I’m thinking of buying a chipper…

jomatty

1 hour ago, Billfitz said:

This graphic points out exactly why no one needs a chipper. Any club can be taken straight back and swung straight through. It's not the club you use that matters, it's how you use it. OTOH the number one reason why so many can't putt to save their lives is because they don't take the putter straight back and swing it straight through. A different putter won't fix that basic flaw, neither does a chipper.

weighting and length of a putter can affect the stroke performance, just like a chipper is different from choking up on a hybrid or an 8-iron and can work for some people. The grip can have an affect as well, especially when we're talking about older golfers with arthritis or shaky hands. Plus the flat sole is more like a hybrid sole but with the loft of something like an 8 or 9 iron or whatever. It really is a fundamentally different option. Not saying it's for everyone, but you haven't invalidated the concept or the benefit some will find. 

• Like 2

None of those factors stop me from making a putter stroke with any club in my bag. They don't stop pros either, and if there's a way to cut strokes they'll use it.

I'm 72 and arthritic. 😏

I got a chipper 20 years ago, it's been sitting in my garage for 19 years, after I figured out I didn't need it but I did need a gap wedge.

Edited by Billfitz

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

1 minute ago, Billfitz said:

None of those factors stop me from making a putter stroke with any club in my bag. They don't stop pros either, and if there's a way to cut strokes they'll use it.

I'm 72 and arthritic. 😏

Yeah, and if the clubs in your signature are accurate, then your entire iron set already has essentially the sole of a chipper. You've already adopted a big component of the chipper concept. Not everybody wants irons like that though. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BallerNate said:

I would personally never recommend for someone to ever get a Chipper based on my experience with one, but at the end of the day you guys have to do what you feel is best for you both.

I was sold a Chipper as part of my first set of clubs and learned how to play Golf using it, and it is an absolute crutch that you learn to lean on way too heavily at the expense of learning proper chipping technique.

It's so easy to use that it's a cheat-code really, but it's really only a replica of a Bump & Run shot that ends up getting used in situations around the course that you have no business using it for. I had no idea how to properly Chip and ended up trying to use the thing for shots from 35-50 yds away from the Green, which is absolutely ridiculous to be hitting with that type of shot/club.

It's much more difficult to learn how to chip properly with wedges, but believe me...it'd be much easier to do that up front while learning Golf then after months or years of learning to rely on a Chipper.

Just my 2 cents based on painful real-life experience.

I get that, but for a 50 year old lady I think I can only expect so much from her.  She has been trying to hit bump and runs lately and if a chipper can make it more fun for her and she becomes reliant on it then that is a trade I think works out fairly well.  If she was younger or had higher aspirations in golf my opinion would be different.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, m3fuz said:

If the chipper works for her, then go for it.  Another thought would be to teach her to use a putting stroke with her existing clubs and that way she’ll have another trick in the bag without buying another club (but she does space for another club or two).  

I did that with her hybrid and it has helped a lot.  With an iron or wedge she has struggled.  

I've had a Cleveland "C" wedge sitting in my garage for dang near 10 years now.  After watching that Crossfield video I'm going to put a new grip on it and throw it in the bag and fiddle around with it this Spring.  Mark hit the nail on the head -- why do we (as golfers) over-think things when it comes to equipment?  A lot of guys in this thread keep talking about older gents who whipped their butts with what most consider to be "unconventional".  I'll raise my hand and put myself in that boat, too.  Personally, I'm all for working smarter when it comes to my golf game, so it'll be interesting to see if a chipper does anything for me or not.

2 hours ago, jomatty said:

I get that, but for a 50 year old lady I think I can only expect so much from her.  She has been trying to hit bump and runs lately and if a chipper can make it more fun for her and she becomes reliant on it then that is a trade I think works out fairly well.  If she was younger or had higher aspirations in golf my opinion would be different.

Totally understandable. That’s why I said it all depends what works for you both.

It’s definitely a cheat code and much easier to use than any wedge or iron, so if she has no goals of becoming a very good player than it makes sense.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I play well enough - always plenty better out there - and bought a chipper as a bit of a joke some time ago.  Surprisingly, it makes a recurring, if brief, appearance in the bag. I frequently struggle with "micro-swings" from longer putting to chips.  Gets in my head.  Sometimes the luxury of a chipper for a round or two squares me up mentally.  

Got no problem with it.

12 hours ago, pccasstpro said:

That is the guy that will carry his driver 200 yrds, and go 4 wood , 4wood into a par 5 and stick it to 3 feet for bird ! 

