2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i230 pic

jwo

On 6/29/2023 at 8:52 PM, VanTheMan0519 said:

Anyone built a utility type club from the 3 iron? Graphite shaft etc. 

Still debating 7 wood/hybrid/utility/crossover for the 20* spot. 

I have a similar experiment in process, but for the next club down (well, head is on order still - not sure what’s taking so long).

New i230 4 iron with KBS TGI 95 graphite shaft via club builder/fitter. Considered OBAN Isawa GLD, but given it’s an experiment didn’t want to get crazy on cost. 

For reference, my i230 set 4-UW is shafted with DG 120 TI X100.  I don’t hit the (steel shafted) 4 iron as well as I’d like sometimes, can feel a little laborious to swing (esp. later in round), and it generally just flies lower than I want…. hence the experiment.

Yes - I have an iCrossover from when I first bought i230’s, but it’s a 3 iron and it just didn’t fit the bill for me and the super narrow course I play. The Alta CB shaft prob didn’t help, and the iCrossover is just nuclear for me.  It goes a MILE off the tee and I’m not straight enough with it (user error). 

Now that I filled the 230~ yard slot with G430 3H, which has been $$$ for me w/tour chrome shaft, looking to get 4 iron graphite build to 215~ carry (5 iron is 200~) with a little more descent angle than the steel shafted one. 

Edited by amking
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR3 8 w/Ventus Blue TR

Ping G430 Max 3W @ 14 w/Tour 2.0 Black X

Ping G430 Max 5W @ 17 w/Tour 2.0 Black X

Ping G430 4H w/Tour 2.0 Chrome X
Ping i230 5-UW DG120 TI X100

Vokey SM9 54 & 58 DG120 TI X100

Toulon Las Vegas

10 hours ago, amking said:

I have a similar experiment in process, but for the next club down (well, head is on order still - not sure what’s taking so long).

New i230 4 iron with KBS TGI 95 graphite shaft via club builder/fitter. Considered OBAN Isawa GLD, but given it’s an experiment didn’t want to get crazy on cost. 

For reference, my i230 set 4-UW is shafted with DG 120 TI X100.  I don’t hit the (steel shafted) 4 iron as well as I’d like sometimes, can feel a little laborious to swing (esp. later in round), and it generally just flies lower than I want…. hence the experiment.

Yes - I have an iCrossover from when I first bought i230’s, but it’s a 3 iron and it just didn’t fit the bill for me and the super narrow course I play. The Alta CB shaft prob didn’t help, and the iCrossover is just nuclear for me.  It goes a MILE off the tee and I’m not straight enough with it (user error). 

Now that I filled the 230~ yard slot with G430 3H, which has been $$$ for me w/tour chrome shaft, looking to get 4 iron graphite build to 215~ carry (5 iron is 200~) with a little more descent angle than the steel shafted one. 

I am in DG120 X100 as well. I just put a Titleist tsr2 hybrid in play. 21* knocked down to 20*. It seems to fit the bill so far. This spot in my bag is the least used club by far. So two fold it stinks to spend so much time and effort experimenting, but when I need it you want it to work lol. I am high spin and high flight and I think a 7 wood would just moon shot on me. Would also favor some forgiveness in the fairway with the hybrid  compared to the icrossover.   I hit the i230 around 210 off the tee. I use it at my home course 2-3 times a round, depending on wind. A fee tight par 4’s and at least 1, if not 2-3 par 3’s depending on wind. I needed a club to fill the gap between my 3 wood and 4 iron. Still may get the crossover and alternate that with the hybrid depending on the course. 

Titleist TSR4 Ventus Black 6X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 Wood Ventus Black 8X

TaylorMade UDI 3 20* KBS Tour Proto Hybrid 95X

Ping i230 4-PW Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 50,54,58

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

18 hours ago, amking said:

Try the i525 4i, stock shaft SteelFiber 95i, $$ for me.  Does exactly what you are asking for.

Edited by Wardman

Blue Velocore+ 6S, TSR4 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper Lite S T150 4-Gap
S200 Shaft SM10 54S and 58M
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

2 hours ago, Wardman said:

Try the i525 4i, stock shaft SteelFiber 95i, $$ for me.  Does exactly what you are asking for.

yep - I was planning to head that direction… I even really like the way the i525 long irons look down by the ball (confidence inspiring), but feel was very “clanky” compared to the i230’s.  So I went i230 build. 

certainly would have been a good bit cheaper to go with what you’re suggesting!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8 w/Ventus Blue TR

Ping G430 Max 3W @ 14 w/Tour 2.0 Black X

Ping G430 Max 5W @ 17 w/Tour 2.0 Black X

Ping G430 4H w/Tour 2.0 Chrome X
Ping i230 5-UW DG120 TI X100

Vokey SM9 54 & 58 DG120 TI X100

Toulon Las Vegas

• 2 weeks later...

