FW: Ole Blue but stays on the porch most rounds

Hybrids: G425, Cobra  King Tec
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: PM Grind 54/58

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: Srixon Z-Star Divide

6 hours ago, skraly said:

9 pages about a chipper.  Hell has frozen over😱

And you’re  so bored(ing) you have to come here and make a useless comment.

Nice 👍🏻 

Edited by Motoboss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

17 hours ago, skraly said:

9 pages about a chipper.  Hell has frozen over😱

Chippers are fun…in all their iterations. 😎

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

I’m still struggling with my ChipR. I used for three rounds and several times today with poor and a few horrendous results, to the point of giving up on it and going back to my 8 and 7 irons to finish the round. First couple of rounds it preformed pretty decent but not “game changing “.

To be fair I really haven’t practiced with it, just straight into the bag and to the course and have come to realize it’s my set up. My putter is 2* flat and I feel the ChipR is just to upright to get a solid, center face strike with a putting motion. Playing it back in my stance like a wedge usually results in decent strikes but too much spin and coming up short of the hole.

Its going to the bend doctor! Then a bit of practice  before back to the course.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2022 at 10:35 PM, skraly said:

Okay, for all you Chipr fanatics-

After watching this I went right to my local store as i know they had a couple of used Mazel’s in there last time there. 

I bought the ChipR on release day but sold it shortly after due to loft reasons. Came off too low and hot for me. Also it was too long for me (I play a 32” putter).  I went back to my smart sole c 4.0. 

they had the Mazel in 35* and 45*. I liked the 45* on little chips but went into the bay and tried a couple longer swings and proceeded to hosel rocket 3 in a row.  I like the smart sole for shots 10-70 yds with no hurt in front of the greens.  Mazel scared me after the hosel rockets. I’m sticking with my Smart Sole 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

I was in a retailer yesterday and there weren’t any of these but there was an Odyssey chipper be never seen or heard of before. Why didn’t that one capture the public imagination like the Ping? 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

5 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I was in a retailer yesterday and there weren’t any of these but there was an Odyssey chipper be never seen or heard of before. Why didn’t that one capture the public imagination like the Ping? 

For me it was the insert that made the Odyssey chipper seem a little weird.  Could never wrap my mind around it even goofing around at my local GG. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

I use the Cleveland 4c smart sole. It may be as good as a the CHipr . Just use it like a putter . But if the head ever falls off it will replaced by the Ping.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

20 hours ago, Motoboss said:

I’m still struggling with my ChipR. I used for three rounds and several times today with poor and a few horrendous results, to the point of giving up on it and going back to my 8 and 7 irons to finish the round. First couple of rounds it preformed pretty decent but not “game changing “.

To be fair I really haven’t practiced with it, just straight into the bag and to the course and have come to realize it’s my set up. My putter is 2* flat and I feel the ChipR is just to upright to get a solid, center face strike with a putting motion. Playing it back in my stance like a wedge usually results in decent strikes but too much spin and coming up short of the hole.

Its going to the bend doctor! Then a bit of practice  before back to the course.

Yep bend on=== Sometimes you have to fine tune any club for you to get it right for your game

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

2 hours ago, me05501 said:

I think in this case it was because after all it is a Ping and they are known for engineering and innovation

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

20 hours ago, Motoboss said:

It definitely takes practice. I have hit some tremendous shots with it that I normally wouldn’t. But have had a few clunkers. I am still a fan. I think it will be a weapon after a few months when consistency improves. You need a go to stroke or two with it. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, winegr said:

It definitely takes practice. I have hit some tremendous shots with it that I normally wouldn’t. But have had a few clunkers. I am still a fan. I think it will be a weapon after a few months when consistency improves. You need a go to stroke or two with it. 

Yes I agree. I need some serious practice time with it but it’s not going anywhere.

11 hours ago, me05501 said:

I think since the odyssey had that large head similar to many cheaper chippers and or mallet putters it had that bag stigma.

The ping looked no different in my bag than my g425 irons.  I’ve been gaming the smart sole 4.0 dark finish all season and use it several times a round and not one person has ever said to me … is that a chipper ?

now I have chipped a few close and got a complement which then opens the door for some conversation. …I usually say… here try this out. And so far every person has put a 2nd ball down and has chipped closer with my smart sole C over their club. That’s usually when they say… what club is this again and who makes it ?

Ping 2023 Anser D

11 hours ago, Bbunty said:

For those of you that bought one did you make it the same length as your putter? 

I ordered mine through my local pro shop at putter length, midsize grip and graphite shaft, matching my irons.
I failed to have it bent 2* down like my putter and now taking it to get adjusted as it doesn’t match my putting stroke as is.

I think if your going to use a putter stance and stroke most of the time get it to match your putter features.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CoachZee said:

I'm still waiting for our local Golf Galaxy to get the Ping Chiprs in.  I like the idea of it being more playable than my Cleveland.

