2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New Ping ChipR

36 minutes ago, capifico22 said:

What does it mean..

Bump for better lie and rake bunkers to create a better surface to hit from.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

my Ping Chipr made it today. i had tried to modify my custom order but i guess those modifications didn't make it to the order. any how, easy modification, cut it down to play 32" to be more like my putter. 

Pics ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

3 minutes ago, capifico22 said:

Gross

I agree If you’re a purist and post to GHIN to keep an official handicap.  On the other hand, there are tons of recreational golfers who just play casual rounds and scrambles and for whom this is the norm.

Callaway 58* PM Grind 19

Just picked up my ChipR from Carls 5 minutes ago so still haven’t used it but it looks great. 

Only issue I had which I thought was a little strange was I ordered the S200 shaft with the sales guy at Carls and he 1000% noted it in my order and it showed up with the ping wedge shaft. Which if you go on Carls website now the only options are Ping wedge or graphite shafts so it seems like Ping just said screw it. What are your thoughts? I took the club because I was looking forward to getting this since I learned about it but kind of disappointed even though it’s out of Carls hands since they did order it correctly

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bkm97 said:

Just picked up my ChipR from Carls 5 minutes ago so still haven’t used it but it looks great. 

Only issue I had which I thought was a little strange was I ordered the S200 shaft with the sales guy at Carls and he 1000% noted it in my order and it showed up with the ping wedge shaft. Which if you go on Carls website now the only options are Ping wedge or graphite shafts so it seems like Ping just said screw it. What are your thoughts? I took the club because I was looking forward to getting this since I learned about it but kind of disappointed even though it’s out of Carls hands since they did order it correctly

It is a chipper. You do not need a special shaft. Although I would also be frustrated if I ordered something custom and it came stock. Did you pay more for the shaft? If you did I would ask for a refund and if not I would keep it and enjoy it.

Edited by stephenmatt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bkm97 said:

Only issue I had which I thought was a little strange was I ordered the S200 shaft with the sales guy at Carls and he 1000% noted it in my order and it showed up with the ping wedge shaft. Which if you go on Carls website now the only options are Ping wedge or graphite shafts so it seems like Ping just said screw it. What are your thoughts?

32 minutes ago, stephenmatt said:

It is a chipper. You do not need a special shaft.

I’m tempted to pile on here with a sarcastic version of a standard GolfWRX refrain such, “Great concept, the head is a game changer, just need to replace the rubbish stock shaft with my gamer…”

However, truthfully, were I in the market I would replace the shaft in an effort to reduce the heinous E6 swingweight.  I know they are trying to produce a “putting wedge” here and the current rage/trend is toward ridiculously overweight putter heads.  However, I prefer mine much closer to the SW of my irons and my SW and LW are probably closer to D5.

Full disclosure.  I will be getting the graphite model for my wife and look forward to messing around with it a bit.

Edited by Aviador Naval
  • Like 1

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

1 hour ago, bkm97 said:

Those may have been Carls options but not Pings. They specifically noted only two shafts (both wedge, steel and Alta CB) and one grip (two sizes).

I’d say a Carls misinterpretation, not Pings. 

I called Ping directly before ordering mine from a pro shop.

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

16 minutes ago, Aviador Naval said:

I’m tempted to pile on here with a sarcastic version of a standard GolfWRX refrain such, “Great concept, the head is a game changer, just need to replace the rubbish stock shaft with my gamer…”

However, truthfully, were I in the market I would replace the shaft in an effort to reduce the heinous E6 swingweight.  I know they are trying to produce a “putting wedge” here and the current rage/trend is toward ridiculously overweight putter heads.  However, I prefer mine much closer to the SW of my irons and my SW and LW are probably closer to D5.

Full disclosure.  I will be getting the graphite model for my wife and look forward to messing around with it a bit.

The newer models of Ping 9 irons is a D5, with the ChipR loft between 9 and 8 irons so I’d say D6 is about as close to a “putting wedge” as your going to find.

Remember, Ping is an engineering company………….

Edited by Motoboss

1 hour ago, bkm97 said:

I know on a couple of sites early on you could also change the loft and now that is no longer an option, just the lie can be changed.  Although when sending for a quote through Discount Dans they said they could bend it 2* weak in house for me if I wanted them to.  I didn't order as their price was retail and they had to charge shipping per Ping policy.  Going to just snag one at my local shop once they come in.  

