2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Taylormade Stealth 2……it’s happening?????? Black and Red

TRC723

Went in for some testing specifically wanted to try the G430 LST and the Stealth 2+. Thought will share some results from an average Joe, I'm neither Ian's Matty Boy nor do I have near as close ball speed as Peter 🙂 

Definitely liked the feel of stealth 2+,  for whatever reason was finding the center of the face with stealth 2 +. Gamer refer to SIM 2 with stock rogue silver 60 Stiff nothing fancy. Used the same shaft with the Stealth 2 + as well. No shots have been deleted. 

This was all standard weights and setting at 9 degree. Would you change or try anything else seeing the numbers ? 

image.png.fed47b8e10b345f3e0a07d829f76c373.png

image.png.b8eb9344f5e4e0217dfe53e1b979f099.png

image.png.0d2a6f69b3a0450821d80d7978b61b69.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Botchio said:

he may have had good results at the end but the spin dispersion was terrible within each model. Like what 2300-4200? That’s absolutely insanity and what I’ve seen in all the reviews. Matt barely missed and went from 1900 to 3300 spin. 

Once again those spin numbers are due to inconsistent strike patterns.   Shiels is NOT A good golfer & Matty tries to reinvent his swing every other day, as I stated every time he works with Larry his swing gets worse.

This guy was SUPER consistent across the entire line, but once again the Plus seems to be the home run this series.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S 
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 34.5"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

8 minutes ago, ignitewvu said:

Once again those spin numbers are due to inconsistent strike patterns.   Shiels is NOT A good golfer & Matty tries to reinvent his swing every other day, as I stated every time he works with Larry his swing gets worse.

This guy was SUPER consistent across the entire line, but once again the Plus seems to be the home run this series.

Yeah Matt can’t seem to find a “pattern” that works for him. I’ll be honest I’m not a fan of the pattern Scott has him working on, so tight and restricted. Take advantage and improve on natural characteristics and traits. It’s obvious he’s tried the restricted arm swing forever and it hasn’t stuck. Should go with the pattern Ian is being taught 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ignitewvu said:

That might be the case with inconsistent shots by Matt and Rick, but damn that I is what my game is like. I am no Rory or Rahm that drives it on a string. I hit crappy shots one hole one day to the next. So seeing that dispersion is a problem is an absolute no go for me. I have hit some super long shots with the original SIM driver best every in my golfing career...but when I am off my shots are wild...same with stealth..not sure if the lack of MOI or the lower spin that is the issue. 
So for me would sacrifice some distance for more predictability in misses..hence why my g400 max is in the bag..I can often feel a horrible heely miss that amazingly finds the center of the fairway...the holy grail is still the longest/straightest driver ... robot testing should really be testing off center hits not center strikes...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ericft said:

That might be the case with inconsistent shots by Matt and Rick, but damn that I is what my game is like. I am no Rory or Rahm that drives it on a string. I hit crappy shots one hole one day to the next. So seeing that dispersion is a problem is an absolute no go for me. I have hit some super long shots with the original SIM driver best every in my golfing career...but when I am off my shots are wild...same with stealth..not sure if the lack of MOI or the lower spin that is the issue. 
So for me would sacrifice some distance for more predictability in misses..hence why my g400 max is in the bag..I can often feel a horrible heely miss that amazingly finds the center of the fairway...the holy grail is still the longest/straightest driver ... robot testing should really be testing off center hits not center strikes...

I think the G400 Max vs the Stealth is kind of an Apples to Oranges situation.  Two completely different playing drivers.  The G400 was a fantastic line.  To be honest, I am not sure Ping has actually improved on it much if at all.  

I would be curious what a G400Max user thinks of the Stealth2 HD.  I don't suspect the Stealth would be quite as forgiving.  But I am curious how they stack up.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

2 hours ago, mkidding said:

What's the third shaft from the left? Is that a Tensei Orange Pro?

There’s 4 drivers. Is one a 440cc?😂

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 MCA MMT 80X @ 45.5”

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Mini 340 Shaft TBD @ 43.75”

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

5 minutes ago, radiman said:

I think the G400 Max vs the Stealth is kind of an Apples to Oranges situation.  Two completely different playing drivers.  The G400 was a fantastic line.  To be honest, I am not sure Ping has actually improved on it much if at all.  

I would be curious what a G400Max user thinks of the Stealth2 HD.  I don't suspect the Stealth would be quite as forgiving.  But I am curious how they stack up.

G400 Max would be less draw biased (or not draw biased at all) right?

Just now, darunia484 said:

G400 Max would be less draw biased (or not draw biased at all) right?

I don't know haha.  It's been so long since I hit the G400Max.  All I remember is that it was straight and loud haha.  I feel like the G425 Max had a pretty closed face and some draw in it.  Not sure how much draw there would be in the HD.  It seems to be pretty neutral at address. 

