Can anyone say Prosoft Inserts helped for sure?

Jul89

Main thing is to cut right back on hitting balls at the Range off Mats...then its up to you on ProSoft or just go to hardware shop buy Dowel in 3ft long to fit in your 0.355tt shaft. I cut 1 and a half inch lengths so 35mm. Only did this a few years ago. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

not really...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

ProSoft inserts help but nothing is as good as graphite to reduce vibrations.  

I used them in my Nippon shafts, went to Elevate shafts (that have their own vibration insert) and then went through a ton of different graphite shafts before settling on Steelfiber FC 115’s for my elbow issues.

Midsize grips or even softer grips like Golf Pride CP2/Pro or Lamkin Comfort Plus can help.

Elbow strap/brace helps when you play.  Elbow specific exercises help when you don’t play.

Don’t hit balls off mats.  Hit off a tee if you have to hit on something other than grass to practice.

Avoid hitting balls in the winter outdoors at heated ranges as the balls are still essentially frozen.

In the end, Graphite is king in reducing vibrations.

• Like 4

Yes they do reduce unwanted vibration.  I have them in mine as well as the hardwood dowels inside the tips of all my irons.  I just don't like the feel of graphite shafts in irons or I would have went that way.  As others have said if the practice mats have concrete under them that will hurt your clubs as well as the joints.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

4 minutes ago, oneaugusta said:

Yes they do reduce unwanted vibration.  I have them in mine as well as the hardwood dowels inside the tips of all my irons.  I just don't like the feel of graphite shafts in irons or I would have went that way.  As others have said if the practice mats have concrete under them that will hurt your clubs as well as the joints.

But a well struck shot without Prosoft feels better than with Prosoft. I can‘t always choose from what surface I hit my clubs. 

• Confused 1

Deja vu...another thread on this 🙂

Not all range mats are equal: places that have the full sized mats are usually softer the the old time-y firm rubber and side grass mat. If you can feel anything hard at the bottom of a slightly fat shot, don't hit those. My favorite range added some updated Fiberbuilt grass style hitting mats and I seek those out vs the older brighter green kind that are super firm on concrete. 

When I discovered this a few seasons back (I am a range rat at times) it drastically improved my elbow issues and that was with normal steels. Moving to graphite has eliminated it for me entirely (pushing 50 here I am sad to say 🙂 )

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jul89 said:

But a well struck shot without Prosoft feels better than with Prosoft. I can‘t always choose from what surface I hit my clubs. 

Your call. Better feeling shots and range time on mats or elbow pain. Really can’t have both. 

As has been suggested here (and numerous other threads) graphite shafts are the way to go to help alleviate pain. As far as the feel, yes it’s not quite as good but pretty close in my experience. There are some great graphite shafts out there. I’m really enjoying my Recoils. 

Titleist TS
Titleist 915F 5W and TSi 7W

Srixon ZX5 w/ Recoil 95
Bettinardi - 56 & 60
Piretti Forza
Titleist AVX

On 11/27/2022 at 7:21 AM, Jul89 said:

I’ve struggled with elbow tendinitis on and off for a long time. I have used almost everything available to help when it comes to golf equipment. I’ve found that graphite shafts are the best way to eliminate the pain. The next best for me are Sensicore inserts in steel iron shafts, these will work most of the time(I have used these in graphite shafts too). I don’t feel a lose of feeling with these inserts.
Softer grips like the GP CP2s also can be helpful. The next thing is the use of a Aircast tennis elbow brace, I will use one if I’m hitting off mats in the winter.

Good luck finding your best cure. 

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

I play over 200 rounds a year and have dealt with both elbow and bicep/shoulder tendinitis at various times.

Have been putting Prosoft inserts into all of my KBS $-Taper 120 stiff steel shafted irons and KBS Tour V stiff wedge shafts for several years and really like the results.  Definitely improves the feel while reducing the harshness of a mishit.

Also using SuperStroke Traxion Wrap Midsize grips and find the super soft grip to help as well with vibration although they are not as durable as firmer rubber grips.

Without a doubt though the graphite shafted clubs that I’ve played attenuated the vibration better than the steel shafted clubs with the Prosoft inserts.

Cobra LTDx LS 9 deg. @ -1 with Diamana ZF 60S

Tour Edge C723 13 deg. with Diamana Thump f75 S

Cobra LTDx 15 deg @ +1.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 70 S

Tour Edge E723 21 deg. with Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 deg 5 hybrid with Fujikura Fuel 85 S

Corey Paul Cavity Back 5-6 with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul Muscle Back 7-PW with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul 50, 54 with KBS Tour V Wedge 125g S

Corey Paul 58 with BGT ZNE 130g Stiff

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour

On 11/26/2022 at 2:23 PM, Jul89 said:

For elbow tendonitis?

Just based on reading posts here over the years, I'd say for the majority of people trying to deal with elbow pain, the prosoft inserts by themselves were not sufficient.  But there is still a smaller percentage for which it did work.   It's such a cheap and easy "fix" that it couldn't hurt to give it a try before looking at more expensive solutions.

But I will add that it's always important to get a proper medical evaluation and likely PT to fully address the problem - regardless of what you do with the clubs.   For some, even graphite can end up as only a short term solution if the condition is not properly treated medically.

On 11/27/2022 at 7:21 AM, Jul89 said:

It may be the case with you but that's actually not a common complaint.   A Well struck shot produces the least amount of vibration and impact shock - so in effect there is very little to be "reduced" or "absorbed."

Now reduced feedback from the less than well struck shot on where the miss was on the face is a much more common complaint - especially with graphite.

