Scotland Late Aug/Early Sept

So as most we are finally making our 2020 trip this year late August into September.  Here is the run down:

Crail

Carnousite

TOC

Royal Aberdeen

Cruden Bay

Nairn

Bora

Royal Dornoch X2

It has changed a little bit from our original list but the only course i am sad to miss is North Berwick.

That being said i am really getting nervous about my rain clothing after watching for weather report this year.  Do i need to invest in the best rain gear Kjus, GG top line or will their middle of line stuff work?  Do yall us umbrellas or do the caddies not like them and just get the better rain gear?  

You do not need the absolute top of the line gear, just make sure you get something that is quality.  Umbrellas won’t come out much as the wind will render them useless but you can take one for the rare instance of rain and calm winds. 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

You are heading in my direction towards the last half of your time here.

What I would say is it is difficult to be sure in terms of rain gear at that time of year. I have played a lot of golf in rain at that time of year but a lot more golf in much better weather. I would suggest that it is best to have something but no need to go breaking the bank. Honestly, my top tip would be to try and find a jacket or top that is either short sleeved or sleeveless. The worst thing at that time of year is being stuck with something which is just not breathable. I am not hugely fussed if my arms get wet and short sleeve or sleeveless lets some air in which for me is a game changer. I get that modern waterproofs are breathable, etc, etc but there is no escaping that adding a second layer is going to make you warmer and sweatier so anything to help keep you cooler is a great idea when it comes to waterproofs particularly at that time of year. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

As a resident of Scotland, the advice I’d give you is expect almost 4 seasons in a day. Rain, sun, wind.. hopefully not hail or snow! Rain gear should be easily stored in your bag, definitely a waterproof jacket that’s also a wind breaker, but one that can be rolled up into your bag. Rain proof trousers should be less of an issue. The reason you need to pack them is that it might be raining at one point, then glorious sunshine the next!

I’d also recommend playing at Tain if you have time. It’s near Royal Dornoch, it’s a Links course and it’s a little bit less known, but great fun. 

If you’re arriving in Edinburgh, you should get Musselburgh Links Old Course on your agenda if possible. Locals still think of it as the oldest golf course in the world (despite what St Andrews claims), it’s one of the original hosts of the Open Championship and it’s quite short, so quick to play plus it’s cheap and easy to play on. http://www.musselburgholdlinks.co.uk/

• Like 1

Have two pairs of shoes and rain gear. 
I second the short sleeve and umbrella comments. 

And go play Tain. Opposite the bay of Royal Dornoch and a hidden gem. I’m an overseas member there because I absolutely fell in love with it. 

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

1 minute ago, moora said:

As a resident of Scotland, the advice I’d give you is expect almost 4 seasons in a day. Rain, sun, wind.. hopefully not hail or snow! Rain gear should be easily stored in your bag, definitely a waterproof jacket that’s also a wind breaker, but one that can be rolled up into your bag. Rain proof trousers should be less of an issue. The reason you need to pack them is that it might be raining at one point, then glorious sunshine the next!

I’d also recommend playing at Tain if you have time. It’s near Royal Dornoch, it’s a Links course and it’s a little bit less known, but great fun. 

If you’re arriving in Edinburgh, you should get Musselburgh Links Old Course on your agenda if possible. Locals still think of it as the oldest golf course in the world (despite what St Andrews claims), it’s one of the original hosts of the Open Championship and it’s quite short, so quick to play plus it’s cheap and easy to play on. http://www.musselburgholdlinks.co.uk/

Ha, there you go, another Tain recommendation! Thanks 😁

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

47 minutes ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

Have two pairs of shoes and rain gear. 
I second the short sleeve and umbrella comments. 

And go play Tain. Opposite the bay of Royal Dornoch and a hidden gem. I’m an overseas member there because I absolutely fell in love with it. 

Funny everyone is suggesting short sleeve rain gear.  I would have thought with the temps in the 50's and rain that long sleeve would be the way to go. Being from TX i love short sleeve stuff as it do breath much better and our showers dont last too long and it is really humid after.  

I will have to look into Tain for sure.

17 minutes ago, cjblake09 said:

Funny everyone is suggesting short sleeve rain gear.  I would have thought with the temps in the 50's and rain that long sleeve would be the way to go. Being from TX i love short sleeve stuff as it do breath much better and our showers dont last too long and it is really humid after.  

