibuno and the JLPGA?

LOL... I'm  a "fanboy"?

Seriously though, I've always been fascinated about Japan - wanted to live/work there but couldnt... And since I like a lot of things Japanese, it was natural to follow the JLPGA, and everything about it - incl the Bashful Prince, Hideki, Aoki, etc etc etc...   

And yes, I visit Japan as I have quite a few Japanese friends too (who rarely visit us here in North America)... Last I went was in 2019 when, with my luck, Shibuno win's the Shiseido Anessa right on my very own eyes and soaked in rain LOL...  So I took pride in myself being one of Shibuno's early IG followers even before the BO LOL.  There was <10k following her then... I dunno now, over 500k i think LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 18majors said:

We've got one player each in 2018 and 2019; Jeong Eun Lee6 in 2018 and Yui Kawamoto in 2019.  By the same token, we should have two this year; one for 2020 and one for this year.

My bet is we'll get more than 2; but we'll need to wait until the end of November to find out.

Sad to say, Yui had so much promise but decided NOT to peruse his good "status" in 2021... (even 2020 she didn't really peruse it).  Of course JLee6 is a different story altogether.  Hence why I truly admire: Haru, Nasa, Ai, Hideki, Tommy N, etc -- those guys uprooted and are commendable even if they failed (Rui is the clearest example)...  And why I'm more than "Excited" following Hinako and am a "fanboy" of hers (as @18majors knows since a few yrs back already...)  

As I said in the past:  Hinako (JPN), Bianca (PHL) and Yuka (JPN or PHL - who cares LOL ) = final flight final round final day on a major tournament with a 10 stroke lead over 4th placers LOL = heaven 

5 minutes ago, 18majors said:

That's a high compliment, considering you're truly a citizen of the world!

As I count, you've lived in the Philippines, Singapore, Pennsylvania and now Toronto.  And I'm sure I've missed many places in between!

yes you have missed some.... haha!  Trust me, I've rented over 2 decades (since I refused to buy then and a hassle to keep selling and buying properties when ill be moving every 2-3 yrs), moved over 10 times (I know them all moving companies,  domestic north america, cross country/border/ocean...)  Heck, I was actually "baffled" they considered New York/New Jersey to Toronto a DOMESTIC flight in both LaGuardia and Pearson... yup that baffled me initially 

And yes, I did want to work in Japan but, sad to say, either I marry one (and even then) or have a company sponsor me -- I was on the way to getting a diploma / minor in Japanese language/studies but decided not to and purely focus my true major LOL...

An aside: thankfully, it's only in SG which has right hand drive... otherwise, I'd definitely get my fair share of road accidents LOL

Edited by HMHS

19 hours ago, Supermilo said:

LOL... I'm  a "fanboy"?

Seriously though, I've always been fascinated about Japan - wanted to live/work there but couldnt... And since I like a lot of things Japanese, it was natural to follow the JLPGA, and everything about it - incl the Bashful Prince, Hideki, Aoki, etc etc etc...   

And yes, I visit Japan as I have quite a few Japanese friends too (who rarely visit us here in North America)... Last I went was in 2019 when, with my luck, Shibuno win's the Shiseido Anessa right on my very own eyes and soaked in rain LOL...  So I took pride in myself being one of Shibuno's early IG followers even before the BO LOL.  There was <10k following her then... I dunno now, over 500k i think LOL

Question:

So why are there so few Japanese here in Canada?

Is it their devotion to the mother land so they don't want to emigrate?

We see a ton of Chinese, Taiwanese, Filipino, Koreans, etc here in Canada for various reasons, to live abroad, education, investment, etc...so why not the same number of Japanese?

19 hours ago, Supermilo said:

Really???...you fanboyed Shibuno before her 2019 WBO win and actually followed/watched her play in a JLPGA event prior?

I along with many had never heard of the Smiling Cinderella prior to the 2019 WBO.

FWIW....I saw on TV last night....one of the actresses in Squid Games went from 400000 to 19M IG followers after she started in the series.

52 minutes ago, KBong said:

Question:

So why are there so few Japanese here in Canada?

Is it their devotion to the mother land so they don't want to emigrate?

We see a ton of Chinese, Taiwanese, Filipino, Koreans, etc here in Canada for various reasons, to live abroad, education, investment, etc...so why not the same number of Japanese?

I don't know... my guess is that the US is more attractive to them (no surprise) and/or they just prefer to be in their own country given the language barrier(s), different culture, etc etc....

47 minutes ago, KBong said:

Really???...you fanboyed Shibuno before her 2019 WBO win and actually followed/watched her play in a JLPGA event prior?

