2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i230 pic

jwo

I've had my clubs (power spec) for about 2mo now and no complaints. The forgiveness on mishits is a game changer. Distance is very consistent with good spin, especially when conditions are wet. Aesthetics are so modern/sleek looking with a lot of compliments on them, too. 

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6S

Stealth+ 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7S

TSR3 18* w/ Tour AD UB 8S

23' T200 4-6 w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

23' T150 7-PW w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

RTX 6 ZipCore 52, 56, 60 w/ DG Spinner

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

Please don't tempt me with your WTS/WTT posts...

11 minutes ago, stevechooster said:

I've had my clubs (power spec) for about 2mo now and no complaints. The forgiveness on mishits is a game changer. Distance is very consistent with good spin, especially when conditions are wet. Aesthetics are so modern/sleek looking with a lot of compliments on them, too. 

What's the gap like between your TSR2 7W (playing it at 21*?) and your i230 5 iron (standard loft?)?

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 21* | Project X Denali Blue 80TX

Hybrids: Ping G430 5H @25*, 6H @29 | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 6-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

46 minutes ago, eric61 said:

What's the gap like between your TSR2 7W (playing it at 21*?) and your i230 5 iron (standard loft?)?

Ahh thnx for noticing that lol. My 5i goes about 190 (200 when well struck) and my 7W goes about 210 (220 when well struck). Personally, that gap doesn't bother me much bc by that distance, it's just about getting it to the pin as close as possible. I did just pick up a Stealth UDI 4i (23 but loft actually around 22.75) w/ a tour AD DI 85S driving iron shaft, that I am testing against the Ping i230 4i I have about possible gap filling. 

Btw I just saw your WITB - how's that iCrossover?

Edited by stevechooster
  • Thanks 1

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

55 minutes ago, stevechooster said:

Ahh thnx for noticing that lol. My 5i goes about 190 (200 when well struck) and my 7W goes about 210 (220 when well struck). Personally, that gap doesn't bother me much bc by that distance, it's just about getting it to the pin as close as possible. I did just pick up a Stealth UDI 4i (23 but loft actually around 22.75) w/ a tour AD DI 85S driving iron shaft, that I am testing against the Ping i230 4i I have about possible gap filling. 

Nice! We're definitely working out similar set-ups. I'm sort of undecided on the iCrossover so far. Our distances are very similar -- for me the i230 5 is 190, the iCrossover is 205, and the TSR2 7W is 215-220ish.

The thing with the iCrossover is it just doesn't go very high. Every other club in my bag peaks at 100-105ish (ok the 7W goes higher), but I just can't get that kind of height out of the iCrossover. I wanted it as something I'd hit into long par 3s, but I'm pretty sure that even a perfectly-struck ball would just go racing through the green, which really defeats the purpose. I don't know, it's winter in Chicago, so these are things I really need to test on the course, rather than relying on simulators and the rare nice day at the range.

That said, I just got the TSR2 7W. I've used Ping 7Ws in the past, but never liked how shallow they were. The left-handed versions of the Titleist 7Ws just became available, and mine arrived a few days ago. I absolutely love it so far -- SO easy to hit, and just slightly deeper, which fixes my biggest concern. 

I like it enough that I'm not really sure I need something between it and the 5 iron. Maybe on windy days, but otherwise, probably not. I'll really just need to test it, and see if a choked-down 7W can basically replace that spot in the bag.

I'm also planning to test out a TSR3 24* hybrid as a 4 iron/iCrossover replacement. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 21* | Project X Denali Blue 80TX

Hybrids: Ping G430 5H @25*, 6H @29 | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 6-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

1 hour ago, eric61 said:

Nice! We're definitely working out similar set-ups. I'm sort of undecided on the iCrossover so far. Our distances are very similar -- for me the i230 5 is 190, the iCrossover is 205, and the TSR2 7W is 215-220ish.

