2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Mizuno ST-Z 220 and ST-X 220

AtlantaGolf3

26 minutes ago, mj2936 said:

A little off topic here but are the fairway woods for this iteration bondes rather than with the adujustible adapter??

They are bonded 

WITB:

Ai Smoke Max 9* Tensei 1k Blue

Ai Smoke Max 5w Ventus Blue +

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping Blueprints S 5-P Modus 105S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Tour X

Cracked and pulled the trigger on the ST-Z 220. Rolled the Ebay dice, should arrive in 2 weeks or so. Couldn't pass it up for an over $100 discount. Now to sell my 2021 ST-Z and recoup the cost...

• Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 220 8.5° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 / 60g

3w: Mizuno ST-Z 15° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

5w: Mizuno ST-Z 18° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

4i-5i: Mizuno Pro 223 - Project X Rifle 6.5

6i-PW: Mizuno Pro 221 - Project X Rifle 6.5

50.07S: Mizuno T22 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
54.10S: Mizuno T24 - Satin Chrome - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
60.12V: Mizuno T24 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1 T2 - 34"/69° -  Matte Black Shaft - Press No. II 3°

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Michael Newton on YouTube has reviewed both. Not in the same session but he's pretty consistent so you can probably get a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MichaelNewtonGolf/search?query=mizuno

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

25 minutes ago, jvincent said:

Michael Newton on YouTube has reviewed both. Not in the same session but he's pretty consistent so you can probably get a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MichaelNewtonGolf/search?query=mizuno

Don’t think you’ll get an accurate comparison since the ST-G is in a different ballpark. Chris Voshall talked about the comparisons on recent TXG Podcast. Basically the ST-G is more low spinning and of course lots more adjustable weighting options. I guess I fairer comparison is if you tried to manipulate the weights somehow to mimic the ST-Z, but even then there are several other factors to consider in the ST-G build. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-txg-podcast/id1488603839?i=1000550513051

• Like 1

I would love a comparison on all the drivers from ST-190 to the STZ 220 if anyone has hit them all. I just picked up a new STZ and am going to test it against my ST-190.  Mizuno is in that sweet spot where they make drivers as good as anyone that you can get new one a year after release for sub $300.  I have 3 shafts with a Mizuno adapter so I hope they keep making great drivers!  

• Like 2

On 2/23/2022 at 8:54 PM, Bogeygolfisfun said:

Any updates from those that have the ST-Z 220 from on course, range or simulator time?  

I would be very interested in hearing about the forgiveness of these drivers.  Based on some internet reviews it sounded like a very forgiving driver on par with the Ping G425.  I am in the market for a new driver and this is moving up the list quickly.  I hope to get out and try one in a couple of weeks.  I have not played a Mizuno club since the early 2000's.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

1 hour ago, DE-ILLINI said:

I would be very interested in hearing about the forgiveness of these drivers.  Based on some internet reviews it sounded like a very forgiving driver on par with the Ping G425.  I am in the market for a new driver and this is moving up the list quickly.  I hope to get out and try one in a couple of weeks.  I have not played a Mizuno club since the early 2000's.

It's mega stable , but the stock tensei was not a great fit for me on the sim.

i have a ventus Tr, diamana PD, and speeder nx ready to go, going to try to get some numbers next week. Will report back. The head feels mega stable and I think it will be really helpful on course . 

it will be going up against the tsi2 with autoflex. I like both a lot but if the stz can give me tighter dispersion with slightly less distance, I'm all in. 

Edited by JourdanM
  • Like 3

WITB:

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Chrome Tour X

Just waiting for some snow to melt so I can hit this some more. Just installed a rdx red 60 tx tipped 2 inches into it.. I think it will be a killer combo.

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

14 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

Just waiting for some snow to melt so I can hit this some more. Just installed a rdx red 60 tx tipped 2 inches into it.. I think it will be a killer combo.