I along with many had never heard of the Smiling Cinderella prior to the 2019 WBO.

FWIW....I saw on TV last night....one of the actresses in Squid Games went from 400000 to 19M IG followers after she started in the series.

I was already following the JLPGA due to Ai, Haru, Nasa etc prior to seeing her in person... 

Was in Tokyo in July 2019 and saw it was perfect timing to watch a JLPGA event - forecast on that Weekend/Sunday wasnt good  to walk around so I took the train to the venue and just so happened that she won... like, ok, I've heard of her, but so what - she barely made the "pro-test" as they call it - won an event prior to that one so she was "up and coming" ...

One thing I definitely won't forget (aside fm the thrilling playoff) was that she dressed very elegantly during the final round despite the rain/drizzle (black blouse with dotted patterns LOL)

i distinctly recalled bec I said to myself: "boy she can go straight to a date if she wanted to after her match LOL".  From then on, I just followed her in IG and the Open win was more "dumb luck" -- heck she was ranked #45 at that time so I didn't put much into it LOL. 

Aside --> My wife was back in the hotel early and it was covered on TV, when she saw me watching the Open back here at the GC, she said: "hey didn't we see her win in Japan?" LOL... (she was watching TV in the hotel and I was on the course -- again, it was raining and at one point it was apparently pouring rain in tokyo so she headed back to the hotel to watch golf LOL)

3 minutes ago, KBong said:

The same could be said for the other countries too.

Yes - so I dunno why not Canada... maybe bec it's too far and too cold (esp out East).  Actually don't you guys have a "sizable" Japanese presence there?  I mean, in Seattle, Japantown/Chinatown is quite vibrant -- love it there actually -- that's where I get my kinokuniya fix LOL...   I can certainly understand why they'd choose to stay out in the West / Midwest - eg Nasa, Ichiro, Ohtani, etc

If you're saying the non-Japanese also have their language barriers, it's not really the same -- the Japanese have a different way to adapting -- hard to explain -- heck some of them have literal japanese translation of english textbooks so they do know how to write and speak english - they just don't do it -- something like if they can't do it properly, they're not going to embarass themselves (again, so hard to explain)...

10 minutes ago, KBong said:

Huh...WTH...is your wife a UNICORN...except for the 4 female WRX members.....FEW women watch women golf.

Is your wife addicted to playing golf?

She does follow golf, but I guess she might have been checking up on me on TV just to make sure I was behaving bwahahahaha.... 😛

Edited by HMHS
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Actually don't you guys have a "sizable" Japanese presence there? 

Nope.

I've played golf for 53 years....GTA and GVRD....and have maybe played golf with less that 5 Japanese golfers.

Many courses here have tee sheets packed with Koreans, including the club I play at.

Koreans are ADDICTED to golf...including the women too. I know a Korean lady who will also play in the winter rain/drizzle...WTH???

I used to work at Yonge & Finch in 1990-1992,,,before being transferred to Van City in 1992.....since I've left....Yonge & Finch is now one of the KoreaTowns in TO.

I used to play a ton at Westview GC...supposedly lots of Korean play there now.

Golf is so expensive in the GTA....Van City is kinda golf heaven....accessibility, kinda affordable and year round golf...but winter golf is a MUCK HOLE at many courses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

Actually don't you guys have a "sizable" Japanese presence there?

Yes, there is a very large Japanese - Canadian presence in British Columbia, but it is of the older generations that have lived here in Canada for 100 years or so and their descendents. There are not very many here that have immigrated from the younger generations.  And, because of the internment during the second world war, much of the Japanese Canadian population was dispered throughout places like the East and West Kootenays or even further east.    Otherwise, as KBong noted, there really are not many that still live in Metro Vancouver and actively play golf.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 18majors said:

This's shaping up to be the best Q-Series ever:

Da*m....no Mone Inami?...ugh.

It really is a shame  that Ha Na won't return to the LPGA...LUV her IN YOUR FACE fist pumping to shame her opponents when she is about to win a trophy.

It would make for good popcorn eating when Mollie would pair Ha Na with Dumbo for Thurs & Fri.

Hye Jin CYBORG Choi has been playing like garbage all year....she's lost her form...should have tried to qualify for the LPGA previously.

I predict Thitikul to finish top 5...likely a top 3...why?....her good play has been consistent.....I still think she has room for improvement with the flat stick.

Shibuno is a question mark...she's streaky with a bit of a loose swing.

I hope for a top 20 finish for Shibuno.

I think Pederson will get her card.

• Like 2

• HMHS locked this topic