2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

US Open moving towards a rota system.

stinger_gc

The USGA likes to host US Opens where its committee members and their spouses may enjoy area scenery, hotel amenities, fine dining etc....For example, Olympic Club is not that great a course, and most players don't seem to like it, but USGA brass like to visit SF. I think the same is true for Pinehurst.

• Sad 2

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

31 minutes ago, fairways4life said:

What's odd is that the USGA has already chosen a venue for the US Open in 2051 (3 decades from now!) but has yet to choose one for 2028 (only 6 years from now).  

So participants here don't have to do a Google search...........2051 US Open is scheduled for Oakland Hills GC.

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/usga-announces-venue-for-2051-us-open

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

the USGA is real big on tradition...thats a good thing and a not so good thing...Im tired of some of the older venues, and I realize a lot of procuring these venues is both political and financial implications, but why not return to Sahalee (sp) or why not one of these high dollar exclusive clubs in Montana, the summers there are fabulous and the wind is sure to blow, and you may not get better views

14 minutes ago, 3whacker said:

the USGA is real big on tradition...thats a good thing and a not so good thing...Im tired of some of the older venues, and I realize a lot of procuring these venues is both political and financial implications, but why not return to Sahalee (sp) or why not one of these high dollar exclusive clubs in Montana, the summers there are fabulous and the wind is sure to blow, and you may not get better views

A lot of venues that could potentially be cool, but in many cases it comes down to who the heck is going to attend. I have a hard time seeing a course in Montana getting packed with fans, which obviously the USGA wants (and as a viewer, most of us want that too). And if fans do travel (which they will need to if you're talking about a more rural area), are there hotels nearby for them?

Plus you have to consider additional land to use for media center, merchandise tent, range, parking, USGA temporary offices and other infrastructure etc. It's a lot of logistics. The USGA has stated that the reason they like Pinehurst so much is that there is so much surrounding land for them to utilize for these things and also that there are so many willing volunteers in the area (big retirement location). Plus the Raleigh and Charlotte metro areas are nearby so there's not a big dependence on attracting out-of-town fans. A lot more to consider about hosting the rodeo show than just the golf course unfortunately. 

Edited by fairways4life
  • Like 2

Legendary Donald Ross Oak Hill in Rochester sadly misses out. Too bad especially because of the new dumb schedule with the PGA Championship in May. North East weather can be very unpredictable with cold and rain, even a bit of snow during this period. All it's going take is one bad weather May tournament and they'll never come back.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Danielson said:

The Pine Valley reputation is that their members are actual golfers. They don't want any days where they can't get out and play, unlike some of the other high dollar clubs where a membership is more for the prestige than the golf course.

Yes plus, from my memory playing there twice (a long time ago), the complete absence of space for fan viewing and movement,  corp tents, parking, etc. 

Edited by Duct Tape
  • Like 3

No beef from me re rota. Two of my top three in US (Cypress will never host a significant pro tourney again) are on the list. I could watch golf at Shinnecock or Merion every weekend all year. 

I hope Southern Hills makes it back, but it gets d@mn hot there the third week in June! 

Agree with posts on Oakland Hills, a fabulous Ross course.   The only course I’d place above it in the upper Midwest (having never played any Chicago area tracks) would be Crystal Downs (number five on my list, after Prairie Dunes). 

Oakmont?  Meh. I came off that course feeling like I’d been in 15 rounds with Mike Tyson, and lost. Famous classic course but not my favorite.  I realize this is USGA, and maybe WRX, heresy. 

Colonial?  Part of the great Maxwell trifecta but third in my preference  and not best option for Open, esp in summer. 

Edited by Duct Tape
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Danielson said:

The Pine Valley reputation is that their members are actual golfers. They don't want any days where they can't get out and play, unlike some of the other high dollar clubs where a membership is more for the prestige than the golf course.

Yes, and I expect those members are not interested in having anyone tell them how to set up that golf course.  Well, there is always the Crump Cup Sunday final.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duct Tape said:

No beef from me re rota. Two of my top three in US (Cypress will never host a significant pro tourney again) are on the list. I could watch golf at Shinnecock or Merion every weekend all year. 

I hope Southern Hills makes it back, but it gets d@mn hot there the third week in June! 

Agree with posts on Oakland Hills, a fabulous Ross course.   The only course I’d place above it in the upper Midwest (having never played any Chicago area tracks) would be Crystal Downs (number five on my list, after Prairie Dunes). 

