Club Champion build price?

I got fitted for clubs at Club Champion.  Is this a fair price do you all think?

4-AW Rogue Irons

Golf Pride CPX

Aerotech Steel fiber i80 stiff

All in price $2075

I parted everything out and I'd be at around $14-1500 but then I'd need someone to install it but I'd have another set of new Callaway shafts too...

Appreciate Any thoughts?

Based on your math, CC is charging you about $75 per club for the build.  I've had some clubs reshafted at various places near me at the charge has been $20-$25 for the work on top of the cost of the shaft/grip etc.  So, $75 per club feels pretty steep to me.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

11 hours ago, Jeff58 said:

If you order your setup through Callaway, you’re at around $1850. While standard thinking may be that they’re charging you about $200 to build a set of clubs that may have been built by Callaway anyway, you can also consider the $200 as insurance. If you have Callaway build the CC configuration and it does not go well in any way, you’re screwed.

If you have CC build them, you should be able to have them verify the length/fort/lie/SW, and if they don’t work out for you, which has happened with CC once or twice, pressure them to correct them. If the configuration is generally good, they should be willing to alter lofts to optimize gapping. It’s cheap insurance IMO.

That was about the same price I came to,  and I agree with you.  In addition, was his price including the fitting?  Does he get discount on fitting if he buys from  CC?  All in all, for a 10% difference, I would stick with them.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jeff58 said:

If you order your setup through Callaway, you’re at around $1850. While standard thinking may be that they’re charging you about $200 to build a set of clubs that may have been built by Callaway anyway, you can also consider the $200 as insurance. If you have Callaway build the CC configuration and it does not go well in any way, you’re screwed.

If you have CC build them, you should be able to have them verify the length/fort/lie/SW, and if they don’t work out for you, which has happened with CC once or twice, pressure them to correct them. If the configuration is generally good, they should be willing to alter lofts to optimize gapping. It’s cheap insurance IMO.

Also with a lot of these higher end fitting studios comes a performance guarantee where it's essentially an "I don't like it clause" and they switch it out for free for something that works better.  They understand that fittings are based on data from one day and can sometimes not be 100% accurate to a player.  It's like paying for cancellation insurance on a trip.  Some opt for it every time just in case, others say no dice and don't bother.  Some can go their whole life and never an issue buying off the rack/having an OEM build it, others might not be so lucky.  It just comes down to your risk tolerance and what you are willing to pay for piece of mind.

Edited by WristySwing
  • Like 2

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

On 12/3/2022 at 2:36 PM, Klubster said:

You can order with those options directly from Callaway for less than CC price.

Maybe can’t get the SF i80 from Cally?

I know I couldn’t get my Apex ‘21 set with that shaft built by Callaway. Only i95, fc90 and fc80. That was last year.

Tried to order through PGASS

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 4:45 PM, WristySwing said:

Also with a lot of these higher end fitting studios comes a performance guarantee where it's essentially an "I don't like it clause" and they switch it out for free for something that works better.  They understand that fittings are based on data from one day and can sometimes not be 100% accurate to a player.  It's like paying for cancellation insurance on a trip.  Some opt for it every time just in case, others say no dice and don't bother.  Some can go their whole life and never an issue buying off the rack/having an OEM build it, others might not be so lucky.  It just comes down to your risk tolerance and what you are willing to pay for piece of mind.

Agree on the insurance piece. Also agree that there is a premium for their build beyond what some may say is reasonable. And I'm someone that understands the difference between an assembler and a builder.

I'm a former customer...

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* w/ Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 5S

3W: TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* @ 15.75* w/ Fujikura Speeder NX 60SR

Hybrid: Ping G430 22* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 70R

Hybrid: Ping G430 26* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 70R

Irons: Srixon ZX5 (6i-PW) w/ VA Raijin 84R
Sand/Gap Wedge: Artisan 50S, 54S w/ VA Raijin 84R

Lob Wedge: Artisan 58R w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 850GH R

Putter: Artisan 0720
Ball: Srixon Z Star XV or Diamond

Bag: Vessel VLS DXR Stand

• 2 weeks later...

My experience at Club Champion has been that they charge retail prices for all components and do not charge a build fee. Has this changed since I was there in 2019? 

Ping G430 LST 10.5* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 60 X
Ping G430 Max 15* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 70 X

Srixon ZX MKII 3H // Fujikura Speeder 904H S
Ping Blueprint S (4-W) // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Titleist SM9 50F, 56S, 60L // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Byron Morgan DH89

1 hour ago, robbie91 said:

My experience at Club Champion has been that they charge retail prices for all components and do not charge a build fee. Has this changed since I was there in 2019? 

Not sure how they break down their pricing but when I got fitted with CC last year they had me spec'd out with a set of Srixon ZX5 irons and wanted $2400. I could order the exact same set/specs (shafts, grips, lie, etc) online for about half the price they were asking.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AzRoger said:

Not sure how they break down their pricing but when I got fitted with CC last year they had me spec'd out with a set of Srixon ZX5 irons and wanted $2400. I could order the exact same set/specs (shafts, grips, lie, etc) online for about half the price they were asking.

