2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

What does a shorter putter shaft help you with ?

VanTheMan0519

Just asking for personal opinions. Always played 35 and have never wavered. What made you switch and what were you hoping to improve upon?

Titleist TSR4 Ventus Black 6X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 Wood Ventus Black 8X

TaylorMade UDI 3 20* KBS Tour Proto Hybrid 95X

Ping i230 4-PW Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 50,54,58

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

I’m 6’ and I play 33.5” but I’ve considered cutting down again to 33” 

short stick = greater head control 

For the same reason that every little league coach trolls the kid who can’t hit to choke up on the bat 

Don’t know what I was looking to improve when I switch, coach suggested it to me when I was 14 or 15 and I just did it. 

I don’t think I could ever got back to something like a 35”, hell when I try out flat stocks in the store I actually choke up on them lol

• Like 2

When I played tapered grips, it was pretty important to get my hands/arms in a more comfortable spot for the type of stroke I like. When I'd use 35+ inch putters, it felt like my arms formed a "U" rather than a "V". Now that I use mostly non-tapered grips, I can grip down as much as I need to, but I still prefer a slightly shorter length.

• Like 1

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Let's my arms relax a bit more and I don't bottom out the club on the stroke sometimes. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I’m 6’0 and recently switched to a 34 from 20 years of 35” putters.  Helped make a more relaxed stroke, not so much tension in my forearms and shoulders.  

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Went from 35 to 34 and it gets my eyes over the ball more

• Like 1

TM Qi10 (9*) | Speeder 661 Evolution  IV X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (3) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

I played a 33 inch putter most of my golfing life because the shorter length felt good. Well, turns out standing closer to the ball (I’m 5’11’’) messed with seeing the line because of the parallax effect. I switched this year to a 35 inch and either get my eyes inside or inside and in back of the ball and it’s been a revelation. I barely miss inside of 5 feet now, where I used to be so erratic as I struggled to line up my putts. Just watch out if you switch to a shorter putter- it may affect how you see the line… or don’t see the line. 

• Like 2

I'm 5' 9" and use 33" putters. Like others have said, with a 33" the ball is directly below my eyes which helps me see the line better. Longer putters always felt like they were too far away, like I was swinging a pw. I use heavy putters and the shorter length reduces the pendulum effect of the heavy putter head.

EDIT: Another benefit I noticed was the shorter putter length also will affect lie angle slightly. My putters were originally 34" with a lie angle of 72 degrees which, at 72* the toe was sticking up about 2-3 degrees. After shortening the putters the head sits almost flat now.

Edited by rd1959
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 4:14 PM, MachineHack said:

I’m 6’ and I play 33.5” but I’ve considered cutting down again to 33” 

For the same reason that every little league coach trolls the kid who can’t hit to choke up on the bat 

Don’t know what I was looking to improve when I switch, coach suggested it to me when I was 14 or 15 and I just did it. 

I don’t think I could ever got back to something like a 35”, hell when I try out flat stocks in the store I actually choke up on them lol

I'm not trying to talk you out of getting a shorter putter but, I've got one putter at 33.5" and another at 33" and I can't see or tell any difference between them. 

Edited by rd1959

2 hours ago, rd1959 said:

I'm not trying to talk you out of getting a shorter putter but, I've got one putter at 33.5" and another at 33" and I can't see or tell any difference between them. 

thanks for the feedback!

wouldn’t get a new putter anyways would just blow the grip off and whack another 1/2” off this shaft anyways 

• Like 1

I blew the grips off two putters and cut them down to 32 and 31 inches.  Then I put the grips back on.  They both felt better to me.

Then I bought a 32" 2 ball blade that had a ladies grip installed (between Juniors and men's).

The 29.5 Juniors 2 ball was a little too short for me.  32" seems to be the right length as I'm only 5' 2".  And the ladies grip feels about right as well.

Edited by ShortGolfer

In the last year, I went from a 35” to 34”. This helped me be more consistent, better control of pace, not bottoming out/hitting the fringe and looking down my line was better for me. I started dropping more putts right away. I could probably could go down another .5”-1” based on my arm length/height of 5’9”, but I was not ready to make that big of jump. 

The other item that helped me was moving to an oversized grip. This reduced the tension in my hands/arms. These 2 changes have really helped me out on the greens. 

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym Std 10.5*-Tour AD XC 6s

Apex UW’s: 17*-Tour AD IZ 8s, 19* & 21*-Tour AD UB 7x

UT Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21*-Tour AD DI Hybrid 85x

Irons: Callaway Epic (2017)-UST Recoil ES 780 F4 (6-PW)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 48*S, Jaws MD4 52*S and Jaws Raw Full Toe 58/10

Putter: Toulon Garage Atlanta DB Stroke Lab 34"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Honorable Mention: Paradym Std 3HL (16.5*) - GD Tour AD IZ 7s

56 minutes ago, hitnfades said:

In the last year, I went from a 35” to 34”. This helped me be more consistent, better control of pace, not bottoming out/hitting the fringe and looking down my line was better for me. I started dropping more putts right away. I could probably could go down another .5”-1” based on my arm length/height of 5’9”, but I was not ready to make that big of jump. 

