You know you're an Old Golfer when...

26 minutes ago, seis said:

I’ve had both hips replaced. When they click it’s time…

I am getting to that point slowly. What the delimma is at this time besides whether the WC insurance or medicare is going to pay for it is whether it is a structual problem itself or an issue of the permanant nerve damage in my back. My neurosurgeon who took care of me from the get go thinks it will be because of permant nerve damage. It for me can vary from day to day. Sometimes I can go a month and no problems then all of a sudden wham. Now used to be I could tell you when it was going to rain without listening to the WC. It is raining now and did yesterday too. Honestly except for the fact it is raining I am pain free and could play 18 or more riding. I do have a test scheduled in July to help determine if it is nerve or structural and my Neuro Doc and my regular Doc ( who is a golf bud) will be involved in the tests. 

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

On 6/25/2022 at 12:46 AM, dan360 said:

Played a quick 9 holes the other day.   Paired with a "kid", early 20s.   He found a Tour Balata 100 in the pond and says "what does balata mean?"   Pronounced like it rhymed with PALiduh

I died a little more inside that day....

Sorta like the kid up on the range one day. But he was a polite kid as in sir can I ask you something? I was hitting my SO Macgregor persimmon 5 wood. Now that thing is tiny and hooked faced. That young man in all honesty wanted to know when they started making hybrids out of wood again. I did tell him no BS what it was and we compared and honestly my 5 wood might have been a smidge larger than his Callaway hybrid

On 6/25/2022 at 9:28 AM, Edsland said:

175 yd par 3 you pull out driver

Our 15th hole a par 3 plays on the card at 180 from the tips at sea level and it has a large bunker guarding the front of the green but you can bail left and cut it. Plus it has a lake behind it. At sea level it plays more like 200 and if you have the ocean wind in your face ( 99% of the time) it can play like 220. Now in my regular play I play from the senior tees at 145 yards and depending on the wind hit anything from a 6 iron to a 7 wood. When I play my vintage rounds with persimmon I hit from the tips with a driver start it left and cut it. Sometimes I can run it on to the left side of the green. No way I can carry the trap from there with the real lumber. Lots of fun making it a somewhat driveable Par 4. I basically do the same thing on our #3 hole a Par 3 at 190 from the tips too. Not as challenging but fun for me. LOL vintage rounds for me are a Par 74

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

I am getting to that point slowly. What the delimma is at this time besides whether the WC insurance or medicare is going to pay for it is whether it is a structual problem itself or an issue of the permanant nerve damage in my back. My neurosurgeon who took care of me from the get go thinks it will be because of permant nerve damage. It for me can vary from day to day. Sometimes I can go a month and no problems then all of a sudden wham. Now used to be I could tell you when it was going to rain without listening to the WC. It is raining now and did yesterday too. Honestly except for the fact it is raining I am pain free and could play 18 or more riding. I do have a test scheduled in July to help determine if it is nerve or structural and my Neuro Doc and my regular Doc ( who is a golf bud) will be involved in the tests. 

I can say Stu that since the replacements my back is better and the sciatica is gone. You don’t know how bad an uneven walking gait is on your back because of bad hips. Post surgery  Rehab is tough but worth it if you do what they tell you. Living up north I had mine done in the winter so I didn’t miss golf or softball seasons. Hopefully you won’t have to pay a lot out of pocket if your ortho approves replacements.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 4:37 PM, Is Golf Fun or Work said:

When your first set of clubs were Wilson Staff blades with flat sided leather grips.

You played balata balls, then Titleist Professionals.

Need Rx lenses in your sunglasses to be able to see the ball clearly

I wanted Wilson Staffs, but they were too expensive. I went with the "off brand" Titleist Tour Models.

I played Titleist 384 Tour Balata Balls. 

MacGregor Muirfield persimmon 1-3-5 woods

I had a Power-Bilt sand wedge, I can't remember the name.

Acushnet Bulls-eye putter

I still have the MacGregors at home.

I doubt I could hit any of these today.

