Rangefinders

I've got a blue tees and it's very tricky at times. It doesn't have lock on so I will sometimes have to shoot 2 or 3 times but then I get 2-3 different yardages so not sure  which yardage is the accurate one. 

With that said I'm looking for a much better one. What's the best rangefinder out there for the money?

I was just doing this debate and ended up with the Nikon Coolshot Pro II stabilized. I was debating between the Nikon and the NX10, Bushnell V5 Tour Shift, and the Bushnell SE. 

I went with Nikon due to Bushnell's poor customer service track record and various issues that I saw come up with the Shifts (broken slope function, issues picking up flag, fogginess/water issues, etc). 

Bushnell has the new Pro X3 that might be worth looking into, but their customer service just turns me off...especially when they are all $300+ investments. 

• Like 3

I've had a Bushnell V4 for about 3 years now and have never had an issue. I honestly don't even know if I've had to replace the battery.

You should be fine with either a Bushnell or a Nikon like the previous posted suggested. How you treat it makes a huge difference in longevity regardless of brand. Don't let it get wet, don't let it bang around in the cart basket, and etc...

Edited by Abh159

25 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

I've had a Bushnell V4 for about 3 years now and have never had an issue. I honestly don't even know if I've had to replace the batter.

You should be fine with either a Bushnell or a Nikon like the previous posted suggested. How you treat it makes a huge difference in longevity regardless of brand. Don't let it get wet, don't let it bag around in the cart basket, and etc...

That's why I like one with strong magnet. That's only best part about one I have now is the magnet

4 minutes ago, Longdriver295 said:

That's why I like one with strong magnet. That's only best part about one I have now is the magnet

I knew a few people who also liked that feature. They liked it right up until they left it stuck to the cart rail and never saw it again 🤣.

Whether riding or walking I always just keep mine in the rangefinder pocket of my bag. Doesn't take any longer to grab it and shoot compared to if I used the magnet and stuck it to the cart. Plus keeping it in there ensures that I know where it is 100% of the time.

I will pay for leupold everytime.  Their customer service is 1000% the best I've ever dealt with.  I've had 3 and will continue to buy them.  

1st I bought one used and it was out of warranty, did somwthing and it no longer worked correctly, they sent me a brand new upgraded model.  

2nd said model was taken out of my golf cart, I called them up and they gave me 50% off a brand new range finder.   They are just a top notch outfit. 

Also they don't feel cheap like bushnell 

• Like 1

If you can live without the magnet, get a Nikon stabilized one, period. Not even worth considering a non-stabilized rangefinder at this point in time IMHO. It's that much better. But they don't have magnets. 

My course has reflectors on the flagsticks and with the Nikon I can reliably get distances to carry a front bunker (laser the lip) and to the flag behind it, every time, in a couple of seconds. Both from normal distances like 100-150 or even, if for some reason I wanted to know, do it from the tee box of a 500-yard Par 5. The image is that steady.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rustyneversleeps said:

I was just doing this debate and ended up with the Nikon Coolshot Pro II stabilized. I was debating between the Nikon and the NX10, Bushnell V5 Tour Shift, and the Bushnell SE. 

I went with Nikon due to Bushnell's poor customer service track record and various issues that I saw come up with the Shifts (broken slope function, issues picking up flag, fogginess/water issues, etc). 

Bushnell has the new Pro X3 that might be worth looking into, but their customer service just turns me off...especially when they are all $300+ investments. 

How is the Nikon? I'm thinking of moving to that for some other various reasons. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I had a Blue Tees rangefinder before. Abso piece of crap. I got it as a gift from Dicks Sporting goods and without the receipt they wont replace it, they wont fix it and they wont help you. Obviously the person who bought it for me 5 months after it broke didn't have the receipt readily available and I don't blame them at all for that

I will NEVER buy a Blue Tees rangefinder ever again. Problem was that I dropped it (on grass) and it was super blurry and they wont fix it. So so sad. 