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

18 minutes ago, Motoboss said:

The newer models of Ping 9 irons is a D5, with the ChipR loft between 9 and 8 irons so I’d say D6 is about as close to a “putting wedge” as your going to find.

Remember, Ping is an engineering company………….

Not sure whether there is a typo or we’re talking past each other.  The ChipR weighs in at E6 per Ping literature.  That is 10 swingweight points higher than the vast majority of SWs and LWs (typically highest swingweight in a set) and around 13-14 points higher than most golfers 8i and 9i.

For those folks playing the 360+ gram putters, that E6 swingweight might feel okay.  Good for them.

I’m a D1-D2 iron guy with wedges probably in D4-D5 territory due to standard progression.  My most used putter is a 56 yr old Ping MnBrnz MyDay that is probably D3-D4 - perhaps less.  As such, I’m just not interested in an E6 sledgehammer.  As stated above, all academic as I’m not personally in the market but have every intent of messing around a bit with the one we get my wife.

• Like 2

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

Got it yesterday. I think I like it but not sure it'll ever make it into the regular rotation.

I do also have the Cleveland Smart Sole 4 Chipper. Stock length is 1" longer on the Ping. The Ping is also more upright and has less loft and a significantly thinner sole. All stuff you can see in the online specs and pics.

I got the midsize wedge grip on the Ping and I'm giving it a chance but I'll probably swap it out for a Jumbomax Extra Small like I have on the Cleveland.

I still don't know which one I prefer as they are both very different in setup and what I can get out of them.

I feel like the Cleveland is more versatile with the stock specs but I feel like the Ping is better set up for the standard upright putter stroke low launching bump and run shot.

I feel like I can do more with the Cleveland but I can also use my standard wedges for those shots.

I may also bend the Cleveland to 70/39 and see how it feels. I just really like to tinker and these just give me a reason to try something new.

I'd be happy to share any side by side pics or more detailed specs if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MP4444 said:

Got it yesterday. I think I like it but not sure it'll ever make it into the regular rotation.

I do also have the Cleveland Smart Sole 4 Chipper. Stock length is 1" longer on the Ping. The Ping is also more upright and has less loft and a significantly thinner sole. All stuff you can see in the online specs and pics.

I got the midsize wedge grip on the Ping and I'm giving it a chance but I'll probably swap it out for a Jumbomax Extra Small like I have on the Cleveland.

I still don't know which one I prefer as they are both very different in setup and what I can get out of them.

I feel like the Cleveland is more versatile with the stock specs but I feel like the Ping is better set up for the standard upright putter stroke low launching bump and run shot.

I feel like I can do more with the Cleveland but I can also use my standard wedges for those shots.

I may also bend the Cleveland to 70/39 and see how it feels. I just really like to tinker and these just give me a reason to try something new.

I'd be happy to share any side by side pics or more detailed specs if anyone is interested.

Please do post some pictures showing the comparison, if you don’t mind.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

On 7/23/2022 at 4:16 PM, Motoboss said:

Whatya 12, maybe 13 years old?

I’ve played with persimmon drivers hitting 300 yard drives while you were still in diapers. I’ve played with champions in countries around the world using sticks as clubs and have beaten Tin Cup with a hoe, shovel and a rake.

I am your worst nightmare, the old guy in the floppy hat, Bermuda shorts and a Hawaiian shirt wearing mismatch socks carrying a shaggy bag of eight!

And one of them is a ChipR producing shots of glory, and I mockingly laugh while taking your milk money and watching your youth and smugness fade way…….

…..and I have no idea what a pickle ball is, so good luck with that.

I have been cloned because in my parts I am the old guy with the floppy hat Bermuda shorts and as we call them Tommy Bahama shirts. Now I do carry 14 sometimes 13 but in a raggety Jones bag. In the summer I wear shorty socks with street Sketchers or sometime if I feel like it one of my battered pairs of Nike golf shoes. LOL I found my clone but I somewhat knew it since after all we have the same taste in dogs. And on the persimmon end I still do that too in fact at daylight I will be out with my vintage set on a dew sweeper round. Bad thing is even though I am 65 with a bad back and fat and do not hit it out of my shadow anymore no one messes with me.