The other item that helped me was moving to an oversized grip. This reduced the tension in my hands/arms. These 2 changes have really helped me out on the greens. 

One of my putters has an oversize grip. The extra weight in the grip makes it feel more balanced overall.

For me practice is key to putting well.  At 6’4” a short putter limits my practice as my back will complain.  

35-36 for me.  

• Like 2

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Jailbird Cruiser.  

I have purchased almost all my putters at 35" and I was a terrible putter.

After trying a friend's 34" in the same model as one of mine, and what a difference an inch makes!

I am hooked...getting over 30 putter shortened is a pain in the a**.

Shortening a putter up to 1" can mess with the balance...Scotty's require heavier weights, the others get lead tape.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

From pga.com
"Virtually every Tour player is fit to their putter. But almost no amateur players do that! The average height of a PGA Tour player today is 6' and he uses a 33.5 inch putter on average. You guys are using a 35 inch putter on average because that is the "standard" putter. A properly fit putter will allow you to set up with your hips over your ankles, your hands under your shoulders with a little bend in the elbows and your eyes over the ball."
Unless you're 6'2" or more, then your 35 inch putter will not allow you to set up correctly and will not give you the best chance to make a good stroke. And just cutting down your putter will not work because it will then be too light. The head weight must increase as the club gets shorter to keep the swing weight in balance. The answer then is a custom fit putter.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

On 6/30/2022 at 7:17 AM, 2Down said:

For me practice is key to putting well.  At 6’4” a short putter limits my practice as my back will complain.  

35-36 for me.  

I'm 6'2", went to 36" middle of last season, results have been better, I didn't feel comfortable hunched over 33" 34" putters I have used forever.

I got a Club Champion putter fitting this spring and they fit me at 36.5", but I'm happy with 36" and a few degrees upright.

Pretty much the grip for me.  I hold the thing place and the same way every time.  Well I try to, 

scotty used to have different weights for length.  The first red x putter had a paint fill on the sole of the head weight and length.  All three lengths were stamped but they paint filled only the one the one you had.  35 330, 34 340. Etc.  

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Jailbird Cruiser.  

On 7/4/2022 at 3:29 PM, rlb4 said:

Why not just choke down 1"? This will allow you to be a little more upright when needed if your back is sore. I realize that shortening/choking down 1" will lower the swing weight but most putters(usually only higher end ones) do not compensate head weight from the factory for different lengths.

Shhh, you're making too much sense. 😁 Remember, this is the WRX forum. There's no room for simplicity here.
 1" more upright to ease back pain doesn't help me at all. I have 3 degenerated discs in my lower back plus sacroiliitis that flares up from time to time. At the moment I've settled on 33" but I'm very interested in trying one of those Hybrid X putters that are the length lie of a hybrid club only with a putter head. I've practiced putting with my 4 hybrid and discovered that my putting stroke is much smoother with no pain in my lower back.

Makes putter lighter (easier to swing) and allows me to find comfortable posture. I'm only 5'9, so I play my putter at 31". I have  T-Rex arms too. If I had gorilla arms I would play even shorter. 

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS (8), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Taylormade SLDR Mini (12), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Titleist TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

Srixon U85 (22), PX 6.5

Ping i210 (5-UW), X100

Mizuno T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

DFX 2 Ball Blade 

Srixon Z-Star XV

I had a putter fitting at Club Champion.  My fitter said I needed a 31" face balanced putter.  Precisely my gamer last year!  

I put on a new grip as the old one was too big and put it back in the bag.  I also traded in some clubs I didn't need to buy a 2 ball Odyssey ten,  which I'll cut down to 31 inches and put on a new White Hot Pro grip.

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2022 at 6:47 PM, ShortGolfer said:

I had a putter fitting at Club Champion.  My fitter said I needed a 31" face balanced putter.  Precisely my gamer last year!  

I put on a new grip as the old one was too big and put it back in the bag.  I also traded in some clubs I didn't need to buy a 2 ball Odyssey ten,  which I'll cut down to 31 inches and put on a new White Hot Pro grip.

What is your height?

On 6/27/2022 at 3:14 PM, MachineHack said:

A few years ago I got a tune-up fitting for my putter. Shaft was at 34", which was fine for me.

On 6/27/2022 at 3:24 PM, robcha said:

When he shortened my putter to 34', it helped me stand more on top of the ball.

For about 20 years, I played with a Bullseye putter which was 35" long. Some weeks, I would miss shots to the left. Pulling it out of "the museum" a decade ago, I realized that the longer shaft was causing me to rock putter back on heel a bit - much like left misses with a fairway wood that is too long.

As far as "on top of the ball," I get more natural arm hang with a 34" putter. With a longer putter, I need to have more of a V-alignment with my forearms. This feels unnatural to me and is hard to maintain week to week.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I am 5'10, and my SC putter is 34", 360 head weight - 2/15 gram weights, SW-D5.  Can't say what a shorter putter shaft would do, depends entirely on the user.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX