2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i230 pic

jwo

On 3/16/2023 at 11:12 AM, JBuer said:

How many RPM did the hard stepping drop? I am in the same boat. I am looking at the 6.0's and LOVE the feel (not even a faster swing) but I was getting too much spin.

my issue wasn't for spin decrease, i wanted it to feel a bit more stable. the hardstepping honestly didnt do a TON to the spin...but it did alot for the feel. 

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

I am getting the itch for some new irons and the i230 is on the list with the 223 mizuno and jpx 923 forged and maybe the tour. 

Playing fairly normal lofts now (42* 9 iron) so I would hope to stay in the same distance window of 130-140 yd 9 iron. So I hope to find a mizuno demo day to hit off grass and the same for the i230 but they seem to be very hard to find anymore. 

Big issue maybe finding graphite in the 100 g range to hit from either brand and recoils are a pretty firm no from past experience. Oban steel could be an option as they seemed to be less harsh on the old joints but again hard to find in a fitting cart.

But the hunt is half the fun anyway.

• Like 1

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9* GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

4 hours ago, sociojeje said:

Before COVID, did Ping charge so much for custom shaft? I loved i230 but can't justify almost $60 upcharge for recoil 95 (some sellers charge even more).. Will it ever come down or is it going to be this way for Ping? No upcharge for Mizuno and only $9 for Srixon... 

It was common; they have price breaks on some, but others were full-boat, passed on direct.

In those cases, it can be worth your while to find a gently used set (or stock steel off-the-shelf), and take them and the shafts and grips and have a reputable builder create them. You can get a little bit custom when you do that, too -- like custom ferrules, or grip combos of different colours, or whatever your heart desires.

The pulled shafts can be donated. You can also pull the trick of getting some for cheap like the Oban 115's on your order, pull and resell them for more.

It's all about how frugal you want to be.

• Thanks 1

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

Managed to snag myself a lightly used (indoor 3-4 times) 4-Pw set with modus105 30% under retail so I couldnt resist anymore. 

I love them. Lighter than my S300 MP-64s so picking up swingspeed, ballspeed, height, spin and distance. Im pretty damn stoked as In going from 45ish descent to 50. 

The only thing is what the say about Mizuno is real, they are softer and feels stickier but when striking i230 well it doesnt matter, the ballflight is just beautiful. 

My only concern this far is the grooves and how it will work on the course, they are deep and thin so cleaning will probably need more than a swipe with the towel. 

Anyone have opinions on this?

Get a little brush. If you can, one of those water-squeeze brushes. They work.

And you're not wrong; they require more cleaning than normal. They work better than normal, too, so it's definitely worth the effort.

• Like 2

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

My sticks came in! Hit a few shots with the 6i and it feels great. Now for the real fun - pull the heads, swap in some Oban ct125 shafts and finish them off with some sweet bbf ferrules and matching grips.

Predictable - swing weights are low, D0 on my 6i with a std lamkin grip. Oban is a little more tip heavy so we'll see if any of these are getting the lead treatment. Those of you who are using heavier grips, definitely keep that in mind...

Question for guys who came from t100 or other small cb clubs: how were your gaps shaking up? I have over probably 1000-1500 recorded shots with my T100s and I noticed some weird gap issues between 9 and 8 and 6 and 7. My lofts were all std and it was like the 9 was hot and the 7 was cold. Did anyone need to make tweaks?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

It was common; they have price breaks on some, but others were full-boat, passed on direct.

In those cases, it can be worth your while to find a gently used set (or stock steel off-the-shelf), and take them and the shafts and grips and have a reputable builder create them. You can get a little bit custom when you do that, too -- like custom ferrules, or grip combos of different colours, or whatever your heart desires.

The pulled shafts can be donated. You can also pull the trick of getting some for cheap like the Oban 115's on your order, pull and resell them for more.

It's all about how frugal you want to be.

Head weights are different for stock steel vs graphite so buying used and reshafting from steel to graphite or vice versa not gonna work too well unless you know what you're doing.

16 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

My sticks came in! Hit a few shots with the 6i and it feels great. Now for the real fun - pull the heads, swap in some Oban ct125 shafts and finish them off with some sweet bbf ferrules and matching grips.

Predictable - swing weights are low, D0 on my 6i with a std lamkin grip. Oban is a little more tip heavy so we'll see if any of these are getting the lead treatment. Those of you who are using heavier grips, definitely keep that in mind...

Question for guys who came from t100 or other small cb clubs: how were your gaps shaking up? I have over probably 1000-1500 recorded shots with my T100s and I noticed some weird gap issues between 9 and 8 and 6 and 7. My lofts were all std and it was like the 9 was hot and the 7 was cold. Did anyone need to make tweaks?

Let us know how that shaft change goes. I am coming from t100s too. I have not hit the full set of 230s yet as I'm waiting for it to get warmer to hit outdoors. 

11 minutes ago, xGameOver said:

Let us know how that shaft change goes. I am coming from t100s too. I have not hit the full set of 230s yet as I'm waiting for it to get warmer to hit outdoors. 

I anticipate it will go well, that's what I got fit into and I've already put one of the shafts into a spare mp20 iron head I have. 

Currently combination of sick and pretty busy so I probably won't have them fully complete for another 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

i get mine tuesday - i'll let you know how my gaps work out. *sets reminder to comeback to this thread for Ziggz*

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

3 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I'll be curious too how the top end of the bag works out considering you have even more speed than I do. 

truthfully i have options - i have the paradym std 3w, TD 5w, i230 3i, and i have a hybo somewhere in the garage (sim max with tensei 100tx in it that's never going anywhere). 

we'll see. might depend on the course i'm playing that day or which one is in the doghouse haha

4 hours ago, Leftyjoe89 said:

When did you order yours?

i ordered March 9th

1 hour ago, gioguy21 said:

truthfully i have options - i have the paradym std 3w, TD 5w, i230 3i, and i have a hybo somewhere in the garage (sim max with tensei 100tx in it that's never going anywhere). 

we'll see. might depend on the course i'm playing that day or which one is in the doghouse haha

I'll be waiting for the feedback. Im going to hopefully get the set out on good ol Flanders blue white Friday. Oban shafts still sitting by idle but some x100s that came stock should be fine. 

Just now, Z1ggy16 said:

I'll be waiting for the feedback. Im going to hopefully get the set out on good ol Flanders blue white Friday. Oban shafts still sitting by idle but some x100s that came stock should be fine. 

the greens and tee boxes look phenomenal right now. i played flanders yesterday and 9 at sunset today. hit em well!

• Like 1

Well, it's been a long road but my i230s finally came in! 4 to pw, blue dot, power spec, px ls 6.5. So far I've hit about 50 balls on the range and they're pretty darn good. There is something to that fade bias as my large draw has been reduced, maybe it's placebo who knows. I have a tournament round tomorrow and I'm putting them straight in the bag for thier inaugural round, should be fun. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TJ83 said:

Well, it's been a long road but my i230s finally came in! 4 to pw, blue dot, power spec, px ls 6.5. So far I've hit about 50 balls on the range and they're pretty darn good. There is something to that fade bias as my large draw has been reduced, maybe it's placebo who knows. I have a tournament round tomorrow and I'm putting them straight in the bag for thier inaugural round, should be fun. 

I am looking at a similar setup.  Can you comment on before and after numbers from your fitting?  For example, after power speccing and putting in Project X LS, spin went from x to y?  Thanks

1 hour ago, ajtruck13 said:

I am looking at a similar setup.  Can you comment on before and after numbers from your fitting?  For example, after power speccing and putting in Project X LS, spin went from x to y?  Thanks

I wish I could give you numbers but we're still in the stone age out here. Not 1 fitter (I'm working on that) no launch monitors. My buddy does have a garmin r10 so ill hit some with my old setup and the i230s. I had ZX7 with DG x7 so that setup was pretty low spin on paper. The 230/px ls fly slightly higher with this set up. 