• Like 4

On 6/27/2022 at 9:04 PM, RobotDoctor said:

Not sure about being a hustler. I really never gambled on the course.  That’s is of course until I met a couple of guys and started playing with their group.  About 8-12 of us would gather during the week or on weekends. 
I can’t tell you how many times a $1 Nassau ended up costing me $25-$35 in a round.  Lot of presses and we always instilled an automatic press when you were 2 down.  Those were the days!!!

How do you like those BH Icon irons?  I have a set as well, but only carry 7i-PW, then Equalizer II wedges in Texas Grind.  I absolutely love them.  Hitting hybrids for every other iron in the bag.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OnTheBag said:

How do you like those BH Icon irons?  I have a set as well, but only carry 7i-PW, then Equalizer II wedges in Texas Grind.  I absolutely love them.  Hitting hybrids for every other iron in the bag.

I really like the Icon blades.  I carry 4-PW and have no issue hitting any of the irons as long as I put a good swing on them.  Only issue is with slight miss hits.  I loose about 1/2 club when the golf ball isn’t stuck well.  

Edited by RobotDoctor
Correct incomplete sentence and poor typing
  • Like 3

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

On 6/18/2022 at 8:18 AM, elwhippy said:

Never had Kangaroo leather shoes but did own a couple of pairs of KL Puma sneakers. Supremely comfortable and durable. 

Moving back to senior players. Men who would wear nothing but all leather brogues, boat shoes or quality loafers now sport heinous multicolour Skechers. Hip flasks contain Red Bull or tea instead of a fine Islay Malt. Plastic tees are the norm and ball retrievers are de rigeur. 

My football shoes senior year HS were kangaroo. Very comfortable and didn't give me blisters.

On 6/28/2022 at 2:52 PM, Mike_C said:

Here is one I thought of recently while I pulled into the parking lot at the course.

I used to be a "carry my own bag" snob, was proud I could walk in a single day 36 or 54 holes carrying my bag (no stand bags either in my day). Now I go get the riding cart and park it right behind my trunk to minimize the distance I have to lug my bag to get it in the cart from the car......

Depending which side of the cart you're sitting in you can always stick your leg out and pretend walk.

5 hours ago, Nels55 said:

When you can remember getting a new pair of golf shoes back in the day and being careful to break them in pretty good before trying to go eighteen holes in them. 

And slapping the Mink Oil on them to try to soften them up some. I had an advantage there. Working at the course the old man ran I would wear them some while working the bag drop and cart barn before playing golf in them. another trick there is when they came out of the box I would pull the spikes out then and there and coat the spike threads either with anti sieze or Vaselene. When I installed spikes in customer's shoes ( one of my sidelines) I would do the same made the repeat business easier

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OnTheBag said:

Found an old Austeads 14 wood 34.5 loft in a stash of clubs sorta between a 5 and 6 iron for me. I am going to practice it today and see. Heavy as heck and has the rails like a TM Tour Cleek. I still hit the 6 and 5 decent but really an experiment for the future

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Found an old Austeads 14 wood 34.5 loft in a stash of clubs sorta between a 5 and 6 iron for me. I am going to practice it today and see. Heavy as heck and has the rails like a TM Tour Cleek. I still hit the 6 and 5 decent but really an experiment for the future

Don't think I've ever seen one of those.  I can still strike the higher irons fine, but swinging that hard hurts.  The hybrids require less effort to generate the same flight and distance.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 4:30 PM, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

When the 40 somethings you get paired up with on the first tee call you Sir 😞

I think I had just turned 60 and I was hooked up with three college guys (heading into sophomore year, I think). I said "I'm Mike" and one asked "is that Mister Mike?" I smiled and said "no, just Mike". They were good spirited and liked to joke around, as do I, so we had a very enjoyable round. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

And slapping the Mink Oil on them to try to soften them up some. I had an advantage there. Working at the course the old man ran I would wear them some while working the bag drop and cart barn before playing golf in them. another trick there is when they came out of the box I would pull the spikes out then and there and coat the spike threads either with anti sieze or Vaselene. When I installed spikes in customer's shoes ( one of my sidelines) I would do the same made the repeat business easier

Never sleaze is good stuff!  It was late in the game with metal spikes before I got smart enough to lube the spikes like that.  I usually had at least a couple flat spots on each shoe where the spike holder thing had spun out.  I think that I tried sticking them back in with silicone but that did not work very well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OnTheBag said:

Don't think I've ever seen one of those.  I can still strike the higher irons fine, but swinging that hard hurts.  The hybrids require less effort to generate the same flight and distance.

