LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

Did Brooks Koepka officially resign from the PGA Tour?  When he moved to LIV, I don't recall him resigning and don't recall any other news about that. 

If he didn't, it's interesting that he's not one of the names listed on the anti-trust lawsuit.  Are there any other LIV golfers with full-time status on the PGA Tour (at the time they signed with LIV) that didn't resign and aren't apart of the lawsuit?

I'm curious if there is a "play" LIV has with leaving these players off of the anti-trust suit -- or if perhaps Brooks just signed up for LIV and didn't want to ruffle any more feathers on the PGA Tour (or just didn't care what happened to his status on the PGA Tour)?

Edited by SirFuego

1 minute ago, SirFuego said:

Did Brooks Koepka officially resign from the PGA Tour?  When he moved to LIV, I don't recall him resigning and don't recall any other news about that. 

If he didn't, it's interesting that he's not one of the names listed on the anti-trust lawsuit.  Are there any other LIV golfers with full-time status on the PGA Tour that didn't resign that aren't apart of the lawsuit?

I'm curious if there is a "play" LIV has with leaving these players off of the anti-trust suit -- or if perhaps Brooks just signed up for LIV for the money and didn't want to ruffle any more feathers on the PGA Tour (or just didn't care what happened to his status on the PGA Tour)?

CHIII?

LIV Golf is making an interesting arguments.

"LIV Golf can't compete as a stand alone alternative to the PGA Tour.  In order for LIV Golf to compete, we need the PGA Tour to help us out."    

I think the PGA Tour is looking forward to deposing these players and learning more about their contracts with LIV Golf.   What are the penalties if a person who signed with LIV Golf decides they don't want to play in a LIV event, but would rather play in a PGA Tour or DP Tour or even a charity or club tournament?

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Snead said:

Just because I'm sure a number of people won't click on the preview, here the last paragraph after the memo which is cut off:

image.png.632fc74cc0046d08050366de0998fda4.png

It's quite interesting to me that he is encouraging players to speak out on the topic.  It'll be interesting to see if any current PGA Tour players speak out publicly in favor of the lawsuit.

Edited by SirFuego
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, SirFuego said:

If he didn't, it's interesting that he's not one of the names listed on the anti-trust lawsuit.  Are there any other LIV golfers with full-time status on the PGA Tour (at the time they signed with LIV) that didn't resign and aren't apart of the lawsuit?

I noticed this the other day on the PGA site.   If you go to player search, there is “All” and “Active”.  Na, Dustin and Reed are both no longer under “Active”.  Koepka, Ancer, Mickelson, and others show under “Active”. 

I would assume this is an indication of resignation from the tour.   I haven’t gone through all the names though.

As for why some players are not listed on the lawsuit, it may be that they don’t want to go that far….. or it could indicate some tension within LIV themselves with the guys that are suing.  Who knows?

8 minutes ago, SirFuego said:

Just because I'm sure a number of people won't click on the preview, here the last paragraph after the memo which is cut off:

image.png.632fc74cc0046d08050366de0998fda4.png

It's quite interesting to me that he is encouraging players to speak out on the topic.  It'll be interesting to see if any current PGA Tour players speak out publicly in favor of the lawsuit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

2 minutes ago, CaseyC said:

"LIV Golf can't compete as a stand alone alternative to the PGA Tour.  In order for LIV Golf to compete, we need the PGA Tour to help us out."    

LIV just needs golfers to have a tour right? There are golfers all over the place, they have signed a bunch of them up. 

PGAT is under no legal requirement to help out LIV, however they can't restrict trade or commerce. Does suspending players from playing the PGAT fall under restricting trade/commerce... I guess that is the big question. 

To me, at the end of the day an organization such as the PGAT should be allowed to make their own rules outside of government intervention as long as not discriminating against a protected class.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, CaseyC said:

I think the PGA Tour is looking forward to deposing these players and learning more about their contracts with LIV Golf.   What are the penalties if a person who signed with LIV Golf decides they don't want to play in a LIV event, but would rather play in a PGA Tour or DP Tour or even a charity or club tournament?

I think both sides might be in that same position, in terms of digging up paperwork.  Getting some of that LIV insider info will provide twitter with months of juicy info.  Likewise, it will be interesting to see how the official paperwork lines up with Monahan's interviews during the time.

He (Jay) really tried to come off as the most reasonable person in the room when talking about Phil early on.  "Phil has decided to step away...when he returns we can have a chat..." type stuff.  He didn't really answer the question if Phil was suspended.  None of this may have any legal implications, but it might show Jay wasn't quite as reasonable and truthful as it would appear.

• Confused 1

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

As a middling lawyer myself, i would absolutely LOVE to take Phil Mickelson's deposition....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Tsr2 8 or Tsi3 9 with Whiteboard 73 stiff Rombax 7z08
Titleist 910f 15 diamana whiteboard 83 stiff

titleist 818h2 with atmos stiff
titleist 710 mb 4-pw or Mizuno 919 Tour 4-pw or....
Vokey 52,56
Lajosi dd201 about 20 other putters

Maybe I am wrong but wasn't the point to play less golf, spend more time with the family, oh and to make more money.  Wouldn't wanting to have access to the PGA tour go counter to the reason to join LIV?

Also, doesn't LIV have a clause in the contracts which forbids LIV golfers from playing in non-LIV events if they directly compete with the LIV event being held.  That will be difficult as LIV increases the amount of tournaments in a year.  I also thought this was the partly the reason for partnering with the Asian tour to give LIV golfers a way to play more and get OWRG points.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, subrew said:

I think both sides might be in that same position, in terms of digging up paperwork.  Getting some of that LIV insider info will provide twitter with months of juicy info.  Likewise, it will be interesting to see how the official paperwork lines up with Monahan's interviews during the time.

He (Jay) really tried to come off as the most reasonable person in the room when talking about Phil early on.  "Phil has decided to step away...when he returns we can have a chat..." type stuff.  He didn't really answer the question if Phil was suspended.  None of this may have any legal implications, but it might show Jay wasn't quite as reasonable and truthful as it would appear.

Jay is no more obligated to announce Mickelson's suspension than Finchem was in 2014 to announce DJ's suspension. 

• Like 1

Taylor Made Spider Mini

Watching Phil be his own lawyer would be a riot.  Do they allow CBD oil drops in court?  Or vaping?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CaseyC said:

The lawsuit may be more about the short term than the long term.   The players need to play in PGA Tour events this year to try and maintain OWGR points for next year.  

This might be along the lines of what happened right before the Scottish Open.  Didn't a judge issue an injunction right before, allowing three LIV players to play?  

Just now, CaseyC said:

The lawsuit may be more about the short term than the long term.   The players need to play in PGA Tour events this year to try and maintain OWGR points for next year.  

This may be true for the 3 who seek the injunction to play in the Fedex Cup. With the SGL supposedly going to 14 events next year, I don't believe for a minute that any on the lawsuit care about playing on the PGA Tour in 2023. I would also bet that Phil's SGL contract requires him to be a headliner in any lawsuit. 

Taylor Made Spider Mini

35 minutes ago, CaseyC said:

The quoted part, where did you find that said?

• GwrxMod changed the title to LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)
  • GwrxMod locked this topic