2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Has TXG fallen off?

AmateurAmateur

Ever since the TXG-Club Champion acquisition, it's been pretty apparent that TXG has essentially just become another name for Club Champion. The social media posts (youtube excluded) are far removed from back what they were a few years ago. The youtube channel still provides great content, but that largely has to do with the wisdom of Ian and how well he works alongside Matt. Has anyone else felt as if the brand has been cheapened in recent months? I know a guy who works at a build shop who has seen TXG builds come in with the grips not on all the way, and blatant upsells on shafts for your typical 18 handicap golfer who were looking to stay within a budget. What say you?

• Like 1

As a businessman, I am very familiar with the process of acquisitions, anytime one company buys another, it takes approximately two years before the company that was acquisitioned, is fully absorbed or no longer invisible. 

My guess, Ian and Matt like doing video's more than selling product, maybe that and cash is behind why they sold out.  How that side of the company plays out at the retail level depends on why Club Champion bought them.  One thing is clear, upselling is a way of life to offset cost of acquisition.  Not a big follower of TXG, except, somebody wanted something and had the money, and someone probably needed the money due to poor P&L mgt.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

I have thought even well before CC that they have lost their way. I even shot Ian an email (no response back) about my thoughts. They had a much better structure to the content in the beginning. The reviews were much more detailed and Ian's insight into the fittings they did were priceless. They would even tell us if a product was not up to snuff (now never). I view there stuff for fitting info and club reviews. I do not care about lesson or swing content. I also wish they would give more in depth reviews on equipment and balls. With all that being said, they are still the best on you tube IMO...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

Their recent lessons video series has been fantastic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

• 2 weeks later...

Club Champion is owned by a private equity group.  In typical private equity fashion, they have been rapidly expanding  CC to increase the value. Given the lifespan of most deals, the PE firm will likely offload CC within the next 2 years.  TXG was one of multiple acquisitions for expansion and to make CC an international brand.  Along with TXG, they acquired fitting operations in the UK and Australia.  The majority owner of TXG was an outside investor who I'm sure was ready to cash out.  I'd anticipate that Ian fades away from CC/TXG eventually and then resurfaces elsewhere once any non-compete expires.

Years ago, Hot Stix was purchased by a private equity group.  Mark Timms founded Hit Stix.  Timms later started Cool Clubs which ironically acquired Hot Stix a couple years ago.

Edited by RobS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2023 at 9:47 PM, RobS said:

Club Champion is owned by a private equity group.  In typical private equity fashion, they have been rapidly expanding  CC to increase the value. Given the lifespan of most deals, the PE firm will likely offload CC within the next 2 years.  TXG was one of multiple acquisitions for expansion and to make CC an international brand.  Along with TXG, they acquired fitting operations in the UK and Australia.  The majority owner of TXG was an outside investor who I'm sure was ready to cash out.  I'd anticipate that Ian fades away from CC/TXG eventually and then resurfaces elsewhere once any non-compete expires.

Years ago, Hot Stix was purchased by a private equity group.  Mark Timms founded Hit Stix.  Timms later started Cool Clubs which ironically acquired Hot Stix a couple years ago.

Spot on with your time frame. Ian probably has a non compete for 5 years or so. He also might have to stay involved for certain period of time. I would expect Ian to be out by the time his non compete ends. 

( I have zero information. My old boss his company acquired by PE. He had a non compete. The PE bought another company and brought them in and his non compete was up. He was out. ) . 

I gotta say, this back and forth with Matty is a bit strange....he's gone...he's back...how long until he's back?

I love TXG but I think the channel has lost a bit of its authenticity. As others have said, critical remarks of products are few and far between versus "the old days"

What a lot of folks seem to forget is that Club Champion caters to the AVERAGE golfer...not the GolfWRX member that can tell the difference between 3/4" tipped and 1" tipped...and of course has a swing speed of 130mph cruising on a cold morning. Club Champion's brand is MUCH bigger than TXG and TXG is basically unknown among the general public. Similar to Rolex and FP Journe in the watch world or Ferrari and Pagani in cars. 

Apparently, Ian is now only doing fittings if you sign up for a $5000 minimum purchase by the way.

Channel tanked with Matt left the first time.

Loyal followers suspected, and were eventually told, that Ian did Matt dirty. That turned a lot of people off for good. Even once he was "back", it wasn't the same and the chemistry was gone, and it lost the thing that made it special.