Fing snow! I definitely want to get a shaft dialed and take this with me to Florida in a couple weeks. For whatever reason, I've convinced myself that this will be the gamer. 

• Like 1

WITB:

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Chrome Tour X

Why hello there...

20220227_123052.jpg.376c314b22b3bcdcbf2f8e2395629e11.jpg20220227_123155.jpg.2cf73dfa7ed68ba0f91130f94ded8832.jpg

• Like 3

Putter: L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1 T2 - 34"/69° -  Matte Black Shaft - Press No. II 3°

Came stock with a Smoke Blue. Gonna test it against my Smoke Black and see which I like better. I can already tell that the Blue flexes a _lot_ more.

I did want to ask about the shaft. I've seen the Smoke Blue with a blue shaft and white lettering, here it's a black shaft with blue lettering. Is there a difference in the product?

12 hours ago, picardyThird said:

Couldn't resist temptation, took the new ST-Z 220 out on the course today alongside my old 2021 ST-Z. It was 50 degrees and windy (not my favorite combination), but I couldn't just let the new stick sit inside.

The ST-Z 220 was completely stock: 9.5 degrees, HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0, Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid grip.

The 2021 ST-Z was fitted to me: 8.25 degrees, HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0, Winn Dri-Tac Wrap grip.

I'll admit, I was nervous as I stepped up to the second tee (first hole isn't a driver hole). The Smoke Blue RDX is significantly softer in the midsection than the Smoke Black RDX, and moreover I could feel a noticeable difference in weight between the two clubs. The ST-Z 220 feels much lighter than the 2021 ST-Z (this could possibly be due to the fact that Smoke Blue RDX is counterbalanced). Keeping in mind the differences in shaft characteristics, I stepped up to the tee.

And blasted a beautiful baby fade 265 yards uphill into the wind into what must have been the geometric center of the fairway.

I hit the 2021 ST-Z alongside the ST-Z 220 for about 3-4 holes, before leaving it in the bag. The ST-Z 220 is just better. I really, honestly, truly was not expecting such a huge difference. The first noticeable change is, obviously, the weight. Again, while this may be due to the differences in shafts, the ST-Z 220 head just felt lighter and easier to swing. Now, I must once again reiterate that the shafts were different, and I wasn't used to loading the "flexier" Smoke Blue RDX. But still, I didn't have any problems at all swinging this club. 

The feel is out of this world. The 2021 ST-Z felt great, I absolutely loved it, but head to head against the ST-Z 220 there's no comparison. The ST-Z 220 feels softer, and "flows" through impact much better. On the best hits, it didn't even feel like I hit anything, and on the worst mishits it still felt satisfyingly "full".

On the topic of mishits: This thing flies straight. Ridiculously straight. Out of 13 swings with the ST-Z 220 (I hit multiple balls on a couple of holes), only 3 had any appreciable off-line sidespin, and all three were completely my fault. On one of them, I slashed at the ball, and must have had something like 7 degree out-to-in with 4 degrees face-to-path, on top of a low heel strike. Obviously this one is going to slice right. Yet, it still didn't slice as hard as one might have expected; it was still perfectly playable. The other two off-liners were pull hooks, which were again completely my fault, and again, while they were undeniably pull hooks they were still playable pull hooks. A good recovery shot would put you on the green, or at worst chipping. Swings that I know would fly off to Valhalla with my 2021 ST-Z were either straight, or completely playable.

To be clear: It's not magic. When I say that it flew straight, and that there was almost no off-line curvature, I don't mean that it flew straight down the middle every time. I mean that it flew straight, relative to the start line. So if I left the face a bit open, it would fly straight right. Or if I left it a bit closed, straight left. Personally, I'm fine with this; it just means that I need to master delivering a flat face. I also don't want to suggest or imply that this thing isn't workable; I saw hints of baby fades and draws, and someone more skilled than me would most definitely be able to shape their shots. 