I will have to look into Tain for sure.

Well I’d rather get wet arms from rain than from sweating under a jacket, and most jackets restrict movement at least a little, which is annoying. 
The biggest mistake I made is not having backup shoes, they usually don’t fully dry overnight and it sucks to jump back into wet shoes. 
Also, a dry towel in a waterproof pocket is really helpful for those times your grips get wet. I have no problem to play in the rain as long ad my upper body and grips are dry. 

• Like 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

At least 2 pairs of shoes, in case you get significant rain. I have the foot joy rain gear and it’s fine. 

I typically wear khakis, footjoy thermal under a polo with a pullover (Nike or under armor). If it gets warm, remove the pullover or thermal. If it looks like rain, get your rain pants out and out them on before the rain comes (you will probably see it coming).  Long sleeve or short sleeve rain gear is a personal preference. The main thing is be comfortable. You will enjoy the courses.  I’ve not played again but many of the locals recommended it when I’ve been up that way. 

• Like 1

1. I wouldn't bother with an umbrella. If one can easily be used it can be purchased on the day. 

2. Bring layers, but the rain top and two other layers will be enough to keep you warm if it's cold. 

3. Bring whatever decent quality rain top you like...even a short and long sleeve. The bottoms can easily be worn with shorts. So bring them. Wear shorts if it looks lke rain! 

4.Buy a pair of Mac Wets or something similar. 

Don't spend too much time on courses. Enjoy the social time as much as the golf. 

• Like 1

You literally could get all 4 seasons on one day, or it could be glorious without a cloud in the sky. As others have said, bring multiple thin layers. Here’s what I bring for a week:

2 Long sleeve mock necks

7 Golf Polos

1 Rain jacket

1 Rain pants

4 Shorts

2 Vests

1 Fleece Pullover

1 Thin Pullover

That covers me no matter the weather. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

28 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

You literally could get all 4 seasons on one day, or it could be glorious without a cloud in the sky. As others have said, bring multiple thin layers. Here’s what I bring for a week:

2 Long sleeve mock necks

7 Golf Polos

1 Rain jacket

1 Rain pants

4 Shorts

2 Vests

1 Fleece Pullover

1 Thin Pullover

You pack heavy! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Gringo said:

You pack heavy! 

And usually only end up using half of it. Better to have it and not use it then needing it and not having it…

I'm at the Inverness airport Marriott at the end of a week in Aberdeen and the Highlands, which was my fourth trip to Scotland. As others have said, you need to be prepared for anything weather-wise. We are here during the longest days of the year, it being light from before 5 am until after 10 pm. The temps during our rounds have ranged from 48* F to 63*F. It rained heavily during parts of our rounds at Cruden Bay and Brora. We had drizzle during parts of other rounds, but the most impactful weather aspect was the wind. We had three days of winds in the 30+ mph range with steady gusts in the 50+ range. The "feel like"  temps are a lot lower than the actual temps on those days. 

Bring layers and make sure to have room in your golf  bag for them. I have a tiny carry bag that was stuffed as I stripped off layers.

I brought a couple under armour cold weather base layers, a wool sweater, a light wind breaker, a medium weight wind breaker, and a waterproof suit. I  mixed and matched what I took to the course each day, depending on the temp range predicted for the hours of the round.

Do not forget to bring a ski cap, either nylon or gortex. I forgot mine this trip and had to buy one at Castle Stuart. It was the best investment I made on this trip. When the temp is in the low  50s and the wind is howling, keeping your head and ears warm is a must and a baseball style cap will get blown off your head.

Make sure to bring two pairs of waterproof shoes. Despite the rain, my feet were bone dry, but between the rain and foot perspiration the first pair did start to smell , so bring baby powder, a spray shoe deodorizer or better yet, a few scented laundry dryer is sheets. They do wonders to see get rid of shoe stink.

Don't bother with an umbrella. When it's windy they are more of a hindrance than a help and just weigh down your bag. An umbrella is only helpful if it's not very windy, which is not typical, and a good waterproof rain suit and hat will make the umbrella superfluous.