Interesting. My experience has always been that they charge straight retail prices that mirror something like the golfworks catalogue. Now, golfworks prices are up near msrp, so if you are fitted into a graphite shaft you are probably looking at $60 for the shaft and $12 for the grip, but I've never been charged anything over the catalogue price or charged extra for the build. Whether or not it's really a good deal when you can pick up the components from an eBay seller for half the price is a different story. That said, I do have a friend who tried to piece his set out himself and ended up with a nightmare when the stock heads were too heavy for the shafts he was fitted into. 

Ping G430 LST 10.5* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 60 X
Ping G430 Max 15* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 70 X

Srixon ZX MKII 3H // Fujikura Speeder 904H S
Ping Blueprint S (4-W) // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Titleist SM9 50F, 56S, 60L // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Byron Morgan DH89

9 hours ago, robbie91 said:

Interesting. My experience has always been that they charge straight retail prices that mirror something like the golfworks catalogue. Now, golfworks prices are up near msrp, so if you are fitted into a graphite shaft you are probably looking at $60 for the shaft and $12 for the grip, but I've never been charged anything over the catalogue price or charged extra for the build. Whether or not it's really a good deal when you can pick up the components from an eBay seller for half the price is a different story. That said, I do have a friend who tried to piece his set out himself and ended up with a nightmare when the stock heads were too heavy for the shafts he was fitted into. 

I wasn't referring to buying the components on eBay, got the price directly from Srixon online, the shaft CC had me in was included in Srixon's standard offering so no upcharge there.

Edited by AzRoger
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2023 at 8:12 PM, AzRoger said:

They somehow gotta pay for the storefront, couches, Trackman, commissions and inventory.

13 hours ago, Tennesseehorn said:

They somehow gotta pay for the storefront, couches, Trackman, commissions and inventory.

Little do they realize they could run CC out of a double wide trailer in the middle of a 6 lane major metro highway AND people would still come by to pay more than their buddies.

Edited by BB28403
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps you don't need

Puring?  <Braces himself>

Seems they have recently lumped in Puring and build fee together, to make the prices simpler with less "add ons.". Harder to say no to a single price.  

I won't get into the pure or don't concept...that's personal preference, nothing more and a $$ Q...always best to avoid that debate.  <ducks>.

I don't mind the build fee, and I've used their guarantee more than once. Flat out, some of their "assemblers" and "fitters" aren't great...world we live in, sometimes your only option.    

But don't just suggest they fix it...force the issue.  Go back for multiple visits to avoid the 'one good day trap' etc.  If you use their services to their fullest (especially if you can't build yourself), it's not the worst deal.  Oh, and reuse stuff....you paid for it.  If it works, have them build your new, shiny toy, with just the heads...it's half-hoing.  

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

I’ve used CC a few times to fit a set of clubs I’ve owned and brought to them.  So it might not be “apples to apples”.  But when I consider the build quality, fitting experience, and fitting guarantee, I’ll pay it gladly.  Considering every time I’ve had GG do a simple reshaft of an iron or wedge it was wrong, I’ll pay the small premium every time.

• Like 2

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

• 3 months later...

I stopped by a local CC today to finally build out some SM9 wedges that I received for Christmas and was unable to build/order direct from Vokey. 4 new SM9s  all with wedge flex shafts, getting std x100 in the 50, and s400 in the 54/58/60. Breakdown of costs:

Each X100/S400 shaft, $80, this includes shaft and install. (Wanted $106 for Tour Issue shafts)
Each MCC +4 Midsize grip, $18, this includes install. 

More or Less, walked out for $437 after taxes and maybe another small fee. Their “install” fee was $50/ club as I was tempted to get shafts on my own. 

Gut told me to sell them on here for a discount, and then re order but specs I want and would have came out $300 cheaper probably. However, I just want to play with my damn wedges so I not the bullet and had them do them. 

2 other things. 1) I like that I can compare SW to my irons and have them adjust for me. 2) I did not like the constant try to upsell me tour issue shafts and having them purred. Reiterating that I would immediately notice a difference in those compared to standard (stating I was making a mistake not doing that). 

Let’s see how it all comes out. With all of that said, I think I will tempt to build my own irons out in the future for those prices. 

cheers. 

What's in the bag:

Driver: Taylormade M1 8.5 w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.5

Fairway Wood: Sim Max 3w w/ HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.5

Irons: Taylormade P7MC 4-P w/ DG X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 set (50/54/58) w/ DG S400

Putter: Scotty Mil Spec 

On 12/3/2022 at 4:09 PM, SteelieD said:

For about the cost of one club assembly from CC you could buy some epoxy, double sided tape and an inexpensive swing weight scale. 🤔

I did this years ago and the benefit is truly that you can forever shaft your clubs.  I even made a progressive set that went from D2 in 3 iron to D4 in PW, it was fun and it a great build and set.  Except that it had kbs shafts which I didn’t get along with but not so much worse than modus to ruin the build so I sold them regrettably as I would pay what I sold the set for for best up heads only right now, mistake selling those Vegas...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 8:48 AM, rams8821 said:

I got fitted for clubs at Club Champion.  Is this a fair price do you all think?