As for claims of forgiveness? Well, let me just paraphrase GolfNut: It's hilarious how far off-center you can strike this thing and still get 95-99% of your distance. I hit one drive high and heel-side, probably a full inch off of center: it was only about 5 yards behind another ball I'd hit in the center of the face. With this club, I feel confident just walking up and smacking the damn ball; I know that even if I don't hit it perfectly, it's going to go in the direction I hit it, and it's going to go pretty damn far. And for reference, the ST-Z 220, completely stock, easily held up distance-wise to my fully-fitted 2021 ST-Z. I anticipate that tinkering and tweaking will only squeeze out more.

One slightly worrying trend I saw that it launched high, and had quite a bit of spin. A couple of times, I could see where the ball landed in the fairway, and the ball would be a foot or two behind the landing mark. This is almost certainly a consequence of me not being used to the Smoke Blue RDX shaft, but it's something to keep an eye on. Also, I play the 2021 ST-Z turned down a notch, so that's something to play with also.

Overall, I couldn't be happier. It looks great, feels great, sounds great, inspires confidence, and perhaps most importantly it delivers in terms of on-the-course performance. The ST-Z 220 looks nicer (to my eye) than the 2021 ST-Z, being slightly more compact. It might just be my eyes playing tricks, but at address the face looks a bit "flatter" as well, which I personally prefer.

Don't get me wrong, the 2021 ST-Z is an incredible club; I've swung it and loved it and shilled it to my friends and family all last year. But this year's ST-Z 220 is 100% an upgrade in every area, in every sense of the word.

Awesome write up and jealous that you got out! Thank you 

WITB:

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Chrome Tour X

Waiting with Huge anticipation on this club 

Great review @picartyThird  - thank You

Forgiveness, higher launch and 'reasonable' spin are all HUGE positives for my swing 

cannot wait 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max - Accra Fx3.0 140-M0 / VA Nemesys 6-S

Mizuno ST-Max 3W - LIN-Q M40X Red 5F3

Ping G430 7W - AD-DI 7-S 
Cobra King Tour 4-PW - Modus 105-S
Cleveland RTX6 50 / 54 - DG spinner / 60 - Oban CT 125-S
PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack 

5 hours ago, Morry said:

Waiting with Huge anticipation on this club 

Great review @picartyThird  - thank You

Forgiveness, higher launch and 'reasonable' spin are all HUGE positives for my swing 

cannot wait 

It checks all those boxes and it is also not slow.

3CB474DE-353A-440A-96BF-34916ACFBA04.jpeg.550c740f9cb52453ac0b2674c20e9352.jpeg

• Like 3

BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 minute ago, Trippels said:

It doesn't exist yet

I believe next month.. 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

4 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

I believe next month.. 

pray for 5w in left……🤞

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max - Accra Fx3.0 140-M0 / VA Nemesys 6-S

Mizuno ST-Max 3W - LIN-Q M40X Red 5F3

Ping G430 7W - AD-DI 7-S 
Cobra King Tour 4-PW - Modus 105-S
Cleveland RTX6 50 / 54 - DG spinner / 60 - Oban CT 125-S
PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack 

Got a warm day today.. this driver is good. Good enough to really be messing with my head.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

3 minutes ago, th6252 said:

Thought it was reported the new stz fw was gonna be skipped this cycle due to supply chain issues and pushed to next year?  Was that inaccurate?  Hoping so.

I have not heard that. I have seen the new fairway so I believe it is coming. 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Just now, QuigleyDU said:

I have not heard that. I have seen the new fairway so I believe it is coming. 

It was reported by mg$ and we all know they can be hit or miss.  This great news though, thanks!

Btw, can you comment on how it compares to last years stz as far as size and does it retain the adjustable hosel?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, th6252 said:

It was reported by mg$ and we all know they can be hit or miss.  This great news though, thanks!

Btw, can you comment on how it compares to last years stz as far as size and does it retain the adjustable hosel?

It’s glued. Titanium head 3 wood.

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X