The thing with the iCrossover is it just doesn't go very high. Every other club in my bag peaks at 100-105ish (ok the 7W goes higher), but I just can't get that kind of height out of the iCrossover. I wanted it as something I'd hit into long par 3s, but I'm pretty sure that even a perfectly-struck ball would just go racing through the green, which really defeats the purpose. I don't know, it's winter in Chicago, so these are things I really need to test on the course, rather than relying on simulators and the rare nice day at the range.

That said, I just got the TSR2 7W. I've used Ping 7Ws in the past, but never liked how shallow they were. The left-handed versions of the Titleist 7Ws just became available, and mine arrived a few days ago. I absolutely love it so far -- SO easy to hit, and just slightly deeper, which fixes my biggest concern. 

I like it enough that I'm not really sure I need something between it and the 5 iron. Maybe on windy days, but otherwise, probably not. I'll really just need to test it, and see if a choked-down 7W can basically replace that spot in the bag.

I'm also planning to test out a TSR3 24* hybrid as a 4 iron/iCrossover replacement. 

Interesting info. Yeah, by nature, longer irons become harder for amateurs. That's why I purposely got the Modus 105S in my irons for something a little lighter ( I had Modus 120S before) and went with a slightly lighter graphite shaft in the Stealth UDI for that reason. Pro with the i230 is the overall head shape and deeper/taller face. Pro with the Stealth UDI is TM's speedfoam insert and overall internal design is meant to get that ball out there. I am thinking of that 4i spot to be just a long overall club that I could use during windy days if the 7W balloons up too much, but realistically, I don't need a 4i in my bag...lol. I was considering that iCrossover before, just hate that adapter concept on a driving iron (not an issue with the adjustability, but from a build standpoint, it's a hassle). 

If you have a chance, get your hands on a GD shaft (like your driver) for your 7W and try it. I really like that UB shaft, as well as the HD and DI model.

Edited by stevechooster

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

10 hours ago, eric61 said:

Nice notes!  I’m putting a i525 4i in my bag for similar reasons. Need that 200-220 club and this gets up and stops for me. I actually prefer the iron vs another hybrid or 5W.  Maybe something to try?  I could NOT hit the crossovers. Really weird but none of them. 

Blue Velocore+ 6S, TSR4 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper Lite S T150 4-Gap
S200 Shaft SM10 54S and 58M
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

20 hours ago, stevechooster said:

I'm in this same situation right now, trying to fill the 4 iron spot and looking at the iCrossover. I didn't order the i230 4 but hitting the 5 iron with plenty of height and stopping power with the Modus 105 shaft so thinking the i230 4 iron might be an option. I'm curious about what you didn't like about the i230 4 iron that has you looking at other options. Flight to low, not the gapping your looking for? Not a huge fan of the iCrossover looks, more so the offset but if works that wouldn't matter.

Edited by gjunky
Spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gjunky said:

I'm in this same situation right now, trying to fill the 4 iron spot and looking at the iCrossover. I didn't order the i230 4 but hitting the 5 iron with plenty of height and stopping power with the Modus 105 shaft so thinking the i230 4 iron might be an option. I'm curious about what you didn't like about the i230 4 iron that has you looking at other options. Flight to low, not the gapping your looking for? Not a huge fan of the iCrossover looks, more so the offset but if works that wouldn't matter.

Nothing that I don't like about the i230 4i. I originally made up my mind to just go from 5i to 7W. I just decided recently on a whim when I realized the Stealth UDI comes in a 4i option, so i found a steal on eBay lol. Just figured as a typical Golf WRXer, it'd be fun trying to test between the two clubs. The benefit of the i230 4i is that the face is taller than the Stealth UDI, but the benefit of the UDI is the design as a driving iron so when you catch it, that thing explodes off the face. 

• Like 1

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

On 2/17/2023 at 5:30 PM, eric61 said:

14 hours ago, Wardman said:

Nice notes!  I’m putting a i525 4i in my bag for similar reasons. Need that 200-220 club and this gets up and stops for me. I actually prefer the iron vs another hybrid or 5W.  Maybe something to try?  I could NOT hit the crossovers. Really weird but none of them. 