My Monday partner has a bag full of headcovers. Bags two drivers. Master of driver off the deck. Consistently shoots in the 70’s on our course with a 136 slope. 

Many years a go I had the Cleveland Niblick and at the time I was playing off a handicap of 4 (ish). It really you used to get up my opponents in Match Play formats as I got up every time with it, I found it also automatic from around 100 yards, 3/4 swing and would be there or there abouts 

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

I say go for it.  I got one when I was new to golf and after a couple of months realised I didnt need it.  But it builds confidence in the meantime.  Youll start to move onto needing to control the distance of the chips and they are really bad for that, but fix the strike first with a chipper and then go back to a hybrid and/or wedge.

Cobra LTDx VA Composites Drago 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist TSi2 21 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Taylormade P7MC NS Pro Modus3 Tour 120 S (4-PW)

Vokey SM10 50.12F

Vokey SM9 54.10S, 58.08M

Taylormade Spider EX putter

ProV1X

Why not just hold 8/9 iron more upright ?

I think it almost the same.  If you have room for this I’m all for it. 
If you are afraid of using a wedge and maybe blade the ball across the green with a wedge then certainly chipper is good option   So are the low lofted clubs in the bag a hood option 

• Like 1

I guess a chipper is good if you've got a lot of brush and branches to clean up ...

Oh, not that kind of chipper? I used to have a Cleveland Smart Sole - think it was 43 degrees - thing worked like a charm from 20 or 30 yards. Issue of course is what do you pull ...

The Navy Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max Driver Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 Max 5w & 7w Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h & 5h Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 6-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS & 58° Eye2 Z-115

Seemore PCB 33"

Back-up Hoofer range bag:

Ping Eye2+ 3-9 Aldila Low Torque Graphite, PW-SW KT Steel

25 minutes ago, AC in TX said:

I guess a chipper is good if you've got a lot of brush and branches to clean up ...

Oh, not that kind of chipper? I used to have a Cleveland Smart Sole - think it was 43 degrees - thing worked like a charm from 20 or 30 yards. Issue of course is what do you pull ...

That’s the good thing.  My wife only has 11-12 clubs and at her distance doesn’t have any gaps that need filling.  I would never use a chipper, simply because I wouldn’t be willing to give up a wedge or something else for it.  She doesn’t have that problem.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Haroputt said:

Why not just hold 8/9 iron more upright ?

I think it almost the same.  If you have room for this I’m all for it. 
If you are afraid of using a wedge and maybe blade the ball across the green with a wedge then certainly chipper is good option   So are the low lofted clubs in the bag a hood option 

I think the hybrid is easier than an 8 or 9 iron.  She has tried both.  The results are decent with a hybrid but I think the softer face may help.

I bought a component head 56 deg chipper a few years ago. I use it for muddy lies and those that seem like good chunk opportunities. I usually take out a hybrid or a fairway wood for the day. For me it has simplified short shots around the green when the muni conditions are less than ideal which can be a lot. 
One of the things that allows pros to execute great shots around greens is consistent conditions. You don’t get them all the times at munis.  I will have it in the bag this Saturday because I know I will need it on the course I am playing.

For me it functions like hybrids vs long irons, allowing you to avoid the big mistake.

1 hour ago, jomatty said:

I think the hybrid is easier than an 8 or 9 iron.  She has tried both.  The results are decent with a hybrid but I think the softer face may help.

Depends on the shot. If I'm within a foot or two of the green I use my 22 degree hybrid. Further away I use anywhere between 6 and 9 iron, depending on how much of the ball travel I want in the air and how much I want on the ground. I never use a wedge when chipping, for me they don't get along well with a putting stance, grip and stroke. I understand the allure of the chipper, it looks and plays like a putter with loft, so it's not difficult to play it like a putter. Once you wrap your head around the notion that a club need not look like a putter, nor have a putter grip or putter lie to be played like a putter with loft, it can be one of the most valuable shots in your repertoire. I make as many birdies and pars from downtown chipping it in as I do with long putts.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

On 2/24/2022 at 2:02 PM, Billfitz said:

I'm 72 and arthritic. 😏

I got a chipper 20 years ago, it's been sitting in my garage for 19 years, after I figured out I didn't need it but I did need a gap wedge.

Send it to the original poster man! 

OP - You may also want to look at (or have your wife look at) the Odyssey X-Act.  It is basically an Odyssey putter with a bunch of loft, rather than an upright wedge with a wide sole.  Probably on the other end of the "chipper spectrum" than the Cleveland that you are interested in.  I have no experience using either one and I am certainly not trying to talk you out of the Cleveland, just throwing out another option.  