Oakmont?  Meh. I came off that course feeling like I’d been in 15 rounds with Mike Tyson, and lost. Famous classic course but not my favorite.  I realize this is USGA, and maybe WRX, heresy. 

Colonial?  Part of the great Maxwell trifecta but third on my list and not best option for Open, esp in summer. 

I honestly dont think Cypress cares if they ever host a major event again, and its a shame because its a great test of golf along with Poppy Hills..and I agree about Southern Hills in June, I think its going to be very warm for the PGA in May...Colonial even with their Par 70 has no chance in June, just like Champions in Houston

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 11:22 PM, Steele47 said:

I love the old story of the actor Victor Mature who tried to get a membership at LA Country Club.  He was turned down because they did not want/accept actors as members.  His response was something like,  "My films prove I'm no actor".  

Robert Stack was one of the few, maybe only, actor there because his parents were members and he grew up playing there

On 4/20/2022 at 6:55 PM, KizIsTheMan said:

https://golf.com/news/usga-pebble-beach-anchor-site-future-majors/

Not surprising at all. I expect Winged Foot to be named next. I am curious to see if they'll make any changes to Pebble ahead of the 2027 tournament. -13 won last time and 31 players finished under-par which is something the USGA probably hated.

If only The US Open was at Cypress Point.... But never happening. 

• Like 1

The move to a rota makes sense for a lot of reasons. The best-run major championship is - without a doubt - The Masters. The huge advantage that The Masters has is that it is held at the same course every year, so they can make major investments in infrastructure to support the event and its fans. By guaranteeing future events to sites, the USGA can work with the venues to make long-term improvements to the facilities to deliver a higher quality experience.

• Like 2

Torrey Pines will be a semi-regular US Open host. There are relatively few viable West Coast sites and it is hugely lucrative for the USGA to have the tournament at a municipal course in Southern California.

As for the Open - it's not going to Turnberry until the ownership changes, and Royal Lytham is likely to be boxed out because of its size and location.

20 minutes ago, BottleCap said:

They've had two great US Opens at Torrey Pines, they should get another one

I totally respect your opinion.  That being said I did not think they were great.  The architecture is uninspiring and I don’t care if Woods won.  Even though I’m middle class and probably will never play these courses give me Merion and Shinnecock types all day long.  I’ve played Torrey South once and I’ll go back someday, but the desire is not strong.  

Edited by So_Cal
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, So_Cal said:

I totally respect your opinion.  That being said I did not think they were great.  The architecture is uninspiring and I don’t care if Woods won.  Even though I’m middle class and probably will never play these courses give me Merion and Shinnecock types all day long.  I’ve played Torrey South once and I’ll go back someday, but the desire is not strong.  

I know what you mean about playing Torrey South, It's a kick in the nuts, over and over again.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

3 minutes ago, BottleCap said:

I know what you mean about playing Torrey South, It's a kick in the nuts, over and over again.

That’s not so much my issue. Difficulty is fine. Heck the conditioning there is excellent as well.  I prefer strategic golf courses.  At Torrey you’re basically playing penal golf the entire round.  That being said it’s a beautiful place to play.  

On 4/21/2022 at 7:24 AM, fairways4life said:

I'm not a huge fan of majors being played at regular tour stops. I just saw Torrey Pines in January. I don't care to see it again in June. Ditto for Pebble. 

Part of what I like about majors is seeing courses that I haven't seen for a long time (or possibly ever). I don't remember much of anything about Brookline so that gets me excited for it. 

I applaud the USGA for going outside the box and trying new courses. Bethpage in 2002 was the first (during my time as a golf fan anyway) and it was a hit. But like any good movie, we then get a sequel that more often than not sucks (Chambers Bay) and then complete the trilogy with something that also typically sucks (Erin Hills). But I applaud the effort that was made. Obviously they aren't picking venues that they know are going to be duds. I'm excited to see LACC next year.

What's odd is that the USGA has already chosen a venue for the US Open in 2051 (3 decades from now!) but has yet to choose one for 2028 (only 6 years from now).  

2028 has to be Winged Foot.  The USGA is trending back to the classics and I have to think they will keep Winged Foot in that group. 