Well it did not work out somewhat. I hit it ok but not as good as I do my 7 or 8 irons height or distance wise. But it is heavy enough for a decent warm up club for me that will not get my back started. Yep I am in the same boat swing wise on the higher irons. If I hit only a couple of shots with them if needed I am ok but a bunch no. That is why I have the 7 and 9 woods

I had another one hit me this morning.  Started work at 3:30 am as usual.  Made my rounds to set the course up.  Head back to the Keeper's Shack and one of our vendors had delivered biscuits (the Southern kind, not the British kind).  Had a biscuit and a 4th cup of coffee then back out to check on the kids.  All that hit my stomach when I was a long way from one of the toilets.  Whew!!!

Didn't know a Gator would drive that fast.  It sucks getting old.

Edited by OnTheBag
  • Like 3

One or two here might appreciate this because tomorrow's a vintage golf day.  🙂

7581B354-A688-45CA-BF11-9F5BB5911873_1_201_a.jpeg.9fbe9eea09e4a4a42143d09a88ab054d.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

On 6/27/2022 at 11:24 AM, anser85029 said:

Acushnet Club Specials

still have a few boxes laying around that were outing prizes.

this thread has made me feel awfully vintage.....

my golf partner is about twenty years younger that I, and one recent weekend, one of the course staff asked him if I was his Dad.

I about fell over.

like, can't we just be friends?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

17 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

After each round, a two hour nap is in order.  Played three round in three days and slept like the dead last night.  But, ready to go again. lol

My 2 hour naps turn into a 2 1/2 hour therapy session. Lay on ice bag for 1 hour, then apply heat for an hour, then lay on an inversion table for 30 minutes, then spend 10 minutes trying to get off the inversion table, then finally I can take a nap.

17 hours ago, OnTheBag said:

I had another one hit me this morning.  Started work at 3:30 am as usual.  Made my rounds to set the course up.  Head back to the Keeper's Shack and one of our vendors had delivered biscuits (the Southern kind, not the British kind).  Had a biscuit and a 4th cup of coffee then back out to check on the kids.  All that hit my stomach when I was a long way from one of the toilets.  Whew!!!

Didn't know a Gator would drive that fast.  It sucks getting old.

ROTFLMAO----- We could make of a video of you racing to the outhouse with that look on your face while playing that mime song "OH NO OH NO" and we could call it  "Race To The Outhouse" Written by Will E Makeit directed by I Betty Dont. I laugh because I have been there. Lucky I had a fast cart and made it in just the nick of time

14 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

One or two here might appreciate this because tomorrow's a vintage golf day.  🙂

7581B354-A688-45CA-BF11-9F5BB5911873_1_201_a.jpeg.9fbe9eea09e4a4a42143d09a88ab054d.jpeg

Heck I like it ---- I might do that on a regular shootout Saturday--- One change I do have to wear either one of my floppy Pukka hats or my straw hat with my Maxx shades. The last is one of my trademarks around here. Adds to the mystique around here of me being touched in the head. Most of the time I wear gray shorts because they are cool ( heat wise) and go with anything plus I am hard to fit and have 7 pairs of gray shorts. LOL one time I found a white golf shirt that fit me. Now me and white do not get along and my wife questioned the purchase "even if it fit me good". I told her to hang in there. I took it up the beach to a lady I know who Tye Dyes and sells T Shirts. She did a Ty Dye print on it and yes I wore it the next week---- I am always doing something outside the box and whacky