Instead I bought a Bushnell Pro X3 and it has been the best thing ever. Love it and has no issues with it ever. 

Rangefinders are something that I will not cheap out on ever again. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, makana said:

I had a Blue Tees rangefinder before. Abso piece of crap. I got it as a gift from Dicks Sporting goods and without the receipt they wont replace it, they wont fix it and they wont help you. Obviously the person who bought it for me 5 months after it broke didn't have the receipt readily available and I don't blame them at all for that

I will NEVER buy a Blue Tees rangefinder ever again. Problem was that I dropped it (on grass) and it was super blurry and they wont fix it. So so sad. 

Instead I bought a Bushnell Pro X3 and it has been the best thing ever. Love it and has no issues with it ever. 

Rangefinders are something that I will not cheap out on ever again. 

I've had a Bushnell for at least 10 years. Probably closer to 15 now. The thing just will not die!

Honestly I have the CaddyTek rangefinder currently sold by Costco.com for $129. It has slope, but doesn't have lock on. 

It might not be the absolute best rangefinder on the market, but it might be the best for the money. And it's Costco, so if you have any issues and you want to return it, you're good. 

As for the question about shooting a pin multiple times and getting a few different numbers, I've never had it vary beyond a 1-3 yard range. I attribute that to the fact that my hands are a little shaky, not any issue with the rangefinder. 

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

4 hours ago, rustyneversleeps said:

Not sure what you experienced with their CS, but this email was from today and speaks to my opposite experience.

8C489791-77B2-4CC8-AE27-07DDFABB7FD9.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

How is the Nikon? I'm thinking of moving to that for some other various reasons. 

Its supposed to be here tomorrow - we are deep in snow right now, so wont be able to use it on the course until Spring

18 minutes ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

Not sure what you experienced with their CS, but this email was from today and speaks to my opposite experience.

8C489791-77B2-4CC8-AE27-07DDFABB7FD9.jpeg

Right on - glad you had good experience with them. Just look through prior rangefinder threads and other posts and you'll see plenty of issues with CS

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rustyneversleeps said:

Its supposed to be here tomorrow - we are deep in snow right now, so wont be able to use it on the course until Spring

Right on - glad you had good experience with them. Just look through prior rangefinder threads and other posts and you'll see plenty of issues with CS

Ah ok I'm kinda in the same boat, I may just buy one if I have some spare cash to blow. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I like my Blue Tees Max!  It’s been all I need in a rangefinder plus, the night shift is a cool feature for bad weather days or evening rounds.  I’ve had no issues so can’t speak to customer service.  Hopefully I won’t need to.  It was under 300 bucks so I don’t expect it to be a Nikon or Leapold 

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

37" Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour W/Superstroke Zenergy Tour 13"

Chrome Tour 

1 hour ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

I like my Blue Tees Max!  It’s been all I need in a rangefinder plus, the night shift is a cool feature for bad weather days or evening rounds.  I’ve had no issues so can’t speak to customer service.  Hopefully I won’t need to.  It was under 300 bucks so I don’t expect it to be a Nikon or Leapold 

Thats the one I have is the S3 Max. I just don't like it at all. Not when there's much better ones out there. I really miss pin seeker or lock on. I know this one is supposed to lock on but it don't. I can shoot a pin 150 yds away and it says 200 cause it's picked up something in the background 

I have had my Nikon Coolshot Pro Stableized (v1?) since Feb 2020 and love it. Slope and elevation functions, locks onto the target quickly and has a tournament mode as well. No magnet, but I walk so I don't need it.

I think I've replaced the battery twice in that time frame.

Not sure how much better the v2 is.

• 1 month later...

