Need cheap graphite shaft recommendation for "range/car" set.

Gerr

I have an old set of Ping Zing iron heads I want to build to use a range/car set.   I don't want to leave an expensive set of clubs in my car's trunk 24/7 in case it's ever broken into, so need this on the cheap.  My main set of irons are Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro's with Nippon Modus3 105 Regular shafts.  However, due to a recent shoulder injury, I am swinging much slower, so bought another set I call my "injury" set composed of PXG 0211 irons with MMT 70 Regular shafts.  I want the shafts to fall somewhere in between the specs of these two shafts and be $25 or under, and prefer under $20.  I prefer lower launching shafts as the Ping Zings have traditional lofts, so they are several degrees weaker than modern clubs, so a low launching shaft would be ideal.  Ping Zing's are .370's, so parallel shafts only please.  

I am considering...

FST 90 steel iron shafts in regular.

Grafalloy ProLaunch SuperCharged Red Graphite iron shafts in regular.

UST Mamiya iRN Graphite iron shafts in regular.

UST Mamiya Competition Series Graphite iron shafts in regular.

Graphite Design G-Tech Graphite iron shafts in regular.

Nippon Pro 950GH steel iron shafts in regular.  *only if I can catch a sale*

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Black Graphite iron shafts in regular.  *only if I can catch a sale*

Any thoughts on the above shafts or other recommendations?

Absolutely, Zings are .355 tapers (Ping has never used anything but taper).  Unless they've been reamed to .370 for some reason.  If they have the OE shaft, they're taper.  Which presents something of a problem.  Limits your "cheap" graphite options, as most if not all are .370.  Furthermore, splitting the weight difference between 105g and 70g puts you in the ~85/90g gram range.  Inexpensive .355 at that weight are a unicorn.  You're inquiring about graphite, but have a couple steel options listed.  Only the 950 is available in taper, and "low launch" is not a trajectory usually attributed to 950's.  

If you're doing the reshaft work yourself, could sand a .370 graphite down to fit into .355.  Only the last .5" is tapered.  And after the correct tip trim.   A builder, perhaps not.  They may or may not want to mess with it.  And would add to the expense (time is money).  Lastly, are you looking to reshaft an entire set (3 - PW/SW) or something less.  All this before facing a swing weight issue moving from the typical OE Zing shafts (JZ or KT/KT-M) to lighter weight graphites.  Old school Pings with steel typically had SW's in the C9 range.  Lighter weights are going to make the SW's lighter as well.  If that's of concern. 

If it were me, which it isn't, would be shopping for an appropriate (tip, weight, trajectory, length) set of pulls.  Off the Bay, a WTB request in that forum, other venues.  If you can accept utilizing used shafts.  Some can, others cannot.  Older ping graphites (TFC 129 - 189) show up periodically, and with prudent shopping, can be had for a decent price.  It's the value play.  Have to perform your due diligence on how they spec out relative to shaft lengths and condition.  Going to be lighter than your targeted weight though.  

Didn't intend to over complicate your inquiry.  But you did ask about thoughts and recommendations,  and these are the issues as I see it from afar.  Lot of gymnastics to configure a "cheap" set for the expressed purpose of being able to leave them in your vehicle 24/7.  

• Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Either way you could use the taper shafts you have. Worst case is you have to buy some shims, which are cheap.

Some combo of any or all:

Ping G400 LST 10* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Rogue SZ 15* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Cally 416 19* Hybrid w/ Diamana S+ 82g Stiff
4-PW: Callaway (OG) Apex w/ KBS PGI 80g / Bridgestone J40 Combo 4-P w/ Steelfiber i95 Stiff
52*, 56* Vokey SM5's

60* Wilson Staff
Ping Ti Anser Wrx

Insert a .370 and a .355 shaft into a head. If they go in the same distance they were reamed. If the .355 goes in more than the .370 then they weren't. Keep in mind that Pings are usually a very tight fit at the bottom so make sure you fully insert the shaft.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

A 0.370 graphite shaft can be easily sanded down to fit in a 0.355 taper shaft based on research on the forum and  I have done it no problems whatsoever.

Also Monark golf has inexpensive shafts, I have used many types of Accuflex shafts over the years and never have been disappointed.

https://www.monarkgolf.com/golf-components/shafts/graphite-golf-shafts/accuflex-assassin-ii-world-champion-iron.html

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

If you are going to use graphite shafts make sure the hosel has an interior bevel of 20* at the top…some of the older irons did not come beveled. Also I would suggest using a ferrule, it helps the shaft from possible breakage at the top of the hosel. 

Edited by Sparty4202
  • Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

A fun additional factor...

The Zing is the clubhead that caused the creation of the KT-M shaft, out of the ashes of the KT shaft.  The tips needed reinforcing due to that lovely added weight at the toe, a lot of bent KT shafts in those days.

KBS shafts need not apply for use in Zing clubheads.  😉

If you're planning on using cheaper (and lighter) graphite shafts, I would worry about tip breakage from the Zing Effect.  I also freely admit this could be an unenlightened comment.  🙂

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Consider looking for a set of pulls on Ebay. I got my Fujikura Pro irons for $130 for 7.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

Older Ping heads are quite light so if using ultra light graphite shafts you are going to need to add a fair bit of head weight.  Unfortunately, graphite tip weights kind of suck because a lot of them eat up insertion depth which is not good when working with Ping irons.  I think there are some long brass tip weights that shoot way up the shafts so you may need those.  In addition, lead tape may be needed too.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

5 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

A fun additional factor...

The Zing is the clubhead that caused the creation of the KT-M shaft, out of the ashes of the KT shaft.  The tips needed reinforcing due to that lovely added weight at the toe, a lot of bent KT shafts in those days.

KBS shafts need not apply for use in Zing clubheads.  😉

If you're planning on using cheaper (and lighter) graphite shafts, I would worry about tip breakage from the Zing Effect.  I also freely admit this could be an unenlightened comment.  🙂

Oh so true…the Zings were one of my favorite Ping irons until a number of the shafts bent!!

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour