The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)

touch

I played three 18 hole rounds back to back for the first time since last year, so my recovery is ahead of schedule. Today was my fourteenth time teeing it up this year. I did cheat and take a power cart on Sunday as walking three in a row is probably a bit much. My round on Sunday riding was my worst of the year and I bounced back with a good round today with hickories, despite hitting for the cycle. For those not acquainted, the cycle requires you to have a triple, double, bogey, par and birdie in the round. 

On the other subject, the lob wedge, despite having over 250 clubs, none of them are over 56* in loft. I have tried more lofted clubs but found them less reliable than a 56. Most of my friends carry them but shouldn’t, with a few exceptions.

It looks like the weatherman is not going to cooperate for at least three days so my next game will likely be Friday. 

• Like 3

Did you miss Chicago today chisag?  😄

Man they start the MLB season too early. In many places you will be playing in cold and crappy weather for a while.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3,5,7  FW's  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4      5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790   6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

... I hope you guys are watching Iowa vs LSU. Caitlin Clark is putting on an insane 3 point show. Reminds me of the best college 3 point shooter I ever saw:

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

5 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I hope you guys are watching Iowa vs LSU. Caitlin Clark is putting on an insane 3 point show. Reminds me of the best college 3 point shooter I ever saw:

Ladies golf and basketball isn't for me. Glad you are enjoying it athlete dude. Can we still be friends? 😅

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, touch said:

Ladies golf and basketball isn't for me. Glad you are enjoying it athlete dude. Can we still be friends? 😅

... Of course. I have zero interest in curling or hockey. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CC isn’t being as obnoxious and whiney tonight either. I’m guessing dad had a heart to heart with her. Just let being the best player on the floor be enough.  

And she’s been incredible tonight. Close to a triple double (still doesn’t play any defense though). 

Edited by deadsolid...shank
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Petethreeput said:

I use a 52/56/60 setup with my PW at 48*.  If I end up getting new irons I will keep it for a hot minute before I think about changing the wedges to fit the gaps.

Until the yips I used the 60 for any shot within 75 yards, but I no longer do that.  I use the 56* with higher bounce for most shots outside of the sticky wicket around the greens.  Oddly enough, I don't practice my putting but I do chip about 40 balls prior to playing on the chipping green to get a feel for the green speed for the day.  And I exclusively chip with the 60 because it forces me to really stay in the shot or I hit it poorly.  So for me its the canary in the coalmine before I hit the course.  If I am pinching them then I know it is going to be a good day.  Even so, with the 60 I still have a 1:1 flight to roll ratio on the short chips I hit prior to the round.

The 60 has a much lower bounce (6 I think vs the 12 I have on the 56*) so it's pretty danged good on the tighter lies in regards to getting under the ball even though I open it up.  In the grand scheme of things it is a silly club for a guy of my level to try and play, but what the heck, when I pull it off I feel like a million bucks.

Great post. Loved the details. Most good players aren't a 3 if they don't dedicate plenty of time practicing those around the green wedge shots. Props Pete. 

When did the chipping yips set in? I don't remember you speaking of that. You are cured now though aye? 

May be an image of 2 people, blonde hair, motorcycle and scooter

• Like 1

I guess I'm in the minority with my wedges.  I have 3 (46, 50, 58) and I use the 46 all the time from everywhere but the sand where the 58 is used.  50 is unleashed when I absolutely must carry over something...i.e. water or sand.  If I'm close to the green and need to chip it's the 46 or 9 iron or sometimes hybrid if I can get the ball rolling.

Michael Griffin Keep It Simple GIF by The Roku Channel

• Like 4

@chisag  Iowa looked great as a team but Clark is the show and so impressive.  I don't think the final score (94-87) was indicative of the game as Iowa was in command the whole 2nd half.  Very entertaining game as I think this next till will be.

UConn is so tough even with younger players and a untried bench.  Injury-riddled but Paige Buckets can will a team to win!   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NCLancer said:

@chisag  Iowa looked great as a team but Clark is the show and so impressive.  I don't think the final score (94-87) was indicative of the game as Iowa was in command the whole 2nd half.  Very entertaining game as I think this next till will be.

UConn is so tough even with younger players and a untried bench.  Injury-riddled but Paige Buckets can will a team to win!   

... Right there with you and looking forward to Uconn. I don't normally watch women's basketball but I will watch the Tournament. It has been highly entertaining when they have a super star playing, especially shooters/scorers. Clark hit two of her 3 pointers from 28 and 30 feet. 🤪

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, chisag said:

Jimmer Fredette!  NYS High School basketball legend!  Went to Glens Falls High School which is about 2 hours south of my hometown.  He was a dominate scoring guard all though HS but D1 coaches weren't keen on him, and he went out to BYU and was successful.  I always thought he'd end up at Syracuse but not everyone wanted to play for Jim Boeheim.     

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Right there with you and looking forward to Uconn. I don't normally watch women's basketball but I will watch the Tournament. It has been highly entertaining when they have a super star playing, especially shooters/scorers. Clark hit two of her 3 pointers from 28 and 30 feet. 🤪

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, touch said:

Great post. Loved the details. Most good players aren't a 3 if they don't dedicate plenty of time practicing those around the green wedge shots. Props Pete. 

When did the chipping yips set in? I don't remember you speaking of that. You are cured now though aye? 

May be an image of 2 people, blonde hair, motorcycle and scooter

A guy can only see Loverboy so many times.  They just seem to pop up where I am.  Pretty funny.  I did see the Police as a kid and they were great and seen Sting a couple times since.  And I thought of this song as well when I wrote that.

I bet I got them about 6 years ago.  I was trying to learn the low short skip/stop and developed a quick standby move into the ball.  Took a few years to get over, I would guess I got to 50/50 good/bad about 3 years ago.  I now will hit a really crappy one that feels yippy every 4-5 rounds.  It isn’t the yip but a bad move at the ball and it feels like it did for those 3-4 years.

I dreaded any shot within 15 yards of the green.

Edited by Petethreeput
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NCLancer said:

Jimmer Fredette!  NYS High School basketball legend!  Went to Glens Falls High School which is about 2 hours south of my hometown.  He was a dominate scoring guard all though HS but D1 coaches weren't keen on him, and he went out to BYU and was successful.  I always thought he'd end up at Syracuse but not everyone wanted to play for Jim Boeheim.     

You have to work on defense to play in Boeheim’s 1-3-1 zone. It’s harder than playing man to man. Not a good fit for everyone. I don’t think anyone has yet to figure out how Carmelo ended up there!😀 Jimmer was a perfect fit in the run and gun BYU offense. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Thanks Ryan for expertly installing my new putter grip that I have liked very much right from the start. You do the best work. 

My golf buddy, coworker, and BFCC's newest assistant pro just got his new irons. It's another Titleist guy boys. 😃 This is the second set of Titleist irons Ryan has bagged. He played Mizuno irons for years back in his HS years in Jacksonville and 1/2 of his college playing days at Montreat College here locally. 

Dial those sassy new sticks in my brother. 

Set make up and other details

new

T200 2 iron w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-iz 

4-6  T150  w/Proj X 6.0

7-9  T100  w/Proj X 6.0

existing 

Vokey wedges with custom paint fill and stamping

46,50,54,58   w/ Proj X 6.0 

grips

Golf Pride New Decade MC red and black     Wolfpack colors! 

He told me the T150's were really flying during his first range session with them. Something about hitting his 4 iron nearly 230. 💥  Ah youth. 

I'm grateful that Ryan and I now play together pretty frequently and he is a new playing buddy of mine. He makes me play better. You gents know how that works. 🏌️‍♀️

The last two weeks Ryan and I played with different dudes. We are making an effort to play together next week.

I remember your recent even par at Cummings Cove and 1 over at Connestee Falls (two of the more tilt a whirl hilly courses that we play) kid. I can't wait to tee it up with you and see how your new irons perform. 

Ryan is currently a +2.

Edited by touch
  • Like 2

999 ! 

giphy.gif ?cid=6c09b952sivydsdajhfzg3itoidhlngvsjkcu1jihoatsykb&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy. gif&ct=g

• Like 2

There's ya boy from this past Saturday ...

image.png.641aa8f266e2f073629e7284e3a51b69.png

Shoulda got my man James' number, fella second from right left. Smooth swingin all day. 

Edited by aenemated
  • Like 4

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ Edition

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 4-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Shoulda got my man James' number, fella second from right. Smooth swingin all day. 

Your teams serious and handsome look is off the charts aen. No wonder your team only finished mid pack. 😁

Awesome photo!

Thanks sharing Captain Grey Beard. 🏌️‍♀️

Edited by touch
  • Like 1

Do note the proper headwear! 

"What's the tattoos on your fingers?"

"Which ones?"

image.jpeg.6e20f90088e1196603be006f10614918.jpeg

That's right 😂

Tips on the right are AA88 - Aces and Eights; Dead Man's hand! Left tips is just TC*K. The Cheatin Kind. First band I played in Hollywood with, which was a dream since I first saw like Guns'n'Roses videos on MTV when I was a kid. 