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Just now, Botchio said:

I dunno missing 4 mm from Center and having a 1000 rpm swing seems ‘not forgiving’ by definition. Maybe I suck but I easily miss by a few mm or more lol. 

I have been at work all day so haven't seen all of the review vids yet.  Where are we seeing that drastic of a spin difference?  

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

2 hours ago, mkidding said:

Time to have some fun now 🙂

image.png.fd462236c02a2560425708a5947f9ed8.png

image.png.b13dd972d1ac692700c38bf1b3182002.png

Not going to lie.  That top white/black combo gives me SIM vibes and I dig it. 

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

6 minutes ago, radiman said:

While I agree to some extent, TM stealth or Stealth HD should line up with drivers like g400 max and g400 sft...The plus lines up with LST. So TM should have a forgiving driver in their lineup like other companies. And it should be forgiving. And to be honest, my g400 max is almost as long as any taylormade one. Why? because I know it is more forgiving I sometimes feel freer to give it a rip...who knows..

But you know I will be trying the new TM drivers!!! Loved the stealth when it first came out, took demo last march to Sawgrass..drove the ball stupid good..came home, bought a new driver and it never worked again. To be fair, my course is tree lined to penalty of being in the trees is significant..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eric61 said:

It seems like a lot of YouTube reviewers have a really hard time saying anything that comes across as critical while testing new stuff at the companies' HQs. One thing Shiels, Finch and Crossfield have in common is that they didn't have brand reps standing next to them while they filmed their reviews. I think based on watching this year's reviews, I wish other YouTubers would decline those corporate trips in the future.

I would say in TXGs case, they are pretty up front about these videos with the OEM reps being "first impressions" and then follow up with an full review back at their studio.  I don't mind that they do these first impressions to get us a first look at a newly released product, but I don't put any stock into what the reps are saying and know that TXG aren't going to say anything negative in these first impression videos, but will be more objective and critical with the full test.  

• Like 3

G430 Max 9* - Hzrdus Blue PVD 
Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

U505 2i - Hzrdus Black rdx

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

Just now, thigos said:

I would say in TXGs case, they are pretty up front about these videos with the OEM reps being "first impressions" and then follow up with an full review back at their studio.  I don't mind that they do these first impressions to get us a first look at a newly released product, but I don't put any stock into what the reps are saying and know that TXG aren't going to say anything negative in these first impression videos, but will be more objective and critical with the full test.  

I do agree with you about this. They'll rarely say anything outright negative about a product (although it slips out down the road; I've definitely heard Ian more openly criticize Radspeed, for example, in a couple recent videos). But they do a great job once they're back in their studio. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 21* | Project X Denali Blue 80TX

Hybrids: Ping G430 5H @25*, 6H @29 | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 6-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

53 minutes ago, radiman said:

Not going to lie.  That top white/black combo gives me SIM vibes and I dig it. 

Hahaha I was simply trying to make a "SIM 3" driver color pattern. Glad to see someone gets it!!

Paradym 9 + Vanquish

Stealth 2+ 3w + Ventus Blue

Callaway UT 2024 Tour Issue 18 + KBS PGH

Mizuno 923 Tour 4-P + ProjectX LZ

Cleveland RTX 6 50 55 60

Toulon Design Vista + BGT Tour Stability

2 hours ago, ignitewvu said:

Something is off with his reviews.  Swing speed on stealth 110s... Ping 107s...Callaway 105s.   His efficiency is about the same with all three but why would he be swinging the stealths so much faster than the other brands.  Different launch monitor settings?  Different days?  Certainly doesn't seem to be apple to apple based on his varied swing speeds in each review sets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, radiman said:

I have been at work all day so haven't seen all of the review vids yet.  Where are we seeing that drastic of a spin difference?  

The first three shots with the + model Matty hit. 

-2,657rpm with a strike 2mm up, 4mm toe  

-2,042rpm 2mm up 4mm heel

-1,853rpm 0mm up 3mm heel

Then they moved the weight toe side and he hits a bit high fade left, but they didn't show the numbers.  Then a low right hooker.  The average numbers end up looking good at like 2,200rpm.  But they were all over the place to achieve that.

Then they switched heads to the Stealth2, and the first three shots are 2,380rpm, 3,157rpm, 1,944rpm.  Those strikes were all toe side, and had a larger variation of being high or low.  5mm low for that high spinner, 7mm high for that low spinner.  

For average Joes, 5mm high or low is pretty common, and seeing 1,200rpm spin difference seems not ideal.

Edited by subrew
  • Like 1

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Bridgestone Tourstage X-FW 13.5* (Bassara 40)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 20* Hybrid (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Mizuno Fli-Hi T-Zoid 24* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Maruman Conductor Pro Forged  6-9 (Kurokage Black 50)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (Bassara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

5 hours ago, NoCalHack said:

I didn’t realize others had that view. 

I saw a vid where he advocated folding your lead arm across your chest to get more power. Wow. That’s a death move for most players. I stopped with those vids after that. 

another suspicious thing about that Larry guy is I’ve never seen him hit a ball except to demonstrate a drill. 