Loving my i230’s i have  4-9 with modus 105s and they are like butter… i don’t understand the feel people speak of cause they feel amazing… even when i hit off center it achieves the distance its incredible .. Pin high right or left on misses… i didnt love them at first then i sent them in and had them power spec’d best decision ive made golf wise… they were money when i got them back… i have the icross 3 iron and it blends really nice…. I go glide 4.0 pw, gw, sw, lw … ping bent those a degree strong too … wont be making aby chances anytime soon…. Phenomenal 

Edited by Bobby13
  • Like 2

It appears my constant search for irons is probably over. The combo of the 230 head with the SF 95 stiff shaft works so well. My only misses are pretty horrible swings. I have been fighting a pull hook for awhile. It just shows up and was always lurking. These are so forgiving off of the toe that it just doesn't spin offline that much. 

Now I can focus on rotating putters...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, slalomdude said:

Anyone have any feedback on how the soles perform on true links courses like you find in the U.K. especially in hard summer conditions 

We play on a lot of former riverbed here in NZ, and from what I have noticed, they're fine. I'm planning to keep my OG Blueprints for short irons, but I'd only encourage you to ensure your lie angles are dead-on. Get the colour code exactly right, and you'll have no problem.

I didn't get mine until autumn here, so take that for what you will… it hasn't been a blazing summer yet. I can't see replacing my 5 or 6 iron no matter how hot though.

• Like 2

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2023 at 7:12 AM, Scottyrocket said:

It appears my constant search for irons is probably over. The combo of the 230 head with the SF 95 stiff shaft works so well. My only misses are pretty horrible swings. I have been fighting a pull hook for awhile. It just shows up and was always lurking. These are so forgiving off of the toe that it just doesn't spin offline that much. 

Now I can focus on rotating putters...

The i230 ended my search as well. I played so many sets over the last 18

months… trying everything out, but these irons just deliver day in and day out. 

They are the most consistent irons I have ever played. 

still hanging on to some of my cool vintage and collectors sets, but it’s not like I am searching for anything anymore. It’s quite amazing what they have done with this iron set. 

with that said, I do understand the feel aspect. I have J40CB, Miura MC501, wilson staff blades….etc….. those clubs all feel next level… but you better bring your A+ game. I still love playing with these sets from time to time and will never get ride of them….. but 

I much rather score consistently than have that great feel on my centered shots when I am playing competitively. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hit the I230's a while back on grass and they are very nice irons. Nothing so special that my S55's are in danger of getting booted out of the bag though.😁

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

4 hours ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

I pulled the famous WRX move of “self fitting” for my i230’s. Well I was correct on loft, length and lie but not shaft after visiting a Ping Top 100 fitter. Sending them into Ping to swap the DG120 X100’s for Project X 6.0’s. 

Edit: Also wanted to add, I hit the following: ZX7, 223,225, Cobra Tours, T200’s, T150’s. Couldn’t unseat the Ping’s. 

Give us the full rundown -- what else got close? What was your second favorite? Anything launch or spin considerably higher or lower than the others, or seem particularly more or less forgiving? 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

10 hours ago, eric61 said:

Give us the full rundown -- what else got close? What was your second favorite? Anything launch or spin considerably higher or lower than the others, or seem particularly more or less forgiving? 

Very Interested as well in this 

lots of interesting options, so would love to hear 

I have i230, T150/200 combo and king tours I bounce around with 

look forward to hearing 

Ping G430 Max - Accra Fx3.0 140-M0 / VA Nemesys 6-S

Mizuno ST-Max 3W - LIN-Q M40X Red 5F3

Ping G430 7W - AD-DI 7-S 
Cobra King Tour 4-PW - Modus 105-S
Cleveland RTX6 50 / 54 - DG spinner / 60 - Oban CT 125-S
PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack 

44 minutes ago, Morry said:

Very Interested as well in this 

lots of interesting options, so would love to hear 

I have i230, T150/200 combo and king tours I bounce around with 

look forward to hearing 

I'm going for a fitting today and on paper the i230 is my top pick. Planning to try the Srixon ZX5s, the new T100 and Taylor Made P770s. Might try something in the Mizuno world as well. I'm coming from age old Adams Tight Lies GT irons which I think are about 2º too flat, so I'm very excited to see what this brings.