One space for a big one left and it'll definitely be a golf influenced piece. Seriously been trying to figure out for many many years precisely what. PROBABLY wind up being a portrait style piece of Jack from '86. 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Do note the proper headwear! 

"What's the tattoos on your fingers?"

"Which ones?"

image.jpeg.6e20f90088e1196603be006f10614918.jpeg

That's right 😂

Tips on the right are AA88 - Aces and Eights; Dead Man's hand! Left tips is just TC*K. The Cheatin Kind. First band I played in Hollywood with, which was a dream since I first saw like Guns'n'Roses videos on MTV when I was a kid. 

One space for a big one left and it'll definitely be a golf influenced piece. Seriously been trying to figure out for many many years precisely what. PROBABLY wind up being a portrait style piece of Jack from '86. 

It's all about the headwear. 😃

image.jpeg.39db6508b0041f34da03ae323b7e9ab8.jpeg

Edited by touch
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Shoulda got my man James' number, fella second from right. Smooth swingin all day. 

Second from the right is our drummer.  Are you 'shrooming again aen? 😅

Edited by touch

16 minutes ago, touch said:

Second from the right is our drummer.  Are you 'shrooming again aen? 😅

Oop. 😂

I'd be doin well to be as cool as that fella.

"Yall cool with music?" he asked. 

I don't prefer it but I don't wanna be a jerk. So I'm like "It's cool, man."

He puts on OG R&B. James Brown is what I started playing drums to - mom LOVED OG MoTown. 

• Like 3

For aen. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, touch said:

In 10 days! 

Arnold Palmer, Augusta 1973

May be an image of 8 people and car

What a statement that red Eldorado made back then. What they didn't have quality tailors back then? Arnie's pants and that famous sports coat fit rather poorly.  😅

The Eldorado had been Cadillac's sole convertible since 1971, when it replaced the DeVille convertible, which went out of production in 1970. The 1973 edition had a base price of $7861 (52,712 today)  and weighed in at 4966 pounds.

1973 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible photo It Ran Out of Competion 2-page print ad - Picture 1 of 1

Baggy clothes and Arnie was still the coolest kid in the class.

• Like 1

Good Tuesday morning, golfers!  We had severe weather during the night and our phone alerts went off 3 times for tornado warnings.  I haven't heard of any verified tornados yet this morning, but there are reports of 70+ mph winds.  The lightning was amazing as the storm approached from the west.  

346882147_1249075159305553_8351842370892405544_n.jpg

Edited by DLeightonReid
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° with UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 Wood 14.5° with Ventus Velocore Blue-6R

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG 0311 Gen 3 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 57°

SC Phantom X 11.5  putter

11 minutes ago, DLeightonReid said:

Good Tuesday morning, golfers!  We had severe weather during the night and our phone alerts went off 3 times for tornado warnings.  I haven't heard of any verified tornados yet this morning, but there are reports of 70+ mph winds.  The lightning was amazing as the storm approached from the west.  

346882147_1249075159305553_8351842370892405544_n.jpg

I only picked the "haha" emoji for the Far Side, not the tornado warnings.  Hope your bad weather dissipates quickly and nobody has to face any negative effects of a storm.

On a positive note, the Redbirds won last night!

• Thanks 1

Not a basketball watcher, and certainly not a women's basketball watcher simply because it is never on free TV, but I did read about this young woman from Iowa.  Was it just two weeks ago she was getting roasted for being a poor sport?  It seems all is forgiven and she has found her mojo again, which I think is great.  Good for her, she was/is operating under a microscope and she has certainly held up her end of the bargain.  Very impressive.

It sounds like the tournaments are winding down and then we enter into Masters week and then its baseball.  I just want to say the Pirates are the 5-0 for the first time in 41 years.  Its good to know as they limp home to an 84 win season they could win at one point.  I don't understand having the #1 pick, they pick a "pro ready" pitcher and they start him in the minors.  Baseball is baseball.  If you pitch your job is to throw it.  If you hit, your job is to hit it.  If your not doing those things then your job is to catch it.  I get it, it's a long season.  Its a thinking man's sport so you have to learn.  Learn what?  The guy is throwing 100+ 20 times an outing, give him the ball and let him learn.  He has one start at AAA and he was "dominant" as the paper says (I didn't read the article just the headline), so clearly he has already learned how to throw.  Stephen Strasbourg, here we come.  You can't learn how to pitch if you throw 2-3 innings at a time.  Let the kid pitch, let him pitch for 7 innings, and let him figure out how to pitch not just revel in the heat.

• Like 2

• GwrxMod changed the title to The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)