I also had my suspicions when we had the earlier discussions on execution of the belly wedge

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

3 hours ago, dalehead said:

I used to play with a guy who bumped every shot into a better lie and raked back every putt within 4 feet.

“What did you have on that hole?”

”Par”

We have a plethera of old farts that do that around my course in the Mens leagues and in the Saturday Shootout too. That same crowd also take free drops out of the traps. One of the reasons I do not desire to play in any of the leagues. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MP4444 said:

I might mess around with the Cleveland one since our course has a strong Cleveland/Srixon presence since the local rep is a member. I will see for kicks and giggles if he has a demo.

Like you said gives me a reason to try something new

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I have been cloned because in my parts I am the old guy with the floppy hat Bermuda shorts and as we call them Tommy Bahama shirts. Now I do carry 14 sometimes 13 but in a raggety Jones bag. In the summer I wear shorty socks with street Sketchers or sometime if I feel like it one of my battered pairs of Nike golf shoes. LOL I found my clone but I somewhat knew it since after all we have the same taste in dogs. And on the persimmon end I still do that too in fact at daylight I will be out with my vintage set on a dew sweeper round. Bad thing is even though I am 65 with a bad back and fat and do not hit it out of my shadow anymore no one messes with me.

I also had my suspicions when we had the earlier discussions on execution of the belly wedge

Yeah through our conversation’s I figured we were brothers from a different mother, although I’m the elder at 68!

In fact when I made that post you reference I laughed at the thought of your response 🙂 

Many similarities 👍

Edited by Motoboss
  • Thanks 1

I don't have any issues with chipping, but are these things any good for things like three-club events? 

My current three club set-up is hybrid, 7-iron, SW (putting with the hybrid). Just wondering what kind of shots you can cover with one of these.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

26 minutes ago, bazinky said:

I don't have any issues with chipping, but are these things any good for things like three-club events? 

My current three club set-up is hybrid, 7-iron, SW (putting with the hybrid). Just wondering what kind of shots you can cover with one of these.

With my Niblick 42 I could cover anything 100 and in, assuming no trouble in between. Crossfield’s ChipR video shows him out to around 100, as well.

Callaway 58* PM Grind 19

29 minutes ago, bazinky said:

@bazinky I think you already have a great selection for a 3 club event and I don't see how the Chipper would fit in and still provide as much coverage as your other clubs.

Maybe if you were looking to replace a PW or 9 iron with a chipper you could make it work and still cover their stock distance with a reasonable ball flight.

2 hours ago, Aviador Naval said:

You need to pop an X-flex 8i shaft in it to lower the launch and increase the spin…

Yep "Tiger Stepping". My favorite set up even now is a 8 iron S-400 stepped like that

12 hours ago, Aviador Naval said:

Not sure whether there is a typo or we’re talking past each other.  The ChipR weighs in at E6 per Ping literature.  That is 10 swingweight points higher than the vast majority of SWs and LWs (typically highest swingweight in a set) and around 13-14 points higher than most golfers 8i and 9i.

For those folks playing the 360+ gram putters, that E6 swingweight might feel okay.  Good for them.

I’m a D1-D2 iron guy with wedges probably in D4-D5 territory due to standard progression.  My most used putter is a 56 yr old Ping MnBrnz MyDay that is probably D3-D4 - perhaps less.  As such, I’m just not interested in an E6 sledgehammer.  As stated above, all academic as I’m not personally in the market but have every intent of messing around a bit with the one we get my wife.

Honestly, I'd trust Ping on this one. I would bet quite a few dollars that they've tested a multitude of lengths, lies, swingweights, etc. with real golfers and found this to be the sweetspot. Is the head going to feel heavy compared to the GW-SW that many of us have probably been chipping with? Sure. But it's a specialty club. It doesn't need to feel like the rest of the clubs in the bag. A putter doesn't need to "feel" like an 8i either.

Lots of the mallet style putters have been getting heavier and heavier the past 5-10 years. Many on the racks are in the D6-E6+ range. Many would say swingweight doesn't really matter in putters, that they're more sensitive to overall weight. Perhaps coincidentally, one thing that a lot of people feel about different types of putters is that a heavier mallet type putter works better for the longer lag putting but the smaller, lighter anser/newport types of blade putters seem easier to make those pesky 3-6 footers with. Would kind of make sense since the ChipR is basically designed to help people lag it up there close.

• Like 2