Lemme get on that garmin and get back here with at least some kind of data.

On 3/21/2023 at 2:37 AM, sociojeje said:

Before COVID, did Ping charge so much for custom shaft? I loved i230 but can't justify almost $60 upcharge for recoil 95 (some sellers charge even more).. Will it ever come down or is it going to be this way for Ping? No upcharge for Mizuno and only $9 for Srixon... 

If those are the shafts you're committed to (and they are great shafts), the question is whether the Pings will perform that much better than, say, the new Mizuno 923 Forged. Would it be worth paying an extra $400 or so for a set, or going to the trouble of having the Pings reshafted. I'm guessing probably not. 

First round with the 230s. These things are forgiving. Still getting used to the shaft change and lighter weight. Px ls feel sooooo much easier to swing than dg x7. Distance is about the same as my zx7s but these things just curve way less. I was literally hitting a big draw 2 days ago and today I aimed for that draw and the ball went where I aimed lol. Hit a few way out on the toe that still hit the green. But the real star of this set for me is the 4 iron! It's a weapon off the tee.

I'm giving the i230 2 thumbs up, considering I put them straight in the bag and the first round was a tournament I can see these helping me to the winners circle going forward. 

Edited by TJ83
Grammar
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

If those are the shafts you're committed to (and they are great shafts), the question is whether the Pings will perform that much better than, say, the new Mizuno 923 Forged. Would it be worth paying an extra $400 or so for a set, or going to the trouble of having the Pings reshafted. I'm guessing probably not. 

You are of course right. It was similar to 223, zx7, and t100s (I liked all of them). Just wanted to own a ping iron set for the first time...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TJ83 said:

First round with the 230s. These things are forgiving. Still getting used to the shaft change and lighter weight. Px ls feel sooooo much easier to swing than dg x7. Distance is about the same as my zx7s but these things just curve way less. I was literally hitting a big draw 2 days ago and today I aimed for that draw and the ball went where I aimed lol. Hit a few way out on the toe that still hit the green. But the real star of this set for me is the 4 iron! It's a weapon off the tee.

I'm giving the i230 2 thumbs up, considering I put them straight in the bag and the first round was a tournament I can see these helping me to the winners circle going forward. 

@TJ83 How did they compare to your ZX7 in lower irons 7-PW? And which shaft did you have in each? I currently play zx7 w/ KBS 120

I just picked up i230 5-PW with same shafts in a trade, but they’re soft stepped. I’d like to think it won’t matter but I may end up having to reshaft them.

Edited by 54CW

Went to fitting few weeks ago and tried i230's with modus 105x. I'm coming from 95g shafts and 130g shafts felt too heavy. i230's with 105x felt ok but quite light. However, decided to order these since numbers were good and tbh I went to get fitted for i230. Few days after fitting I went back to the fitter to check what was the swing weight of the set and it was at D0. Even he was a surprised how light it was. Once my clubs came, he built them to D2 and now the feel is much better. I get some kick from the shaft and the clubs seem to come alive. In addition ball speed went up 118->125mph, i7 ss 92mph. Really happy with the set now.

Preliminary MPF numbers are out on the I230.  Looks to be pretty close to the I210.  I230 VCOG is slightly lower, MOI is a bit higher, C-DIM a hair more toward the toe, and RCOG is slightly deeper.  Typical Ping making incremental improvements.  Amazing thing is they made all these improvements in a slightly more compact package.

“Update:  Ping i230 MPF came out to be 393 MPF, which is in the Classic category.  The Actual Vertical CG is .898″, which is high and that is what hurt the rating.  The #6 iron has 8 degrees of bounce, which negatively effects the vertical cg.  The MOI was really good at above 15.398 and the C-dim wasn’t too bad at 1.348.  Rearward cg location is .484″, which is average.  Again, the vertical cg is the reason for the Classic category rating.  Britt Lindsey”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 9.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 4-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1