As for your courses, I've played all of the ones in your list. Five of them in the last 6 days. They are all different and all excellent. You are going to have an amazing time

If you are considering squeezing in an extra round, consider Fraserburgh (Corbie Hill) located between Cruden Bay and Nairn. It has 16 really good holes (1 and 18 are  entry and exit holes to and from the more interesting land) and a great vibe. Or consider getting the day ticket to combine Brora with Golspie. For just a few extra pounds, you can play Golspie on the day you play Brora. They are only about 10 minutes apart and very different courses.  Golspie has a handful of heathland holes that add some variety to all of the great links on your itinerary.

Have fun and hope for nice weather, but be prepared for anything 

• Like 3

On 6/18/2022 at 11:29 PM, hammergolf said:

And usually only end up using half of it. Better to have it and not use it then needing it and not having it…

On 6/18/2022 at 11:29 PM, hammergolf said:

My bag is about as light as it gets. No pockets for all that gear. I can wear two (three in winter) and carry one layer. I typically bring one pair of shorts unless the forecast calls for two max....which is very rare. I routinely play hilltop and links. I don't seem to have issues, but I do pay attention to the forecast. If I was going to stack up on gear it would be with extra shoes. One very light pair and one waterproof. 

1 minute ago, El Gringo said:

My bag is about as light as it gets. No pockets for all that gear. I can wear two (three in winter) and carry one layer. I typically bring one pair of shorts unless the forecast calls for two max....which is very rare. I routinely play hilltop and links. I don't seem to have issues, but I do pay attention to the forecast. If I was going to stack up on gear it would be with extra shoes. One very light pair and one waterproof. 

I found one thing that helped me, instead of really heavy bulky rain gear I used in past trips, I now use lightweight stuff. Even if I dips into the 40’s three layers is plenty. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sabram said:

I'm at the Inverness airport Marriott at the end of a week in Aberdeen and the Highlands, which was my fourth trip to Scotland. As others have said, you need to be prepared for anything weather-wise. We are here during the longest days of the year, it being light from before 5 am until after 10 pm. The temps during our rounds have ranged from 48* F to 63*F. It rained heavily during parts of our rounds at Cruden Bay and Brora. We had drizzle during parts of other rounds, but the most impactful weather aspect was the wind. We had three days of winds in the 30+ mph range with steady gusts in the 50+ range. The "feel like"  temps are a lot lower than the actual temps on those days. 

Bring layers and make sure to have room in your golf  bag for them. I have a tiny carry bag that was stuffed as I stripped off layers.

I brought a couple under armour cold weather base layers, a wool sweater, a light wind breaker, a medium weight wind breaker, and a waterproof suit. I  mixed and matched what I took to the course each day, depending on the temp range predicted for the hours of the round.

Do not forget to bring a ski cap, either nylon or gortex. I forgot mine this trip and had to buy one at Castle Stuart. It was the best investment I made on this trip. When the temp is in the low  50s and the wind is howling, keeping your head and ears warm is a must and a baseball style cap will get blown off your head.

Make sure to bring two pairs of waterproof shoes. Despite the rain, my feet were bone dry, but between the rain and foot perspiration the first pair did start to smell , so bring baby powder, a spray shoe deodorizer or better yet, a few scented laundry dryer is sheets. They do wonders to see get rid of shoe stink.

Don't bother with an umbrella. When it's windy they are more of a hindrance than a help and just weigh down your bag. An umbrella is only helpful if it's not very windy, which is not typical, and a good waterproof rain suit and hat will make the umbrella superfluous.

As for your courses, I've played all of the ones in your list. Five of them in the last 6 days. They are all different and all excellent. You are going to have an amazing time

If you are considering squeezing in an extra round, consider Fraserburgh (Corbie Hill) located between Cruden Bay and Nairn. It has 16 really good holes (1 and 18 are  entry and exit holes to and from the more interesting land) and a great vibe. Or consider getting the day ticket to combine Brora with Golspie. For just a few extra pounds, you can play Golspie on the day you play Brora. They are only about 10 minutes apart and very different courses.  Golspie has a handful of heathland holes that add some variety to all of the great links on your itinerary.

Have fun and hope for nice weather, but be prepared for anything 

Hope you enjoyed your trip @sabram! Even us locals have thought that it has been unusually windy the past couple of weeks. 

@cjblake09when do you pass through Elgin? Suspect that you would be coming through at some stage. If you are looking for things to do away from golf, let me know, happy to give some recommendations! 

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

7 minutes ago, cjblake09 said:

That is why i am currently looking at Kjus and GG over my old and bulky FJ stuff.

