QSeries 2021

HMHS

4 minutes ago, 18majors said:

With a star studded Q-Series coming up, it maybe worthwhile to predict "Who'll win 2021 Q-Series?"

My nominations are:  

Hinako Shibuno

Ayaka Furue

Atthaya Thitikul

there'll be only ONE winner... my bet is someone else... though all these 3 will make it barring injury, of course.  only wildcards here are: a) weather and b) endurance -- are these guys ready for 8 grueling rounds?  BUT, IT'S THE SAME FOR EVERYONE so it'll be a huge disappointment (for me) if even one don't make the grade...   I expect these 3 to make it even over Bianca (Bianca won't win this, she'll be grinding out to earn her card).  I think a Chinese or Korean take the crown/medal here.

Edited by HMHS
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

I think a Chinese or Korean take the crown/medal here.

That's the intrigue, we don't know who'll show up from Korea other than Yae Eun Hong from Symetra Tour.

I can't think of a Chinese who'll contend.  Their best hope was Xiaowen Yin, but she can't play because of age limitations.  Players like Pauline Roussin-Bouchard, Stephanie Kyriacou, Bianca Pagdanganan, Andrea Lee, Jennifer Chang or Kristen Gillman may surprise.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, 18majors said:

That's the intrigue, we don't know who'll show up from Korea other than Yae Eun Hong from Symetra Tour.

I can't think of a Chinese who'll contend.  Their best hope was Xiaowen Yin, but she can't play because of age limitations.  Players like Pauline Roussin-Bouchard, Stephanie Kyriacou, Bianca Pagdanganan, Andrea Lee, Jennifer Chang or Kristen Gillman may surprise.

oh those stage 2 chinese big guns wont play?  then ok, my bet's on a korean, whoever she is LOL... both japanese will be in the top 15 (Eg Ayaka and Hinako)... and atthaya will be in the top 10 ties included...

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

there'll be only ONE winner... my bet is someone else... 

I agree....I think a LPGA pro who wants to improve their priority status wins Q-Series.

Thitikul is working on a putting stroke change, Shibuno can be inconsistent....but showing form as of late.

Who knows which POSER Bianca P will show up.

1 minute ago, KBong said:

I agree....I think a LPGA pro who wants to improve their priority status wins Q-Series.

Thitikul is working on a putting stroke change, Shibuno can be inconsistent....but showing form as of late.

Who knows which POSER Bianca P will show up.

If Shibuno is defined as inconsistent, then Bianca is, I would say "wildly" inconsistent 🤣...  but over the course of 8 rounds, I suspect Shibuno will only be inconsistent on a few holes within rounds which means she will make it. Her scorecards the past few JLPGA tournaments  dating to Sept 2020 indicate such.  She's taking risks smartly and not necessarily making course management mistakes, but rather, execution mistakes (eg pulled putt here or there, mishit here or there -- all due to adjustment frm equipment and swing, as mentioned already).

Bianca, on the other hand, for me,  suffers from a lack of conditioning and poor course management that contributes to her maddening inconsistency.  Her length is severely negated by weak iron play, something which all Japanese that I like excel in - to this day, I am still figuring out why the Japanese players that I like are so good at their iron play and in compressing the ball -- must be from sword forgery during the samurai days LOL.  Nasa, Hinako, Hideki are all spectacular iron players.   

Bianca's putting has improved of late so that brings her back to her 2020 level.  She also hated the switch in her irons but I would've asked her to continue sticking with the new equipment (which she didn't).  Again, I'm no remote caddy...  I also say her conditioning needs improvement as she always fades in the end of rounds and on the latter rounds if she makes the cut -- it's been the same story ever since.  She isn't a Hideki in terms of practice time on the course, that's for sure 🤣  Still rooting for her though and my dream flight continues to be a Hinako, Yuka and Bianca on the last day of a major 🤣... 

33 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

...  but over the course of 8 rounds, I suspect Shibuno will only be inconsistent on a few holes within rounds which means she will make it. . 

Agree...that over 8 rds vs. 4 rds....players like Thitikul, Shibuno and Furue should make it through Q-Series.

What clubs did Shibuno and Bianca change from?

I wonder if the Japanese Olympic silver medalist gal has registered for Q-Series.

A lot of gals dreams would be shattered if more KLPGA registered for Q-Series and likely would be successful.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Bianca, on the other hand, for me,  suffers from a lack of conditioning and poor course management that contributes to her maddening inconsistency.  Her length is severely negated by weak iron play, something which all Japanese that I like excel in - to this day, I am still figuring out why the Japanese players that I like are so good at their iron play and in compressing the ball -- must be from sword forgery during the samurai days LOL.  Nasa, Hinako, Hideki are all spectacular iron players.   

