Upcoming Bandon Trip - Any recommendations?

WestCoastHacker

I'm part of a group of 8 guys heading to Bandon at the end of May from Vancouver, BC.  Most of us have been to Bandon several times before but not since 2017.  Our schedule is as follows:

Day 1 - Drive Vancouver to Bandon

Day 2 - AM @ Sheep Ranch, PM @ Trails

Day 3 - AM @ Old Mac, PM @ Bandon Dunes

Day 4 - AM @ Pacific, PM @ Sheep Ranch & Preserve

Day 5 - AM @ Bandon Dunes, PM @ Pacific 

Day 6 - Drive Bandon to Vancouver

We're pretty happy with the schedule as is (and it's probably too late to make changes anyway).  But would be happy to hear any thoughts around:

1. What's changed at the resort in the last 5 years? Anything new to check out?

2. Is the Forge worth the extra $$$? Looks like it's just the room we used to eat breakfast in.

3. Anything new worth checking out in town or on the way between the border and the resort?

Thanks in advance,

WCH

Ping G410 - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff
915F 3w
913H (19) - Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY
Titleist AP3 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 (2012)

Especially since you're playing Sheep Ranch on the morning of your first day, be aware that the course has it's own driving range so there's no need to go to the Practice Center and warm up before driving or taking a shuttle over to Sheep Ranch.  

And you're right, The Forge is simply the former Gallery Restaurant with a new name & steakhouse theme.  Doesn't look any different inside.  We found the steaks mediocre, with the exception of the $100 A5 Wagyu which was exceptional.

Edited by Seamus_MacDuff
  • Like 1

The main thing that has changed is the food offerings.  The menus are smaller, Trails End is not open for dinner, only the breakfast buffet is available in the main Lodge, and the Gallery has morphed into the Forge steakhouse.  We thought it was pretty good, if over-priced a bit.  Portions for the sides are massive, easily shared among two or perhaps three.

If you haven't made dinner reservations, do so immediately.  McKee's main area downstairs is walk-in only, upstairs is reservable.

+1 on the SR driving range.  Super convenient to stop in a bit early and have breakfast at the SR clubhouse, then loosen up at the little range there.

• Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

12 hours ago, WestCoastHacker said:

1. What's changed at the resort in the last 5 years? Anything new to check out?

2. Is the Forge worth the extra $$$? Looks like it's just the room we used to eat breakfast in.

3. Anything new worth checking out in town or on the way between the border and the resort?

Thanks in advance,

WCH

I just went a month ago, 3rd trip since 2017. I found it to be significantly more busy than trips in 2017 and 2019. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but past trips felt less crowded. The combination of increased popularity, another 18 in Sheep, and less food options due to closures was definitely felt IMO. Forge for my group was a disaster as they got orders wrong and delivered well undercooked steaks after way too long of a wait; the chicken I ordered was fantastic though and the truffle mac is highly recommended should you go there. Reservations anywhere are a MUST.

Best of luck and enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thought I would follow up with a brief trip report.  It was my 4th time at Bandon since 2014 and unfortunately, the worst trip I've had there.  Here's the good and the bad:

The Good

1. Lily Pond - We stayed at Lily Pond.  It felt updated from the last time we stayed there (2015).  Our group had the bottom floor of one of the buildings.  The rooms were comfortable and perfect for what we needed.  The housekeeping was also spot on.
  2. Punchbowl/Preseve - These add ons remain fantastic.  Make sure you make time for these when you go.  Tons of fun to be had with your group.

The Bad

1. Golf Course Conditions - We went the last week of May.  We had previously gone in March (x2) and November.  We paid the extra $$$ to go in May mostly so that we would get better course conditions and no punching.  Both Trails and Bandon were freshly punched and top dressed.  Some of the greens on Sheep were barely playable.  This is not acceptable in my view for US$240.  Especially when there is (practically speaking) no chance to change the round to another course and they give you no notice of the aeration.  It left a very bad taste in my mouth.  Old Mac and Pacific were in good shape, but as it happened we only got one round on each.
  2. Bunker Bar - It was simply too busy.  One poor guy runs the whole place.  There were way too many people for him to manage. 
  3. The Forge - Way too expensive for the quality of the food.  I'd pass on it.