Just received a refurbished coolshot pro stabilized and really liked the features. Unfortunately the first time I used it on the course before pressing the power button everything in the viewfinder would shake badly. Press the power button and the stabilized feature would work fine. Soon as the stabilization turned off, the view would again start shaking badly. Removed the battery and still would shake. Am having to send it back. On a separate note, used my friends nx10 and I really liked how it would quickly give pin distance. Just put the pin anywhere in the circle of the viewfinder and bang, distance given. Spend much less time getting a pin measurement. Viewfinder info not as clear and nice as the coolshot but otherwise worked great. Not too sure how well to hit bunker lips but for hitting the pin it was great.

The Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized is an awesome rangefinder and has great optics, but another great option is the Cobalt Q-series rangefinder.  It has great optics (on-par with Nikon) and lifetime warranty. The actual rangefinder is a result of the Maven group (high end hunting optics) and Laser Tech (developed lasers for the US Govt, USGA, NASA, etc…) coming together to form the cobalt rangefinder resulting in an awesome rangefinder that is super quick  and very accurate.  When shooting a flag with trees in the background this rangefinder always seems to find the flag and I’ve yet to have it mistakenly give the background distance of the trees or other background noise.

ps - I have no affiliation with cobalt just a happy customer.

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

Would not buy a non-stabilized rangefinder.  Press the button and no shakes so you know you got the target.

As far as magnets go, there are plenty of magnet straps on Amazon for $20.  That's what I did.  

Pro tip:  place the rangefinder with the magnet on your clubs and not the golf cart after you shoot the distance.  It hasn't fallen off my clubs in two years, and I have never forgotten my clubs, so I have never forgotten my rangefinder.

Nikon....I've had a few Bushnells over the years, the Nikon I gave to my son for his bag is 12 years old, still works great.  I 'upgraded' to a Coolshot 50i couple years ago as has a magnet, works every time.  On sale, got both (years apart) for under $200....

Thought about stabilizer version, but to me not worth the cost, as if I'm that far  out distance to flag sort of irrelevant.

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 12:15 PM, Longdriver295 said:

I've got a blue tees and it's very tricky at times. It doesn't have lock on so I will sometimes have to shoot 2 or 3 times but then I get 2-3 different yardages so not sure  which yardage is the accurate one. 

With that said I'm looking for a much better one. What's the best rangefinder out there for the money?

Avoid Bushnell unless you have both money and time to waste. Their V3 stuff was great. Lasts forever and no issues. Customer service and every model since then has been awful. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AmateurAmateur said:

Avoid Bushnell unless you have both money and time to waste. Their V3 stuff was great. Lasts forever and no issues. Customer service and every model since then has been awful. 

I’ve had good customer service with them lately getting a replacement case. The V3 was great. Still using mine after 8 years, and I’m wondering when it’ll give out so I can upgrade.

12 hours ago, TeeBee1 said:

I’ve had good customer service with them lately getting a replacement case. The V3 was great. Still using mine after 8 years, and I’m wondering when it’ll give out so I can upgrade.

Replacement cases generally aren’t an issue. Costs them pennies to keep you happy by replacing that. Wait until you have a real issue and you see them for their true self. Working in the industry as well you see it happen weekly to customers who shelled out big bucks for a product that ends up being nothing but a headache for them. 

You also see it with foresight sports now too, now that it’s been bought by Bushnell a lot of people I know who have GC Quads say getting support for issues is night and day different from what it was back when foresight wasn’t under the Bushnell umbrella. 

Edited by AmateurAmateur

3 hours ago, AmateurAmateur said:

Replacement cases generally aren’t an issue. Costs them pennies to keep you happy by replacing that. Wait until you have a real issue and you see them for their true self. Working in the industry as well you see it happen weekly to customers who shelled out big bucks for a product that ends up being nothing but a headache for them. 

You also see it with foresight sports now too, now that it’s been bought by Bushnell a lot of people I know who have GC Quads say getting support for issues is night and day different from what it was back when foresight wasn’t under the Bushnell umbrella. 

Wow this doesn’t sound good. I am in the market for a rangefinder and need to do more research.