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf DF3

41 minutes ago, Rearviewmirror said:

I'm going for a fitting today and on paper the i230 is my top pick. Planning to try the Srixon ZX5s, the new T100 and Taylor Made P770s. Might try something in the Mizuno world as well. I'm coming from age old Adams Tight Lies GT irons which I think are about 2º too flat, so I'm very excited to see what this brings.

ah man you're gonna have a great time, lie angle alone is gonna be huge for you if it's 2 degrees too flat

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ironzol24 said:

ah man you're gonna have a great time, lie angle alone is gonna be huge for you if it's 2 degrees too flat

That's based off of the Ping static chart. I've been playing for ~25 years and never been fit for a club. The more I've read up on lie angle I'm almost certain this has been the source of my high/spinny right miss my entire golfing career. It also gets worse/more pronounced as I move down the bag into my wedges. Hoping I can walk out with a good iron fitting and maybe get my existing wedges bent some to take the edge off!

• Like 1

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf DF3

51 minutes ago, Rearviewmirror said:

That's based off of the Ping static chart. I've been playing for ~25 years and never been fit for a club. The more I've read up on lie angle I'm almost certain this has been the source of my high/spinny right miss my entire golfing career. It also gets worse/more pronounced as I move down the bag into my wedges. Hoping I can walk out with a good iron fitting and maybe get my existing wedges bent some to take the edge off!

Same experience and miss, went from irons which were 1 flat to 1 upright in the i230 and the high right still occasionally pops up but it is nearly pin high rather than starting way off line off and being 15 yards short

• Like 1

I will say, all clubs were extremely close and could’ve been easily gamed, except the 150’s. 

I went into the fitting and said, “I love these irons but willing to hit anything”. Started with Mizuno 223. Really like these. Man they had an awesome “crack” when struck well. Shaft was DGX100 Tour Issue. Spin was still a tad higher than i230’s. Srixons ZX7 was the closest and almost won out. I swing my 7 iron between 93-96 and my driver 110-113 ish. I struggle with steep, it is a lot bettter however. We tried the PX 6.0 and I instantly was able to find the club better and swing more inside. That was the biggest change. By this point we were 2 hours in and figured the i230’s would be the best. Spin was around 6800 with standard lofts and I play power spec so this was right in the window. 

I tried 4 shafts in the T150’s. This was the quickest “nope” from the fitter on each one. Too high spin. 

Happy to answer other specifics. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR4 Ventus Black 6X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 Wood Ventus Black 8X

TaylorMade UDI 3 20* KBS Tour Proto Hybrid 95X

Ping i230 4-PW Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 50,54,58

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

Just back from my fitting and went for the i230s as well! I tried a LOT of clubs (ZX5s, Cobra King Tour, P770s, T150s) and it was really close between the Srixons and the i230s, but something about the i230s just felt "right" in my hands. 

Grey is my old club, blue is ZX5s, green is the i230s (standard loft, KBS stiff shaft). 

image.png.fb76aa536ee6aa32ed5440136275bc1d.pngimage.png.e64dd3df2474c066ba64f61e7d44e640.png

image.png.720c04f973d2f2c87e875c7ab35886e7.pngimage.png.cb38fdc8d5ea69e12cd157d6a7abc51c.png

Interestingly my fitter kept me in standard lie, but moved me to a stiff shaft. It was REALLY close between the i230s and the ZX5s so definitely check those out if you're on the fence. I just preferred the look and feel of the Ping at address. Once we played with shafts though the Ping was getting a bit higher and landing softer, with a good amount of spin.

Sadly lead time for these is 3 weeks so I'll have to wait until early September before I get these guys out on the course. I can't wait as the striking just felt so much more predictable with the stiffer shaft and newer head. Hopefully these are irons I can grow into for years to come!

• Like 3

I'll add more thoughts about the i230s.....like the predecessors i200 n i210 , distance control is impeccable throughout the set..... however the long irons have less offset , smaller profile yet as easy if not better of a launch !!! 

Also I'm seeing less turnover; not sure if that's a function of the tungsten toe screw and heel weight or overall design of head ...

I can't reiterate enough that if you're a low launch player or slower swing guy like me but loves long irons, then you have to try the i230s 

• Like 1

Having played both i210 and now i230 irons, the biggest difference for me as a natural drawer of the ball, the i230’s are harder to turn over which is a god send for me. Sound and feel better as well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 5W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

Placed my order yesterday for a 4-PW set of i230

Been playing T100 for almost 2 years with AMT White and the last 2 months I've just lost all confidence with them so they need to be put on the naughty step for a while (possibly indefinitely).

Went back and forth between PX iO and PX LS, ended up in 6.0 LS, was initially concerned that I wouldn't spin the longer irons enough but strangely, I was actually getting slightly higher spin readings with the LS over the iO (granted this was with a 7 iron). As much as I liked the feel of the iO and they were so easy to swing, the lighter weight is not what I am used to having played DG/AMT/C-Taper for the last 20 years

The hope is that the i230 will offer more forgiveness and higher flights in the longer irons and more consistency across the set.

• Like 1