4-AW Rogue Irons

Golf Pride CPX

Aerotech Steel fiber i80 stiff

All in price $2075

I parted everything out and I'd be at around $14-1500 but then I'd need someone to install it but I'd have another set of new Callaway shafts too...

Appreciate Any thoughts?

Well, they are guaranteed, custom and on spec.

You should also get 3 one hour Trackman sessions , which around here run anywhere from $45-65 hr

There are some other perks that go along as well.

Are you a vet? Ask for 10% off.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

• 4 weeks later...

If you have used CC - ask them to bring the clubs in with the shaft you want from the manufacturer.  As some have said, they will pull them and give them to you, so get the best free shaft and sell them - they tend not to mention that they will do that for you.... but will say that it wil take longer to get there since it's custom order vs just the heads.

Many of the fitters won't charge fittings either if you become a regular (good or bad as I always end up with something....).  Last time around I bought 4 Glide 4.0 wedges and swapped the shafts for my current gamer shafts to the Glide 3.0 that I sold.

Tour AD XC 6S Callaway Smoke 3D 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

• 5 months later...
On 6/28/2023 at 9:16 AM, Wardman said:

If you have used CC - ask them to bring the clubs in with the shaft you want from the manufacturer.  As some have said, they will pull them and give them to you, so get the best free shaft and sell them - they tend not to mention that they will do that for you.... but will say that it wil take longer to get there since it's custom order vs just the heads.

I've read numerous times that part of the reason CC charges full retail price even when you are ordering a custom shaft is that they can't get just the heads, they have to buy the entire club which is delivered to them unassembled.  Would love to know if that is true. 

When I went in for an iron fitting early in the season the outcome was that they could get me a set of JPX 923 HM HL and "reuse" my Modus Tour 105 shafts from my current irons; however I was paying full retail price for the heads so I was kind of dumbfounded as to why I would do that instead of just ordering a new set with the Modus 105 already installed or at the very least get a new set of 105 modus.  It was like they wanted to charge me full retail price on the heads, and then full retail price on buying a set of modus 105 a la carte even though Mizuno offers them at no cost.  Then build fees. 

With so many variations of stories, I'm curious whether or not CC stores are individual franchises or if they are all corporately owned.  It seems like each store makes it up as they go.  You can get just heads or they have to pay for the full club.  You can keep the stock shaft if you ask or you can't.  Puring of clubs is mandatory with the build or you can skip it.  I've heard all of the above from various sources all within the last year or two.....

On 12/2/2023 at 12:34 AM, ChitownM2 said:

I've read numerous times that part of the reason CC charges full retail price even when you are ordering a custom shaft is that they can't get just the heads, they have to buy the entire club which is delivered to them unassembled.  Would love to know if that is true. 

When I went in for an iron fitting early in the season the outcome was that they could get me a set of JPX 923 HM HL and "reuse" my Modus Tour 105 shafts from my current irons; however I was paying full retail price for the heads so I was kind of dumbfounded as to why I would do that instead of just ordering a new set with the Modus 105 already installed or at the very least get a new set of 105 modus.  It was like they wanted to charge me full retail price on the heads, and then full retail price on buying a set of modus 105 a la carte even though Mizuno offers them at no cost.  Then build fees. 

With so many variations of stories, I'm curious whether or not CC stores are individual franchises or if they are all corporately owned.  It seems like each store makes it up as they go.  You can get just heads or they have to pay for the full club.  You can keep the stock shaft if you ask or you can't.  Puring of clubs is mandatory with the build or you can skip it.  I've heard all of the above from various sources all within the last year or two.....

I've got lots of shafts, they try to say longer lead time, not standard, etc....  But have also brought heads from clubs I bought on line and they specify "customer supplied" heads.  Granted, there is work to do and you can try a multitude of shafts there which is worth the price of admission to me so I am willing to pay for it. 

But my buddy just got his Ventus VC for about 1/2 the price at PGASS.  Just saying, if you know what you want, get it.  Loyal customers don't usually pay for fittings, so it's about a wash in that scenario.

It's a premium service I cannot find elsewhere and you need to decide if that is worth it.  But... I have 100% gotten stock shafts when I ask (they do try the "pured" thing and that they are the tour versions they sell with less variances and you can see those facts listed on line at the shaft manufactures sites too).

Tour AD XC 6S Callaway Smoke 3D 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

Club Champion is a great way to find clubs that fit if you can afford it.  Lots of choices and fitters with expertise in what they do.

If you are well off you can buy the clubs from them and get a nice package deal.  Which is what I did.

Another option may be to be up front with the fitter when you exchange emails and specify that you want to buy stock shafts elsewhere and are willing to pay for their time to find the stock options that work for you.