3 hours ago, stevechooster said:

Nothing that I don't like about the i230 4i. I originally made up my mind to just go from 5i to 7W. I just decided recently on a whim when I realized the Stealth UDI comes in a 4i option, so i found a steal on eBay lol. Just figured as a typical Golf WRXer, it'd be fun trying to test between the two clubs. The benefit of the i230 4i is that the face is taller than the Stealth UDI, but the benefit of the UDI is the design as a driving iron so when you catch it, that thing explodes off the face. 

In the same boat, swing similar to you guys. Been playing sub70 699's before getting fit for these. Ordered 4 Iron i525, 5-PW i230 with the 525 being more off the tee, utility style iron use. Hoping a 7 wood fits after the 4 iron to be my long par 5 club, took a few swings with a demo 7 wood and it seemed to go maybe only a few yards more than my sub70 4 iron. Has anyone maybe bent the 525 to i230 loft? or kept it standard? have a fitting thursday so fingers crossed a 7 wood fits in, if not seems 5 wood will be the play i guess

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gjunky said:

I would recommend giving the i230 4i a shot.  It sounds like we’re in the same SS range as I hit the 4i about 200-210.  

Coming from 223s the i230 4i is very forgiving and launches high but is also easy to flight down.  I could definitely hit a hybrid further but I need something I can flight down.   

The offset is more than Id prefer from a looks standpoint but it doesn’t seem to want to go left and the performance is worth it.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 3:45 PM, eric61 said:

I am hitting my i230 5iron longer than I thought. Today on trackman at an indoor dome fitting for my TSR2 - 7wood. i230- 5iron was carrying 212ish and total about 230 avg. I had to set the TSR2-21degree to C1 which is 20.25degree to get a good distance between. 
I currently have the i230-4iron and the TSR3 -24 degree hybrid and think I could get away with out it. Maybe be able to add another wedge or get the hybrid for a shot shape option??

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rjp322 said:

Tried these today and ordered on spot. They are very very consistent. Ball after ball I was getting very tight spin and the same ball speed. They are a solid half to full club longer than i200/i210. They just spin less than these irons. I think I’m going to be very happy with them

What shafts did you order with them?

5 hours ago, SaVo_ said:

In the same boat, swing similar to you guys. Been playing sub70 699's before getting fit for these. Ordered 4 Iron i525, 5-PW i230 with the 525 being more off the tee, utility style iron use. Hoping a 7 wood fits after the 4 iron to be my long par 5 club, took a few swings with a demo 7 wood and it seemed to go maybe only a few yards more than my sub70 4 iron. Has anyone maybe bent the 525 to i230 loft? or kept it standard? have a fitting thursday so fingers crossed a 7 wood fits in, if not seems 5 wood will be the play i guess

the only other comment I can throw out for anyone using the i230s and transitioning to the woods is looking at hybrids (G430 looks amazing now that they’re integrating carbon), but also to explore other brands. The Titleist T200 utility iron is awesome, too, as well as the new TSR hybrids. Nothing wrong with just sticking with the i230 4i as well. Or, get the i230 4i or 3i and reshaft it with a slightly lighter graphite shaft for some more kick and height. 

• Like 1

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

On 2/14/2023 at 1:00 PM, nickosbad said:

Hmmm…very interesting watch!!

Ive been fighting the urge to change from my T100 (current gen) to these, I have a similar situation to Ian, I deliver the club very toe down and most fitters try to put me into 3’ upright but doing that sends my starting line left so I’ve been playing a mis-fit lie for as long as I can remember!!

If I can find an ion that allows a correct lie angle but prevents a left ball flight then it may be my unicorn!!

I was contemplating the i230, but love my T100s so much I can’t do it right

now. How’s the turf interaction with the slightly clunkier soles on very tight lies? My T100s spin a lot, but I play a course with firm greens and being able to fly them deeper is helpful.  I assume i230s would be moderately lower spin?

1 hour ago, Mrgreen36 said:

Just saw these, look wonderful at address, feel good, but dang that price tag.  