I still remember when Bethpage was used for a US open for the first time.  For a public course that anybody can play it was always a bucket list item for me to play a US open course.  Over 10 years later I was able to get a tee time and play Bethpage.  Wish they would throw in more public venues every now and then to allow normal golfers to experience a US open course.  I always thought it was cool that all of Tiger's US open wins were on public golf courses.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bvmagic said:

I still remember when Bethpage was used for a US open for the first time.  For a public course that anybody can play it was always a bucket list item for me to play a US open course.  Over 10 years later I was able to get a tee time and play Bethpage.  Wish they would throw in more public venues every now and then to allow normal golfers to experience a US open course.  I always thought it was cool that all of Tiger's US open wins were on public golf courses.  

Pebble and Pinehurst have about 10 Opens on the calendar.  I don’t see too many other options tbh.  What do you recommend?  Not many open slots left…

1 minute ago, So_Cal said:

Pebble and Pinehurst have about 10 Opens on the calendar.  I don’t see too many other options tbh.  What do you recommend?  Not many open slots left…

No particular recommendations.  Was just nice to see them take a chance on Bethpage at the time to bring it to the spotlight.  Who knows what other course is out there the USGA could take a chance on.  Of course they also took a chance on Chambers bay and that didn't work out well.  Pebble and Pinehurst are expected, just nice to see something new once in a while.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bvmagic said:

No particular recommendations.  Was just nice to see them take a chance on Bethpage at the time to bring it to the spotlight.  Who knows what other course is out there the USGA could take a chance on.  Of course they also took a chance on Chambers bay and that didn't work out well.  Pebble and Pinehurst are expected, just nice to see something new once in a while.  

Only a generation ago, taking the US Open to a public venue (Pebble and Pinehurst) was revolutionary. Over the past 30 years, nearly half (13) of the US Opens played have been on public-access courses (Pebble, Pinehurst, Torrey Pines, Bethpage, Erin Hills, Chambers Bay) compared with just 2 in the previous 96 years (both at Pebble).

Winged Foot is the favorite for 2028 for the simple reason that the event in 2020 was practically cancelled. Hosting an Open is a big deal for the membership to entertain guests, and the WF membership lost that opportunity in 2020. They got all the pain of hosting with practically none of the upside so the USGA will make it right.

1 hour ago, raynorfan1 said:

Only a generation ago, taking the US Open to a public venue (Pebble and Pinehurst) was revolutionary. Over the past 30 years, nearly half (13) of the US Opens played have been on public-access courses (Pebble, Pinehurst, Torrey Pines, Bethpage, Erin Hills, Chambers Bay) compared with just 2 in the previous 96 years (both at Pebble).

Winged Foot is the favorite for 2028 for the simple reason that the event in 2020 was practically cancelled. Hosting an Open is a big deal for the membership to entertain guests, and the WF membership lost that opportunity in 2020. They got all the pain of hosting with practically none of the upside so the USGA will make it right.

The next USGA announcement will be to make Winged Foot and Shinnecock the next anchor sites. I think Bethpage, Olympic, and Congressional are dead to the USGA since they are aligned with the PGA of America now.  That does bring up a good question, would you rather host a US Open or a PGA Championship/Ryder Cup??

1 hour ago, KizIsTheMan said:

The next USGA announcement will be to make Winged Foot and Shinnecock the next anchor sites. I think Bethpage, Olympic, and Congressional are dead to the USGA since they are aligned with the PGA of America now.  That does bring up a good question, would you rather host a US Open or a PGA Championship/Ryder Cup??

hard to compare the three, because the US Open with the traditional June Father's Day date  virtually eliminates every course south  of the Mason Dixon line, moving the PGA up to May has opened more venues, and the RC or PC with an early fall or late summer date opens up just about the whole country

4 hours ago, KizIsTheMan said:

Personally, I think it’s unlikely that both Winged Foot and Shinnecock become anchor sites. My guess is that it’s more likely to be Shinnecock than WF, but neither would shock me. 

The problem with the PGA Championship + Ryder Cup construct is that there are 4 PGA Championships for every one Ryder Cup. Presumably the new PGA course in Frisco will alleviate some of this pressure. 

5 hours ago, KizIsTheMan said:

I think both WF and Shinny will be in the rotation for the foreseeable future.  Not sure if there are enough dates for more anchor sites.   What’s better?  Heck I think both are awesome.  If you’re a member of a club that hosts any of those tournaments it’s very prestigious.