I know our local Galaxy got 5 in the day of release. I looked the night before and their site said 4 available. Day of release none. I went into the store that afternoon and the manager said people were there when the store opened and all 5 sold before they could put them out. I went in yesterday and they never had anymore in yet. My local grass roots store got 5 in too. I bought one and yesterday 2 were still sitting there. 

as for it being more playable than the Cleveland, how so?  I actually found the Cleveland smart sole C more playable than the ChipR due to having more loft and it’s still in the bag. Sold the ChipR.  If pings ever releases another one with more loft I’ll try it again but if you chip with wedges the Cleveland imho is the better option at 42*. If you chip with an iron, the ping will work for you. I just don’t like chips to come off real hot like it does with an iron or hybrid. 

Edited by erock9174

Ping 2023 Anser D

The Cleveland C Smart Sole is no joke. Used it this past weekend in a number of situations. 

1. Punched out from under a tree, lie was a thick bed of pine straw, 50 yards out - on the green, no problem.

2. Long green side bunker shot from WET sand - on the green, no problem.

3. A trio of testy chips from off the green that had to clear a bunch of fringe and stop quick - on  the green, no problem.

4. Long bum and run from the chute - on the green but a bit short, no problem.

5. Fairway bunker escape - into the fairway, no problem. 

The combination of loft and lie make it easy to hit your target, but I firmly believe the key is the sole that just refuses to hit fat or get bogged down. Sure, you can hit it thin which I did once while warming up before the round. Just be firm and deliberate, no problem.

It just works. 

I may have to take serious look at the other models in the lineup.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I’m admittedly disappointed. The ChipR is in time out for now. The encouraging practice with it has not transferred to the last few rounds that have been played. Even with the new loft (40*) and lie (2* flat) I still have too many poor results with it. The last straw was today where I skulled a chip over the back of the green, back across off the front of the green then 6 feet by coming back again. And that was after two previous holes where it cost me at least one stroke each time I used it.

I went back to the 7, 8 and 9 irons the rest of the day and managed to gain back most of what I had lost with the ChipR. I know it’s me but with the rounded bottom bounce I just can’t make good face contact and “bouncing” the club into the ball, blading it. All the while having success with my “regular “ chipping clubs.

I have to take a few weeks off from golf so it’s going to sit until later towards the fall before it goes back in the bag, but will continue to practice with it when I can. Hopefully things will improve.

4 minutes ago, Motoboss said:

Ok, I’m admittedly disappointed. The ChipR is in time out for now. The encouraging practice with it has not transferred to the last few rounds that have been played. Even with the new loft (40*) and lie (2* flat) I still have too many poor results with it. The last straw was today where I skulled a chip over the back of the green, back across off the front of the green then 6 feet by coming back again. And that was after two previous holes where it cost me at least one stroke each time I used it.

I went back to the 7, 8 and 9 irons the rest of the day and managed to gain back most of what I had lost with the ChipR. I know it’s me but with the rounded bottom bounce I just can’t make good face contact and “bouncing” the club into the ball, blading it. All the while having success with my “regular “ chipping clubs.

I have to take a few weeks off from golf so it’s going to sit until later towards the fall before it goes back in the bag, but will continue to practice with it when I can. Hopefully things will improve.

Have you gotten benefit from longer shots?  I love hitting 60-140 yard shots with it too. Knock downs to full swings. 

but on long and medium chips, it has been great for me as well. 

it definitely has saved me some strokes. 

No , I’ve never used it for more than probably 30-50 yards out and it’s scary to even thing about a full wedge swing with it . That would be like hitting a 7 or 8 iron distance. 😬

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Motoboss said:

No , I’ve never used it for more than probably 30-50 yards out and it’s scary to even thing about a full wedge swing with it . That would be like hitting a 7 or 8 iron distance. 😬

for me a fuller swing with it, fit it right between my normal 9i 37.5 and PW 42.5 which based on spec for the ChipR 38.5 is spot on.  Granted the ChipR is shorter shafted so it should go shorter loft for loft, but I think since it comes off a little lower it probably has more ball speed than a normal wedge.  Just a hunch. 

Ping 2023 Anser D

I would agree it definitely comes of hotter than any similar club due to the weight. From even 30/40 yards I have to bounce it waaaayyyy in front as it carries way to much speed to get a ball to stop.

I think technique and swing path makes a big difference between users. Personally I would never have a use for it more than the 40 yards and in but bought it for mainly around the green use, which has been a fail so far.

Sorry, late to this thread,  I do not have the best short game, but I find that if I take any club from 8 iron to sand wedge, raise the heel and hit hit the chip like a putt, I can be pretty consistent.  So why put this type of club in play?  I do not mean any disrespect to any other posters.  I'm just saying that this technique has helped me.