It's just another channel now.

2 minutes ago, GoTime said:

Loyal followers suspected, and were eventually told, that Ian did Matt dirty. That turned a lot of people off for good. Even once he was "back", it wasn't the same and the chemistry was gone, and it lost the thing that made it special.

where was that confirmed?

• Like 2

No disrespect to Matt. I think he’s a good guy. But I understand that he did not a financial interest in TXG. If that is correct, then he may have had some compensation from TXG for his content.

However, (sorry Matt) Ian was driving the boat. I think TXG made Matt, not the other way around. While he’s a personable guy and their chemistry was good, his contribution was pretty much, “How did it feel?”

Robot testing of clubs, shafts and balls is by far more controlled and reliable. But robots don’t feel… yet. 🙂

• Like 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

While he’s a personable guy and their chemistry was good, his contribution was pretty much, “How did it feel?”

This should be corrected, Matt's contribution to TXG goes far beyond that. Matt actually runs a digital marketing business, and Ian actually reached out to Matt to establish an online presence for TXG; that's how the YouTube content started. The reason he's in the videos themselves is because Ian and Matt has (had?) a good chemistry on video, and Ian did not prefer talking to the camera by himself, at least in the beginning. I came across this watching an interview with Ian.

Anyways, Matt isn't even a fitter like the rest of the TXG guys, but he played a huge part in getting them where they are today.

Also, Ian and the online content doesn't truly represent TXG as a fitting service. In my personal experience, going through a couple of fittings there, it really depends on the fitter. I've had a good experience but also a rather underwhelming experience there. Their customer service and communication outside of the fitting is actually pretty bad however, and nothing like you'd expect based on their online persona.

3 hours ago, Equipoise said:

This should be corrected, Matt's contribution to TXG goes far beyond that. Matt actually runs a digital marketing business, and Ian actually reached out to Matt to establish an online presence for TXG; that's how the YouTube content started. The reason he's in the videos themselves is because Ian and Matt has (had?) a good chemistry on video, and Ian did not prefer talking to the camera by himself, at least in the beginning. I came across this watching an interview with Ian.

Thanks for the info.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

On 5/22/2023 at 7:25 PM, GoTime said:

Do tell us more.  I was there onsite, in the last 60 days, and spoke with both of them.  Any suggestions that Ian “did Matt dirty” is compete bullxxxx unless you have proof.  If you are gonna put this out there, you need to back it up. Otherwise, you are just spouting garbage

• Like 3

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

On 5/22/2023 at 5:19 PM, m_w said:

I gotta say, this back and forth with Matty is a bit strange....he's gone...he's back...how long until he's back?

I love TXG but I think the channel has lost a bit of its authenticity. As others have said, critical remarks of products are few and far between versus "the old days"

What a lot of folks seem to forget is that Club Champion caters to the AVERAGE golfer...not the GolfWRX member that can tell the difference between 3/4" tipped and 1" tipped...and of course has a swing speed of 130mph cruising on a cold morning. Club Champion's brand is MUCH bigger than TXG and TXG is basically unknown among the general public. Similar to Rolex and FP Journe in the watch world or Ferrari and Pagani in cars. 

Apparently, Ian is now only doing fittings if you sign up for a $5000 minimum purchase by the way.

Will add CC is also for the person that is willing to pay a premium price. Blows my mind that you have to pay full price for a driver (which normally includes a decent shaft) then full MSRP for the premium shaft they fit you in and they keep the stock shaft! What the…

1 hour ago, Bushwood Country Club said:

Do tell us more.  I was there onsite, in the last 60 days, and spoke with both of them.  Any suggestions that Ian “did Matt dirty” is compete bullxxxx unless you have proof.  If you are gonna put this out there, you need to back it up. Otherwise, you are just spouting garbage

Cool story. Must have been going so well for him that he decided to leave TXG, again..

On 5/31/2023 at 1:05 AM, karl1111 said:

The youtube content has defintely been neutered. 

Everything is great according to them even when its obvious the product isnt up to par, see the PXG drivers that spun at 3000-3500 rpm. 

A couple of years ago they would’ve pxg out. 

They definitely got more buddy-buddy with the club manufacturers over the years, even pre CC acquisition.

On 5/25/2023 at 8:54 PM, GoTime said:

Cool story. Must have been going so well for him that he decided to leave TXG, again..

Annnnnnddddd….you still cant back up your story 

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]