Put me in the 'yes' column. It sounds like practice and lessons isnt really something that she has time or drive for. Make the game easier for her.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

On 2/24/2022 at 3:42 PM, jomatty said:

I don’t think anyone thinks a chipper is the best play for most golfers.  I’m not sure how it would save us money though, and I’m also not convinced it would save her shots. This is a 52 year old woman that has never played a single sport in her life.  If a chipper will help her then I’m not super worried about “proper”

Forget about all the comments about "learning to hit a proper chip" with a wedge, 8 iron, etc.  If it works for her, she's going to score better and have more fun.  And with her distance (based on your other comments), the gapping between single clubs is probably so small that she could probably even get away with playing an "every other club" set  -- 4h, 6h, 8i, PW, SW, etc.  I think you said she's only playing with 12 clubs now anyway, so it's not like it's taking another club out of her bag that she could use.

Besides, half the people that hang out in here have at least one "just for" club in their bags.  "I use this wedge just for chipping"  "I use this lob wedge just for short-sided shots" "I use this 3i just for punching it low out of the trees"  So get one for her that she likes the looks of and make her happy.

• Like 4

My girlfriend bladed every chip over the green and hated the short game part of golf.  I bought her a Tour Edge 56 degree with the Houdini Sole and ladies graphite shaft.  Sole is just like the Cleveland on in Crossfields video.  She can now pop the ball onto the green and do bump and runs.  Her chipping is bordering on adequate now.  Huge improvement.

Edited by reider69

On 2/24/2022 at 2:02 PM, Billfitz said:

I'm 72 and arthritic. 😏

My wife can have a gap wedge and a chipper and still have a slot or two left.  I’m not sure what pros have to do with the conversation.  I use a 56 or a 60 to chip but that doesn’t mean I’m going to try to convince you guys that like to use a putter stroke with an iron that you should start using a 60 to chip.  

• Like 1

There are all sorts of uniquely designed clubs for chipping.  They all imply they make chipping easy.  I beg to differ.  Anyway, my 85 yr old FIL has one that he swears by, he's had it for ten years.  Just to see, I tried a few but couldn't get my head around them.  If they work for you, go for it.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

1 hour ago, darkhelmet said:

Forget about all the comments about "learning to hit a proper chip" with a wedge, 8 iron, etc.  If it works for her, she's going to score better and have more fun.  And with her distance (based on your other comments), the gapping between single clubs is probably so small that she could probably even get away with playing an "every other club" set  -- 4h, 6h, 8i, PW, SW, etc.  I think you said she's only playing with 12 clubs now anyway, so it's not like it's taking another club out of her bag that she could use.

Besides, half the people that hang out in here have at least one "just for" club in their bags.  "I use this wedge just for chipping"  "I use this lob wedge just for short-sided shots" "I use this 3i just for punching it low out of the trees"  So get one for her that she likes the looks of and make her happy.

I agree with this.  She has 11 or 12 clubs, and doesn’t need all of them (very short hitter so everything bunches).  I think the people commenting don’t realize a few things.  1. Many of them think they are talking about my game, and I agree I don’t need a chipper. 2.  None of them have ever been a 51 year old arthritic woman who’s only experience with sport was swimming when she was in elementary school.  
for most of us it is hard to imagine not be8ng able to take an 8 iron and putt it up there but she cannot reliably do it, and though she plays twice a week she is not going to start practicing chipping for hours like us addicts may be willing to do.

Edited by jomatty
  • Like 3

On 2/24/2022 at 7:51 AM, Billfitz said:

OTOH the number one reason why so many can't putt to save their lives is because they don't take the putter straight back and swing it straight through. A different putter won't fix that basic flaw, neither does a chipper.

So are you saying that a putting stroke with an arc is a flawed? 

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* (A1) Autoflex SF505                   Frankenstein Irons:

3W - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 75 (S)                         4i - PING i210

19* Hyb - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 (S).                5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

Irons - 4-PW Maltby TS1 Nippon 950GH Stiff                 6i - Titleist T100

GW - Vokey SM8 50* F-grind                                           7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

SW - Vokey SM8 54* D-grind (bent to 55)                      8i - Callaway X-Forged

LW - Vokey SM8 60* M-grind                                           9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

Putter - SeeMore PCB with LAGP SoHo                          PW - Srixon ZX-7

GW - Wilson Staff CB