Bianca's putting has improved of late so that brings her back to her 2020 level.  She also hated the switch in her irons but I would've asked her to continue sticking with the new equipment (which she didn't).  Again, I'm no remote caddy...  I also say her conditioning needs improvement as she always fades in the end of rounds and on the latter rounds if she makes the cut -- it's been the same story ever since.  She isn't a Hideki in terms of practice time on the course, that's for sure 🤣 

We don't see a lot of Bianca on TV.....so I don't know much about her game.

But yes....considering her length and likely playing 2-3 irons shorter approach shots...her GIR isn't great = poor ball striking.

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

oh those stage 2 chinese big guns wont play?  then ok, my bet's on a korean, whoever she is LOL... both japanese will be in the top 15 (Eg Ayaka and Hinako)... and atthaya will be in the top 10 ties included...

Only one will. Xiaowen Yin is out due to age. The other Yin will play. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Still rooting for her though and my dream flight continues to be a Hinako, Yuka and Bianca on the last day of a major 🤣... 

You can verify....I believe as an Am....Saso used to wear Loudmouth shorts/pants and I think her dad (chaperone) and loop would wear Loudmouth too.

I attended the 2018 Cdn Women's Am here for 2 days here.

Look at the attached 4th rd pairing sheet...so many LPGA pros or highly ranked Am's played.

I didn't know a lot of the names back then...that I now know nowadays.

It was like a NCAA event...so many college golf bags....gals who did not have college bags were too young to attend university.

Chatted with Latana Stone's dad for a while...he was really funny what he thought and told me about some of the Am gals.

I've played Marine Drive quite a few times....IMO...not one of the private tracks I prefer here....though they do have one of the better junior programs in the GVRD and one of the best Cdn Am's...Doug Roxborough....who has been quite involved in junior golf development. @Golf Dino might even know him.

We get few good pro and Am events here in the PNW.

https://golfcanada.bluegolf.com/bluegolfw/rcga18/event/rcga18246/pairings.htm?r=df88ea04-7dbb-4461-96e5-bc692d7c2a7b

6 minutes ago, KBong said:

You can verify....I believe as an Am....Saso used to wear Loudmouth shorts/pants and I think her dad (chaperone) and loop would wear Loudmouth too.

I attended the 2018 Cdn Women's Am here for 2 days here.

Look at the attached 4th rd pairing sheet...so many LPGA pros or highly ranked Am's played.

I didn't know a lot of the names back then...that I now know nowadays.

It was like a NCAA event...so many college golf bags....gals who did not have college bags were too young to attend university.

Chatted with Latana Stone's dad for a while...he was really funny what he thought and told me about some of the Am gals.

I've played Marine Drive quite a few times....IMO...not one of the private tracks I prefer here....though they do have one of the better junior programs in the GVRD and one of the best Cdn Am's...Doug Roxborough....who has been quite involved in junior golf development. @Golf Dino might even know him.

We get few good pro and Am events here in the PNW.

https://golfcanada.bluegolf.com/bluegolfw/rcga18/event/rcga18246/pairings.htm?r=df88ea04-7dbb-4461-96e5-bc692d7c2a7b

Confirmed!  She wore it as late as 2019 US Women's Open... Her dad is her coach and manager (till they outsourced it last month to a company that represented her - same company that represents Brittany Lincicome, forgot the name - not IMG for sure LOL)

5 minutes ago, KBong said:

So there's hope for The GREAT People of China???....POSER Muni has disappointed.🤣

I actually saw her look kinda "lost" in last weekend's COTA F1 event when she was accompanying her BF (Alex Albon) talk to Yuki Tsunoda after the race.  Can't blame her though for being lost as that's not her forte -- though if she was really keen in supporting her beau, she should at least make the effort to know Alex's peers/friends... Anyway, there WAS some hope with your favorite Jenny doing quite well, now I dunno who'll be taking up the "cudgels" so to speak... 

Jinx be damned: "The course is very difficult. I thought winning here would give me a lot of confidence for the American tour." " In the winning interview, she declared her next goal as "December Q Series (US Tour Qualifying)", but hasn't relaxed even if she won. This week we have 17 birdies and 8 bogies. "I think there are a lot of them"...

"Until now, it was only wedges, but it has been expanded to other clubs such as hitting 145yd with 6I. Hiroshi Sasaki, who was watching next to me, was surprised at the high accuracy"....

Just now, Golf Dino said:

Sterling Sports Management.  Ricky Razon of ICTSI apparently brokered the arrangement. 

yes, on point for both... Razon is the "godfather" of Philippine women's golf ... more so than Manny Pangilinan (who funds Philippine sports, in general: basketball, boxing, etc through his MVP Foundation)

2 hours ago, KBong said:

and one of the best Cdn Am's...Doug Roxborough....who has been quite involved in junior golf development.