Edited by Stuart_G

A 1.5 gram piece of foam will do nothing to prevent elbow tendonitis or any other ailment.  Prosoft, Sensicore/VSS, wood dowels, etc just don't have the mass or physical properties to do much.  

As mentioned above, consider seeing a PT or similar. Increasing strength and flexibility along with a good warm up and recovery plan can't be beat.  

• Like 1

Im already seeing a therapist. I know what to do to keep it from getting too problematic. When there is a slight pain I massage it with a mini black roll in stretched position. Also working to build strength. I do not currently have full blown tendonitis. But I did many many times in the past. Now I know how to handle it.

Id much rather know exactly where I hit the ball on the clubface. It doesn‘t mean I hit thousands of balls off center, I‘d try to correct the impact position.

I ordered Titleist, that is how I got to play without Prosoft. They do not offer to install Prosoft. Adding them would require pulling the grips.

Edited by Jul89

I tried all the inserts, then realized nothing is better than graphite shafts with regard to pain minimization.

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

Right, so did I. I am giving steelshafts a shot though. There is no recoil prototype or steelfiber i125 to try in Titleist heads (or any other) where I am from. Unless were talking soccer, sports are not that popular.

I need a low launch low spin setup and graphite shafts usually don‘t do that. Especially not the ones fitters have to try.

Will have to see how it goes now. I do not have acute tendonitis, I‘m just prone to it. 

Edited by Jul89

Years ago I ordered my Ping irons with their proprietary Cushin inserts. After that when I went with other brands I started putting the Pro Soft insert in all my irons.  Since I've always had inserts for the past 30 years it's hard to compare clubs without inserts.  What I can say is that being in my 70's and playing lots of golf I've never had arm or hand pain so logic says they probably work.  If I could only say the same about my knees. 😟 

Edited by cristphoto

I've had more relief from regular use of a Theraband Bar than I have had with inserts.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

I played graphite + prosoft and still had the elbow flare up. I got it to go away though by rolling the elbow in a stretched position and flossing. Also I didn‘t stop my hobbies which are Golf and Powerlifting. I only reduced the intensity and volume somewhat until it got better. I think I can get used to steel shafts pretty much the same way.

I have an early release and that is probably why I am prone to this. 

17 hours ago, Jul89 said:

I ordered Titleist, that is how I got to play without Prosoft. They do not offer to install Prosoft. Adding them would require pulling the grips.

Not necessarily.  Most OEM's will allow you to order the clubs without the grips installed.   If you ask, they just put the grips in the box separately so you can install them after getting the clubs.

20 minutes ago, Jul89 said:

I have an early release and that is probably why I am prone to this. 

No.  An early release is not (by itself) a contributor to tendonitis.    The earlier the release, the less stress on the elbow (in theory).

A very late and aggressive release may antagonize any elbow condition as well but I'd guess that the biggest contributor among those with elbow problems is a very steep impact into a hard ground surface (or matt).   Of course other aspects of our lives and activities off the course can certainly contribute as well.

Edited by Stuart_G

@Jul89 Hot stone and deep tissue massage therapy made my chronic golfer's elbow all but disappear.  I did this twice a week for about a month, then every other week for about 3 or 4 more sessions.  I continue this about once a quarter.

I understand that not everyone has access to these treatments, but basically it's fascia scraping and stretching.  Youtube has the stretches and techniques for fascia scraping. 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=theraband+flexbar+golfers+elbow

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fascia+scraping+golfers+elbow

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

Right, funnily there is no deep tissue massage in this country. If there is, then it is not called deep tissue massage. It is not a thing in germany. I just wanted to know wether trying to get by without Prosoft is nuts. The answer I think I got is that it is not terribly effective, so I may get by without it if I do other things that help.

I posted a similar problem last week and a fellow members suggestion helped. 

I was using an overlap grip and he suggested an interlocking grip.

I figured if Tiger does it, I could too.......We'll it actually helped.  Still have intermittent pain but was able to complete the round without contemplating suicide 😅 

14 hours ago, Jul89 said:

Right, funnily there is no deep tissue massage in this country. If there is, then it is not called deep tissue massage. It is not a thing in germany. I just wanted to know wether trying to get by without Prosoft is nuts. The answer I think I got is that it is not terribly effective, so I may get by without it if I do other things that help.

Hellerwork therapy might be available?  It focuses on fascia layer breakdown/realignment with not only the injured part but the structures that connect to it.

It's worked wonders for my neck, back, and even a bout of costochondritis.  Good luck.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

Inserts are an easy thing to try. I thought they did help some in my steel shaft setups.

With that said I've been on the Steelfiber train for many years and I don't know why I even try anything else. I will also say they feel BETTER than any steel shaft I've hit before with all the feedback one could ever want. Can't tell where you hit it on the face with graphite? I can't even understand how that is possible. 

Is your swing technique sound? 

WITB Currently
Titleist TSR2 10*

Callaway Paradym 16.5*

Titleist TSi1 20*

Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Irons - Srixon ZX7 5-PW

Cleveland RTX6 56*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II Centershaft/Ping Tyne C

Mizuno K1-L0

Prosofts are a very subtle change, but I do prefer them in my iron sets.  Takes the real bell-ringer violence of bad mishits down a notch, but in no way throws up a roadblock to feedback IMO...  I have no problem telling where the last strike was on the face.  To me, grip choice is a bigger factor in this regard. 

That being said, I don't have tendinitis issues, but in my experiences playing with or without them, I honestly doubt inserts would help at all with this.  To try to quantify, I'd say steel w/ inserts get you about 25% closer to the feel of graphite.