Here is what I’m using, even though it’s not “golf” specific it works great. Sunice has sone really good lightweight stuff too.

https://www.gorewear.com/us/en-us/gore-tex-paclite-jacket-mens-100651?variant=3636&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIucTatLDB-AIVCMLCBB0alAsDEAQYASABEgKkVvD_BwE

• 2 weeks later...

@cjblake09I played Nairn three times in the last week. It is in the best condition I have ever seen it and given the general standard of the place, that is saying something. You are really in for a treat!

• Like 2

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

On 6/18/2022 at 4:58 PM, hammergolf said:

2 Long sleeve mock necks

7 Golf Polos

1 Rain jacket

1 Rain pants

4 Shorts

2 Vests

1 Fleece Pullover

1 Thin Pullover

This was almost exactly my packing list. 

Base layer wear a golf polo for every round - unless it is super cold then will use the thermal undershirt.

Then I had one thin fleece and one heavy fleece. 2 vests - one lightweight and one warmer one.

I skipped the shorts and just brought pants. 

Another option of course is to pack lighter and keep buying new shirts at all the pro shops...since most of us will be doing that anyways...

By the end of the trip I had used almost everything. Never ended up using the heavy vest, didn't need the heavy pullover much either but it was definitely helpful on one round.

Wore the rain jacket for maybe three hours total out of a 7 round trip so I felt very lucky there. Never bothered with the rain pants it was never coming down heavy enough to need them - the golf pants I had are mildly water resistant and lightweight synthetic fabric so they dry out quickly. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 7:41 AM, MattyO1984 said:

@cjblake09I played Nairn three times in the last week. It is in the best condition I have ever seen it and given the general standard of the place, that is saying something. You are really in for a treat!

Nairn was the last round of my Scotland  trip in June. It was the course that most exceeded my expectations. It is not to be missed.

• Like 2

I may not be the right person to ask LOL. Spent 8 nights in St Andrews in mid August - it was sunny every single day. The last day I was there, after I holed out on the 18th of TOC, it poured buckets as we were walking across the street to go buy some merch. When we came out - it was sunny again.

But - just check the forecast before you leave, check a couple different sites. I did that and pared down what I had packed. Scotland isnt the middle of Siberia or the backwoods of Alaska. Forecasts are generally pretty good tempwise. Yes you might get a pop up shower. But if it says low 40s in the morning getting up into the mid 50s - its not going to be off by 40 degrees. 

I'm a huge GG proponent but also would look at Kjus if I needed to replace it. Only wore shorts the whole week, if it was cold in the morning, I just popped on the goretex rain pants. I've done enough long golf trips now, I've learned how to pack lighter.

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

On 7/8/2022 at 11:56 PM, dcmidnight said:

I may not be the right person to ask LOL. Spent 8 nights in St Andrews in mid August - it was sunny every single day. The last day I was there, after I holed out on the 18th of TOC, it poured buckets as we were walking across the street to go buy some merch. When we came out - it was sunny again.

But - just check the forecast before you leave, check a couple different sites. I did that and pared down what I had packed. Scotland isnt the middle of Siberia or the backwoods of Alaska. Forecasts are generally pretty good tempwise. Yes you might get a pop up shower. But if it says low 40s in the morning getting up into the mid 50s - its not going to be off by 40 degrees. 

I'm a huge GG proponent but also would look at Kjus if I needed to replace it. Only wore shorts the whole week, if it was cold in the morning, I just popped on the goretex rain pants. I've done enough long golf trips now, I've learned how to pack lighter.

I am amazed seeing people wear winter caps, jackets and rain trousers during summer in Scotland in 10c weather. That's a nice two layer day, perfect for golf. 25c is blazing saddles. Maybe I don't feel the cold as much as some? I see guys wearing one short sleeve layer with a hard frost on the ground! 

5 hours ago, El Gringo said:

I am amazed seeing people wear winter caps, jackets and rain trousers during summer in Scotland in 10c weather. That's a nice two layer day, perfect for golf. 25c is blazing saddles. Maybe I don't feel the cold as much as some? I see guys wearing one short sleeve layer with a hard frost on the ground! 

All depends what you're used to. 

Yesterday's high temp here was >40c 

10c aka 50f is about the cutoff of as low as I will consider going out here at home.