Chatting with my buddy after the trip we determined that Bandon felt like it has lost some of the shine it had when we first went there (2014).  It has become another golf factory, which is unfortunate.  It's just too big and busy now.  Would I care as much if the courses were all playable?  Probably not.  But as someone who has had three fantastic trips there, this time I left feeling ripped off.  60% of the big courses did not meet expectations which for the money is no good.  

I don't anticipate returning for a while.

WCH

Edited by WestCoastHacker

Ping G410 - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff
915F 3w
913H (19) - Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY
Titleist AP3 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 (2012)

16 hours ago, WestCoastHacker said:

The Bad

1. Golf Course Conditions - We went the last week of May.  We had previously gone in March (x2) and November.  We paid the extra $$$ to go in May mostly so that we would get better course conditions and no punching.  Both Trails and Bandon were freshly punched and top dressed.  Some of the greens on Sheep were barely playable.  This is not acceptable in my view for US$240.  Especially when there is (practically speaking) no chance to change the round to another course and they give you no notice of the aeration.  It left a very bad taste in my mouth.  Old Mac and Pacific were in good shape, but as it happened we only got one round on each.
  2. The Forge - Way too expensive for the quality of the food.  I'd pass on it.

I went in late May, as well. I'll start by saying I had a great time. That said, I was also bit disappointed by the greens. I've been in May the last 3 years and this was the only time aeration was an issue. I get they have to do it, but it's a bummer when you get impacted by it. Old Mac's greens were definitely the best and Pacific wasn't too far behind. 

Outside of aeration, I will also agree with your point on Sheep Ranch. The greens on that course are terrible. They were last year too and people said they'd mature with time, but it hasn't happen yet. When you couple those greens with what feels like adult minigolf, it's definitely the least enjoyable course for me, even with the insane views / great location. 

On the topic of the Forge, I was actually surprised by how good it was. Maybe it's because I live in a massively overpriced city, but I wasn't necessarily offput by the price point and the food was pretty good. I went in with low expectations, so maybe that's why I was happy with the outcome. 

On 7/1/2022 at 10:52 AM, dvq9654 said:

I went in late May, as well. I'll start by saying I had a great time. That said, I was also bit disappointed by the greens. I've been in May the last 3 years and this was the only time aeration was an issue. I get they have to do it, but it's a bummer when you get impacted by it. Old Mac's greens were definitely the best and Pacific wasn't too far behind. 

Outside of aeration, I will also agree with your point on Sheep Ranch. The greens on that course are terrible. They were last year too and people said they'd mature with time, but it hasn't happen yet. When you couple those greens with what feels like adult minigolf, it's definitely the least enjoyable course for me, even with the insane views / great location. 

On the topic of the Forge, I was actually surprised by how good it was. Maybe it's because I live in a massively overpriced city, but I wasn't necessarily offput by the price point and the food was pretty good. I went in with low expectations, so maybe that's why I was happy with the outcome. 

Going on a 4 day trip next February and we're thinking about skipping Sheep Ranch for a replay and playing BD or PD for a 2nd time instead.  It sounds like this may be a good idea? For 2 of us this will be our 3rd trip(never played SR) and 2 total newbies

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, eboettne said:

Going on a 4 day trip next February and we're thinking about skipping Sheep Ranch for a replay and playing BD or PD for a 2nd time instead.  It sounds like this may be a good idea? For 2 of us this will be our 3rd trip(never played SR) and 2 total newbies

That a tough call to make. SR is a very cool course, I can't say I would opt to not play it (if I had never played it) in order to play courses I have played before. I played it three times now and like it, but I like all the courses on the property. 

Yeah I wouldn't outright skip Sheep Ranch unless it's a short trip. But a first time goer absolutely should make it a priority to play all 5 courses, the preserve and find time to go to the punch bowl, etc. Bandon is remote enough that unless you're west coast or PNW you never really know if you'll be back so do it all.