Not to derail the topic further but, I took online lessons from Larry and since I have actual experience, I feel qualified to speak on it.  That being said, he was pure class, very knowledgeable (great swing diagnostics) and helped me a ton.  He's the real deal.  

• Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ Ventus Blue +

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

24 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

24 Apex Pro 4 Iron

24 Callaway JDM X -Forged 5-PW  Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S ,54W, 58Z

Butter Putter

Chrome Tour X

4 hours ago, Botchio said:

he may have had good results at the end but the spin dispersion was terrible within each model. Like what 2300-4200? That’s absolutely insanity and what I’ve seen in all the reviews. Matt barely missed and went from 1900 to 3300 spin. 

2nd Swing reviewer (not Thomas) was less than +\- 150 RPMs with standard Stealth2 and +2.

• Like 4

Vessel Players III Matte Grey Bag

Titleist TSR2 9° Driver (C1) | Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6s

TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° Mini Driver (-0.75°) | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

TaylorMade Qi10 5 Wood | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 4 Hybrid | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 8s

Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW Irons (1° Weak) | KBS Tour Black Pearl S

Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome 54D, 60T Wedges | True Temper DG120 Onyx S200

TaylorMade Spider Tour X Proto Putter | KBS Black PVD 

Callaway Chrome Tour X Triple Track Ball

30 minutes ago, JMB3 said:

2nd Swing reviewer (not Thomas) was less than +\- 150 RPMs with standard Stealth2 and +2.

It’s bizarre, I’m not sure if it’s the ‘live effect’ or what but matty is never that all over the place. I don’t mean to pick on him like I said new9 guy also had crazy spin deviations, I think he legit went 1800 to 4200 on the regular but don’t quote me it was vast enough I took note. 

could it be inconsistency in some of the faces/heads? Even Trottie who I think is quite good was hoping around on spin, but focusing on ball speed consistency. 

4 minutes ago, Botchio said:

It’s bizarre, I’m not sure if it’s the ‘live effect’ or what but matty is never that all over the place. I don’t mean to pick on him like I said new9 guy also had crazy spin deviations, I think he legit went 1800 to 4200 on the regular but don’t quote me it was vast enough I took note. 

could it be inconsistency in some of the faces/heads? Even Trottie who I think is quite good was hoping around on spin, but focusing on ball speed consistency. 

Yeah, that is quite surprising for Matty, even with him working on his swing.  I haven’t watched those two videos yet but will this evening.

Vessel Players III Matte Grey Bag

Titleist TSR2 9° Driver (C1) | Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6s

TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° Mini Driver (-0.75°) | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

TaylorMade Qi10 5 Wood | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 4 Hybrid | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 8s

Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW Irons (1° Weak) | KBS Tour Black Pearl S

Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome 54D, 60T Wedges | True Temper DG120 Onyx S200

TaylorMade Spider Tour X Proto Putter | KBS Black PVD 

Callaway Chrome Tour X Triple Track Ball

22 minutes ago, Botchio said:

16 minutes ago, JMB3 said:

Yeah, that is quite surprising for Matty, even with him working on his swing.  I haven’t watched those two videos yet but will this evening.

Not surprising at all when they include all shots rather than "that was 6mm toe, remove it from the numbers"

You guys are all duped into thinking Matt hits it into a 15 yard circle because of selective shot removal on ALL their videos.

• Like 3

Haha yea, what he said ^. It’s a bit ridiculous that everyone here ooze over gains, forgiveness, etc and then someone whose what I’d call great at golf is supposedly bad enough that his spin jumps 1000 during testing and it’s not surprising to anyone. 

If that’s to be expected then it’s laughable almost if not all golfers see an ounce of difference in new drivers period. let’s go get fit, and in reality you miss 3 mm and are now no longer fit for the driver cause it’s a dead bird or a floaty spinner. I dunno maybe I never paid close enough attention but I’m certainly worse than Matt so for me, it looks unforgiving and is a pass. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

who cares what the reviews on YouTube say? go test the product and make up your own minds. I was sceptical when they showed me the product late last year but after testing stealth 2 is by far better than the OG stealth for me.

• Thanks 1

TM QI10 LS 6* - HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 60 6.5 TX 

TM BRNR Mini Driver 13.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 6.5 TX

TM P-UDI 2 Iron - Ventus Blue Proto 9X

TM P7TW 4-PW - Project X 7.0

TM MG4 - 52* & 58*, MG High Toe 64* - Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Monterey / SC Phantom 5.5 / TM Spider GTX / TM Spider Armlock

11 minutes ago, Shaqlemore said:

who cares what the reviews on YouTube say? go test the product and make up your own minds. I was sceptical when they showed me the product late last year but after testing stealth 2 is by far better than the OG stealth for me.

Just curious, can you define what "far better" means in terms of results?

Edited by Albatross Dreamer