Don't pay retail

WITB:

Ai Smoke Max 9* Tensei 1k Blue

Ai Smoke Max 5w Ventus Blue +

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping Blueprints S 5-P Modus 105S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Tour X

1 hour ago, JourdanM said:

Don't pay retail

I wish.

Looking at just over $1900 for 3-pw w/ upcharge shafts and tax.  

😒

TSR3 9* | Ventus Blue TR 6X

TSR2+ 13* | Ventus Red 7X 

T200 2-Iron | Ventus Blue HY 10X

T150's 3-PW | DG TI X100

SM10 Raw 

50.12F | DG TI X100

54.12D | DG TI S400

60.08M | DG TI S400

TM MySpider X Blk on Blk 34"

Titleist Pro V1

18 hours ago, SaVo_ said:

I hit the 5i well and just cannot hit the 4i. Been back the fitter and tried things. Logic is if I’m going to iit it bad, best to hit i525 further bad 🙂. I do play the 3h, then a 16 deg 3w ( over 5w I had) for gapping. It’s about 210 - 225 - 245 for me then driver. 

• Thanks 1

Blue Velocore+ 6S, TSR4 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper Lite S T150 4-Gap
S200 Shaft SM10 54S and 58M
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

These are potentially going in the bag this year. I'm looking for guys who have had these for a little while if they have any regrets or noticed things over the longer term that they didn't see at a fitting, etc. 

I demoed these and I was really impressed. I thought nothing could take t100 out of my bag but this could be it.

12 hours ago, rjp322 said:

Project X IO 110s

This is what I have.   What shaft do you have in wedges?   I have the IO in my 50 and considering it in a 54 and 58 Glide 4.0

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

2 minutes ago, buckI said:

This is what I have.   What shaft do you have in wedges?   I have the IO in my 50 and considering it in a 54 and 58 Glide 4.0

I have pxg sugar daddy II wedges and as we all know their shaft selection is terrible. I have the elevate tours in them though in stiff

Pretty impressed with the IO shafts. Didn’t know much about them but have tried them in a few sets over the last year and liked them every time

On 2/15/2023 at 6:18 PM, easyyy said:

I have been a Srixon ZX7 and ZX5 combo player for years. My miss is left and noticed after many different range sessions these Pings were behaving straighter for me. I stuck with the Srixons and kept trailing the Pings until I decided to put them in play.

I put the new i230's in play last week in Florida and played a few full rounds with them. Really liked them and the guys I play with were clearly thinking the same thing I was, that these irons were going to be in the bag. The trajectory and accuracy of many shots were incredible. Still in the honeymoon phase but I was thinking the same thing (anti left bias) I saw in Ian's video before I saw it.

Then I watched Ian's video last night and was surprised his observations were the same as mine. 

Go straight, lots of spin and great trajectory window. No distance gains in these IMO like you would see in P790 type tech iron but I dont want distance as much as predicable distance and straight. If it get closer to the pin birdies are easier.

Ping has a winner with these.

On 2/15/2023 at 6:18 PM, easyyy said:

Great to hear that you came from zx5/7 and like the ping more...I am looking at both sets (mkii srixons) and an upcoming fitting should help determine a gamer.  Wondering if these are just made for those of us with a toe-down delivery and left miss bias?  They do certainly seem to go straight...consistently.  I am definitely looking at the power spec...otherwise may get them bent 2* strong.  I did notice they were considerably shorter than similar mizuno forged irons...but those are 3* stronger so makes sense.  Anyone go with power spec?  Does it affect the straight results at all?  I've heard bending lofts affects the offset as well, so hoping that doesnt make them any less forgiving to hit.

Does anyone know how Ping iron lengths compare to other manufacturers? 

for example, when I’m fitted for Mizuno, I’m 1/4” over, but Mizuno is already longer than most so I’m really like 1/2” over compared to Titleist and Callaway. I think Srixon is like Mizuno and on the longer side too. 

How does Ping compare?