2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

I’m thinking of buying a chipper…

jomatty

I was watching Mark Crossfield’s recent video about the smart sole wedges and chippers and it got me thinking.  My wife took up the game two years ago at 50 years of age.  She has improved quite a bit and enjoys the game immensely.  She has made a lot of progress but chipping is something she really struggles with.  When feasible she uses a hybrid for most chip shots and that works fairly well. When watching the video I thought that a chipper may be an even better option for those shots as the face would be softer, and it would be easier to get a little carry if it was necessary.  She has room for an extra club or two so it seems to be an easy decision to throw one in and see how she likes it.  
Is the Cleveland Smart Sole Chipper the best option?  I like the wide sole and it appears to check all the boxes.  That said, as an equipment junky I can’t escape my nature, and my nature is to over analyze equipment decisions.  Even decisions involving chippers.  Are there any other chippers I should consider or look at?  Other than picking something with a wide sole I can’t imagine it matters that much.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, jomatty said:

I was watching Mark Crossfield’s recent video about the smart sole wedges and chippers and it got me thinking.  My wife took up the game two years ago at 50 years of age.  She has improved quite a bit and enjoys the game immensely.  She has made a lot of progress but chipping is something she really struggles with.  When feasible she uses a hybrid for most chip shots and that works fairly well. When watching the video I thought that a chipper may be an even better option for those shots as the face would be softer, and it would be easier to get a little carry if it was necessary.  She has room for an extra club or two so it seems to be an easy decision to throw one in and see how she likes it.  
Is the Cleveland Smart Sole Chipper the best option?  I like the wide sole and it appears to check all the boxes.  That said, as an equipment junky I can’t escape my nature, and my nature is to over analyze equipment decisions.  Even decisions involving chippers.  Are there any other chippers I should consider or look at?  Other than picking something with a wide sole I can’t imagine it matters that much.

Thanks!

@jomatty
I have a Cleveland Smart Sole 42* (and a 58* Smart Sole... and a 49* gap/ older Niblick)... an also some JDM chippers (e.g. PRGR r35, r55).

While i favour the PRGR (including for the super-long grip, that allows choke-down;  and the blunted leading-edge)... i have no qualms recommending the Cleveland Smart Sole (42* is better for chipping, vs the higher-lofted 58*)

If the chipper is for your wife... then let her decide what she prefers the look of?

(even if it's pink! a'la the PRGR).

e.g. maybe she'd prefer a higher-lofted hybrid (e.g. the Ping g425 7-hybrid) = i.e. can do double-duty.

Or you might like it so much that ... you need to buy "His & Hers" matching chippers 🙂 
====

FWIW... here's a Link to the PRGRs.

https://www.prgr-golf.com/en/product/wedge/Wedge-r35.html

https://www.prgr-golf.com/en/product/wedge/Wedge-r45.html

https://www.prgr-golf.com/en/product/wedge/Wedge-r55.html

image.png.1fd6ef4ab50becc88baa3b5750b833b2.png

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My dad has one and loves it. I think somebody in one of his weekly groups got one and they’re all slowly coming around to it. It doesn’t really seem like the specifics matter too much to most people. If the heft and length and sole  work for the putting-type stroke them it should work for you (or her).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@jomatty
I have a Cleveland Smart Sole 42* (and a 58* Smart Sole... and a 49* gap/ older Niblick)... an also some JDM chippers (e.g. PRGR r35, r55).

While i favour the PRGR (including for the super-long grip, that allows choke-down;  and the blunted leading-edge)... i have no qualms recommending the Cleveland Smart Sole (42* is better for chipping, vs the higher-lofted 58*)

If the chipper is for your wife... then let her decide what she prefers the look of?

(even if it's pink! a'la the PRGR).

e.g. maybe she'd prefer a higher-lofted hybrid (e.g. the Ping g425 7-hybrid) = i.e. can do double-duty.

Or you might like it so much that ... you need to buy "His & Hers" matching chippers 🙂 
====

FWIW... here's a Link to the PRGRs.

https://www.prgr-golf.com/en/product/wedge/Wedge-r35.html

https://www.prgr-golf.com/en/product/wedge/Wedge-r45.html

https://www.prgr-golf.com/en/product/wedge/Wedge-r55.html

image.png.1fd6ef4ab50becc88baa3b5750b833b2.png

If there is a pink one that is likely to be her choice 😂!  Seriously, she loves girly colored clubs.

• Like 2

I would personally never recommend for someone to ever get a Chipper based on my experience with one, but at the end of the day you guys have to do what you feel is best for you both.

I was sold a Chipper as part of my first set of clubs and learned how to play Golf using it, and it is an absolute crutch that you learn to lean on way too heavily at the expense of learning proper chipping technique.

It's so easy to use that it's a cheat-code really, but it's really only a replica of a Bump & Run shot that ends up getting used in situations around the course that you have no business using it for. I had no idea how to properly Chip and ended up trying to use the thing for shots from 35-50 yds away from the Green, which is absolutely ridiculous to be hitting with that type of shot/club.

It's much more difficult to learn how to chip properly with wedges, but believe me...it'd be much easier to do that up front while learning Golf then after months or years of learning to rely on a Chipper.

Just my 2 cents based on painful real-life experience.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

If the chipper works for her, then go for it.  Another thought would be to teach her to use a putting stroke with her existing clubs and that way she’ll have another trick in the bag without buying another club (but she does space for another club or two).  

Driver:  Ping 425Max (Aldila Synergy)

3W&5W:  Mizuno ST-Z (Aldila Synergy)

7W Taylor Made Stealth (Aldila Ascent)

4H:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (Accra FX)

5-GW:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (SteelFiber i110)

52* Edel SMS C-Grind (Paderson Wedge Flex)

56*W Cleveland CBX (SteelFiber i110CW)

Bettinardi QB10

The question shouldn't be if one should have a chipper, the question should be whether it makes sense to remove another club from the bag to make room for one. IME it doesn't. Anything you can do with a chipper you can do with an iron or lofted hybrid, using the exact same putting grip and stroke. All it takes is a bit of practice.

Edited by Billfitz
  • Like 2

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

My .02 is a very "anti-chipper" take. I bagged a chipper for years as it was a "band-aid" to my short game. It naturally produced some backspin around the greens and was easy to use, but I found myself putting the chipper in my hands way too often. When I made the commitment to focus on game improvement, that was the first band-aid I removed from my bag. I followed the Phil advice on chipping (grab my 52*, pick forward or behind in your stance, shift weight, lock hands, short putt stroke) and I would NEVER go back. I feel much more confident in pulling out a 8i for a bump shot or my 52* for a chip shot, rather than reaching for that band-aid of a chipper. Not saying they can't work, and certainly not saying to NOT go try one, but I have personally enjoyed the improvement to my chipping game in learning to do it with the proper club.

To be honest, it really wasn't a difficult concept to learn (difficult to master, yes), and it definitely is much more satisfying seeing no chipper in my bag! Either way, kudos on getting your wife out with you! Good luck!

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60g 

3 Wood: Titleist 910F 15* w/ Fujikura Diamana Kai'li 75g

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 2H 21* w/ Fujikura Diamana Kai'li 80g

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal 4i-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 Neo +1/2

GW: Titleist Vokey SM6 Tour Chrome 52/12f +1/2

LW:  Titleist Vokey SM6 Tour Chrome 58/8m +1/2

Putter: Odyssey O-Works Red #7s w/ SS Zenergy Pistol 2.0

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Bag: Ping Hoofer

15 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

I feel much more confident in pulling out a 8i for a bump shot or my 52* for a chip shot, rather than reaching for that band-aid of a chipper.

+1. I'll use anything from a 9 iron to 22 degree hybrid for chipping, depending on how much fringe there is between the ball and the green. The more fringe I have to clear the more loft I use. If you always use a dedicated chipper you don't have that option.

Callaway Supersoft

25 minutes ago, jj9000 said:

Never...ever...play a money match with an older gentleman that has a chipper and a 2-iron in his bag.  You might get worked over.

Oh yea. There are a few of these. Expensive clubs except an old beat up putter? DANGER. A Seemore putter? DANGER. Really old irons but a state of the art driver and newish wedges? DANGER...

What's the opposite? Shovels and an off the rack Cameron? Take that guy's money!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jomatty said:

Thanks!

IMHO... i view the Cleveland SmartSole 42* "C wedge" = equivalent to a 9-iron (albeit with a wide sole, i.e. reduces possibility of a chunk/fat shot... and a bit more upright... similar to the Square Strike). 
With a full-swing, that SmartSole 42* can carry ~120 yards for me.

I mention this, because am curious whether other folks (eg @BallerNate, @MSkibisky) still view this Cleveland SmartSole as a chipper...

or whether in their mind, would they define a chipper = a putter-shaped "one-trick pony" that only does greenside short chips?

38 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

My .02 is a very "anti-chipper" take. I bagged a chipper for years as it was a "band-aid" to my short game. It naturally produced some backspin around the greens and was easy to use, but I found myself putting the chipper in my hands way too often. When I made the commitment to focus on game improvement, that was the first band-aid I removed from my bag. I followed the Phil advice on chipping (grab my 52*, pick forward or behind in your stance, shift weight, lock hands, short putt stroke) and I would NEVER go back. I feel much more confident in pulling out a 8i for a bump shot or my 52* for a chip shot, rather than reaching for that band-aid of a chipper. Not saying they can't work, and certainly not saying to NOT go try one, but I have personally enjoyed the improvement to my chipping game in learning to do it with the proper club.

To be honest, it really wasn't a difficult concept to learn (difficult to master, yes), and it definitely is much more satisfying seeing no chipper in my bag! Either way, kudos on getting your wife out with you! Good luck!

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

I would personally never recommend for someone to ever get a Chipper based on my experience with one, but at the end of the day you guys have to do what you feel is best for you both.

I was sold a Chipper as part of my first set of clubs and learned how to play Golf using it, and it is an absolute crutch that you learn to lean on way too heavily at the expense of learning proper chipping technique.

It's so easy to use that it's a cheat-code really, but it's really only a replica of a Bump & Run shot that ends up getting used in situations around the course that you have no business using it for. I had no idea how to properly Chip and ended up trying to use the thing for shots from 35-50 yds away from the Green, which is absolutely ridiculous to be hitting with that type of shot/club.

It's much more difficult to learn how to chip properly with wedges, but believe me...it'd be much easier to do that up front while learning Golf then after months or years of learning to rely on a Chipper.

Just my 2 cents based on painful real-life experience.

Edited by JungleJimbo

9 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

IMHO... i view the Cleveland SmartSole 42* "C wedge" = equivalent to a 9-iron (albeit with a wide sole, i.e. reduces possibility of a chunk/fat shot... and a bit more upright... similar to the Square Strike). 
With a full-swing, that SmartSole 42* can carry ~120 yards for me.

I mention this, because am curious whether other folks (eg @BallerNate, @MSkibisky) still view this Cleveland SmartSole as a chipper...

or whether in their mind, would they define a chipper = a putter-shaped "one-trick pony" that only does greenside short chips?

I had a “one trick pony” Chipper with the equivalent loft of an 8-iron.

• Haha 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

12 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck... 😉

Edited by MSkibisky
  • Haha 1

Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60g 

3 Wood: Titleist 910F 15* w/ Fujikura Diamana Kai'li 75g

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 2H 21* w/ Fujikura Diamana Kai'li 80g

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal 4i-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 Neo +1/2

GW: Titleist Vokey SM6 Tour Chrome 52/12f +1/2

LW:  Titleist Vokey SM6 Tour Chrome 58/8m +1/2

Putter: Odyssey O-Works Red #7s w/ SS Zenergy Pistol 2.0

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Bag: Ping Hoofer

1 hour ago, jj9000 said:

Never...ever...play a money match with an older gentleman that has a chipper and a 2-iron in his bag.  You might get worked over.

That is the guy that will carry his driver 200 yrds, and go 4 wood , 4wood into a par 5 and stick it to 3 feet for bird ! 

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya Chrome 6TF5 

3 Wood: Tour Edge CBX 119 16.5 w/ PX Evenflow Blue 6.5

Hybrid: Fourteen Prototype 2 iron Bent to 20* w/ UST Mamiya Proto 125 X

Irons: Fourteen FH1000 4-PW 1*Strong/1*Up w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

GW: Fourteen RM12 - 50/10   w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

SW:  Fourteen RM12 – 54.5/10.5   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

LW:  Fourteen RM12 - 59/9   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

Putter: Odyssey 1W Milled / EVNROLL ER2 @ 34”,4* & 71* w/ Ionmic Mid Size

Ball: Taking Applications For Open Position !!! 

43 minutes ago, pccasstpro said:

That is the guy that will carry his driver 200 yrds, and go 4 wood , 4wood into a par 5 and stick it to 3 feet for bird ! 

Stop, I'm getting flashbacks to several matches teamed with my wife's uncle against one of his 70+ year old lifetime golf friend and their other friend. The other friend does just enough to make up for the extremely rare mistake made by the assassin! 

• Haha 2

I used one for awhile when I was struggling with the yips really badly.  It helped me get through that period and not absolutely hate playing golf.  I'm back to standard stuff now but I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the chipper if I felt like I needed to.  If it works use it.  Mine is a brass no name that looks sort of like a lofted 8802.  I picked it up somewhere for like $1-$3.

• Like 3

Absolutely get her one. It's an automatic for chipping and probably become one of her favorite clubs. I dated a girl a few years and got her one. She loved it, makes that part of the game so much easier and therefore more enjoyable. If your wife is willing to put in the time to learn how to chip great, if not then Chipper all the way.

I've been trying to get my dads wife to buy one but she's very much against any change. lol

• Like 1

My ex saw the commercial for the Square Strike and immediately wanted one. She was a great putter but having just started playing, her chipping technique wasn't there and it was quite frustrating for her. She had an extra spot in the bag and after watching the Crossfield video, it made sense.

• Like 1

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

3 hours ago, R5Two said:

Square Strike!

SmartSelect_20220224-085454_Chrome.jpg

This graphic points out exactly why no one needs a chipper. Any club can be taken straight back and swung straight through. It's not the club you use that matters, it's how you use it. OTOH the number one reason why so many can't putt to save their lives is because they don't take the putter straight back and swing it straight through. A different putter won't fix that basic flaw, neither does a chipper.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Callaway Supersoft

I think one of the main points Crossfield made was how useful a club designed like that can be in very wet weather. Here in the Tennessee Valley, it is wet basically from November - April and I have a Cleveland Smart Sole 58* that I use in the wet weather for muddy lies. The thing is very hard to dig and that's the main reason I use it. I think if you have game improvement or wide soled clubs already, you could and maybe should learn to use your 9 iron for chipping as it should be resistant to digging in a similar was as the smart sole. If you have blades....then you probably don't need a chipper either unless you are yipping like crazy or it is super wet. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1