Met him once when he was competing.  The year I met him was at my home club as one of our members went on to win the BC Mid Amateur Chanpionship and would act as host for the Mid Am in a subsequent year.   He was Canadian Amateur Champion a few times plus I believe the Canadian Senior Men's Champion.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Golf Dino said:

He was Canadian Amateur Champion a few times plus I believe the Canadian Senior Men's Champion.

Ya....I chatted with Doug a couple of times I saw him at some local tournaments I attended to watch.

If you're referring to Doug, as the above.

Yes, Doug has won on many levels both provincially and nationally.

https://britishcolumbiagolf.org/uncategorized/3851-the-legend-continues-as-doug-roxburgh-wins-his-fifth-b-c-senior-men’s-title

It was fun watching Brian Alexander, a past BC Sr. Am Champ, getting razed by Tina and the members at VGC at the 2012 CWO when he was looping for Lydia.

Rod Black interviewed Brian at the 2015 CWO...Brain was called upon to loop for Lydia in 2012...when Tina looked at Brian she questioned if he was capable to lug the bag for the week....lol.

Hello Tina....it's free...he's volunteering....no wonder I'm SCARED of Tina.🤣

Gotta believe Brian saved Lydia at least 4-6 strokes reading some putts on the subtle breaks in the VGC greens.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KBong said:

Agree...that over 8 rds vs. 4 rds....players like Thitikul, Shibuno and Furue should make it through Q-Series.

What clubs did Shibuno and Bianca change from?

I wonder if the Japanese Olympic silver medalist gal has registered for Q-Series.

A lot of gals dreams would be shattered if more KLPGA registered for Q-Series and likely would be successful.

Shibuno added more wedges (in varying degrees) into her bag, Bianca went to the new PING irons that were released this year...  I forgot all the exact specs of Shibuno's wedges but I wrote it down in another forum here LOL... 

AFAIK, only those 2 are the more "heralded" Japanese gals in QSeries (I surmised through the WOWOW feed / special telecast - they only had those 2)

And yes, the more JLPGA/KLPGA notables enter the QSeries, the tougher it gets.  I suspect it was JLee6 that had a hand in convincing Shibuno to enter QSeries (albeit small), truth be told - but she shouldve convinced her earlier when she had an exemption after winning the Open! Anyway, water under the bridge.  I expect Lee6 and Hinako to be the ones goofing around in 2022 if Hinako eventually makes it...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

I suspect it was JLee6 that had a hand in convincing Shibuno to enter QSeries (albeit small), truth be told

Thanks Lee6, that's a great move!

With all due respect, even though Lee6 was a great coup for LPGA; Shibuno would be a much bigger fish for LPGA because of her 509,000 followers on Instagram.

Edited by 18majors

5 hours ago, 18majors said:

With all due respect, even though Lee6 was a great coup for LPGA; Shibuno would be a much bigger fish for LPGA because of her 509,000 followers on Instagram.

Now who's turn is to troll? 🤣     

I hope Ayaka Furue makes it through to the main tour.  I think she will.  Over 8 - rounds, it becomes easier to separate the "wheat from the chafe" and she has a good game--at least from her performance at the USWO, etc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Supermilo said:

1) Bianca went to the new PING irons that were released this year...  

2) I suspect it was JLee6 that had a hand in convincing Shibuno to enter QSeries (albeit small), truth be told -

I expect Lee6 and Hinako to be the ones goofing around in 2022 if Hinako eventually makes it...

1) Must be the i59 irons...if she upgraded from i210's.

I suspect the i59's feel clicky...they have a thin 17-4 stainless steel face welded to a 1025 body.

There's a large i59 thread here that I've yet to read.

2) ????....Lucky 6 and Shibuno are friends...how?

Though JKY is friends with the ECP and Gaby.

7 hours ago, 18majors said:

Shibuno is a HUGE fish in Japan.

Unless she dominates and wins a lot on the LPGA, including majors....I can't see Shibuno being a huge force with American fans.

Only hard core LPGA fans who know Shibuno...appreciate her GREAT personality.

I want Shibuno to dominate...but I somehow suspect she'll only be a 50-60th LPGA money type player...hope I'm WRONG.

Rather than replying to each post:

A) I wish IG had a tracker on who followed when, my wife started following Hinako before 10k followers were there (I dont have an IG acct, she has bec she posts pics, I don't  Haha)

B) Bianca seems to be "back" or still using the 210s, I'm not a PING "user" so I don't exactly know what came after - she did have a prototype putter but again, not sure if she is back to Anser (she used fang putters in college if I recall right)... Hinako, also seems to be using 210s though ... 

C) Despite her Open win, plus decent 2020 US Open showing, I agree Hinako still isnt a US household name. Even Hideki isn't, as much as ESPN kept pushing it last April as they had some Masters coverage (eg I still remember Van Pelt and Tom Rinaldi etc acting as if they know much about Hideki, when even Japanese media doesn't know much about him, in all honesty... At least GC had the decency to admit such and even Rex Kuramoto admitted as much)

• HMHS locked this topic