Assuming time for 6 rounds I'd do a second round, in order of most likely to least:

Bandon

Trails

Pacific

Sheep

Old Mac

2 hours ago, 2bGood said:

That a tough call to make. SR is a very cool course, I can't say I would opt to not play it (if I had never played it) in order to play courses I have played before. I played it three times now and like it, but I like all the courses on the property. 

Sorry I wasn't clear. We will be playing all 5 courses once for sure.  Our 6th round is a replay at the Sheep Ranch and I was considering swapping that out for Pac or BD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eboettne said:

Sorry I wasn't clear. We will be playing all 5 courses once for sure.  Our 6th round is a replay at the Sheep Ranch and I was considering swapping that out for Pac or BD.

For me I would go BD. It is the most 'Bandon' of the courses and has it all. 

• Like 2

I'd keep the replay at SR.  I like to get multiple rounds on courses before I start to rank them in preference and skip rounds so I feel informed.  Once you've played it a few times you can make informed decisions for subsequent trips.  

For the 2 new people, they'll probably have the usual blown away reaction to all of them anyway.

Edit: that being said, I personally would prefer a replay at BD, Trails, or PD before SR.  But none of them are a wrong answer for the extra round.

Edited by Edaw68

I have to agree with much of the above regarding Sheep Ranch. Having played the original undeveloped SR, I enjoyed the new course but found it a bit bland especially as they took out the across-the-water tee shot at 17. The grassy hollows rather than bunkers are also a negative in my view, aesthetically at least.

As far as the resort as a whole is concerned, it is still the same great vibe with impeccable service everywhere but a few flaws here and there, probably due to covid, like having to prebook restaurants, takes it all down a notch. 

On 7/5/2022 at 12:21 PM, 2bGood said:

For me I would go BD. It is the most 'Bandon' of the courses and has it all. 

On 7/5/2022 at 10:13 AM, eboettne said:

I agree with 2b - I would not replay Sheep.  Bandon would be my 1st choice, then Trail, then Pac

On 7/5/2022 at 7:18 AM, eboettne said:

is your trip 18/36/36/18?

I always like to end a trip with BD, myself.  It's the most Bandon-y, but hard to argue with PD as a closer.

The good news is that you can't make a bad choice.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

On 7/10/2022 at 1:21 AM, spud3 said:

is your trip 18/36/36/18?

I always like to end a trip with BD, myself.  It's the most Bandon-y, but hard to argue with PD as a closer.

The good news is that you can't make a bad choice.

Our trip is

Day 1 Bandon Dunes

Day 2 Sheep Ranch + Preserve

Day 3 Trails + Pac Dunes

Day 4 Old Mac + Sheep Ranch

Edited by eboettne
  • Like 1

You should base your replay choice on whether you prioritize views or quality of the golf course.  If ocean views are more important to you, go with Sheep Ranch.  If quality of the golf course is more important, then go with Pacific, BD or Trails, as Sheep Ranch is at the bottom of the list.  

20 hours ago, Seamus_MacDuff said:

You should base your replay choice on whether you prioritize views or quality of the golf course.  If ocean views are more important to you, go with Sheep Ranch.  If quality of the golf course is more important, then go with Pacific, BD or Trails, as Sheep Ranch is at the bottom of the list.  

Yeah the guy organizing the tee times is calling today to hopefully change courses. I told him my preference of replay round is Bandon, Pacific, Trails, SR, OM

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, MongoSmash said:

That’s the beauty of golf opinions. 
my friend and I have SR as our favorite. The infinity greens and views are incredible. Maybe Coore-Crenshaw just jive with us. 
We both agree;

sr

Bd

Pac

OM

Absolutely, different strokes and all. 

But don't tell me you're C&C fan and skipped trails! That would be a tragedy

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/6/2022 at 8:59 PM, MongoSmash said:

We didn’t have time on the last trip….but it WILL be checked off the list in 2023! 😁

excited. The trip can’t get here soon enough 

Well I'm glad you at least have plans to return.  Trails has to be up there for best C&C course(I haven't played them all but from what I've heard).  The walk is just serene, such an incredible piece of property with a great routing.  It feels like you're going on an adventure.